HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gregory Campbell won’t sign photos of his heroic broken leg playoff shift for Bruins

Old
09-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Lost Horizons
On the warpath

vCash: 500
Gregory Campbell won’t sign photos of his heroic broken leg playoff shift for Bruins

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:55 PM
duckchobbins

Not that I care much, but I do agree with the article

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Kate08

I could be mistaken, but didn't Puck Daddy write an article shortly after that game basically saying what he did sends the wrong message about putting your health at risk?

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:00 PM
BigGoalBrad*

Good for him.

Even if you disagree with him doing this you have to understand where he is coming from since 99% of the stuff put in front of him to sign this summer was probably pictures from the shift and at some point he is going to get at least a little bit insulted by the lack of other things people want signed by him. He probably hates those pictures of him grimacing.

And now he can get top dollar for his signature if he agrees to sign a "shift" picture he just raised the value of it.

BigGoalBrad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

I disagree with that writer.

But seriously, dude, get over yourself.??

I don't think you can tell someone else what humility is. Soupy's humility seems real to me.

He's not Willis Reed, he's not Kirk Gibson, he's Gregory Campbell.

I admire his attitude.

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:23 PM
BNHL

I think Campbell should lighten up.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:45 PM
BruinsBtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
I think Campbell should lighten up.
I agree.

Also, a bit OT, but the Chicago series really made me realize how important Cambell is. I'd trade Kelly long before him and I think he's a better player.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Scotto74
taking a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
pretty much how I feel as well.

That was a big moment for us as fan's being the playoffs and him showing what we all feel a true Bruin is at heart. Boston has always admired the guys that do whatever it takes to help the team win even more so than guys with pure skill.

And I like that about Bruins fans.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:51 PM
NotedToughGuyDKrejci

He played on a broken leg because that's what professional hockey players do. They play through pain that would have most of us crying in a corner.

He won't sign images of the event because that's how professional hockey players are. They are uncomfortable with things that seem to put them apart from or above their teammates. They don't want the individual recognition for "just doing their job."

Obviously these are generalizations, but for about 85% of the guys in the NHL they are true. I agree that it seems like he should be proud of what he did and just sign them, but if he doesn't want to, then I respect that and I respect his contributions to the Bruins.

NotedToughGuyDKrejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Kate08

I also agree with the article. It would be like Schilling refusing to sign anything related to the bloody sock. I understand wanting to be more than just an image/remembered for an injury, but it's about more than that.

Campbell, and the rest of the Bruins, really seem to "get it". I'm surprised about this one.

Old
09-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
People actually pay to get Campbells autograph?

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:01 PM
BlacknGold Barbarino

His injury, his call. Just bring something else to sign if you want an autograph. Not sure any of us is in a place to judge. Unless, of course, you've also broken your leg in front of an arena full of fans on national TV--then, feel free to go to town.

BlacknGold Barbarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:03 PM
BigGoalBrad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
I also agree with the article. It would be like Schilling refusing to sign anything related to the bloody sock. I understand wanting to be more than just an image/remembered for an injury, but it's about more than that.

Campbell, and the rest of the Bruins, really seem to "get it". I'm surprised about this one.
Lets say one day as a pro athlete you agreed to sign autographs somewhere. Lets say 1000 items were placed in front of you to sign. Lets say literally 900-950 of them were pictures of you with a facial expression looking like you needed to take a dump and knew you weren't going to make it to the bowl and were frequent reminders of a painful and a career threatening injury. Is it crazy to suggest this might bother you?

If you got into a car accident would you want to repeatedly be shown pictures of it? If you went to get a celebrity like Cameron Diaz's autograph would you bring a notoriously bad tabloid picture of her with no makeup taken by paparazi to sign or one of her after she was injured in a car accident and expect her to not get offended?

I guess I'm alone in thinking Campbell's request is reasonable. I like the fact that he has stuck up for himself here I don't think he is being a jerk. And going forward if people want a Campbell signature from the shift they can pony up and pay extra and probably 5x as much as a non injury Campbell picture. I'm sure he'll sign shift pictures for extra compensation hes only human and doesn't really make that much compared to other athletes. Mohammed Ali signed some things as Cassius Clay once he was Ali for extra money, I think the situation is 100% identical.

Old
09-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Kate08

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
Lets say one day as a pro athlete you agreed to sign autographs somewhere. Lets say 1000 items were placed in front of you to sign. Lets say literally 900-950 of them were pictures of you with a facial expression looking like you needed to take a dump and knew you weren't going to make it to the bowl and were frequent reminders of a painful and a career threatening injury. Is it crazy to suggest this might bother you?

If you got into a car accident would you want to repeatedly be shown pictures of it? If you went to get a celebrity like Cameron Diaz's autograph would you bring a notoriously bad tabloid picture of her with no makeup taken by paparazi to sign or one of her after she was injured in a car accident and expect her to not get offended?

I guess I'm alone in thinking Campbell's request is reasonable. I like the fact that he has stuck up for himself here I don't think he is being a jerk. And going forward if people want a Campbell signature from the shift they can pony up and pay extra and probably 5x as much as a non injury Campbell picture. I'm sure he'll sign shift pictures for extra compensation hes only human and doesn't really make that much compared to other athletes. Mohammed Ali signed some things as Cassius Clay once he was Ali for extra money, I think the situation is 100% identical.
Everything with you is about $$, so I'm not surprised that's where you're ending up with this.

And you're really comparing an image of a car accident to a sports injury?

Old
09-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:

You're not alone. Many of us have taken that stance.

As for Cameron Diaz...I wouldn't even ask for her autograph.

A phone number would suffice!!

Old
09-06-2013, 03:12 PM
RetiredWBC8

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Amen....his choice, but to see that picture which named inscribed would be quite uplifting...

RetiredWBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:14 PM
BigGoalBrad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Everything with you is about $$, so I'm not surprised that's where you're ending up with this.

And you're really comparing an image of a car accident to a sports injury?
To the guy who broke his leg it is.

Me and you are cheering and going nuts. He spent his summer hobbling on crutches and has to worry about if he'll be able to play hockey the same way again. Not much different if I were to break my leg on an errant puck in mens league vs in the car.

We don't have to live with the injury he does.

As for the money issue I thought I made a good analogy comparing him potentially signing autographs of the injury in the future to Ali's willingness to occasionally sign as Cassius Clay. (A friend of mine is related to one of Ali's managers/merchandise people so I know something first hand about that situation and why he will sign as Cassius Clay.)

Old
09-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Seidenbergy

Quote:
Bad examples. Neither of those involve pics of events that many consider to be the most inspirational thing they've ever seen during a professional sporting event and an iconic moment in Boston sports.

Seidenbergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuukka Time View Post
Bad examples. Neither of those involve pics of events that many consider to be the most inspirational thing they've ever seen during a professional sporting event and an iconic moment in Boston sports.
Keep in mind, Bobby Orr doesn't like to sign the photo of him flying after scoring the cup-winning goal.

Not saying he refuses to sign them, but he doesn't like to. If he's the one supplying the pic, it would rarely be that one, even though that's the one most people want.

Old
09-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Seidenbergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post
Keep in mind, Bobby Orr doesn't like to sign the photo of him flying after scoring the cup-winning goal.

Not saying he refuses to sign them, but he doesn't like to. If he's the one supplying the pic, it would rarely be that one, even though that's the one most people want.
I've never heard that. I know of at least three different major corporate signing events in the last 10 years that he went to and he or someone in his camp (definitely not the host companies) supplied copies of that pic and he signed one for everyone there.

Seidenbergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Kate08

He can choose not to sign them, that's his right. It's also my right to think it's lame.

His reasoing was eloquently stated, and I don't think less of him because of it, I just think it's too bad. A fanbase that supports you (read: pays you and buys your ****) points to a moment like that as a rallying cry and something that is inspiring. Kind of lame to refuse to sign anything, IMO.

Old
09-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknGold Barbarino View Post
His injury, his call. Just bring something else to sign if you want an autograph. Not sure any of us is in a place to judge. Unless, of course, you've also broken your leg in front of an arena full of fans on national TV--then, feel free to go to town.
Agree with this. It was a very public moment, but also, to Campbell, a highly personal one. If he feels uncomfortable commemorating that event, I can't imagine telling him he should feel otherwise.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:47 PM
BNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post

I got a picture from Orr signed that he provided and it was the famous photo.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:49 PM
patty59

I don't really see a problem with it. It's not like he doesn't want people to have the picture or anything. Lot's of these people that get pictures like that signed are just going to flip it on ebay anyways.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 04:04 PM
MaCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
I don't really see a problem with it. It's not like he doesn't want people to have the picture or anything. Lot's of these people that get pictures like that signed are just going to flip it on ebay anyways.
This^^^

If a little kid goes up to him and asks him that's a different story. I don't see how you would refuse that.

MaCam is offline   Reply With Quote