HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jaroslav Halak......Great Start!!

Old
11-11-2006, 04:52 PM
FrankMTL

vCash: 500
Jaroslav Halak......Great Start!!

Well guys, it looks like Halak is back to last years form. yes, he's only played 5 games, but he's looking better every game...especially that Danis is struggling. he made 42 of 43 saves today in a win against the Marlies (2-1).

So far this year...

Jaroslav Halak

5GP 8GA 1.60GAA .949SV%

Yann Danis

8GP 28GA 3.49GAA .886SV%

Ouch!...I know obviously this doesen't tell the whole story, but Halak is just 21 and he had an amazing year last year and it looks like he's following it up with another this year. The coach for the Bulldogs doesn't have a choice but to play him hopefully..

What do you guys think of his potential??

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Estimated_Prophet

I think that Danis has plateaued and I really don't see a great NHL future for him. Personally I would prefer to see Halak playing at least as much as Danis and preferrably more. Halak is younger and quite simply has been better than Danis in his short time in the AHL.

Danis isn't a really physically gifted goaltender and for a goalie who is supposed to be technically strong he sure gives up plenty of soft goals. Halak is a little more unorthodox but seems to be more athletically gifted than Danis. It is my opinion that Halak has greater upside than Danis therefore there should be more of an effort to develop him.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into another Vokoun situation where Halak has to be moved to another organization before someone shows some commitment to his development.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 05:33 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I think that Danis has plateaued and I really don't see a great NHL future for him. Personally I would prefer to see Halak playing at least as much as Danis and preferrably more. Halak is younger and quite simply has been better than Danis in his short time in the AHL.

Danis isn't a really physically gifted goaltender and for a goalie who is supposed to be technically strong he sure gives up plenty of soft goals. Halak is a little more unorthodox but seems to be more athletically gifted than Danis. It is my opinion that Halak has greater upside than Danis therefore there should be more of an effort to develop him.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into another Vokoun situation where Halak has to be moved to another organization before someone shows some commitment to his development.
I was actually going to say that it reminds me of the Vokoun situation...plus both goalies are from the same part of the world...

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 05:41 PM
henri2014

If everything goes well i would see something like that in the Future:

2006-2007
NHL : Huet(31) - Abby(28) and by March Huet(31) - Danis(25)
AHL : Danis(25) - Halak(21) and by march Halak(21) - Desjardins (20)

2007-2008

NHL : Huet(32) - Danis(26) or Halak(22)
AHL : Price(20) - Halak(22)

2008-2009

NHL : Huet(33) - Halak(23)
AHL : Price(21) - Desjardins(22)

2009-2010

NHL : Price(22) - Halak(24)
AHL : Someone

2010 ....... Price...

(The age of the player is in parenthesis)

Ok so that would be a good situation, i hope gainey has confidence in his AHL goalie next year or by the end of the year when he trades one of our 2 NHL goalies. I'm puting Danis has our NHL backup cuz he has nhl exp and because i think Halak's potentiel his higher and that he needs to play alot to develop.

Anyway we have nothing to fear with our goalie depht. I hope that Halak continues to play well.

henri2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by henri2014 View Post
If everything goes well i would see something like that in the Future:.....
Well a couple years ago if you did that we'd have Theodore and Garon in 2007, but things change quickly from 1 year to 4 years after, so it's pretty hard to judge the future of goaltending for almost any team

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 11:04 AM
turnbuckle*

I would suppose we won't be seeing Danis in some people's top five or top seven any more as far as Habs prospects are concerned. Unfortuntely he has failed to folow up on his impressive rookie campaign.

At 25 there's still hope that he can devlop into an NHL backup, but I don't see it happening in Montreal anytime soon unless Aebischer leaves. As one poster pointed out though, things can change in a hurry. Price and Halak may be the combo as early as 2008, it may be Aebischer and Halak, Huet and Danis, etc., etc.

Best case scenario is that five goalies are ready for NHL action next season, one of the goalie vets is dealt for a superstar defenceman and the Habs roll on to a Cup.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 11:39 AM
jazzyreg

Send a message via AIM to jazzyreg Send a message via MSN to jazzyreg
Perhaps I am the only one that thinks this but I honestly believe that Danis will bounce back and will get into the form we all expect from him. All his coaches and even Gainey have done nothing but praise his potential, positioning and overall skill and I just don't see that as suddenly dying off.

Obviously he has some confidence issues right now which probably wasn't helped by the team's awful start but now that they're meshing better and starting to play a full 60 minutes like we expect, I think Danis will once again be that kid that had a shut-out in his debut. Don't get me wrong, I think Halak is awesome but I'm not ready to write off Danis just yet.

And I DO believe, as I have since this summer, that we'll see him as a backup in Montreal this year.

jazzyreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypopsiclemelts View Post
Perhaps I am the only one that thinks this but I honestly believe that Danis will bounce back and will get into the form we all expect from him. All his coaches and even Gainey have done nothing but praise his potential, positioning and overall skill and I just don't see that as suddenly dying off.

Obviously he has some confidence issues right now which probably wasn't helped by the team's awful start but now that they're meshing better and starting to play a full 60 minutes like we expect, I think Danis will once again be that kid that had a shut-out in his debut. Don't get me wrong, I think Halak is awesome but I'm not ready to write off Danis just yet.

And I DO believe, as I have since this summer, that we'll see him as a backup in Montreal this year.
I want to see Danis (as Habs backup) IF (huuuge IF!!) one of our goalies gets traded...

But...what about Halak being our backup? (possible? no? yes?).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 08:10 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
I want to see Danis (as Habs backup) IF (huuuge IF!!) one of our goalies gets traded...

But...what about Halak being our backup? (possible? no? yes?).
Halak as our backup? Ishhhh, I wouldn't rush anything in his case. I see him as a good, but fragile prospect so I would keep him in the AHL. He would buld up huge confidence and in a year or two, we could use him in Montreal...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 09:44 AM
LeMAD

If in 20 games the situaton is still the same, let Danis go and give a maximum of starts to Halak, except if Danis accepts to be the 2nd goalie + potential habs backup if one of Huet/Aebisher gets injured.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I can't see anything wrong with keeping a rotation between Danis and Halak in Hamilton. It's a development team after all. And even if Danis is struggling a bit and Halak is surging, it's hardly time yet to give up on Danis or anything. They both need to keep playing, mostly regardless of the effect it has on the Dogs in the standings (up to a point).

Hopefully Danis will at least get himself into a position where he could at least be a viable candidate for the backup spot next season if/when Aebischer walks. It will be good to have such an internal option in parallel with the UFA option. Because really it's almost that or bust for Danis now in the organization, it should be a Halak/Price duo in Hamilton next year, presumably.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 10:20 PM
pc_md

Another shootout tonight !... Danis should be worried.

Do you guys think the alternation system will continue or did halak steal Danis' starter job already ? If Huet gets injured next game, who would you call up ?

Last edited by montreal: 11-15-2006 at 10:44 AM.
pc_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 12:27 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_md View Post
Do you guys think the alternation system will continue or did halak steal Danis' starter job already ? If Huet gets injured next game, who would you call up ?
Halak. He absolutely deserves it.

BTW, I'm also a Danis fan (he'll get his chance again later, it's too early to say it but here goes...Halak is the best/hottest AHL goalie right now...or at least he's on a great hot streak...).

I know the Bulldogs is a team which prepares our Jr Habs, but it would be great to see them in playoffs (good for Halak or Danis, Chipchura, O'Byrne, Grabovski, J-P Cote, Milroy...).
And, the way Halak is kicking $% right now, he should be playing (3 or) 4 out of 5
games right now (take advantage of winning ways, ride the wave, etc...!! ).

Go Halak Go
Go Danis Go

Old
11-15-2006, 01:22 AM
Blades 0f Steel

I've been saying for a while now that Halak will have a decent NHL career elsewhere in the NHL, ala Vokoun.

Though he does need to get quite a few AHL games in. He's looked horrid during pre-season for the Bulldogs before catching fire as of late. Danis and Halak seem to be going in the exact opposite directions...

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 07:08 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by henri2014 View Post
If everything goes well i would see something like that in the Future:

2006-2007
NHL : Huet(31) - Abby(28) and by March Huet(31) - Danis(25)
AHL : Danis(25) - Halak(21) and by march Halak(21) - Desjardins (20)

2007-2008

NHL : Huet(32) - Danis(26) or Halak(22)
AHL : Price(20) - Halak(22)

2008-2009

NHL : Huet(33) - Halak(23)
AHL : Price(21) - Desjardins(22)

2009-2010

NHL : Price(22) - Halak(24)
AHL : Someone

2010 ....... Price...

(The age of the player is in parenthesis)

Ok so that would be a good situation, i hope gainey has confidence in his AHL goalie next year or by the end of the year when he trades one of our 2 NHL goalies. I'm puting Danis has our NHL backup cuz he has nhl exp and because i think Halak's potentiel his higher and that he needs to play alot to develop.

Anyway we have nothing to fear with our goalie depht. I hope that Halak continues to play well.
I agree with this. But what could we get for Abs right now? A 1st round pick?

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Bryzga lol*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1 View Post
I agree with this. But what could we get for Abs right now? A 1st round pick?
If Roloson can draw a first round pick while playing poorly behind Fernandez at the age of 36, Abby could surely do it aswell. But I think the Oilers were really desperate for a starting goalie.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 04:09 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
I've been saying for a while now that Halak will have a decent NHL career elsewhere in the NHL, ala Vokoun.

Though he does need to get quite a few AHL games in. He's looked horrid during pre-season for the Bulldogs before catching fire as of late. Danis and Halak seem to be going in the exact opposite directions...
Halak is on fire!!!!!! I know it's only 6 games, but... .

Games: 6
GAA:1.34
Save %: .955%

Trade Abby?
Or, keep Abby? (Huet & Abby= great weapon for playoffs, injury, etc...)

Or, Halak & Danis fight for backup next year?...& then it's Carey Price's turn
Or, maybe Price will be backup next year?

Old
11-16-2006, 05:07 AM
jazzyreg

Send a message via AIM to jazzyreg Send a message via MSN to jazzyreg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Trade Abby?
Or, keep Abby? (Huet & Abby= great weapon for playoffs, injury, etc...)
I'm pretty sure if they got rid of Abby this season, which I have always believed they will, I think they'd call up Danis. He has the most NHL experience.

jazzyreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 05:16 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypopsiclemelts View Post
I'm pretty sure if they got rid of Abby this season, which I have always believed they will, I think they'd call up Danis. He has the most NHL experience.
I know! I know!! But...
It's so tempting to have Halak as backup.
What if Halak does well in the NHL this year? (it can happen).
If not this year, let Halak and Danis fight for backup next year (also training camp)...may the best man (goalie!) win!!

But, Abby and Huet...so tempting to keep both, also tempting to trade!! I can't make up my mind!!
Bob Gainey will have to make a tough decision.

It might be easier next year with Carey Price, Danis, and Halak...

Old
11-16-2006, 05:47 AM
Artyukhin*

5 shutouts in 19 career AHL games for Halak

Halak another wall in the making

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 06:14 AM
Bryzga lol*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
5 shutouts in 19 career AHL games for Halak
AT 21 YEARS OLD

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Blades 0f Steel

I need to gloat. Just this once, let me gloat!

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=288478

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=272880

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote