HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Calgary - Ottawa

Old
09-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Lindros is an obvious exception. The guy was hyped as the next Gretzky/Lemieux.

I would have given up a huge package for Crosby in 2005 as well.

Monahan isn't Lindros or Crosby.
Then don't claim something ridiculous as what you did; a GM did make a trade like that.

Given this year's deep draft, there's a chance Monahan would have gone 1st or 2nd overall in any other year. In order to acquire a player like that, Cowen / Stone would be the starting point for a player of his stature - that being, a potential future 1st line center.

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Kezia
Benny

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Given this year's deep draft, there's a chance Monahan would have gone 1st or 2nd overall in any other year.
Maybe in 1996.

Kezia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 08:03 PM
derriko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalyptic Mist* View Post
Monahan is better than anything in the Sens system imo, 2nd pairing defencemen are more easier to find than young 1/2c players. His upside is undeniable and the Flames would be stupid to do this trade ainec.
Interesting enough, we have our own Monahan. Zibanejad is just as good, and has just as much potential. Trade a little physicality for defense and you have Monahan.

Anyways, this trade is one neither team does. Most logical people find it at least fair, and not a ripoff, but the needs aren't there for the positions. Also, the situations aren't right.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalyptic Mist* View Post
Except for the fact that I absolutely despise the Flames and Monahan was picked 6th. What is being offered in the op to the Flames should be insulting to their fans. Start with Karlsson I say.
rofl!

Start with the best offensive defenseman of the league, who is only 23?

I guess there must be some really great weed in Edmonton for anyone to post that drivel. The entire Calgary organization isn't worth Karlsson.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

If Stone has problems skating, Monahan will have problems putting up enough points to be a legit #1C... im exaggerating, but you get the gist.

HF has a man crush on Monahan (it's quite obvious). The guy has less offensive upside than Landeskog, and is he the offensive force you'd want at #1C? really..?

The difference between Sean Monahan and Sean Couturier is really not that large yet somehow one is a struggling (offensively) 3rd liner, and the other is "too good" to be traded for Jared Cowen and is a shoe in for #1C? lol #1C's rarely go 6th overall... probably Koivu being the last one.

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 12:18 AM
Old Man Willie
****lord 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
If Stone has problems skating, Monahan will have problems putting up enough points to be a legit #1C... im exaggerating, but you get the gist.

HF has a man crush on Monahan (it's quite obvious). The guy has less offensive upside than Landeskog, and is he the offensive force you'd want at #1C? really..?

The difference between Sean Monahan and Sean Couturier is really not that large yet somehow one is a struggling (offensively) 3rd liner, and the other is "too good" to be traded for Jared Cowen and is a shoe in for #1C? lol #1C's rarely go 6th overall... probably Koivu being the last one.
Unless its a #1 pick, no prospect is worth that kind of package. I'm sure a lot of people thought Gilbert Brule would be great when he was taken 6th overall in 2005.

Old Man Willie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 07:46 AM
Sureves

Maybe time for a reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
Hey guys, this is from draft weekend, thought I'd post it in the new forum:

Being that the draft is on Friday, I thought it would be a good time for me to post this.

Basically I've calculated the cumulative goals, assists, and point totals for all forward draft picks between 2000 and 2007. I use a (perhaps bold) assumption that forwards drafted in the first round are meant to put up points.

The tables below document the results, I considered any player who played over 160 games in the NHL to be an "NHL player". As such, when you look at the average goals, assists, and points, keep in mind that those numbers are only looking at "NHL players" (ie. it does not include the busts that never even played in the NHL, and for that reason those numbers are inflated).

For the first 5 picks I separated them individually because there is allegedly a pretty big difference between picking 5th and picking 4th, or picking 1st instead of 2nd, etc. It should be noted that doing it that way reduces our sample size substantially, so once we got to pick 6,7,8 I began to pool them together assuming (perhaps boldly) that the picks are equivalent in terms of player talent. Once we got to pick 12, the pools got larger again to include 5 picks.

To begin, I first calculated how many players scored less than 0.50 points per game for all of the draft positions, and then calculated similar numbers for different point ranges.

In other words, if we look at #1 overall for example, 5 players were drafted, all 5 of which played over 160 games. 0 of them scored below 0.50 points per game, all 5 of them scored above 0.50 points per game, all 5 above 0.60 points per game, all 5 above 0.70 points per game, all 5 above 0.80 points per game, 4 of them scored over 0.90 points per game, and 3 of them scored above 1.00 points per game.

That's how you should read the chart above.

The table below shows a clearer breakdown of the actual distribution of players who scored between a range of points per game. I personally think this table better illustrates what's going on. It also calculates the average pace of a player drafted over an 82 game season - again keep in mind that these numbers are inflated since it excludes players who never made the NHL in the first place

Lastly, a percentage breakdown. This means this takes the numbers from the table above and divided by the number of NHL players (ie. divides by the number of players who played over 160 games).

It should be noted that those with larger pools of draft picks (rather than just looking at 1 specific draft position for instance) are much more statistically significant and reliable. Caution should be exercised in looking at small sample sizes.

I'll leave the bulk of the analysis to yourselves and you can interpret as you wish, but one thing I will say is that it makes a lot of sense why those who pick #1,2 are generally very cautious about trading down, because it looks like the #1 is almost a surefire to be a superstar, and #2 a solid first line player, whereas #3 and below has a lot more risk involved in those picks.

Once you get outside the top 5, there's only about a 70% chance that your pick is going to make the NHL at all, and from there, the point totals aren't exactly mesmerizing.

Just my two cents. Have at it.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

vCash: 550
Negative on the Flames end, poor way to start a rebuild.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

This trade makes NO sense for the Flames. Massive no from the Flames.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 01:22 PM
jordyr77

not to mention we could've got Seguin for that pick lol

jordyr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 01:48 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordyr77 View Post
not to mention we could've got Seguin for that pick lol
Seguin went back into the draft? Sweet! Gimme a second for him!

Also: derp...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 02:30 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Maybe in 1996.
He is a better prospect then Reinhart who is ranked number 1 right now. This past drafts top 6 was unbelievable.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote