HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III: "Hemsky Off The Market" - MacT Presser

Closed Thread

Old
09-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Alex87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Plante and Teubert never were NHLers and I have not seen them play much.. Peckham tries to be physical but is often out of position and more than often makes unforced errors.. I chose Peckham over MAB due to the style of game they play... maybe the race factored in there too but I dont like to think so.

@Arpeggio .. I never said Monahan was drafted after Nurse ..
Lets go back to the original issue, which I don't think you've had a chance to comment on yet: are you seriously getting on Nurse's case for looking rusty in the first game of a rookie exhibition tournament? When he's barely had any time to practice with his team?

I agree with Jimmi, your comment was absurd.

Old
09-06-2013, 12:23 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Peckham was supposed to be an upgraded version of Matt Greene... Never got close to it.
And this is exactly why people need to stop thinking rookies are going to replace NHLers.

Old
09-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Plante and Teubert never were NHLers and I have not seen them play much.. Peckham tries to be physical but is often out of position and more than often makes unforced errors.. I chose Peckham over MAB due to the style of game they play... maybe the race factored in there too but I dont like to think so.

@Arpeggio .. I never said Monahan was drafted after Nurse ..
Unbelievable that after 1 exhibition game, a guy can even suggest that one 18 year old should have been picked over another.
Never mind said poster didn't even know Monahan was picked higher than Nurse.
Unbelievable.

Old
09-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
Lets go back to the original issue, which I don't think you've had a chance to comment on yet: are you seriously getting on Nurse's case for looking rusty in the first game of a rookie exhibition tournament? When he's barely had any time to practice with his team?

I agree with Jimmi, your comment was absurd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Unbelievable that after 1 exhibition game, a guy can even suggest that one 18 year old should have been picked over another.
Never mind said poster didn't even know Monahan was picked higher than Nurse.
Unbelievable.
I made that comment right after Monahan scored the goal and this was intended to go in the GDT. This was not based on Nurse looking rusty after a game but after Nurse looking crappy on one shift of this exhibition game.

Read the GDT... I wasnt the only one who got on Nurse's case.

And I do know that Monahan was drafted before Nurse.. What I meant was that this board would have exploded after that goal had we passed on him for Nurse.

Last post from me re this... we have better things to discuss in this thread...

Alex Pieterangelo anyone ....

Old
09-06-2013, 12:51 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Last post from me re this... we have better things to discuss in this thread...

Alex Pieterangelo anyone ....
At this point, we really should be looking at an offer sheet. The big question is what do you offer?

Old
09-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
I made that comment right after Monahan scored the goal and this was intended to go in the GDT. This was not based on Nurse looking rusty after a game but after Nurse looking crappy on one shift of this exhibition game.

Read the GDT... I wasnt the only one who got on Nurse's case.
That's true, but equally silly. It's his first game of Pro anything, so for him to make some mistakes shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. He's not Seth Jones, if Jones had looked like that concern would be more warranted because he's supposed to be a much more finished product (I don't think there's much debate there)

So he made some mistakes, but when you stop solely focusing on little things that can, and likely will, be work out with experience and maturity, you see a very nice young player.

Nurse skates very well, looks confident, smooth and most of all looks strong. Like bust you in the face, I'm going to make your life hell tonight strong. He looks like the kind of kid, if he brings consistency to his game, that could own faces on a nightly basis and be a difference maker.

Is Darnell Nurse there yet? Hell no, but he's on his way, WAY too earlier to write a kid like him off.

Old
09-06-2013, 01:00 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
At this point, we really should be looking at an offer sheet. The big question is what do you offer?
I think the process should go like this.

1) Phone call to the Blues, asking if there is any interest in moving him for a package of something good, with the implication that the Oil are very interested in making an offer to get him under any circumstances. Blues will almost certainly still reject it.

2) Offer Pietrangelo a bridge length contract with a high cap hit. The Blues are likely more willing to match a long term deal. 7 million per year, taking him up to one year before he becomes a UFA.

3) Rub hands together menacingly, while laughing evil.

Old
09-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Bllues have too much cap room to be making offesheets. They will match just about anything.. MacT talked about building relationships with GMs and with the Perron trade he has done just that with STL.. Only way to get AP is by creating a package similar to what we used to pry away Pronger from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
That's true, but equally silly. It's his first game of Pro anything, so for him to make some mistakes shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. He's not Seth Jones, if Jones had looked like that concern would be more warranted because he's supposed to be a much more finished product (I don't think there's much debate there)

So he made some mistakes, but when you stop solely focusing on little things that can, and likely will, be work out with experience and maturity, you see a very nice young player.

Nurse skates very well, looks confident, smooth and most of all looks strong. Like bust you in the face, I'm going to make your life hell tonight strong. He looks like the kind of kid, if he brings consistency to his game, that could own faces on a nightly basis and be a difference maker.

Is Darnell Nurse there yet? Hell no, but he's on his way, WAY too earlier to write a kid like him off.
Nurse wasnt the only rookie playing that game.. His skating, hitting, decision making, one on one skill was simply not up to par... No denying that he will be get better as the tourney goes on and as years pass by. No one is writing him off... he just look bad out there last night.

Old
09-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Yak City

Nurse has that kind of build where he's very broad but hasn't filled out yet, and just from my personal experience in sports around that age, those guys always seem clumsy until they finish filling out their frame. The kid's 18, when he's becoming a pro at 20 he'll look worlds different.

Old
09-06-2013, 01:15 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post

1) Phone call to the Blues, asking if there is any interest in moving him for a package of something good, with the implication that the Oil are very interested in making an offer to get him under any circumstances. Blues will almost certainly still reject it.

2) Offer Pietrangelo a bridge length contract with a high cap hit. The Blues are likely more willing to match a long term deal. 7 million per year, taking him up to one year before he becomes a UFA.

A three year deal at $7M per?

I don't see why Armstrong wouldn't match that instantly.

Old
09-06-2013, 01:39 PM
joestevens29

We don't exactly have room to add a 7mil d-man. And how many teams are going to be willing to help us acquire cap space?

Old
09-06-2013, 01:47 PM
Petro Points

I would do Smid+Petry+Nurse+1st for AP

We give up a lot but are still left with decent group of Dmen..

Pieterangelo, Ference, Schultz x 2, Russian x 2, Klefbom, Marincin, Larsen etc.

Edit: STL would want us to start with one of the 1st overalls and add

Old
09-06-2013, 01:48 PM
nhlisajoke

vCash: 91
Bob McKenzie‏@TSNBobMcKenzie33s
Former Panther Peter Mueller has signed with Kloten in SUI. BTW, Mueller is not on Twitter so any accounts claiming to be him are fake

Old
09-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Dangerdanger

Quote:

Pietrangelo has said through his agent that he's not accepting offer sheets, so don't bother trying.

Old
09-06-2013, 02:32 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
A three year deal at $7M per?

I don't see why Armstrong wouldn't match that instantly.
He might. He would likely match anything we throw his way regardless, but it gets them to pay more than they want. I don't think Pietrangelo would accept a three year offer anyway. If he had interest in a bridge deal, it would be done already.

Old
09-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
He might. He would likely match anything we throw his way regardless, but it gets them to pay more than they want. I don't think Pietrangelo would accept a three year offer anyway. If he had interest in a bridge deal, it would be done already.
They are going to pay more than they want anyways. That's why he's holding out.

Old
09-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:

That's far more than what we gave up for Pronger. Total overpay.

Old
09-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
That's far more than what we gave up for Pronger. Total overpay.
we would be pretty much set on D though.. Pie and Justin on the right side... All our rookies that played last night were LDs. A combo of Nick, Ference, Belov, Grebs, Klef, Marincin on left side. Bottom pairing shouldnt be hard to fill out.

RNH + would be overpay... getting to keep the big 5 and adding AP would be a step towards right direction.

Old
09-06-2013, 03:26 PM
joestevens29

Quote:

Really depends what STL likes. Personally I don't know that they'd want Smid with Jackman and Polak.

It would all be about finding someone that Armstong really likes. When we traded for Pronger they got a 26 year old d-man in Brewer who Olympic won gold with team Canada(as well as a couple WC and WCH) was an all-star and had room to grow. Does Armstrong think Petry is that guy, maybe but doubtful.

The other thing is if it's a money thing the Blues aren't exactly saving much here. They are taking 5.25mil on, which should drastically increase next year with Petry looking for a raise.

Old
09-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Soli
"Punish & Enslave"

Next one up.

Closed Thread