HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-06-2013, 06:09 PM
  #501
Jerk Store
Classless
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Aylmer
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
While has the 3rd highest cap hit of goalies, Price actually isn't even in the top 5 is actually dollars, he was paid 5.5 last year and 5.75 this year, which ranks tied for 8th for goalies.

I know what you mean but goalies really take off when they are 26,27,28, Henrik, Quick, Rask, Miller, Howard, Crawford. So while his cap hit is higher than his value of play now, in a few years it would be the other way around.

Also don't agree with Price being babied, actually the team kinda let him handle everything alone, Maybe Gainey a little but even then Gainey never got him a veteran backup to help him, Gainey made him a starter of a team that finished 1st in the East even though Price was only 20, and really didnt even steal the number 1 job.

Even when he was booed in pre season in 2010 after the Halak trade, know one in the organization said anything.

Gainey's said his reason for making Price a starter so young was to have price go thru a lot of ups and downs goalies go thru at a younger age, so when he hit his prime he would know how to handle things.

Some might not it like it, but I think his "not give a **** attitude" is what has made him last in Mtl, IMO if he was an emotional guy, he wouldn't have made it out Pre season in 2010.

With that said, it's the time for Price to take his game to another level, because this is the age where most top goalies around the league took off. For me all that media pressure, fan pressure is bs, Price has proven that it doesn't affect him. It's simply about stooping the puck.
Wth are you talking about??

Jerk Store is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 06:17 PM
  #502
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars
 
Lars Mon Amour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Saint-Hyacinthe, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
Wth are you talking about??
He said that goalies like Henrik, Quick, Rask, Miller, Howard and others started to be considered in the "elite" when they were 26 years old or older than that. They started to have great seasons when they were all 25+, that's a fact and the absolute truth.

Lars Mon Amour is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 06:23 PM
  #503
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
While has the 3rd highest cap hit of goalies, Price actually isn't even in the top 5 is actually dollars, he was paid 5.5 last year and 5.75 this year, which ranks tied for 8th for goalies.

I know what you mean but goalies really take off when they are 26,27,28, Henrik, Quick, Rask, Miller, Howard, Crawford. So while his cap hit is higher than his value of play now, in a few years it would be the other way around.

Also don't agree with Price being babied, actually the team kinda let him handle everything alone, Maybe Gainey a little but even then Gainey never got him a veteran backup to help him, Gainey made him a starter of a team that finished 1st in the East even though Price was only 20, and really didnt even steal the number 1 job.

Even when he was booed in pre season in 2010 after the Halak trade, know one in the organization said anything.

Gainey's said his reason for making Price a starter so young was to have price go thru a lot of ups and downs goalies go thru at a younger age, so when he hit his prime he would know how to handle things.

Some might not it like it, but I think his "not give a **** attitude" is what has made him last in Mtl, IMO if he was an emotional guy, he wouldn't have made it out Pre season in 2010.

With that said, it's the time for Price to take his game to another level, because this is the age where most top goalies around the league took off. For me all that media pressure, fan pressure is bs, Price has proven that it doesn't affect him. It's simply about stooping the puck.
Misconception imo. I've said this time and time again. Goaltenders improve based on their experience, not their age. It just so happens that many don't make the NHL until a later age to gain experience. The amount of goalies who turn their game around after facing 10000+ shots at the NHL level is almost zero, regardless of their age. Now Price's circumstance is a little different because he was brought in at a young age, before he ever should have been, but that doesn't take away from the fact that after 10000+ shots the sample size is usually large enough to know what you're getting.

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 06:23 PM
  #504
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
He said that goalies like Henrik, Quick, Rask, Miller, Howard and others started to be considered in the "elite" when they were 26 years old or older than that. They started to have great seasons when they were all 25+, that's a fact and the absolute truth.
This

habs03 is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 06:24 PM
  #505
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
He said that goalies like Henrik, Quick, Rask, Miller, Howard and others started to be considered in the "elite" when they were 26 years old or older than that. They started to have great seasons when they were all 25+, that's a fact and the absolute truth.
But why is posted above, the age is arbitrary, it means nothing.

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 06:32 PM
  #506
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
So where were the other 50+ goalies in the NHL? All of them apparently dont take their careers serious.

Crawford basically said there was ZERO advantage when he basically said you cant mimic in game situations. Basically they tried them on and played around with them for an hour or two. Whoopie do.
The summit was in Montreal. The coach is employed by the Montreal Canadiens.
Price is under scrutiny, Crawford is a cup winner.

You're not concerned about Prices approach to his career. Fine.

Agnostic is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 06:33 PM
  #507
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
But why is posted above, the age is arbitrary, it means nothing.
If age means nothing how come they are few few young goalies, teams seem to take their time with goalies, lehner,markstrom, Holtby as prospect are all seen as future stud goalies yet the teams took their time with them.

habs03 is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 06:36 PM
  #508
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
The summit was in Montreal. The coach is employed by the Montreal Canadiens.
Price is under scrutiny, Crawford is a cup winner.

You're not concerned about Prices approach to his career. Fine.
Dude the guy is an Ast goalie coach to the goalie part time goalie consultant for the Bulldogs of the AHL....


And your wondering why Price didnt fly all the way from BC for a photo op "summit" where the only guys that showed up where guys that live in Mtl....

habs03 is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 06:37 PM
  #509
Gally11
Registered User
 
Gally11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Misconception imo. I've said this time and time again. Goaltenders improve based on their experience, not their age. It just so happens that many don't make the NHL until a later age to gain experience. The amount of goalies who turn their game around after facing 10000+ shots at the NHL level is almost zero, regardless of their age. Now Price's circumstance is a little different because he was brought in at a young age, before he ever should have been, but that doesn't take away from the fact that after 10000+ shots the sample size is usually large enough to know what you're getting.

He's only faced 9000.. So that gives him at least another season by your standards

Gally11 is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 06:37 PM
  #510
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
But why is posted above, the age is arbitrary, it means nothing.
Best example is of Kari Lehtonen, he was a very talented goalie, made a starter at a young age, didnt do as well as some thought he would and got traded and his game took off at 26, 27...

habs03 is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 06:38 PM
  #511
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Dude the guy is an Ast goalie coach to the goalie part time goalie consultant for the Bulldogs of the AHL....


And your wondering why Price didnt fly all the way from BC for a photo op "summit" where the only guys that showed up where guys that live in Mtl....
please, by all means continue to miss the point.

Agnostic is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 06:58 PM
  #512
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally11 View Post
He's only faced 9000.. So that gives him at least another season by your standards
Its not my standard, it has been studied repeatedly.

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 07:00 PM
  #513
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Best example is of Kari Lehtonen, he was a very talented goalie, made a starter at a young age, didnt do as well as some thought he would and got traded and his game took off at 26, 27...
Kari's performance has remained almost unchanged.

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 07:08 PM
  #514
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Kari's performance has remained almost unchanged.
Really many ppl think he around here think he is top 15 goalie in the league, even tho his stats aren't amazing he has played very well. When he was traded, he was traded for a bust prospect and a 4th and many ppl think think Kari could be a nhl starter.

habs03 is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 07:15 PM
  #515
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Really many ppl think he around here think he is top 15 goalie in the league, even tho his stats aren't amazing he has played very well. When he was traded, he was traded for a bust prospect and a 4th and many ppl think think Kari could be a nhl starter.
But to add, ok, just by using the 1000 shot thing, it shows that goalies need 4-5 years before seeing what you get, maybe I noticed that goalies take off at an older age because they start playing in the NHL at an older age.

By reference the poster who said price has only faced 9000 shots, he has has a year before we really know what where getting.

Either way by the age reference or shots references, next year will tell us what type of goalie Price is/ has become or wtv.

habs03 is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 07:21 PM
  #516
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
please, by all means continue to miss the point.
What point? A photo op to promote Reebok and their new pads which 4% of the NHL goalie base even cared about. The goalies could care less about it.

Criticize Price for his weak performance down the stretch, fine but this is grasping at straws.

Kirk Muller is online now  
Old
09-06-2013, 07:44 PM
  #517
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
What point? A photo op to promote Reebok and their new pads which 4% of the NHL goalie base even cared about. The goalies could care less about it.

Criticize Price for his weak performance down the stretch, fine but this is grasping at straws.
the point to grasp is that Price should be trying harder yet he never does. The world including his boss, ex-coaches, and current coach, are on to the trends.

Agnostic is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 08:25 PM
  #518
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 20,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
What point? A photo op to promote Reebok and their new pads which 4% of the NHL goalie base even cared about. The goalies could care less about it.
Well, we've already seen the public appeals for understanding when 5-hole goals go up (see: Giguere after the summit), so I think there are goalies who care. Furthermore, different goalies are naturally going to care more than others, as there are goalies who will lost 2-3 inches off their pads while others, like Luongo, will lose less than an inch.

The real reason you're not hearing too many complain too much yet, I reckon, is because they figure they can still bank on the custom bootstrap that Lundqvist uses to close his pads when he goes down - something that didn't get touched by new regulations.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 08:31 PM
  #519
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
But to add, ok, just by using the 1000 shot thing, it shows that goalies need 4-5 years before seeing what you get, maybe I noticed that goalies take off at an older age because they start playing in the NHL at an older age.

By reference the poster who said price has only faced 9000 shots, he has has a year before we really know what where getting.

Either way by the age reference or shots references, next year will tell us what type of goalie Price is/ has become or wtv.
9100 regular season shots, 900 post season. Things are unlikely to change drastically.

Having said that, we can win with Price, but he's not a top 5 goalie and it's unlikely he will ever be imo.

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 08:41 PM
  #520
SAKS AVENUE
Registered User
 
SAKS AVENUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
9100 regular season shots, 900 post season. Things are unlikely to change drastically.

Having said that, we can win with Price, but he's not a top 5 goalie and it's unlikely he will ever be imo.

Let's see how this year pans out, if he flubs again we should trade him to Phoenix for Mike Smith, a top prospect, 1st round pick and a roster player.

If Carey's name is regarded so highly around the leagues top GM's this shouldn't be a problem, and Carey doesn't need to worry about being in the public eye down there because nobody gives a ****.

Win-Win

SAKS AVENUE is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 10:14 PM
  #521
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
the point to grasp is that Price should be trying harder yet he never does. The world including his boss, ex-coaches, and current coach, are on to the trends.
you know sweet piss all about Price's training habits outside of taking a few quotes and assuming thing.

What are the exact quotes people are making?

Kirk Muller is online now  
Old
09-06-2013, 10:23 PM
  #522
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Well, we've already seen the public appeals for understanding when 5-hole goals go up (see: Giguere after the summit), so I think there are goalies who care. Furthermore, different goalies are naturally going to care more than others, as there are goalies who will lost 2-3 inches off their pads while others, like Luongo, will lose less than an inch.

The real reason you're not hearing too many complain too much yet, I reckon, is because they figure they can still bank on the custom bootstrap that Lundqvist uses to close his pads when he goes down - something that didn't get touched by new regulations.
You arent hearing much i reckon is because like Crawford admitted, he has no clue how it will play out until he gets into live action and not some photo op where the goalies are playing around to see how they feel and dropping into basic saves to see how it covers the angle.

When 5 goalies attend all living in Montreal are the only ones to show to this very valuable camp and are going to gain an advantage, it must mean something about all the goalies in the league.

Kirk Muller is online now  
Old
09-07-2013, 03:28 AM
  #523
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
9100 regular season shots, 900 post season. Things are unlikely to change drastically.

Having said that, we can win with Price, but he's not a top 5 goalie and it's unlikely he will ever be imo.
OK but where it gets tricky is which Price are we going to get...

for the past 3 season Price has been decent, top 10 goalie aside from the last 10-15 games of last year.

In 2010-11 he had a great year played 72 games, .923sv%, was voted 7th for hart voting... also outplyed Thomas in the playoffs even though the Habs lost the series.

in 2011-12 he had a decent year considering how bad the team was, .916 sv% playing 67 games, made the All star team, wasn't amazing but top 10 goalie that year.

This past year, for the first 30-35 games he was good again, a lot of the Eastern conferences coaches though Price was one of the better goalies in the East, and thats from coaches who watch a lot of their conference not just some sports writers.

But then he had an awful end to the season and playoffs.

I mean I'm guessin that they closer the goalie reaches to the 10000 shots references the more we know where his game is at, so which Price should we expect, before th?e late season slump he was a top 10 goalie...but do we know he'll be that the slump...

habs03 is offline  
Old
09-07-2013, 05:25 AM
  #524
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
OK but where it gets tricky is which Price are we going to get...

for the past 3 season Price has been decent, top 10 goalie aside from the last 10-15 games of last year.

In 2010-11 he had a great year played 72 games, .923sv%, was voted 7th for hart voting... also outplyed Thomas in the playoffs even though the Habs lost the series.

in 2011-12 he had a decent year considering how bad the team was, .916 sv% playing 67 games, made the All star team, wasn't amazing but top 10 goalie that year.

This past year, for the first 30-35 games he was good again, a lot of the Eastern conferences coaches though Price was one of the better goalies in the East, and thats from coaches who watch a lot of their conference not just some sports writers.

But then he had an awful end to the season and playoffs.

I mean I'm guessin that they closer the goalie reaches to the 10000 shots references the more we know where his game is at, so which Price should we expect, before th?e late season slump he was a top 10 goalie...but do we know he'll be that the slump...
He didn't outplay Thomas. Played well for the most part, but Thomas IMO made bigger saves in that series.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline  
Old
09-07-2013, 06:46 AM
  #525
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
you know sweet piss all about Price's training habits outside of taking a few quotes and assuming thing.

What are the exact quotes people are making?
Rolland Melanson and Jacques Martin . Look them up yourself because apparently you have been under a rock for several years and could use the google practice.

Agnostic is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.