HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to expect from Steve Mason?

Old
09-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Roman Reigns

vCash: 500
I highly doubt either one of them plays to the same level (or at least close to it) as they did last year, but if I had to guess and pick one out of the two, I'd say Mason is more likely to perform closer to the level he did in his 7 games here than Emery did in Chicago. I watched some Chicago games last year and Emery does not have the lateral movement and quickness to play behind a pond hockey team like ours. Mason showed he could, albeit in a very limited amount of games. I guess what Im saying is I have more faith in Mason than I do Emery, and that's scary.

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:17 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan28 View Post
my top 5
1quick
2lundqvist
3crawford
4 rask
5 holtby
I can see cases made for the top 4, but can you explain why you feel so strongly about Holtby?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:02 AM
BoonesJenner

vCash: 250
If you think Mason is a capable starter than you're in for a long season...

BoonesJenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:05 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
If you think Mason is a capable starter than you're in for a long season...
Well aren't you just a beacon of sunshine? The plan, as far as I know, is to start with an Emery/Mason tandem and see if one of them earns the starting role.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:07 AM
BoonesJenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Well aren't you just a beacon of sunshine? The plan, as far as I know, is to start with an Emery/Mason tandem and see if one of them earns the starting role.
I suffered through 3 years of thinking he can turn it around. He'll play amazing for a game, maybe two, or maybe only half a game. And then his mindset goes outta whack and everything starts going in. If that happens expect him to be in a funk for awhile. And philly isn't the best place for him to get his head on straight..

Old
09-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
I suffered through 3 years of thinking he can turn it around. He'll play amazing for a game, maybe two, or maybe only half a game. And then his mindset goes outta whack and everything starts going in. If that happens expect him to be in a funk for awhile. And philly isn't the best place for him to get his head on straight..
We also had a season of Bobrovsky struggling as a back-up goaltender and we all know how that played out. Changes of scenery work sometimes. I'm not ardent that Mason is the longterm answer in Philly, but to suggest that he's not a 25-year old that could still become a solid starter is almost as ludicrous imo.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:24 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
He played pretty well the whole time he was here last season. I'm not going to act like that means we can pencil him in for 60 starts with any cofidence, but I think the change of scenery will go a long way in helping him get his career back on track. Let's not pretend like Columbus is some nurturing environment for young players either. Their track record of poorly handling the development of players is evidence enough.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:56 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

The problem with the "scenery" in Philadelphia is that it's a haunted house/graveyard for goaltenders...kind of like Afghanistan being known as the graveyard of empires...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Roman Reigns

Quote:
Worry about your own mess of a team. We all know how bad Mason has been. We don't need a fan of the worst franchise in the NHL to tell us so.

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Hiesenberg

Wow, Columbus fans coming in talking smack.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Zod
Disappointment Train

I fail to see how it's smack talk. What's wrong with a fan of his former team weighing in on a thread about expectations of Mason?

Zod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:15 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod View Post
I fail to see how it's smack talk. What's wrong with a fan of his former team weighing in on a thread about expectations of Mason?
I agree with you. That comment says a lot of things I would say myself

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 12:00 PM
BernieParent

The Mason extended try-out is palatable because a) he has a competent back-up and b) he's on a very reasonable 1-year contract. Hopefully, Holmgren is busy setting up longer-term plans B, C, D, E, and F.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod View Post
Its not like he's educating us. Most of us have a pretty good idea of Mason's track record.

Coming in and saying "don't expect this and that" is nothing.

Old
09-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
The Mason extended try-out is palatable because a) he has a competent back-up and b) he's on a very reasonable 1-year contract. Hopefully, Holmgren is busy setting up longer-term plans B, C, D, E, and F.
I assume one of those letters is Stolarz, which one however, remains the mystery.

Old
09-06-2013, 12:44 PM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan28 View Post
how manny game you think mason play this years?
im thinking Mason gets at most 50 starts. I am still not sold on Mason completely having it turned around.
i am with Beef in regards to Mason.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Its not like he's educating us. Most of us have a pretty good idea of Mason's track record.

Coming in and saying "don't expect this and that" is nothing.
^^^exactly^^^, couldnt the very same thing be said of just about any NHL goalie..

everyone has good n bad streaks, its how you repsond that i wanna see..

but im still "sold" on the idea that Mason has learned his lesson on how to weather a storm and be a professional.

if he was truely a train wreck waiting to happen for sure he would ruin his career coming here..

look at Bryz.. we/he pretty much put the cement shoes on his NHL future..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Krishna

82-0 0.00 GAA 1.000 Sv Pct

anything less is a failure

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 05:41 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

I expect him to finish the season with more career playoff wins than playoff points.

Sadly, his current playoff point total (one) is higher than his current playoff win total.

09-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
82-0 0.00 GAA 1.000 Sv Pct

anything less is a failure
How many shutouts, though?

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:33 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
How many shutouts, though?
With those stats? At least 4.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:15 AM
BoonesJenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
We also had a season of Bobrovsky struggling as a back-up goaltender and we all know how that played out. Changes of scenery work sometimes. I'm not ardent that Mason is the longterm answer in Philly, but to suggest that he's not a 25-year old that could still become a solid starter is almost as ludicrous imo.
Big big big difference between Bob and Mason. Bob put up very very good numbers before he had a bad playoff performance and was buried behind Bryz.. Mason was given the reigns with no prior professional experience, played "well" and then has never been able to get the groove back. Mason is not known for his work ethic, hustle, or having his head on straight, where as Bob is highly regarded for all of those.

And as for being "a trainwreck" of team, well we finished 24-17-7, 3rd best in entire NHL, if you dont count that first month.

I wasn't trying to talk smack, I was a huge Mason supporter for his first few years, but I've grown weary of ever getting my hopes up for Mason again, what has he done lately? He's definitely not your long term answer was all I was trying to say. He may work as a stop gap, and a leaky one at that.

Old
09-07-2013, 12:34 PM
ModryJazyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
I remain skeptical of Mason and think Emery will wind up getting the bulk of the starts this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
I highly doubt either one of them plays to the same level (or at least close to it) as they did last year, but if I had to guess and pick one out of the two, I'd say Mason is more likely to perform closer to the level he did in his 7 games here than Emery did in Chicago. I watched some Chicago games last year and Emery does not have the lateral movement and quickness to play behind a pond hockey team like ours. Mason showed he could, albeit in a very limited amount of games. I guess what Im saying is I have more faith in Mason than I do Emery, and that's scary.
Emery had great season in CHI, his stats are exactly same as Crawfords' stats.I'd keep 1.65M Emery over 6M Crawford anytime.
same team, defense, season, opponents :
Crawford. : GP 30 W 19 L 5 GAA 1.94 Sv% 0.926 SO 3
Emery......: GP 21 W 17 L 1 GAA 1.94 Sv% 0.922 SO 3

ModryJazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

I'm cautiously optimistic. I've been a fan since his World Junior days and was excited to see him get traded to the Orange & Black and be given the opportunity and second chance at his career.

However as pointed out by others, Mason's performance after being acquired was no indication of his short-comings, namely his all of a sudden and without warning complete breakdowns. To suggest that a change of scenery was all he needed to fix his "mental" game is laughable and potentially very dangerous to the hearts and minds of any Flyer fan. Those last games he played meant nothing and he was playing under very little scrutiny and pressure. We won't know anything until he begins to struggle and see how he deals with the adversity.

I do think, as a team, we'll be better and more responsible defensively and certainly Mason will benefit. I do think he's a talented goalie and capable of providing solid goaltending for the Flyers this season.

Someone already mentioned him but I think Robert Esche is a good comparable. He was a gamer who was solid but not spectacular and ultimately came 1 game short of leading the Flyers to the Stanley Cup finals.

While the platoon, historically, has never served the Flyers well, I do think this situation is different. Both Goalies have something to prove and are both "hungry".

24 days and counting...

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 01:13 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I assume one of those letters is Stolarz, which one however, remains the mystery.
I'm hoping D at this moment, rising to C if he has a great season with the Knights.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote