HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rochester Amerks / Minors Thread 2013

Closed Thread

Old
09-06-2013, 09:14 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTC Addict View Post
Not that I care but as a minor league sports fan I have to say Weekends are what you live for s a franchise. They are your top selling nights.
When you don't need to concern yourself with the bottom line though, it becomes less of a consideration. Whether the Rochester fans like it or not, the ownership views the Amerks as Sabres University and the primary focus is development of future Sabres, and if they believe a different schedule is more conducive to that goal, they'll do it.

Old
09-07-2013, 12:46 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga View Post
Thoughts on these lines:

Rochester:
Catenacci - Larsson - Armia
Locke - Girgensons - Tardif
Varone - Zigomanis -Nelson
Adam - Schaller - Jacobs

Roy - Sundher -Parker
My thoughts:
Add Ellis.
Add Sundher to lineup. Delete Nelson (maybe Locke) - contracts?
Will we have an enforcer?
Will Schaller be ready at the start?

Last edited by Jacob582: 09-07-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old
09-07-2013, 04:19 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
When you don't need to concern yourself with the bottom line though, it becomes less of a consideration. Whether the Rochester fans like it or not, the ownership views the Amerks as Sabres University and the primary focus is development of future Sabres, and if they believe a different schedule is more conducive to that goal, they'll do it.
I would bet considerable money there won't be anywhere near as many Wednesday games next season and more weekend games.

Old
09-07-2013, 05:04 PM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
My thoughts:
Add Ellis.
Add Sundher to lineup. Delete Nelson (maybe Locke) - contracts?
Will we have an enforcer?
Will Schaller be ready at the start?
I remember reading somewhere that they are planning to add a tough guy before the seasons starts... But that was some weeks ago, don't know if this is still the case.

Old
09-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga View Post
Thoughts on these lines:

Rochester:
Catenacci - Larsson - Armia
Locke - Girgensons - Tardif
Varone - Zigomanis -Nelson
Adam - Schaller - Jacobs

Roy - Sundher -Parker

Buffalo:
Vanek - Hodgson - Stafford
Ennis - Grigorenko - Leino
Ott - Porter - Flynn
Tropp - Foligno - Kaleta

Scott - McCormick
I think McCormick is sent down. He also gives Rochester toughness.

Two of Armia, Catennacci, Larrson, Flynn, and Girgensons earn spots with Buffalo. The other 3 in Rochester. Foligno also could be sent down freely.

It's possible with buffalo is they could have a rotation f players set up and they could possibly send down Foligno to see how a Girgensons-Larrson-Foligno line works in Rochester.

Old
09-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
It may get lost in the training camp thread, but here's the added toughness for Rochester in Johnny McGuire. Here are his OHL fights; below is his fight from a CHI-OTT prospect game last week.

Old
09-11-2013, 12:49 PM
sabrefan27

Really? That's their replacement for Tarnasky? Pretty awful if it's true. I hope Gillies is the real guy to replace Tarnasky's role.

Old
09-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Really? That's their replacement for Tarnasky? Pretty awful if it's true. I hope Gillies is the real guy to replace Tarnasky's role.
Wrong Gillies. Trevor is the fighter. Colton is just big.

09-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Woodhouse

Quote:
Gillies, really? Gillies is Colton, not Trevor. Sure he has the size advantage, but McGuire had more fights in 2011-12 than Gillies has had in his junior and pro career combined. He's one of the kids who were affected by the OHL's new fight limit, seeing his totals drop from 23 to 11. He also has no problem fighting at a size disadvantage, fighting bigger guys like Tinordi and Zadorov.

Old
09-11-2013, 01:56 PM
sabrefan27

I'm aware that it's Colton. He will stick up for his teammates and plays pretty physical. While not fighting as much as Tarnasky, he's a suitable replacement. I'd prefer not having a one dimensional rookie. He wouldn't even crack the lineup, anyway.

Old
09-11-2013, 02:06 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I'm aware that it's Colton. He will stick up for his teammates and plays pretty physical. While not fighting as much as Tarnasky, he's a suitable replacement. I'd prefer not having a one dimensional rookie. He wouldn't even crack the lineup, anyway.
I don't see how Gillies is a replacement for Tarnasky in that department at all.

In 673 games in the WHL, AHL and NHL Gillies has been in 18 total fights with only 3 in the last 3 seasons (1 each season). Tarnasky was in 17 fights last year alone.

Last edited by joshjull: 09-11-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old
09-11-2013, 02:51 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I don't see how Gillies is a replacement for Tarnasky in that department at all.

In 673 games in the WHL, AHL and NHL Gillies has been in 18 total fights with only 3 in the last 3 seasons (1 each season). Tarnasky was in 17 fights last year alone.
Why did they let Tarnasky go? He played really well in his role. Did he count against the vet limit?

Old
09-11-2013, 03:09 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Why did they let Tarnasky go? He played really well in his role. Did he count against the vet limit?
Maybe "replacement" was the wrong word. Either way, some kid with 4 goals in his junior career certainly isn't a quality signing as a replacement. Hopefully Gillies makes his way to the Amerks as a depth signing. They said all along they wanted a replacement. This is a sad excuse for one, if that's the case.

Old
09-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
It may get lost in the training camp thread, but here's the added toughness for Rochester in Johnny McGuire. Here are his OHL fights; below is his fight from a CHI-OTT prospect game last week.

Browsing his fight card videos, the kid can chuck.

Old
09-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Woodhouse

Five invites to training camp on tryouts: Ryan Grimshaw, Tom Janosz, Evan Bloodoff, Alex Hutchings and Jordy Trottier ... Schaller (shoulder) isn't allowed to have full contact yet and is 7-10 days away ... Amerks play their only two preseason games on Wednesday and Friday versus WBS.

Old
09-22-2013, 09:47 PM
sabrefan27

No Gillies is very disappointing.

Old
09-22-2013, 11:18 PM
Blue n Gold Forever

Quote:
No Gillies is very disappointing.
Why? The guy had his shot and apparently didn't cut it. So they cut him. I've seen the same sentiment over on the Let's Go Amerks Board where Buffalo does nothing right. This is apparently the latest travesty.

I understand the need to fill the role, but it seems like he didn't bring enough to the table. There's about 20 guys in the Amerks camp now, with 12 or so more due tomorrow. Seems to me like that makes him about the 50th best guy in camp. Want to quibble about Szydlowski and Parker? That makes Gilles about the 48th best guy in camp.

The team that's being put together in Rochester looks like the best in years. I don't understand the love for Gillies. They can always call him up from the ECHL if they feel the need.

Old
09-22-2013, 11:24 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue n Gold Forever View Post
Why? The guy had his shot and apparently didn't cut it. So they cut him. I've seen the same sentiment over on the Let's Go Amerks Board where Buffalo does nothing right. This is apparently the latest travesty.

I understand the need to fill the role, but it seems like he didn't bring enough to the table. There's about 20 guys in the Amerks camp now, with 12 or so more due tomorrow. Seems to me like that makes him about the 50th best guy in camp. Want to quibble about Szydlowski and Parker? That makes Gilles about the 48th best guy in camp.

The team that's being put together in Rochester looks like the best in years. I don't understand the love for Gillies. They can always call him up from the ECHL if they feel the need.
You seem pretty bitter and angry any time you talk about the Amerks. Don't go in the thread if you can't deal with a simple opinion.

I watched Gillies play in the first preseason game and he was very effective. Fast, physical and he scored a goal. He also fits a very important spot, as he's an exempt veteran.

Anyway, your post is pretty bizarre. It's a simple point. Gillies would have been a good player for them, and the article in the paper yesterday seemed to suggest he was on his way to Rochester. So yeah, again, it's disappointing to me. Sorry if you don't like it.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:44 AM
Old Navy Goat

Since he was on a PTO, odds are that he requested the opportunity to see if he could latch on with another team before going to the AHL. He could very well go to the Amerks if no one is interested enough to give him a NHL deal.

Old
09-23-2013, 01:08 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Since he was on a PTO, odds are that he requested the opportunity to see if he could latch on with another team before going to the AHL. He could very well go to the Amerks if no one is interested enough to give him a NHL deal.
Agreed

Old
09-23-2013, 03:49 AM
Djp

Quote:

I watched Gillies play in the first preseason game and he was very effective. Fast, physical and he scored a goal. He also fits a very important spot, as he's an exempt veteran.
Exempt---how? He has to clear waivers to be sent down to the AHL.

In terms of buffalo his odds were stacked against him. He is a 4th liner and buffalo has Scott and Kaleta assured a spot and then a likely battle between Porter and McCormick for the center job with McCormick having the edge. What complicates things further is the liklihood of Buffalo going with 8 Dmen and 13 forwards to start the season.

this really wasnt a slap against him, but maybe giving him a chance to find an NHL job on another team.

Last edited by Djp: 09-23-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Old
09-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Blue n Gold Forever

Quote:
You seem pretty bitter and angry any time you talk about the Amerks. Don't go in the thread if you can't deal with a simple opinion.

Anyway, your post is pretty bizarre. It's a simple point. Gillies would have been a good player for them, and the article in the paper yesterday seemed to suggest he was on his way to Rochester. So yeah, again, it's disappointing to me. Sorry if you don't like it.
Well I stand corrected. Yours and the three subsequent posts point out that this was possibly a move made at his request. I was mistaken by thinking he was cut.

Old
09-23-2013, 11:09 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Not according to the article and his own quotes. My guess is they probably never had any intention to send him to Rochester.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Per the Amerks Facebook page:

Quote:
The #Sabres have assigned the following players to the #Amerks: Matt Hackett, Brayden McNabb, Chad Ruhwedel, and Mike Zigomanis. Drew Bagnall and Matt Ellis will also be assigned, pending waivers.
Nothing terribly unexpected, though I am a bit surprised that Hackett isn't getting one more game with the big club.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:46 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Exempt---how? He has to clear waivers to be sent down to the AHL.
He means exempt from the AHL veterans limit. Waivers would only be an issue for Gillies if he were on an NHL contract

Closed Thread