HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Center problem

Old
09-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Eskimo44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
Come on. The guy's eyeball exploded. He's half-blind out there. No coach is going to play him and no club would insure him in his current state. He should just retire.
Alan Vingneault did not stop trusting or playing Maholtra, Gillis did. Maholtra got by far the most SH time on ice per game (2:47) for Vancouver and was still used in a heavy defensive zone start role (25% ozone, that's crazy). Vigneault also used him for faceoffs a lot in his 9 games, he took about 10 per game and won 65% of them. He did get bumped down to 8 minutes per game at evens, but really that's all you'd expect the 4th line center to get anyways. At the end of the day Maholtra played 10-12 minutes per night in a heavy defensive role for a quality club last season, and it was concerns over safety not effectiveness that was the supposed reason for his banishment. If he feels fine and his vision is improving there is no reason he shouldn't get a chance, he's still managed to be effective enough to fill a role. Lets be honest with Gordon in tow the 4th line center is just going to have to be capable defensively, at draws, and on the PK to be a great fit. Maholtra on the wing or as a sub could also be a good fit. No question he helps the PK immensely, is an excellent option to win a crucial faceoff, and at worst isn't going to kill you on the 4th line. Sounds like a reasonable option to me, as it was to one of the NHL's elite coaches.

Also the year before, his first with the eye injury, was no different, in fact it was better:

77 games playing nearly 10 minutes per game at evens (12th out of all regular Canucks)
2:24 on the PK. (1st on Canucks)
58.5% faceoff (insane, only 3 players in the NHL with at least 500 draws were better and not by much) in over 900 draws (3rd most on Canucks)
13.2 Ozone start (insane, 1st on Canucks and the NHL)
Also his quality of competition was very comparable to all the other Vancouver centers, i.e. they did not shelter him.

The fact is before the eye injury he was an elite 3rd line center, now he's a very good 4th line center. Sure he fell off big time but he was a truly excellent player before the injury. Maholtra's demise is fairly overstated IMO, his play was never the concern despite his inability to be as effective as he once was. The coach never stopped trusting him.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 02:09 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
This isn't minor hockey but it is still the Oilers. Nepotism is everywhere in this organization. There is a reason why Lowe still has a job despite failing over and over, why MacT, Howson and Moores were brought back, why Buchberger and Smith seem to survive every coaching purge, and why Smyth is still on the team. The people who run this organization are more concerned with keeping themselves and their friends employed than they are building a winning hockey team.
Not to mention drafting Musil and Simpson's kid. Keegan Lowe had to specifically tell his dad not to draft him. That's a hell of a thing, hey? When your own kid has to explain a basic moral principle like "nepotism is bad" to you.

Anyway, I'm thrilled RNH is feeling better. Don't care when he returns as long as he's 100% when he does. I can handle watching a month of scrambling failure until he comes back. I've had a lot of practise.

Last edited by NAF: 09-03-2013 at 02:14 PM.
NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 02:13 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Alan Vingneault did not stop trusting or playing Maholtra, Gillis did. Maholtra got by far the most SH time on ice per game (2:47) for Vancouver and was still used in a heavy defensive zone start role (25% ozone, that's crazy). Vigneault also used him for faceoffs a lot in his 9 games, he took about 10 per game and won 65% of them. He did get bumped down to 8 minutes per game at evens, but really that's all you'd expect the 4th line center to get anyways. At the end of the day Maholtra played 10-12 minutes per night in a heavy defensive role for a quality club last season, and it was concerns over safety not effectiveness that was the supposed reason for his banishment. If he feels fine and his vision is improving there is no reason he shouldn't get a chance, he's still managed to be effective enough to fill a role. Lets be honest with Gordon in tow the 4th line center is just going to have to be capable defensively, at draws, and on the PK to be a great fit. Maholtra on the wing or as a sub could also be a good fit. No question he helps the PK immensely, is an excellent option to win a crucial faceoff, and at worst isn't going to kill you on the 4th line. Sounds like a reasonable option to me, as it was to one of the NHL's elite coaches.

Also the year before, his first with the eye injury, was no different, in fact it was better:

77 games playing nearly 10 minutes per game at evens (12th out of all regular Canucks)
2:24 on the PK. (1st on Canucks)
58.5% faceoff (insane, only 3 players in the NHL with at least 500 draws were better and not by much) in over 900 draws (3rd most on Canucks)
13.2 Ozone start (insane, 1st on Canucks and the NHL)
Also his quality of competition was very comparable to all the other Vancouver centers, i.e. they did not shelter him.

The fact is before the eye injury he was an elite 3rd line center, now he's a very good 4th line center. Sure he fell off big time but he was a truly excellent player before the injury. Maholtra's demise is fairly overstated IMO, his play was never the concern despite his inability to be as effective as he once was. The coach never stopped trusting him.

Hmm. Interesting points. Okay, I'm sold. I'd be onboard for giving him a PTO. But my caveat would be he'd have to pass one hell of a physical first.

Old
09-03-2013, 02:13 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
I think Lander would make an excellent captain for OKC. He would get much more playtime than playing as the 4C here. He should be first call-up.

If he ends up being the 4th best center at camp though, he should start in Edmonton.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 02:27 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not to mention drafting Musil and Simpson's kid. Keegan Lowe had to specifically tell his dad not to draft him. That's a hell of a thing, hey? When your own kid has to explain a basic moral principle like "nepotism is bad" to you.

Anyway, I'm thrilled RNH is feeling better. Don't care when he returns as long as he's 100% when he does. I can handle watching a month of scrambling failure until he comes back. I've had a lot of practise.
The devils drafted Brodeurs kid. Must be nepotism.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Are you meaning it wasn't?? That was pretty much the definition of nepotism.

Brodeur literally drafted him himself. They traded a pick in next years draft for one of the last picks in this years draft. If they hadn't he would have gone undrafted.

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 02:34 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Of course it was. Every other team in the NHL had 207 chances to pick the kid. No one wanted him but his dad's team. If you can't see the nepotism there, I can't really help you.

Old
09-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
He looks a little more toned now, which is good.
He looks like he's 15. haha. Not that I care either way. The kid can play.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
It was actually pretty blatant nepotism and was just a nice guy gesture to Marty so he could draft his son.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 03:02 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
@TheChrisWescott
RNH on if he'll be able to play October 1st: "its wait and see" but he's feeling good. Says his shot is better than before #oilers
This is huge and great news, the one thing Nuge needs to become a star player is a good shot. He has great passing ability, but if no one fears his shot they will just give him space and cover the guys around him. He needs to be able to prove that if left a lone he will walk in a wire one.

Great news.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 03:56 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
He looks a little more toned now, which is good.
I read that as tanned as that was the first thing I noticed

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 05:15 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Great news about RNH being right on track with his recovery and his shot being better now than before.

Nice to hear it right RNH as well so that should kill any speculation going forward that it's just management spin.

As to adding another C to compete with Lander/Acton/Miller... yes I'd love to see Malhotra added if he's healthy enough to play. Having Gordon and Malhotra as the bottom 6 centremen would basically be an elite (or at least above average) bottom 6 pair of centres... to go along with the solid top 6 pair in RNH and Gagner.

I'd much rather have Miller/Acton/Lander fighting for a #13 roster spot and moving up when injuries hit than have one of those pencilled into the 4th line on opening day... and then moving up into the top 9 when injuries hit.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Usual_Suspect

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Bit of a theme likely to emerge when EDM and CGY open training camps in a week or so: Wingers being asked to try centre to plug holes.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: EDM, likely without Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (shoulder rehab) for month of October, will at least try Hall and Gagner as top 2 centres.

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:31 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
@TSNBobMcKenzie: Bit of a theme likely to emerge when EDM and CGY open training camps in a week or so: Wingers being asked to try centre to plug holes.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: EDM, likely without Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (shoulder rehab) for month of October, will at least try Hall and Gagner as top 2 centres.
I really hope nuge is ready to go at the start of the year, but even if he isn't, I hope we don't put Hall at C. Just let Gordon play on the 2nd line. It isn't like he has no offensive upside, it will be fine as a stop gap.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:44 PM
skorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
It was actually pretty blatant nepotism and was just a nice guy gesture to Marty so he could draft his son.
Yeah Marty's been their goalie for like 20 years... doesn't hurt to let him draft his kid late in the draft... especially since he was a borderline draftable player anyway.

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 05:11 PM
oilman9482

If Gagner was a solid 2nd line center then we would be fine... In my opinion he is one of the weaker 2nd line C's in the NHL. Gordon should be fine and Lander will fit on the 4th line. If we could ever upgrade on Gagner we'd be solid.

oilman9482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

It's a bit interesting that the Oilers are trying both Roy and Khaira at C tonight, if both play C going forward and progress they could go a long way to making our weakest position a lot more respectable. Add in Yakimov and maybe we have some actual organizational depth at some point?

09-07-2013, 05:51 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman9482 View Post
If Gagner was a solid 2nd line center then we would be fine... In my opinion he is one of the weaker 2nd line C's in the NHL. Gordon should be fine and Lander will fit on the 4th line. If we could ever upgrade on Gagner we'd be solid.
We need a 2nd line centre like Gagner (17th highest scoring centre last year) to make up for the lack of offence we will be getting from Gordon and Lander/Acton

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
We need a 2nd line centre like Gagner (17th highest scoring centre last year) to make up for the lack of offence we will be getting from Gordon and Lander/Acton
That could be true if Gordon goes all Belanger on us.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 06:09 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:

When they were making the choice whether they wanted to draft David Musil, Frank wasn't present

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 06:11 PM
oilman9482

Quote:
Gagner's linemates bring him up, not the other way around. He doesn't create any of his own offense and is very below average defensively. I don't like him as a center on a team that wants to make the playoffs.

Old
09-07-2013, 06:18 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
It's amazing how people can call him a below average second line center, when his offense is more like that of a 1st line center

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 06:21 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman9482 View Post
Gagner's linemates bring him up, not the other way around. He doesn't create any of his own offense and is very below average defensively. I don't like him as a center on a team that wants to make the playoffs.
I think you are really underrating Gagner here. Especially his offensive abilities.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 06:23 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
It's amazing how people can call him a below average second line center, when his offense is more like that of a 1st line center
But his 2 way play and defensive awareness is more like that of a raw rookie or AHL player.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 06:23 PM
oilman9482

Quote:
I think you are really underrating Gagner here. Especially his offensive abilities.
I hope I am.