HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Louis Leblanc with the vets

Old
09-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
I didn't hear anything about him putting on much size. Pleks is pretty solid around 200 pounds. Leblanc looks like he has a much smaller / weaker frame to me, thought he was 1 inch taller 20+ pounds smaller. I guess he may end up being the same size some day, doubt he will be bigger though. Plenty of years have gone by since drafted to put on size and still looks way too skinny.
His physique reminds me more of Ribeiro than Pleks, that's for sure.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Ribeiro makes LeBlanc look like a bodybuilder.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
I didn't hear anything about him putting on much size. Pleks is pretty solid around 200 pounds. Leblanc looks like he has a much smaller / weaker frame to me, thought he was 1 inch taller 20+ pounds smaller. I guess he may end up being the same size some day, doubt he will be bigger though. Plenty of years have gone by since drafted to put on size and still looks way too skinny.
Normal development adds 15-20lbs on guys from the point they are drafted to 21-22. Even more for guys that are 6'3"-6'5". People say he "looks skinny" because of his face, he has a narrow face, not round like Bouillon. I'm sure he's in the 190's.

Old
09-06-2013, 04:17 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
agreed, the first time I ever saw Leblanc the first thought was that he looked a bit like Ribs.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 05:15 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

With Gionta a small question mark, might miss a game or two to start the year, I could see Lebalnc on the 3rd line with Galchenyuk and Eller to start the year.

Someone call LL soft in a page early lol.

LL has the hockey sense and IQ to be a shutdown centre, but he is so good along the boards and winning puck battles that he plays RW instead.

Another year in the AHL will do him some good and with a few call ups IMO.

Not sure what ppl hopes are, but I think he can be a good 3rd RW in the NHL with some score touching. Not sure how he is on faceoffs, but the team lacks good right handed faceoffs guys, being a huge issue for this for years. If he can become a good faceoffs guy even though he'll be playing RW it would be even better.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 05:17 PM
ChoseLa

I hope he pulls a Pacioretty on us. I remember loosing faith on Patch at some point.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
I hope he pulls a Pacioretty on us. I remember loosing faith on Patch at some point.

I agree with that.. I remember not seeing it happening for him.. Glad when I'm wrong in those scenarios

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 05:21 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfsFTW View Post
I'm just talking about the fanbase's expectations for what he's projected to be. Everyone pegs him as bottom 6, PK, some PP, 30 points, 15 goals, etc at the prime of his career. And that's probably exagerated expectations. More like, if he's a + player he'd ba allright for our 4rth line. NO WAY ! Mediocrity ! You want your 4rth liners to bring energy and grit, AND be + playersl.
The problem with your analysis is that you think bottom 6 = 4th line. Nobody thinks Leblanc will be on the 4th line. If he ever makes the Habs or NHL it will be as a 3rd line role where he plays a shutdown role. The Habs haven't had a true shutdown line because Pleks is so good at it, that his line always gets that role. Most teams have a 3rd line that is good defensively and can contribute 20ish points.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Is he really consider a veteran? He now has only 2 professional seasons under his belt. It has been 4 years since his draft year (4th being this year, his 3rd professional year starting).

I can see why rookie training camp is no longer a place for him and he would practice right away with the veterans, but I wouldn't call Louis Leblanc a "veteran".

On another note, he seems to still be listed at 6' 0" at 178 lbs, anyone know when they will weigh the team in? I really hope he comes in north of 185 lbs. (At 6' 178 lbs feels under weight)
Yes, he is a veteran. His experience far exceeds that of the rookies.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 08:40 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I thought max was a 3rd liner at best. Then he went beast mode. I was wayyy off and I'm very happy to admit considering the result!

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 01:14 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfsFTW View Post
I agree with this, but any of those players had shown a lot of potential to the organization and were traded for other assets, and most turned to be bad ones.

LL has shown he can do what exactly ? Not good enough for top 6. Might have a role in a bottom 6. All of the players you mentionned had top 6 F or top 4 D potential in the Habs brass eyes except maybe Grabovski. It fell off in the Habs GM's hands when he decided to accept bad offers.

Just thinking about these moves makes me sick.
Hmmm what as LL shown? I would say no less then Ribeiro at the same age; Listen he does not have a huge frame like Ribeiro, like Briere ( both these guys started to turn the corner 5 years after they where drafted) he needs to get stronger and strength does not magically appear, specially when you are recovering from injurries, last year it was the hankle, the year before it was the showlder. I just hope he stays in shape and has a strong camp, if it happens the rest will follow shortly after....

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 07:15 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
Hmmm what as LL shown? I would say no less then Ribeiro at the same age; Listen he does not have a huge frame like Ribeiro, like Briere ( both these guys started to turn the corner 5 years after they where drafted) he needs to get stronger and strength does not magically appear, specially when you are recovering from injurries, last year it was the hankle, the year before it was the showlder. I just hope he stays in shape and has a strong camp, if it happens the rest will follow shortly after....
Briere and Ribeiro are far more skilled than Leblanc and were far superior players at the AHL level at the same age.

Leblanc also needs to gain more strength than either of these two players had to due to the type of game that he plays.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 07:30 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Leblanc's numbers are Height 6.00 -- Weight 190

He looks more fragile than that to me!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 07:38 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

I remember watching leblanc play with the big club 2 years ago... and he was far from soft. He was light, so his style of play didn't translate to intimidation along the boards... but as a 20 year old on a "soft" team, Leblanc had 68 hits in 42 games.

He gets in the dirty areas willingly and always battles along the boards. The potential to be a 3rd line cycling winger with defensive awareness is still there.

Ghetto Sangria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 08:00 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
I remember watching leblanc play with the big club 2 years ago... and he was far from soft. He was light, so his style of play didn't translate to intimidation along the boards... but as a 20 year old on a "soft" team, Leblanc had 68 hits in 42 games.

He gets in the dirty areas willingly and always battles along the boards. The potential to be a 3rd line cycling winger with defensive awareness is still there.
He is definitely soft. I think people just misuse the term to describe a player who isn't necessarily punishing.

Old
09-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
He is definitely soft. I think people just misuse the term to describe a player who isn't necessarily punishing.
He's definitely not soft. Is he a big bruiser? No, but neither are 95% of NHLers. Is 95% of the NHL soft.

Old
09-07-2013, 10:30 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Habs fans are fickle. Wow.
Why am I fickle for not liking LL that much? He does not play for Habs.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
He's definitely not soft. Is he a big bruiser? No, but neither are 95% of NHLers. Is 95% of the NHL soft.
LOL I meant to say "not soft".

We are in agreement!

Old
09-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
There was no rational reason to ever lose faith in Pacioretty.....he was already in the NHL in his 2nd year after being drafted. he struggled in his 3rd season but for most players this is their first season of professional hockey. From his 4th season on it has been all roses for him and to be honest it has been a pretty typical development curve for a top 6 forward.

Old
09-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
There was no rational reason to ever lose faith in Pacioretty.....he was already in the NHL in his 2nd year after being drafted. he struggled in his 3rd season but for most players this is their first season of professional hockey. From his 4th season on it has been all roses for him and to be honest it has been a pretty typical development curve for a top 6 forward.
He was rushed to the NHL and struggled his second year. Going back to the AHL got him back on track, I think LL needs the exact same thing. Go play top 6 minutes in Hamilton every night, improve his game and gain confidence.

Old
09-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
He was rushed to the NHL and struggled his second year. Going back to the AHL got him back on track, I think LL needs the exact same thing. Go play top 6 minutes in Hamilton every night, improve his game and gain confidence.
The key is that he was simply brought up too early. His development was fine but people here expected this linear rise in development even though the organization put him in a position to fail. It took Pacioretty having to intervene and put himself exactly where any other prospect his age would be outside of the absolutely elite ones.

It would be absolutely reasonable for a player drafted out of the CHL top spend two season there, a full season in the AHL and then win a spot during the 4th season in the NHL. This is exactly how the 4th season ended up and exactly how any reasonable prognosticator would have predicted a successful development to unfold. It speaks to the irrational and fickle behaviour of this fanbase that this process was seen as anything other than favourable despite the meddling of incompetent management..

Old
09-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
I agree that Leblanc's biggest obstacle is between his ears and I hold out hope that he can put it together. I would just hesitate to compare him to compare him to Pacioretty as he is already well behind Paciotetty's growth curve.

I have always seen Leblanc's potential as a good top 9 forward but he really needs to show something this season.

Old
09-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I agree that Leblanc's biggest obstacle is between his ears and I hold out hope that he can put it together. I would just hesitate to compare him to compare him to Pacioretty as he is already well behind Paciotetty's growth curve.

I have always seen Leblanc's potential as a good top 9 forward but he really needs to show something this season.
I think a lot of kids would have the same reaction, it's human nature.

He played in the NHL at 20 and didn't embarass himself, but because of the lock out he went straight to AHL at 21, so the tendancy is a bit of a letdown, I think that may have led to frustration then he got injured, next thing you know he had 10 points in 40 games and didn't get a call for the Habs camp in January. He played a bit better after that but his season was already off the rails.

Old
09-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
I think a lot of kids would have the same reaction, it's human nature.

He played in the NHL at 20 and didn't embarass himself, but because of the lock out he went straight to AHL at 21, so the tendancy is a bit of a letdown, I think that may have led to frustration then he got injured, next thing you know he had 10 points in 40 games and didn't get a call for the Habs camp in January. He played a bit better after that but his season was already off the rails.
There is no doubt that last season was an enormous disappointment for Leblanc and there were some mitigating factors in play. It should be pointed out that most successful people aren't quitters and have loads of self confidence......Leblanc certainly didn't look like a future success by the way in which he handled last season. Hopefully a clean slate will really benefit him and he can build some confidence from which to grow on.

You are right in stating that he is still young but the fact that self confidence doesn't appear to be intrinsic to him is definitely a reason for concern.

Old
09-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
There is no doubt that last season was an enormous disappointment for Leblanc and there were some mitigating factors in play. It should be pointed out that most successful people aren't quitters and have loads of self confidence......Leblanc certainly didn't look like a future success by the way in which he handled last season. Hopefully a clean slate will really benefit him and he can build some confidence from which to grow on.

You are right in stating that he is still young but the fact that self confidence doesn't appear to be intrinsic to him is definitely a reason for concern.
We don't yet know how he will handle last season. The test isn't falling down it's if you get back up. The test of that will be the first 3 months of this year, we'll know by January what direction his career is headed.