HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we really want to make playoffs?

Closed Thread

Old
09-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...st-flames-last

CBS sports thinks that Oilers will make play offs. But actually I wanted share my opinion about Hemsky MacT press conference. I saw some concern relating to the play off hopes

1. MacT said if we turn the corenr and if we want start winning. I would have been expected more futures than conditionals.

2. He said that if turn over happens Hemsky will have prominent role on that. Hemsky responded positively but his body language spoke something else. He did not have relax mental attitude in the Press conference

3. When MacT and Hemsky stand together in front of cameras it was very obvious that they did not have good time together no jokes, smiles atmosphere was somehow ... I don't really know... maybe it didn't match with the words

Reality has hit the road and shut up MacT's mind. Bold moves have turned to statements that moves that have never been made are best moves.

I am still confident that have shot make play offs but some concerns raised when I did not saw positive and a little bit belligerent attitude and body language
Are you a psychologist?

Old
09-06-2013, 12:34 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
they can finish behind those teams and make the playoffs, though. With the central being a bit of a crapshoot (I have Chicago, St. Louis and Nashville as the only playoff locks), the wild card spots are up for grabs.
Nashville yes but Minnesota no?

If we can finish ahead of Colorado, Winnipeg, Nashville and Dallas we're likely in. I have a tough time seeing us finishing ahead of Minnesota and Winnipeg though. We basically need a California team or the Canucks to disappoint this year. My money's on Anaheim.

Old
09-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Are you a psychologist?
I had a minor in college

Old
09-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
That's a pretty uncomfortable press conference for a guy to attend..

I wouldn't read too much into his body language..
Do you think that Hemsky feels comfortable with team. I would say maybe. What has taken place during the off season may have influenced his self confidence. We will see if Hemmer is mentally touch he will work his way through. If he is not working his way trough ... I would blame MacT. He did mistake to take Hemsky and Horc to public and claim that they were done with Oilers. He did not win anything with this move

Old
09-07-2013, 01:25 PM
frag2

I actually think in our division, we can make the playoffs if we are no lower than 4th. Pretty difficult tho.

The crappy part is that other division has guaranteed 3 in the playoffs.

Oilers are in te tough but prolly will make it.

I also think Vancouver will surprise. They will score a lot but also lose a lot. Their team will have to put up with injuries a lot more than they were Used to in the past owing to Torts block all shots mantra and the hard hitting west.

Old
09-07-2013, 02:37 PM
peck420

Do we really want to make the playoffs? Absolutely!

I think many of you are vastly under rating how much of last years results were from trying to play a new system, with no practice time, and a strange coach.

Right off the bat, I think it is safe to assume that 50% of the 'caught out of place' mistakes are going to vanish, simply from having time for the team to learn, and hopefully perfect, what ever system Coach Eakins wants to play.

That, in and of it'self, is a huge difference.

Way too often we forget that this is a team sport. Even the best talent will never be enough to overcome solid systems and good execution of those systems.

Old
09-07-2013, 02:48 PM
PETRYDISH

vCash: 50
Quote:
I had a minor in college
Hemmer did look uncomfortable, however he always looks uncomfortable in front of media. Never a media person and never will be. I don't think it has much to do with any disdain for Mact and his actions, I think he's fully ready to do what ever he has to in order to win. He'll get his shot and playing time, injuries are inevitable in the top 6.

Old
09-08-2013, 01:54 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by peck420 View Post
Do we really want to make the playoffs? Absolutely!

I think many of you are vastly under rating how much of last years results were from trying to play a new system, with no practice time, and a strange coach.

Right off the bat, I think it is safe to assume that 50% of the 'caught out of place' mistakes are going to vanish, simply from having time for the team to learn, and hopefully perfect, what ever system Coach Eakins wants to play.

That, in and of it'self, is a huge difference.

Way too often we forget that this is a team sport. Even the best talent will never be enough to overcome solid systems and good execution of those systems.
i actually tend to agree with this (or maybe its just hopeful thinking). I think the team vastly underachieved last year for the reasons you state. Positionally, they were worse than 11/12. they had a terrible year, but i don't think they are as far away from being right up there than their record or performance would suggest.

of course, they have to prove it, but the big jump they didn't take last year is possible this year.

Old
09-27-2013, 08:02 AM
Broilers

Self Induced Misery

It would be a miracle or at least God needs to use secondary causes to determine Oilers to playoffs

"You need your team to go through adversity — maybe not right away like this with our two guys (out) — but adversity offers opportunity,” head coach Dallas Eakins said.

"MacT and Klowe put their team to go through self induced misery — because they didn't sign depth center in the off season and didn't trade for 2A center to replace Gagner — but adversity offers opportunity self induced misery top 10 pick again,”Broilers said

Old
10-06-2013, 06:44 AM
Broilers

Monday is make it or break it day! RNH will be back and he should take Hall's palce as a first line center. Hall can make plays and win draws but he can't be train to be NHL center that way. He is not comfortable with the position and he using scoring changes a lot to other team.

RNH has a chance to make the season worth to watch. Hall may take some FOs but he position is left wing. Of course Smyth didn't help Hall a lot but it is obvious that Hemsky can't carry whole so called first line.

Our f-line up against NJ should as follows (Joensuu is probably out)

Hall RNH Hemsky (Hall takes face offs)
Perron Arco Eberle
Smyth Boyd Yakopov
Gazdig Acton Brown

When Joensuu is back Smyth will take a seat in the PB if he continues to slow down the game in a way he did against Nucks

Old
10-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

This team is weak down the middle, has no depth, and the goalies in the system are a joke. We need a good draft, but even if we get a top 5 picks, my gut tells me MacT turns our first 5 rounds into 25 picks scattered through rounds 6 and 7. Welcome to the Florida rebuild.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
It is very obvious that RNH will start the season from IR and lose 12-25 games. 15 games is my evaluation. This leads to situation that one of our top 2 centers is practically speaking fourth liner (Lander) minor leaguer (Arcobello) or college player (Miller). If he is playing with Perron and Yak it not helping to get Perron to go in the new team and Yak elevate his game to top6 level.

It is crucial to get good start to make playoffs. I really hope that MacT is not planning to suck again high pick.

Viny Prospal is offensive forward who can play both LW and center. He might be a good solution to play with Hall and Eberle in the first line and when RNH will be back in the thir line with Hemsky and Boyd. He will come cheap he is still without work.

I guess what is obvious to some is not obvious to the rest.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Why bump this?

Old
10-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Monday is make it or break it day! RNH will be back and he should take Hall's palce as a first line center. Hall can make plays and win draws but he can't be train to be NHL center that way. He is not comfortable with the position and he using scoring changes a lot to other team.

RNH has a chance to make the season worth to watch. Hall may take some FOs but he position is left wing. Of course Smyth didn't help Hall a lot but it is obvious that Hemsky can't carry whole so called first line.

Our f-line up against NJ should as follows (Joensuu is probably out)

Hall RNH Hemsky (Hall takes face offs)
Perron Arco Eberle
Smyth Boyd Yakopov
Gazdig Acton Brown

When Joensuu is back Smyth will take a seat in the PB if he continues to slow down the game in a way he did against Nucks
I think they re-unite the Hall RNH Eberle line. go with Perron Arco Yak for the second.

Old
10-08-2013, 06:57 AM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
Hemmer did look uncomfortable, however he always looks uncomfortable in front of media. Never a media person and never will be. I don't think it has much to do with any disdain for Mact and his actions, I think he's fully ready to do what ever he has to in order to win. He'll get his shot and playing time, injuries are inevitable in the top 6.
I think I did mis-evaluation from Hemsky's body language. It is great to have him in the team and contributing. He has also taken Yakopov's spot and Yak is not doing great in the third line. This might be very bad for his future development and self confidence.

Anyway come back victory was exactly what the team needed. The things what I have seen especially disability to play 60 minutes, MacT's disability to assess depth on the center ice and Eakins decision to put Hall to paly as center is really raising the question are the management really committed to make play offs.

When we start to get players back from IR. What you guys think should we send Smyth to Barons.

Old
10-25-2013, 05:35 AM
Broilers

We are now 3-7-1=7 pts. 6pts out of the playoff spot. We need to start winning more games than we are loosing. We need to be less than 5 pts out of the play off spot after 25 games otherwise uphill battle is very heavy. Gagner and Hall should be back by that if not we are in the real troubles.

I don't really know what is wrong with this team. We have still top6 which can score. Decent defense forces. It wouldn't make DD as scape goat. Yak has started to remind me about Daigle. Chilling...

Old
10-25-2013, 05:36 AM
AJGass4

Well Calgary thinks they are still in the hunt so why not?

Old
10-25-2013, 06:29 AM
Hemsky4PM

Looking at the November sked, the Oilers could get out of that month with 8 or so wins out of 13 games. Desperation needs to set in though.

Old
10-25-2013, 06:36 AM
duul

We need to end the season 14 games over .500 from this point on to make the playoffs.

It's over, sorry folks. Yet another season down the drain, and we might as well tank to make the most of it.

Old
10-25-2013, 06:39 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
We need to end the season 14 games over .500 from this point on to make the playoffs.

It's over, sorry folks. Yet another season down the drain, and we might as well tank to make the most of it.
Then there's no ifs or buts,one of the top forwards has to go.

8 straight years of no playoffs is not acceptable.

Old
10-25-2013, 06:48 AM
oilersfan11

The only two that I believe should be untouchable are Hall and RNH.If the Oilers don't make the playoffs (again),then it's time to move Yakupov or Eberle to improve this team in other areas.

Old
10-25-2013, 07:05 AM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
The only two that I believe should be untouchable are Hall and RNH.If the Oilers don't make the playoffs (again),then it's time to move Yakupov or Eberle to improve this team in other areas.
I would move Hall and whatever else to get Weber or Keith. Hall and Eberle even, I don't care. Get Weber plus some bottom 6 grit and our team is a lot better.

Old
10-25-2013, 07:13 AM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
I wouldn't start with these two (Eberle Yakopov). First we need to start clean the roster from veterans. Nick Schultz should be on the move. Unfortunately we need to wait at least to Olympic games. It is not many takers before that. Probably we can get first round pick from Hemsky. He should be on the move. Let's hope he stays healthy through the Olympic games. After that he will have takers. I wouldn't mind to trade Smyth too. These three guys are veterans who should have lead the team.

These three guys are difficult to move now. We need to start moving guys before that just the sake of the move. We need to send a message to the team. If you are not starting to win you are not going raise pay checks in Edmonton. Moving Brown was a great thing and the move proves that there may be a possibility to move another marginal player too.

Ference has been absolute disappointment. I can't imagine the leadership onf Oilers. They just can't sign UFAs who fit the team

Old
10-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
I would move Hall and whatever else to get Weber or Keith. Hall and Eberle even, I don't care. Get Weber plus some bottom 6 grit and our team is a lot better.
Right and why would NSH or CHI trade one of their top defenders for one of our apparent busts?

Old
10-25-2013, 08:28 AM
oilersfan11

Very embarrassing for RNH.He truly needs to hit the weight room.

Closed Thread