HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Seth Jones officially signs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2013, 07:42 AM
  #51
1972
"Craigs on it"
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Is Jay Z his agent??
no, Pat Brisson who is also Nathan MacKinnon's agent

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:25 PM
  #52
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
There is a slight Jay-Z connection there... I've been convincing myself that it's nothing, that there isn't anything more to worry about with Seth Jones than with any other prospect.

But when you look at the connections...
-Jay-Z has a sports marketing and agency that is connected with Seth's agent.
-Jay-Z has hinted that his firm wants to represent Seth.
-Jay-Z is owner of the Brooklyn Nets and is tied to Barclays Center.
-Barclays Center is the new home of the Islanders.

I know... don't panic, don't worry about it... but there is some small, tiny bit of potential somewhere in there for Seth to be demanding a trade to the Isles after his ELC.

/conspiracy theory

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:29 PM
  #53
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 45,044
vCash: 500
Who would want to play in Barclay Center?

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:54 PM
  #54
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
There is a slight Jay-Z connection there... I've been convincing myself that it's nothing, that there isn't anything more to worry about with Seth Jones than with any other prospect.

But when you look at the connections...
-Jay-Z has a sports marketing and agency that is connected with Seth's agent.
-Jay-Z has hinted that his firm wants to represent Seth.
-Jay-Z is owner of the Brooklyn Nets and is tied to Barclays Center.
-Barclays Center is the new home of the Islanders.

I know... don't panic, don't worry about it... but there is some small, tiny bit of potential somewhere in there for Seth to be demanding a trade to the Isles after his ELC.

/conspiracy theory
Jay-Z divested himself of the Nets to launch Roc Nation Sports (conflict of interest since he represents Durant and a few other NBA players).

And the Islanders as a desirable hockey destination are somewhere between Nashville and an outdoor rink in Clinton, Mississippi. We might have problems retaining him long-term, but not because his agent's boss' boss wants him in New York.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:17 PM
  #55
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
I thought I made it clear that I wasn't really worried about it. But there IS some sort of path there for it to happen.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:24 PM
  #56
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,256
vCash: 400
I wonder what they do with the all star game incentive in an olympic season with no ASG

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:32 AM
  #57
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred
 
jwhouk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,501
vCash: 500
Probably 1st/2nd team All-Stars given at end of year by HWA.

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:04 AM
  #58
INDhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
Probably 1st/2nd team All-Stars given at end of year by HWA.
That is what they did last year with the shortened season and no ASG.
There are all stars they just don't play the actual game.

INDhockeyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:12 PM
  #59
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDhockeyfan View Post
That is what they did last year with the shortened season and no ASG.
There are all stars they just don't play the actual game.
The All-NHL teams are always voted on, whether there's an All-Star Game or not. There is likely a separate bonus for making one of those teams because it's much harder to do (Consider 40-ish All-Stars to 10 All-NHL selections, 15 if you count the rookies).

I would imagine the bonus is simply voided or impossible to collect, since the means of collecting it do not exist.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 11:56 PM
  #60
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
Nice article on Seth, very in depth : http://www.sbnation.com/longform/201...=articlebottom

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 11:06 AM
  #61
WartracePred
Registered User
 
WartracePred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Nice article on Seth, very in depth : http://www.sbnation.com/longform/201...=articlebottom
Some good stuff, some glaring mistakes. It's worth a read. I enjoyed reading about his growth and recognition as a kid playing hockey. But as Preds fans, probably not much in the article that we haven't already heard.

I was troubled by the author's reference to our Central division rival Red Wings. How in the world did he miss realignment?? I was also surprised to hear that the Preds are more offensively talented than the teams that drafted ahead if them. There are more issues in the article, but I'll stop here.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 11:21 AM
  #62
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 12,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Some good stuff, some glaring mistakes. It's worth a read. I enjoyed reading about his growth and recognition as a kid playing hockey. But as Preds fans, probably not much in the article that we haven't already heard.

I was troubled by the author's reference to our Central division rival Red Wings. How in the world did he miss realignment?? I was also surprised to hear that the Preds are more offensively talented than the teams that drafted ahead if them. There are more issues in the article, but I'll stop here.
Agreed. The title alone "...First African American-Superstar" is quite flawed (though debatable, I guess).

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 12:31 PM
  #63
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Agreed. The title alone "...First African American-Superstar" is quite flawed (though debatable, I guess).
Why? Who has been a superstar who's African-American?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 12:49 PM
  #64
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 12,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Why? Who has been a superstar who's African-American?
I guess it depends on your definition of "superstar", but I'd start with the guy recently voted best D-man in the league.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 12:54 PM
  #65
Preds33
Registered User
 
Preds33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I guess it depends on your definition of "superstar", but I'd start with the guy recently voted best D-man in the league.
Technically he's not African American as he's Canadian. Looking back to those who I thought would qualify for this stat, they seem to be Canadian so Seth could be the first if he pans out.

Preds33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 01:01 PM
  #66
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Technically he's not African American as he's Canadian. Looking back to those who I thought would qualify for this stat, they seem to be Canadian so Seth could be the first if he pans out.
Canada left North America? I was unaware.

101st_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 01:04 PM
  #67
Preds33
Registered User
 
Preds33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Canada left North America? I was unaware.
I didn't say that. From what I have read, players such as PK, and Evander Kane are being referred to as African Canadian

Preds33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 01:06 PM
  #68
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
I didn't say that. From what I have read, players such as PK, and Evander Kane are being referred to as African Canadian
In this everyone must have a label era, I prefer "intelligent human" ... a very rare designation.

101st_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 01:08 PM
  #69
Preds33
Registered User
 
Preds33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
In this everyone must have a label era, I prefer "intelligent human" ... a very rare designation.
I don't agree with the labels either. I am just pointing out what the article's author is referring to.

Preds33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 01:36 PM
  #70
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I guess it depends on your definition of "superstar", but I'd start with the guy recently voted best D-man in the league.
Subban is technically Afro-Canadian, as are Georges Laraque, Anson Carter, Grant Fuhr, Evander Kane, and Joel Ward.

I would contend the first African-American star is Dustin Byfuglien, but Byfuglien plays in the middle of nowhere in Canada, so he doesn't get the notoriety he would get if he were still in Chicago or another major U.S. city. Okposo is good, and Etem has the potential to be really good.

The over-arching point, one with which I think we all can agree, is that high-level hockey players of African heritage born in the United States are extremely rare, and guys like Jones and Okposo and Etem have the power to change that if they emerge as impact players in the NHL and go on to represent the United States in the Olympics down the road.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:57 PM
  #71
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,708
vCash: 500
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...p-weber-jones/

Jones will start preseason on the left side with Weber

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 04:49 PM
  #72
WartracePred
Registered User
 
WartracePred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...p-weber-jones/

Jones will start preseason on the left side with Weber
A few key words in the interview: preseason, scrimmages, rub shoulders a bit. If Jones is going to learn on ice from another dman during training camp, it should be Weber. I expect Weber and Josi together on opening night.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 07:05 PM
  #73
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 17,894
vCash: 500
Canada is in North America, for the record, so you could say they're Americans, just like we use the term Asians and Europeans.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 01:18 AM
  #74
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Basher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Murray KY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,051
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
The first African-American/Canadian born to a professional basketball player from Tennessee, who played his college basketball in the small town of Murray, KY.

^
What he should have said.


Last edited by Basher: 09-09-2013 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Edit: Go Racers!
Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 06:42 AM
  #75
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 12,052
vCash: 500
Missed it yesterday, but a great article on Grantland about Jones.

Quote:
When the Predators open their season tonight against the St. Louis Blues, Jones is expected to be in the lineup. He'll also be celebrating his 19th birthday. And he'll immediately become one of the more closely followed players in the league. The combination of his lineage and his draft-day disappointment makes for an interesting story on its own. But when you hear the way the Predators rave about him, like when Nashville coach Barry Trotz asserts outright that he'll be "here for good," it makes you want to see it for yourself.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ille-predators

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.