HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread Part 3: Eskies 3-9, I ain't even mad now

Closed Thread

Old
09-07-2013, 11:21 AM
AJGass4

vCash: 500
I love your optimism. I've tried but am so disgusted right now.

I maybe am a bit hard on the players because if they don't have good coaching, I guess you can't expect much.

I would love it if our whole staff was released today. Bring in some new people. Too late in the season for this? I don't think so. We aren't winning with the crew on board right now. Show the fans that they are aware of the problem.

Old
09-07-2013, 11:32 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

I wouldn't blame Hervey just yet.

I think this all starts and ends with Kavis. I think the team has tuned him out and and has stopped playing for him.

And here's an interesting bit of info... Last year Kris Sweet was the Riders O-line coach. Their O-line was pretty average.

This year he's not, the Riders have the same personnel on the line and they've been impressive. They're one of the reasons that Kory Sheets is having the season he is. He was let go last season because his style of coaching got tuned out very quickly. Yelling and intimidation is his approach to coaching.

Old
09-07-2013, 11:40 AM
AJGass4

How hard is it for an O'lineman to figure out what he is suppose to do?

We have no leadership on defense right now and it shows.

Old
09-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

The positives:

The sun rised. (well not really)

Good to see Bowman back in action. Sturdy tank, a handful to cover, an imminent danger for yac yds.

The addition of Bowman had an immediate effect on Henrry. Suddenly he was using his size, lumbering up field and used effectively on some plays.

White had his best game as an Eskimo. Look, the guy found lots of creases and small open holes on plays that just as easily could have been no gainers. Yeah, he dropped a pass, we'll get to that later.

Howard is back. Not sure where he was, but he arrived back in town. Not sure who the imposter was wearing #91 the first 8 games. Really theres no comparison between what Howard did yesterday and the rest of the season. He made more plays yesterday than he has all year. Has there been something wrong with this players attitude and approach to the game until yesterday? Yeah, you bet.

So as with Howard the d was good. We limited the Stamps to 5 FG's. The gift TD can't really be considered to be on the D. So this is finally the D we were seeing last year.

The negatives:

We simply have bad players that are bad in every game. Matt Carter makes a bad block on a runback that is clearly getting around the corner without the bad block, and costs us 50yds in that exchange. Matt prancing around punching air on the sidelines like we've seen so often from an inept player getting sand kicked in his face every game. Which leads me of course to his Canadian partner in crime Coehoorn. Congrats Nate. You contributed. -yds impact in the game. You had one catch for 5yds(and not getting to the first down marker) and you had 5 passes thrown your way. You took a major foul penalty, 15 yds for punching a Stamp. With the word punch giving too much credit. Not sure wtf you were thinking. But typical useless, idiot play. Contributed nothing. Nothing new either. 1 career TD people. 2 catches in last 4 GP. Thats it. Doing nothing but occupying a spot on the field. I keep saying it we're playing shorthanded with passengers like this on the field.

Reilly. First time this season I will critique his play but here goes. Calling his own number too often. jebus you got Henry on fire, you got Bowman, White is pounding the ball reasonably, and you're calling your own number a dozen times when Stamps sees 3 passes all game. C'mon. You missed Stamps flat out in the endzone because you were hearing footsteps on every down even when they weren't there. When pressure was there several times you ran right into it. On several throws you can't even call it a throw. On one play you saw blitz for a longtime and didn't throw the ball away. Memo. Throwing the ball away is better than a 15yd loss. tbh I haven't seen you do this once. Apparanently its not manning up enough.. As if you have to eat the pig or something on every play.

White, OK, he had the bad drop. The distinction from the two lackies above is that this is actually a good player. This is quintessentially the type of misfortune that happens in the middle of a losing streak. Players too tense, trying too hard, and making these mistakes. Obviously with Koch same thing. Reasonably good player taking eyes off the ball and it costs us bigtime. But lapses like this being largely due to the pressure felt playing on a losing team.

Next, O Neil. I think this guy could be good. You wouldn't know it from yesterday. But this is a player clearly feeling the pressure the club is under. These 2 misses don't happen when a club is on a roll. They happen now.

Finally, as I'm hinting distinctions need to be made around players that are good players having a bad game and bad players having another bad game. The uncharaceristic mistakes from good players will sort themselves out. You can't really worry about that stuff. So on yesterdays game Reilly, Koch, O Neill, get benefit of doubt.
But weakest links like Carter and Coehoorn don't because we need to get better at those positions. I have some hope though because NI Chambers is looking light years better than those guys and making some plays. We need another good NI receiver in the fold. Really cut the cord on Carter and Coehoorn who are never going to be any good. Can't believe I'm saying this either but McCarty has completely lost the script. Previously this guy was full of fight but he's clearly become one of the pretender passengers. Contributing nothing out there and not fighting. No intensity. This guy is just getting paid.

Old
09-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Stoneman89

Agree with some of what you say Replacement.

- good to see Marcus Howard back in the fold. I too, was wondering where this guy was. Perhaps hiding in HotToddy's basement?
Anyway, he can be a difference maker when he plays like one.

- also good to see Bowman back. Clearly he has 1 1/2 of rust on him, but he'll be fine.

- This was Reilly's worst game I think. I agree, he overdid the running part. Stampeders were ready for it and stuffed it. As usual, he was rushed on many plays and hit hard on many more. I think the loss of Koch hurt more than many think. He and Stamps work really well together.

- I also think that Hugh O'Neill is going to be a player. That makes 2 of us, and I'm sure everyone on here will think we're crazy. He just seems to have the temperment to be a kicker, and I think this will be looked at as just a blip on his resume.

- I wonder if Hervey still thinks the season is not lost, as he stated earlier in the week. I think this confirms it. I can see this team losing next weekend at home to the equally hapless Bombers, believe it or not. The pressure from the media and fans will be ramped up so intensely, that the few fans to show up will be rather merciless.

And speaking of fans, finally, we've now finished up or are close to finishing up the fair weather games. With the season done for all intents and purposes, the Oilers about to start camp and tease us, the weather declining, and less impressive teams on the schedule, I wonder what the crowds will be to finish up the death march. That should be the big slap in the face to Len Rhodes, who tried to up his Vanilla Ice debacle of last year by bringing in Gord Bamford of all people. Good God. Is Chaka Kahn not available?

Old
09-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The positives:

Good to see Bowman back in action. Sturdy tank, a handful to cover, an imminent danger for yac yds.

The addition of Bowman had an immediate effect on Henrry. Suddenly he was using his size, lumbering up field and used effectively on some plays.

White had his best game as an Eskimo. Look, the guy found lots of creases and small open holes on plays that just as easily could have been no gainers. Yeah, he dropped a pass, we'll get to that later.

Howard is back. Not sure where he was, but he arrived back in town. Not sure who the imposter was wearing #91 the first 8 games. Really theres no comparison between what Howard did yesterday and the rest of the season. He made more plays yesterday than he has all year. Has there been something wrong with this players attitude and approach to the game until yesterday? Yeah, you bet.

So as with Howard the d was good. We limited the Stamps to 5 FG's. The gift TD can't really be considered to be on the D. So this is finally the D we were seeing last year.

The negatives:

We simply have bad players that are bad in every game. Matt Carter makes a bad block on a runback that is clearly getting around the corner without the bad block, and costs us 50yds in that exchange. Matt prancing around punching air on the sidelines like we've seen so often from an inept player getting sand kicked in his face every game. Which leads me of course to his Canadian partner in crime Coehoorn. Congrats Nate. You contributed. -yds impact in the game. You had one catch for 5yds(and not getting to the first down marker) and you had 5 passes thrown your way. You took a major foul penalty, 15 yds for punching a Stamp. With the word punch giving too much credit. Not sure wtf you were thinking. But typical useless, idiot play. Contributed nothing. Nothing new either. 1 career TD people. 2 catches in last 4 GP. Thats it. Doing nothing but occupying a spot on the field. I keep saying it we're playing shorthanded with passengers like this on the field.

Reilly. First time this season I will critique his play but here goes. Calling his own number too often. jebus you got Henry on fire, you got Bowman, White is pounding the ball reasonably, and you're calling your own number a dozen times when Stamps sees 3 passes all game. C'mon. You missed Stamps flat out in the endzone because you were hearing footsteps on every down even when they weren't there. When pressure was there several times you ran right into it. On several throws you can't even call it a throw. On one play you saw blitz for a longtime and didn't throw the ball away. Memo. Throwing the ball away is better than a 15yd loss. tbh I haven't seen you do this once. Apparanently its not manning up enough.. As if you have to eat the pig or something on every play.

White, OK, he had the bad drop. The distinction from the two lackies above is that this is actually a good player. This is quintessentially the type of misfortune that happens in the middle of a losing streak. Players too tense, trying too hard, and making these mistakes. Obviously with Koch same thing. Reasonably good player taking eyes off the ball and it costs us bigtime. But lapses like this being largely due to the pressure felt playing on a losing team.

Next, O Neil. I think this guy could be good. You wouldn't know it from yesterday. But this is a player clearly feeling the pressure the club is under. These 2 misses don't happen when a club is on a roll. They happen now.

Finally, as I'm hinting distinctions need to be made around players that are good players having a bad game and bad players having another bad game. The uncharaceristic mistakes from good players will sort themselves out. You can't really worry about that stuff. So on yesterdays game Reilly, Koch, O Neill, get benefit of doubt.
But weakest links like Carter and Coehoorn don't because we need to get better at those positions. I have some hope though because NI Chambers is looking light years better than those guys and making some plays. We need another good NI receiver in the fold. Really cut the cord on Carter and Coehoorn who are never going to be any good. Can't believe I'm saying this either but McCarty has completely lost the script. Previously this guy was full of fight but he's clearly become one of the pretender passengers. Contributing nothing out there and not fighting. No intensity. This guy is just getting paid.
Hard to blame him for having happy feet, that OL line is horrendous. Got a kick out of the OL coach's reaction (TSN had some great shots) every time Reilly got sacked, the guy was losing his mind. If Reilly had more time to read the play I truely believe he would start to hit the open man more often. There is alot to like about Reilly.

Old
09-07-2013, 12:31 PM
abootzky

Quote:

Agreed- mostly. I prefer Coehoorn to Chambers because I see more fight in him. Both are light years ahead of Carter however. NI talent takes longer to develop which is why I think they need to begin by getting rid of the weakest of their imports: Hill, Young, White, the returner who didn't realize he needed to pick up the ball, the o-linemen, etc.. NFL cuts have been freshly made, so start from there. It's worked before.

Old
09-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Ha clearly Coehoorn is a big reason the esks are losing. The number 5/6 receiver has to be better!

Old
09-07-2013, 02:38 PM
rosemount289

One More Negative............?

Quote:
The positives:

The negatives:

# 15 is still playing first string.............he cannot cover, he cannot tackle......the only positive is that birth certificate............says that he is a non-import..............!

Old
09-07-2013, 02:48 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
The positives:

The negatives:

Unfortunately White is a terrible blocker. He is a noticeable liability in the backfield when he doesn't get the ball. He needs to fix that part of his game or he will be virtually useless addition.

Also...I have no idea why you are so fixated on Coehoorn. To be honest its starting to sound a lot like your ridiculous Ray posts the only difference being that Coehoorn is still growing as a player.
Why you bother to spend so much time on a developing #5 receiver is baffling. He isnt even on the radar in terms of this teams issues.

Here is how I see the issues for this team....

#1 issue: Canadian O-line talent
- Hervey is directly responsible for this
#2 issue: Len Rhodes
#3 issue: Head coach
#4 issue: Defenisve co-ordinator
#5 issue: Offensive co-ordinator
#6 issue: GM

This team is rotten from the top down and outside of the O-line player acquisitions are not the issue IMO.

Old
09-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

I predicted they would go 6-12 at beginning of the season . Major fail on my part.

Old
09-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Agreed- mostly. I prefer Coehoorn to Chambers because I see more fight in him. Both are light years ahead of Carter however. NI talent takes longer to develop which is why I think they need to begin by getting rid of the weakest of their imports: Hill, Young, White, the returner who didn't realize he needed to pick up the ball, the o-linemen, etc.. NFL cuts have been freshly made, so start from there. It's worked before.
No, night and day difference.

Chambers will quickly leave Coehoorn in the dust.

I'll tell you the reason. Coehoorn at this point is phony tough. I don't call that fight, I call it pretend tbh.

He's the guy that thought he was big man in highschool that didn't have to train all that hard to be strong to that point. What you get with guys like that sometimes is they don't hit the gym as hard. I've seen this guy train. Lets just say he's not all that good on the weights. Number one problem? Pencil legs. point blank.
Watch him try to push off on somebody or gain an edge. I don't know that I've seen him break tackle once all year. The guy generates basically zero strength off his legs. Defenders, anybody, push him back for fun. Its half the reason he's so easy to cover, so easy to contain.

I've quite honestly seen females in the gym with better developed lower body than Nate Coehoorn. He's not alone though. I see guys all the time in the gym with upper builds and pencil legs. They look like a tree thats going to fall over in a stiff wind. Not that Nate has too much of an upper body build either.

Chambers is a well developed athlete that is faster, stronger, harder than Coehoorn and its not even close.

I keep hearing that Coehoorn works hard. Man, I can't see it. He always looks like he's tryiing hard, but the guy generates zero strength out there, zero push. Any DB in the league just owns him physically.

Last edited by Replacement: 09-07-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old
09-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Unfortunately White is a terrible blocker. He is a noticeable liability in the backfield when he doesn't get the ball. He needs to fix that part of his game or he will be virtually useless addition.
Oh, agreed with this. White is a horrible blocker. The one concern I have with this guy is he's a football RB that doesn't appear to like contact all that much. If this guy had any junkyard dog in him he'd be damn fine. Not sure if you noticed it but one play where he ran for 10yds he basically stopped up instead of playing through the hit. He froze in his tracks instead of laying into the D. Most RB's even guys that are not power backs with some speed are going to try to push the guy back a couple yds. White stopped up short and went down. You'd think he was the QB lol. Guys were throwing him around when he's trying to block as well. He's a smurf.

Quote:
Also...I have no idea why you are so fixated on Coehoorn. To be honest its starting to sound a lot like your ridiculous Ray posts the only difference being that Coehoorn is still growing as a player.
Why you bother to spend so much time on a developing #5 receiver is baffling. He isnt even on the radar in terms of this teams issues.
Because this club for some reason has such a high opinion of him and puts him on the field ALL THE TIME. Just because this is football with several men on the field doesn't mean theres no impact when you have a guy out there like Coehoorn that can't do anything. Like I've said all along this is club is essentially shorthanded with Nate out there. Hell, you may as well have one less receiver and put one more guy on the line.

If Nate wasn't in one every play I wouldn't be talking about him so much.

Quote:
#1 issue: Canadian O-line talent
- Hervey is directly responsible for this
I have some hope this might turnaround.
Quote:
#2 issue: Len Rhodes
#3 issue: Head coach
#4 issue: Defenisve co-ordinator
#5 issue: Offensive co-ordinator
#6 issue: GM
As far as Hervey I dunno if its too early. Haven't liked some of his moves and didn't want him as GM in the first place but oddly enough I'm not prepared to rule him out this early. He recognizes good football talent for the most part, and cares a lot about the club and his role. In fairness he inherited a mess and is in this position among idiots.

Quote:
This team is rotten from the top down and outside of the O-line player acquisitions are not the issue IMO.
We're weak in NI period. Team hasn't drafted all that well.
Chambers I would say is the best Canadian we got.

Old
09-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Hard to blame him for having happy feet, that OL line is horrendous. Got a kick out of the OL coach's reaction (TSN had some great shots) every time Reilly got sacked, the guy was losing his mind. If Reilly had more time to read the play I truely believe he would start to hit the open man more often. There is alot to like about Reilly.
Oh yeah, I know. I'm a big Reilly fan. But he had an off game. I just knew it too when from the second play from scrimmage that he got sacked it was going to have an impact. |With a lot of QB's if you get him early it gets in their head. It of course being before he was able to get a feel and rhythm out there. People underestimate how many pro starts it takes for a QB to start feeling it consistently and be comfortable. Reilly, we've seen how good he is when he gets on a roll. But in another game, with seeing pressure from the outset it got in his head. Thing is there were ample times last night where he had a lot of time. But he was already off his game.

It'll come with time. I'd like to see this guy retire here. Theres a Grey Cup in this guy.

Old
09-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Agree with some of what you say Replacement.

- good to see Marcus Howard back in the fold. I too, was wondering where this guy was. Perhaps hiding in HotToddy's basement?
Anyway, he can be a difference maker when he plays like one.

- also good to see Bowman back. Clearly he has 1 1/2 of rust on him, but he'll be fine.

- This was Reilly's worst game I think. I agree, he overdid the running part. Stampeders were ready for it and stuffed it. As usual, he was rushed on many plays and hit hard on many more. I think the loss of Koch hurt more than many think. He and Stamps work really well together.

- I also think that Hugh O'Neill is going to be a player. That makes 2 of us, and I'm sure everyone on here will think we're crazy. He just seems to have the temperment to be a kicker, and I think this will be looked at as just a blip on his resume.

- I wonder if Hervey still thinks the season is not lost, as he stated earlier in the week. I think this confirms it. I can see this team losing next weekend at home to the equally hapless Bombers, believe it or not. The pressure from the media and fans will be ramped up so intensely, that the few fans to show up will be rather merciless.

And speaking of fans, finally, we've now finished up or are close to finishing up the fair weather games. With the season done for all intents and purposes, the Oilers about to start camp and tease us, the weather declining, and less impressive teams on the schedule, I wonder what the crowds will be to finish up the death march. That should be the big slap in the face to Len Rhodes, who tried to up his Vanilla Ice debacle of last year by bringing in Gord Bamford of all people. Good God. Is Chaka Kahn not available?
It was great seeing Bowman back. Man, last time we saw him the team was having some fortune.
lol re: Marcus Howard. yeah, where has this guy been. Yesterday was Marcus Howard. Every other game was a shadow. I really don't know what Hot Toddy was looking at there tbh. I remember comments that Howard couldn't do much off the position the Esks were using him. Dunno. He was getting off with a push I haven't seen all year. He was aggressive from most every snap. I would think somebody had a long talk with him.

Old
09-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Ha clearly Coehoorn is a big reason the esks are losing. The number 5/6 receiver has to be better!
One of the problems is he is a 5/6 receiver that was highly touted and we wasted a big pick on him. He's become a big load of nothing years into his career. Which is looking like almost over (hopefully)

I remember all the comments this was Jason Clermont in the making. Hell even Coehoorn saying this is the type of receiver he is. lol.

Coehoorn is 27, Clermont was a star in the league and had 25TD's by the time he was Coehoorns age and playing in a deeper receiver lineup where he had to be good on every down to get his reps. Which he made the most of for years. Guess how many career TD's Coehoorn has.

People don't like to look at it but Coehoorn is an outright bust. Carter is unbelievably bad, it takes effort to even talk about Carter.

Old
09-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Dave Campbell is busy on Twitter defending a coach who is 3-17 over his last 20 games. Unbelievable.

Old
09-07-2013, 04:46 PM
AJGass4

How do you defend him?

Old
09-07-2013, 04:53 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
How do you defend him?
Well, he's doing more defending than the Eskimos have all season.

Old
09-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Oh yeah, I know. I'm a big Reilly fan. But he had an off game. I just knew it too when from the second play from scrimmage that he got sacked it was going to have an impact. |With a lot of QB's if you get him early it gets in their head. It of course being before he was able to get a feel and rhythm out there. People underestimate how many pro starts it takes for a QB to start feeling it consistently and be comfortable. Reilly, we've seen how good he is when he gets on a roll. But in another game, with seeing pressure from the outset it got in his head. Thing is there were ample times last night where he had a lot of time. But he was already off his game.

It'll come with time. I'd like to see this guy retire here. Theres a Grey Cup in this guy.
Good points, hopefully we don't wait too long for that cup. I'd settle for a .500 team right now. Something feels broken with this franchise right now and I don't really know who I should blame...the players don't execute on a regular basis but ultimately that is on the coaches, and for that matter do we have the right players and/or coaches.

Old
09-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
How do you defend him?
These spin-doctor types can always find ways to buy time. Then, if the Eskimos pull off a couple of wins against the Bombers they can say, 'See, we've got this thing turned around and everything is fine the way it is.'

Personally I think both Hervey and Reed are in over their heads. Time to bring in somebody like LaPolice and move on.

Old
09-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Good points, hopefully we don't wait too long for that cup. I'd settle for a .500 team right now. Something feels broken with this franchise right now and I don't really know who I should blame...the players don't execute on a regular basis but ultimately that is on the coaches, and for that matter do we have the right players and/or coaches.
Theres a fine line in sports between believing in yourself and not. One gets the feeling if this club ever could win a game they would win a few in a row. Or more.

Its a horrible funk which as I stated several posts back makes even good players look not so good. The pressure gets in peoples head and they overperform, drop balls, jump plays, lose contain.

With Calgary its night and day. Didn't have to do much, just limit mistakes (which they made several anyway) and do enough to Win. It was a strange game and the result having more to do with momentum than anything.

Heres the deal. On a good confident club Paredes kicked 5 in a row and never even looked like missing. On the other hand O Neill, who is just as good flat out misses 2 because he has the pressure of playing on a club that can't afford to make mistakes.

It gets in your head when you are part of a team facing this kind of nosedive.

The cure is to blow a club right out of the ballpark. A game that you win by 3 or 4 TD's. Thats the type of game this team needs. When every player up and down the lineup is flying around making plays and playing agressive. When you're in a losing streak a whole lot of tentative creeps into the play.

I'll say this, theres nothing wrong with Sams as offensive coordinator. He's devised schemes that are working virtually all the time. The execution hasn't been there.

Old
09-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Theres a fine line in sports between believing in yourself and not. One gets the feeling if this club ever could win a game they would win a few in a row. Or more.

Its a horrible funk which as I stated several posts back makes even good players look not so good. The pressure gets in peoples head and they overperform, drop balls, jump plays, lose contain.

With Calgary its night and day. Didn't have to do much, just limit mistakes (which they made several anyway) and do enough to Win. It was a strange game and the result having more to do with momentum than anything.

Heres the deal. On a good confident club Paredes kicked 5 in a row and never even looked like missing. On the other hand O Neill, who is just as good flat out misses 2 because he has the pressure of playing on a club that can't afford to make mistakes.

It gets in your head when you are part of a team facing this kind of nosedive.

The cure is to blow a club right out of the ballpark. A game that you win by 3 or 4 TD's. Thats the type of game this team needs. When every player up and down the lineup is flying around making plays and playing agressive. When you're in a losing streak a whole lot of tentative creeps into the play.

I'll say this, theres nothing wrong with Sams as offensive coordinator. He's devised schemes that are working virtually all the time. The execution hasn't been there.
You've got to be kidding. How many times last night did we throw a 3-yard pass on 2nd and 10? A holdover from the Maciocia playbook.

Sams did one thing right last night, which was try to establish the run. Our O-line is so bad that they can't even open holes for off-tackle runs, so we were forced to overuse mis-direction counters, which worked early but got snuffed out repeatedly after the Stamps adjusted.

With Bowman back in the lineup and the way Henry has been playing, this team should have been running underneath crossing routes and quick hitters into the slot. I saw very few. Far too many deep patters, which are entirely useless when your QB gets one steamboat before he's under siege. Henry and Bowman are both possession receivers, and Bowman is a great downfield blocker. We didn't utilize their abilities nearly enough.

As for wondering why Coehoorn is constantly on the field, I suspect the answer is having three imports on the O-line. I don't know exactly how the import rules work with subbing in different offensive packages in the middle of the game, but given that Coehoorn and Chambers were both out there on pretty much every play, I assume it was out of necessity due to Rottier being replaced with an American.

Old
09-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
You've got to be kidding. How many times last night did we throw a 3-yard pass on 2nd and 10? A holdover from the Maciocia playbook.

Sams did one thing right last night, which was try to establish the run. Our O-line is so bad that they can't even open holes for off-tackle runs, so we were forced to overuse mis-direction counters, which worked early but got snuffed out repeatedly after the Stamps adjusted.

With Bowman back in the lineup and the way Henry has been playing, this team should have been running underneath crossing routes and quick hitters into the slot. I saw very few. Far too many deep patters, which are entirely useless when your QB gets one steamboat before he's under siege. Henry and Bowman are both possession receivers, and Bowman is a great downfield blocker. We didn't utilize their abilities nearly enough.

As for wondering why Coehoorn is constantly on the field, I suspect the answer is having three imports on the O-line. I don't know exactly how the import rules work with subbing in different offensive packages in the middle of the game, but given that Coehoorn and Chambers were both out there on pretty much every play, I assume it was out of necessity due to Rottier being replaced with an American.
If the D played all season like it did last night, and Howard played all season like last night we'd have half a dozen wins.

The offense hasn't been the problem on this club. Nor have the schemes. Last night execution was a major problem. Really a bad game from Reilly who missthrew more passes than he delivered. Between that and him calling his own number repeatedly was kinda brutal. One could almost see Reilly trying to do it all on his own which is not how it works in team sports. Half the reason Stamps, Bowman, Henry weren't used ideally is the amount of times Reilly decided to run with it or run right into sacks.

Reilly never got into any kind of rhythm last night. Was plain lousy at his reads as well. Eskimos have two more TD's last night if he was looking at Fred Stamps much.

Sometimes the team needs to throw Crompton in for a couple of drives to get Reilly calmed down. I really think he gets hyped up a little too much and on some drives its like he's the QB. RB, and whole offense. Which is not a proper use of his offensive unit.

Old
09-08-2013, 04:08 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
If the D played all season like it did last night, and Howard played all season like last night we'd have half a dozen wins.

The offense hasn't been the problem on this club. Nor have the schemes. Last night execution was a major problem. Really a bad game from Reilly who missthrew more passes than he delivered. Between that and him calling his own number repeatedly was kinda brutal. One could almost see Reilly trying to do it all on his own which is not how it works in team sports. Half the reason Stamps, Bowman, Henry weren't used ideally is the amount of times Reilly decided to run with it or run right into sacks.

Reilly never got into any kind of rhythm last night. Was plain lousy at his reads as well. Eskimos have two more TD's last night if he was looking at Fred Stamps much.

Sometimes the team needs to throw Crompton in for a couple of drives to get Reilly calmed down. I really think he gets hyped up a little too much and on some drives its like he's the QB. RB, and whole offense. Which is not a proper use of his offensive unit.
The offense scored 12 points last night, it was a big problem. It scored 8 points through 53 minutes of football the previous game. The fact that we've exploded late in the 4th quarter of numerous games has masked how bad the offense has typically been in the first 3 quarters of most football games. And by the sounds of it, those big fourth quarters started occurring when Reilly started calling more of his own plays.

We haven't run the ball enough in pretty much every game up until last night. 3rd down gambles and red zone performance has been an absolute gong show, though in fairness to Sams, the infamous "Joseph option sweep" play is probably a Kavis creation.

Playcalling has improved from where it was in July, I'll give credit there. But not to the point where Sams gets a pass. Why any receivers are running routes that don't take them past the first down marker on 2nd down, I'll never know. The fact that those receivers are the primary in some cases is Maciocia-ism at its finest. Execution was poor last night, part of the problem being that our receivers were seldom open on the long-developing plays that were constantly being sent it. We were constantly looking 30 yards downfield, or two yards across the flat. Henry and Bowman should feast on 6-12 yard routes, but that was rarely the play call.

How many screens or draws have we seen this year in an effort to back off the blitz? Pretty much none. Lots of shotgun handoffs to stationary backs though. Those always work great. The coaching staff has clearly not learned a thing from the Montreal debacle, since we were still using shotgun handoffs on 2nd and short last night. I don't even remember seeing any sneaks this year on 2nd and 3rd and short. Who the hell does anything but a sneak in those situations? Nobody except the Eskimos, who are apparently smarter than everyone else.

Closed Thread