HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Players from Toronto that Calgary/Brian Burke might trade for.

Old
09-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Funk21

vCash: 500
Burke is gonna work with Feaster and trade for any player he thinks will make the flames better now and in the future. I think the Kessel incident has opened his eyes to the risks involved in overvalueing his current roster, a mistake i don't believe he will ever make again.

Do i think feaster is a lame duck GM, yes. Realistcally we have assets that we may need to part with and if we can trade to get better in a positions of weakness i don't care who we trade with as long as we don't give away talent. Regardless of what you think of burkes resume with the exception of he Kessel trade he has pretty much robed most others blind, and the Kessel trade is looking better with each passing day.

Funk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:33 PM
My Sweet Shadow

If Bernier legitimizes himself as a #1 and one of Owuya/Sparks/Gibson dominates in the AHL, then maybe there could be some discussion about moving Reimer to Calgary. And with Reimer being a RFA at the end of the year and likely requiring a raise, the timing might be right. However, if Bernier doesn't run away with the starting job or platooning both goalies produces good results (a la St. Louis), then it's probably too earlier to make a move.

I could see him pushing for Kulemin/McClement/Fraser in the offseason if we let any of them walk. Same thing for Orr the following year (though he'll be getting up there in age by that time).

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:38 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
In the immediate future I see Burke bringing in Liles.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:22 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk21 View Post
Burke is gonna work with Feaster and trade for any player he thinks will make the flames better now and in the future. I think the Kessel incident has opened his eyes to the risks involved in overvalueing his current roster, a mistake i don't believe he will ever make again.

Do i think feaster is a lame duck GM, yes. Realistcally we have assets that we may need to part with and if we can trade to get better in a positions of weakness i don't care who we trade with as long as we don't give away talent. Regardless of what you think of burkes resume with the exception of he Kessel trade he has pretty much robed most others blind, and the Kessel trade is looking better with each passing day.
To be fair, the roster he put together in Toronto after the Kessel deal should have been better than it was. I really thought they had a good shot at the playoffs when I saw that roster on paper.

I don't think he's under any such illusions in Calgary. They look like a bottom-5 team and no amount of tinkering is going to change that.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Ryp37

Sedins to Calgary- E5

Ryp37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:37 PM
dubey
Cookie Powered

Liles to Calgary - done deal

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Ho Borvat

Calgary
Nazem Kadri

Toronto
Sven Baertschi

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:43 PM
re5piration
'67 til

Kadri would be number one on my list. Him and Monahan would make a great 1-2 sooner rather than later.

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:45 PM
TOGuy14

I think the Liles rumors have more credibility.

Burke out of anyone would consider Liles a good deal more than a cap dump.

TOGuy14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:45 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Step one for Burke will be assembling a group of qualified individuals to staff the front office.

Burke and Feaster have a good history, so I would be surprised if Burke was coming in to supplant him and can his ass.

More likely, Burke EVENTUALLY becomes GM, but in a manner where Feaster is maintained in the organization and one where the PR is managed so it looks like Feaster isn't a total scapegoat.

In terms of the immediate impact and players Burke may look at bringing into the organization, I would candidly suggest Nazem Kadri AND Cody Franson.

Although Burke/Feaster can't threaten BOTH with O/S's the more likely candidate is Kadri.

Burke might not do it because Nonis is his brotha-from-anotha-motha, but the Leafs are exposed and Kadri likely figures to be a 1C soon, if not immediately given the rebuild state of the Calgary roster.

Burke is certainly ballsy enough to risk a high 1st rounder in the upcoming draft, but he wouldn't do anything more than the 1st 2nd 3rd compensation. So likely they THREATEN to O/S Kadri at ~$6M/7YRS and offer some sort of package to acquire both Kadri and Franson in exchange for something like player/pick or prospect/pick.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:53 PM
dfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Step one for Burke will be assembling a group of qualified individuals to staff the front office.

Burke and Feaster have a good history, so I would be surprised if Burke was coming in to supplant him and can his ass.

More likely, Burke EVENTUALLY becomes GM, but in a manner where Feaster is maintained in the organization and one where the PR is managed so it looks like Feaster isn't a total scapegoat.

In terms of the immediate impact and players Burke may look at bringing into the organization, I would candidly suggest Nazem Kadri AND Cody Franson.

Although Burke/Feaster can't threaten BOTH with O/S's the more likely candidate is Kadri.

Burke might not do it because Nonis is his brotha-from-anotha-motha, but the Leafs are exposed and Kadri likely figures to be a 1C soon, if not immediately given the rebuild state of the Calgary roster.

Burke is certainly ballsy enough to risk a high 1st rounder in the upcoming draft, but he wouldn't do anything more than the 1st 2nd 3rd compensation. So likely they THREATEN to O/S Kadri at ~$6M/7YRS and offer some sort of package to acquire both Kadri and Franson in exchange for something like player/pick or prospect/pick.
cue all the burke hating offer sheets comments

**** it would be sweet if he took Liles

dfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:22 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
Stajan...oh wait they already got that All-Star
Laugh all you want, but Stajan and Stempniak were two of their best players last year - and the only regulars to finish in the + category on a really bad team.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 04:03 PM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
Recommendations my ass. Kevin Lowe is the "President of Hockey Operations" in Edmonton and he said publicly that he has final say on any trades or signings. Burke is too prideful to let a fool like Feaster make moves that Burke would not do.

This Burke hiring won't end well in Calgary...
Not for Feaster. For Flame fans, it certainly will. I think they'll be cup contenders within 5 years.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Dylbot

Burke sign liles to that contract, the only decent thing would be to take him.

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 04:18 PM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Compensation is based on the average number of years to a max of five. $42m actually gets divided by 5, not 7. That means $8.4m. Two firsts, a second, and a third. Another $10k and it would be four firsts.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 05:10 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four1 Lead View Post
Did you read the first two sentences of my post?

Brian Burke did not go to Calgary to make recommendations to Jay ********** Feaster.
Man, some of you YYZ boys sure love "Burkie" eh?

JP Mick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 05:39 PM
DavidBL

Kind of surprised no one has really mentioned Franson. Burke acquired him, he's young so he is good for rebuilding or the "now and future" idea. It also makes room in Tor for Reilly and they can Pay Kadri a decent amount. JML makes sense for Toronto wanting to shed salary, Franson makes sense for Calgary wanting to strengthen now and future. Franson will cost more, but as long as it doesn't cost a 1st rounder I can see Calgary doing it.

DavidBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 05:49 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Just because Burke has a familiarity with Liles does not mean he is going to do the Leafs a favor.

He flat out stated that he wants to make this team bigger and tough to play against - Strike One

Calgary already has an abundance of left handed defenders - strike two

Calgary already has an abundance of smallish puck moving defenders who are deserving of playing time, and fit the structure of this team better as they are significantly cheaper and younger (Brodie, Russell, Cundari etc..) - Strike three

The only possible way that Calgary would have an interest in acquiring Liles would be in a deal in which they receive additional assets for the cap relief the leafs would free up.

Franson on the other hand would make considerably more sense in terms of a player he may potentially target.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 06:01 PM
CaptainCrunch67

Doubt there's any interest in goaltenders. The Flames have a pipeline of young goaltenders and the luxury of a team with low expectations is going to give them all the opportunity in the world while watching how the prospect goalies develop.

I doubt any of Calgary's top 3 draft picks or top 10 to 15 prospects are on the table.

I also doubt that Calgary is going to move Gio or Camm until later in the season when they can garner a higher return.

The time for Calgary to make trades is two or three years down the road when they start getting competitive and start adding around a young core.

If Liles was the player then the price of addons to Toronto would have to be heavy for the Flames to have any interest.

CaptainCrunch67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Unagi

I doubt there is any chance Burke will consider having Feaster offersheet Kadri. For starters the Flames are rebuilding, so 1st and 2nd rounders are gold. Secondly, Burke has good relations to Dave Nonis...no way he screws him over and offersheets Kadri.

The only way Kadri desses as a Flame is via trade. But I don't think Calgary will be willing to trade a guy like Baertschi or Monahan for him.

Unagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
In the immediate future I see Burke bringing in Liles.
I would not be heart broken. Also I would love to see Liles regain form with another team.

Mystifo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Quares27

Would be nice if Burke did us a favour and traded for Liles

Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 07:13 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
If he does target anyone it will most likely be prospects (like when Sutter got Kipper) but he isn't the Gm so I doubt there is a move any time soon.
Yes he is, they just won't admit it publicly but make no mistake weither they say it or not Brian Burke is the boss

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wayner View Post
Offer sheet Kadri, with Feaster's face out in front of it.
Then can Feaster's dumb @ss.
Offer sheeting Kadri would be suicidal for Calgary. They are a lottery team even with him. All they'd be doing is giving Toronto a heap of high picks, two of which likely top ten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
Would be nice if Burke did us a favour and traded for Liles
I could actually see that happening, provided Toronto added a decent pick to Liles. Burke did this exact thing a few years ago.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 08:06 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

If Calgary wanted Liles Calgary would already have Liles. Nobody wants Liles. Nobody wants Liles for 50% of his salary either. Burke better regret signing that contract because if he trades for him he's just making the same mistake twice.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote