HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXVII - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
09-07-2013, 08:41 AM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Remind me how Kristo lacked character? Did he give alcohol to some 19 year olds?
Seemed to have some maturity issues, and a party type of lifestyle going...but then again so do others at times...let's be frank, we don't have the info or the insight that the organization does, so they make their decisions based on what they feel is best and move on...Kristo will be a decent NHL player, but we didn't trade Guy Lafleur here guys...

Old
09-07-2013, 09:26 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Which is starting to be quite the achievement. Trying to one up himself with each step?
You're a very witty guy.

I'd like to watch a sitcom where you, Ozymandias, and WhiskeySeven are the script writers. Either that or I hope I find out the next time two of you are engaged in a flame war.

Old
09-07-2013, 09:27 AM
deandebean

Who says Kristo's not the one who asked to be traded?

Old
09-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You're a very witty guy.

I'd like to watch a sitcom where you, Ozymandias, and WhiskeySeven are the script writers. Either that or I hope I find out the next time two of you are engaged in a flame war.
I'd definitely sign up to see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Actually from what I've been reading over the last few years about Kristo. My hunch is that is exactly what happened.

09-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
For all the focus on the briere move (and to lesser extent, Bouillion & DD extensions), the Kristo trade could turn out to be his worst decision thus far.

Hoping Thomas quickly (or eventually) rewards MB's gamble, but for now, based on what I know of both players (to be fair, it's not enough to pass a decisive judgment) in skeptical that this one will turn out well for us.
Honestly, unless we discover that Thomas is a top 6 NHL player, the trade indeed makes no sense. We've drafted players based on the fact that we are too small. We let go Archambault based on the fact that we have enough small players like him. We have GLARING needs as far as size, defensive minded d-man and so on and then, you use one of your best prospect for.....a small forward? That makes NO SENSE whatsoever. Character or not, I don't care. So many times have we heard about this guy character and yet it worked with other teams. Strangely, we won't hear about the supposed Kristo character.

What also makes no sense is to not see what he's about at least in this camp. I can ASSURE you that even if he's ordinairy during preseason camp, the Thomas-Kristo trade would STILL have been there.

Everything is build on Thomas becoming a great NHL'er.....Let's pray.....

Old
09-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Honestly, unless we discover that Thomas is a top 6 NHL player, the trade indeed makes no sense. We've drafted players based on the fact that we are too small. We let go Archambault based on the fact that we have enough small players like him. We have GLARING needs as far as size, defensive minded d-man and so on and then, you use one of your best prospect for.....a small forward? That makes NO SENSE whatsoever. Character or not, I don't care. So many times have we heard about this guy character and yet it worked with other teams. Strangely, we won't hear about the supposed Kristo character.

What also makes no sense is to not see what he's about at least in this camp. I can ASSURE you that even if he's ordinairy during preseason camp, the Thomas-Kristo trade would STILL have been there.

I don't think Archambault not being signed had anything to do with size. He made very little progress in the 2 years after being drafted and wasn't ready to play in the pros. Better to sign a FA that can play AHL than a guy like him who will play 2-3 years ECHL.

I don't think MB and co are as obsessed with size and the fans...they did draft Lehkonen and Reway who are small but ultra skilled.

My hunch on Kristo is, after having him around for 3-4 weeks(plus development camps) they did not see enough drive and work ethic for him to be a top 6 forward in the NHL, so they traded him for what they saw as better value. Thomas is a sniper and has a good work ethic and good bloodlines. Maybe he won't fit here because of size and too many similar players, but he has 2 more years without waivers so he can be an asset to be traded down the road.

I guess we'll know who won in about 3 years.

Old
09-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Why would that be? Signed a 2-year contract, played a couple of games with Hamilton....why didn't he used his right to get out of this organizaiton in year 3? What did the Habs do to him for him to ask to be traded?

And even if true....We don't owe him anything, at least not to rush it, how about we go and aim for needs. As we did for the draft. Again, unless, Thomas fills a need 'cause he has in him to become a top 6 player sniper. If so, he fills a need....but that so still to be proven.

Old
09-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Why would that be? Signed a 2-year contract, played a couple of games with Hamilton....why didn't he used his right to get out of this organizaiton in year 3? What did the Habs do to him for him to ask to be traded?

And even if true....We don't owe him anything, at least not to rush it, how about we go and aim for needs. As we did for the draft. Again, unless, Thomas fills a need 'cause he has in him to become a top 6 player sniper. If so, he fills a need....but that so still to be proven.

I personally can't answer that WS, it's just a hunch I have. From talking to people and watching his interviews, there seemed to be something missing in his wanting to be a Hab. I obviously could be wrong *wouldn't be the first time*, it's just a feeling I've had about Kristo for awhile now. Which is too bad, because he's been one of my favorite Habs prospects for awhile now.

Old
09-07-2013, 10:23 AM
HCH

I guess the point isn't to acquire a bunch of players with great individual stats, it is to put together a group of guys who play for each other and complement one another to form a solid team. That concept often gets lost here and in the media. We analyze every player in isolation without always considering how the pieces fit. Perhaps Kristo was looking for an immediate spot as a top 6 forward, maybe he had character issues, and maybe it was something else.

On the face of it, New York probably won on a purely talent point of view but the real goal is for the Canadiens to be better than the Rangers, not for Thomas to be better than Kristo.

Bergevin could still wind up with egg on his face but I don't see the point in torturing ourselves over this trade when there are so many other players we can focus on and enjoy their development.

Old
09-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I don't think Archambault not being signed had anything to do with size. He made very little progress in the 2 years after being drafted and wasn't ready to play in the pros. Better to sign a FA that can play AHL than a guy like him who will play 2-3 years ECHL.

I don't think MB and co are as obsessed with size and the fans...they did draft Lehkonen and Reway who are small but ultra skilled.

My hunch on Kristo is, after having him around for 3-4 weeks(plus development camps) they did not see enough drive and work ethic for him to be a top 6 forward in the NHL, so they traded him for what they saw as better value. Thomas is a sniper and has a good work ethic and good bloodlines. Maybe he won't fit here because of size and too many similar players, but he has 2 more years without waivers so he can be an asset to be traded down the road.

I guess we'll know who won in about 3 years.
Archambault still ended up a PPG regular season and in the playoffs. And for some, he didn't look too bad on his first stint with the Dogs. And never was he playing on incredible top teams either.

They may not be obsessed like the fans....yet, they keep mentioning that it was important to be bigger. Geez, Molson at the golf tournament said that we were now "grand"....didn't even mentioned better with Brière in his mind. By the way, the obsession with size comes with the fact that we didn't have any or so little. Once there's a better redistribution, nobody will say no to a smaller skilled player.

As far as not seeing enough work ethic...again, it all depends how you see it. At one point, Price was and probably is still seen like that. Subban had "character" issues...Beaulieu do seem to have it....and yet, all those guys are still here. Was Kristo worst than that? We'll see....yet, this is just like Ribeiro, Grabovski and the others.....So bad influence for our team, yet succeeded in staying with their new team for a long time.

Honestly, it has to be either one of these things. Kristo has to be amongst ones of the worst teamates and human beings on the planet 'cause he's not only taller than Thomas but he's really fast which is what this game is all about. And frankly, he's just as a sniper as Thomas is supposed to be. Or, Bergevin say in Thomas a much better player....Yes...we will see. I can assure you though....won't take 3 years to know.

Old
09-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Archambault still ended up a PPG regular season and in the playoffs. And for some, he didn't look too bad on his first stint with the Dogs. And never was he playing on incredible top teams either.

They may not be obsessed like the fans....yet, they keep mentioning that it was important to be bigger. Geez, Molson at the golf tournament said that we were now "grand"....didn't even mentioned better with Brière in his mind. By the way, the obsession with size comes with the fact that we didn't have any or so little. Once there's a better redistribution, nobody will say no to a smaller skilled player.

As far as not seeing enough work ethic...again, it all depends how you see it. At one point, Price was and probably is still seen like that. Subban had "character" issues...Beaulieu do seem to have it....and yet, all those guys are still here. Was Kristo worst than that? We'll see....yet, this is just like Ribeiro, Grabovski and the others.....So bad influence for our team, yet succeeded in staying with their new team for a long time.

Honestly, it has to be either one of these things. Kristo has to be amongst ones of the worst teamates and human beings on the planet 'cause he's not only taller than Thomas but he's really fast which is what this game is all about. And frankly, he's just as a sniper as Thomas is supposed to be. Or, Bergevin say in Thomas a much better player....Yes...we will see. I can assure you though....won't take 3 years to know.
Archamblault is a smallish one dimensional skilled player, he isn't a PK guy, shutdown guy, banger or fighter, so he needs to generate offense. 1.03 PPGM at 19 for such a player is poor production. That's 43rd overall in the QMJHL, not very good. Hudon had a better PPGM at 17 the season before.

Contrary to what I keep hearing we have Pacioretty Bourque Eller Galchenyuk who are all top 9 regulars and all well over 6' and 200lbs. It's not like we have NO size.

Again, on Kristo I'm just speculating. I don't think you can bring Subban in that discussion, his drive and work ethic is off the charts. Probably the most driven player in the organisation. I didn't say it was his attitude...I said it was drive/work ethic...not a guy willing to put in the work to be the best he can be...don't forget, Kristo is already 23 and Thomas is 21 coming off his rookie AHL season. If Kristo had played junior he'd be coming off his 3rd AHL season, but having played an extra year USHL plus 4 years NCAA...

Old
09-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Archamblault sucked balls. Anyone who watched some Q can see that.

Kristo trade is still brutal tho.

Old
09-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Wait...new nets?

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...ifference.html

regular :

new :

Quote:
"You're probably going to notice it a lot on wrap-arounds," said former NHL player Chris Clark, now the Blue Jackets' director of player development. "Those times when the goaltender gets his leg across just in time to cover the other post? Those might be goals now.
"The players haven't seen them yet. The goaltenders haven't played with them yet. But it's going to take some getting used to."
Quote:
It is not a huge change, no. The NHL has said that the goal-mouth opening, as measured from the inside of the pipes, remains the same: 6 feet wide by 4 feet high, or 24 square feet.
But the new shape is certainly more rectangular than before, and it will be interesting to see what happens to pucks that used to ring off the corners of the old nets.

Old
09-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Kristo must have one dandy attitude problem for him to be traded like that. I'm quite sure the Habs made sure that their evaluation was right and in the end something came out of that analysis that negated Kristo's talent and made keeping him a risk.

So they took a chance by trading him maybe but THIS front office has a lot of veteran players in it and they know what a bad attitude or mental disposition can do to a team and in the end they decided against keeping him.

I'm OK with that; this isnt the old administration; Bergevin has some real good people around him and if they decided against keeping Kristo its because they had a very good reason that motivated them to do that, a reason that we the normal people dont know about.

THEY are the experts; we arent. So i wont lose any sleep over this trade.

Old
09-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Kristo must have one dandy attitude problem for him to be traded like that. I'm quite sure the Habs made sure that their evaluation was right and in the end something came out of that analysis that negated Kristo's talent and made keeping him a risk.

So they took a chance by trading him maybe but THIS front office has a lot of veteran players in it and they know what a bad attitude or mental disposition can do to a team and in the end they decided against keeping him.

I'm OK with that; this isnt the old administration; Bergevin has some real good people around him and if they decided against keeping Kristo its because they had a very good reason that motivated them to do that, a reason that we the normal people dont know about.

THEY are the experts; we arent. So i wont lose any sleep over this trade.
Until Kristo is a 50 pt player

Old
09-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
Until Kristo is a 50 pt player
No i dont think it will happen. This group his very experienced and they dont just "give" away players like the older management that offered McDonagh just to sweeten the pot and get Gomez. There HAS to be a real good reason they traded away someone like that, a very good reason they know and decided against keeping him.

Old
09-07-2013, 04:54 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

as of now, Kristo isnt a top 6 NHL forward either.

Old
09-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

There's ONE thing i havent seen mentioned much; Bergevin KNOWS that old front office basically GAVE away a real good defenseman in the Gomez deal. They sent forward Chris Higgins and defensemen Doug Janik and Pavel Valentenko for Gomez. And then, maybe as an afterthought, they added Ryan McDonagh to that bunch.

So i'm very sure that this front office will have made sure that this trade wouldnt come bite them in the keester like the Gomez trade.

Old
09-07-2013, 05:13 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
You're a very witty guy.

If you can't handle differing opinions maybe the internet isn't for you. Don't take it so personally, it's not like Bergevin is letting you wear his letterman jacket or something.

Old
09-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
as of now, Kristo isnt a top 6 NHL forward either.
Not my point. Kristo has more tangibles and intangibles than Thomas. What comes out when we talk about Thomas is his scoring attributes. Well Kristo has that AND has more size, skates better and faster, has underrated passing abilities and has worked immensely on playing a little bit more physical as the years passed by. So in the end, Bergevin traded a better Thomas for a Thomas.....Yes, Kristo has now to prove that he can bring all that in a game situation. But so does Thomas. Just that, Kristo has more things going for him as far as potential than Thomas and again, I do repeat, I like Thomas. Just hope he brings it immensely so that we can counterattack a "possible" steal by the Rangers. Everything still needs to be proven, I know.

Old
09-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
There's ONE thing i havent seen mentioned much; Bergevin KNOWS that old front office basically GAVE away a real good defenseman in the Gomez deal. They sent forward Chris Higgins and defensemen Doug Janik and Pavel Valentenko for Gomez. And then, maybe as an afterthought, they added Ryan McDonagh to that bunch.

So i'm very sure that this front office will have made sure that this trade wouldnt come bite them in the keester like the Gomez trade.
Pretty sure the old management believed they were getting the better part of the Gomez deal when they did it. Just like Burke felt the Kessel trade was actually a good one, and thought his team was much better than it was.

The Kristo trade didn't make much sense to me. There was no need to rush a trade here.

You can have blind faith in the management group, but I'm skeptical. I'd have a little more trust in them if we didn't have a rookie GM.

Old
09-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Pretty sure the old management believed they were getting the better part of the Gomez deal when they did it. Just like Burke felt the Kessel trade was actually a good one, and thought his team was much better than it was.

The Kristo trade didn't make much sense to me. There was no need to rush a trade here.

You can have blind faith in the management group, but I'm skeptical. I'd have a little more trust in them if we didn't have a rookie GM.
I'm already in a skeptical mode. And I think that my biggest problem isn't with having rookie GM....is having all those vets around him that doesn't seem to stop him kaing rookie mistakes....

Old
09-07-2013, 07:44 PM
EveryDay

Whitney to the Blues camp.

http://tvasports.ca/hockey/lnh/whitn...-blues-7092013

Old
09-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Bloumeister
Food Court Jester

Skilly Hal Gill invited to the Flyers' camp:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Old
09-07-2013, 08:17 PM
yianik

Quote:

Sorry friend, knowing that Houle gave away much more in assets than he took in didn't stop Gainey from writing a similar storey line. I don't know if MB has done that on the Kristo trade, time will tell, but the fan base, which has been known to be right on blatant dumb trades, is calling this a Fail from what I can see.

Closed Thread