HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Michael McCarron Thread - Part II : Bigger, Stronger and Meaner

Closed Thread

Old
09-07-2013, 04:58 AM
Estimated_Prophet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
http://www.985sports.ca/hockey/nouve...ic-264405.html

McCarron wants to face Lucic in pre-season, i hope Therrien doesn't put him on the ice or at least someone in the org should tell him he's gonna get killed.
He didn't say that he wants to fight him. Lucic is his favourite player and he is anticipating playing against him as any other kid would in facing their idol for the first time.

Old
09-07-2013, 06:12 AM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
haha this obsession with lucic is seriously disturbing. were some of you beat up in high school so now you need to vicariously live through somebody who may or may never be able to beat looch?
Hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa wow.

Old
09-07-2013, 06:23 AM
Ice Poutine
I like thoup-Lindros

Maybe McCarron and Lucic could meet afterwards, you know over coffee. They could talk about drapes with floral patterns, wich color paint should go on a wall, what color of rugs he should get and other decorating stuff. Really important stuff a rookie should know.. I'm sure Lucic would like that.

Old
09-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
What did he give them? Read the article!
Following the draft interview he gave, he had to come back to "I,m not going to fight him. My goal isn't to fight Lucic but to make my place in the NHL etc...Yesterday, as small as it is, "I,m going to prepare myself" is still giving way too much importance to Lucic and the fighting aspect. You have to prepare yourself no matter who you are playing.

We know that the medias are stupid enough, they won't stop with that Lucic obsession. Habs organization needs to go to Big Mac and give him a way to stop that madness. He's NOT going to fight Lucic. And we're certainly NOT going to give more attention to Boston than any other freakin team. We are not after the moral victories here. This is not what this team is about.

Old
09-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Following the draft interview he gave, he had to come back to "I,m not going to fight him. My goal isn't to fight Lucic but to make my place in the NHL etc...Yesterday, as small as it is, "I,m going to prepare myself" is still giving way too much importance to Lucic and the fighting aspect. You have to prepare yourself no matter who you are playing.

We know that the medias are stupid enough, they won't stop with that Lucic obsession. Habs organization needs to go to Big Mac and give him a way to stop that madness. He's NOT going to fight Lucic. And we're certainly NOT going to give more attention to Boston than any other freakin team. We are not after the moral victories here. This is not what this team is about.
Not sure where this obsession comes from, it's not like he's been a Habs killer. Other than beating up Komisarek and screwing the Leafs in the process, he hasn't done much to beat us. If anything Thomas Krejci and Horton have been the Hab killers.

Old
09-07-2013, 09:16 AM
samsquanch9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Not sure where this obsession comes from, it's not like he's been a Habs killer. Other than beating up Komisarek and screwing the Leafs in the process, he hasn't done much to beat us. If anything Thomas Krejci and Horton have been the Hab killers.
Its because we all secretly love him and want him on our team more than anything

Old
09-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:

WS - he's saying those things about Lucic because reporters are constantly asking him about it... I personally like the fact that he's not afraid to be candid. I'd rather he be confident than apprehensive if he's going to be an NHL power forward.

How do you know he will never fight Lucic? I suspect that at some point he will...he'll be just the type of player Lucic likes to challenge (fighters he figures he can beat, especially an american greenhorn), and Mac is going to want to prove himself if Lucic challenges him. I know you keep trying to downplay the potential matchup, but like it or not intimidation and momentum are still large parts of pro hockey - fights aren't about to stop anytime soon.

Lucic is usually matched up against non heavyweights as they are rarely on other team's top lines. If all goes as projected, Mac will be playing a top-6 role as well some day...and since he's a right winger and Lucic is a left winger...they are going to be on the same wing when out against each other....I'd say the odds are quite high that they will fight in the future.

BTW - not everyone in the media is stupid..there are justifications for him being compared to Lucic..for whatever reasons these comparisons bother you. My suggestion is that you accept the reality of it as it's not about to abate.

Old
09-07-2013, 09:36 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
Prust is a little more important to take off the ice with him than Parros. I could see Lucic fighting Murray but I doubt he would waste his time with someone who is 100% enforcer and nothing else. Lucic is a top 6 player who just happens to be a good fighter, I don't blame him for "picking his spots", he's not just some goon who has to fight other goons.
Lucic does not fight Parros unless it is in Boston and Parros takes the extra two by jumping him. Remember, Bruins don't turtle...their fans would all commit mass suicide if he did.
Problem is that it would open the door for a donnybrook. Not sure the Habs are equipped to go there yet.

Old
09-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsquanch9 View Post
Its because we all secretly love him and want him on our team more than anything
Of course you love Lucic.......it is a Samsquanch thing

Old
09-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
WS - he's saying those things about Lucic because reporters are constantly asking him about it... I personally like the fact that he's not afraid to be candid. I'd rather he be confident than apprehensive if he's going to be an NHL power forward.

How do you know he will never fight Lucic? I suspect that at some point he will...he'll be just the type of player Lucic likes to challenge (fighters he figures he can beat, especially an american greenhorn), and Mac is going to want to prove himself if Lucic challenges him. I know you keep trying to downplay the potential matchup, but like it or not intimidation and momentum are still large parts of pro hockey - fights aren't about to stop anytime soon.

Lucic is usually matched up against non heavyweights as they are rarely on other team's top lines. If all goes as projected, Mac will be playing a top-6 role as well some day...and since he's a right winger and Lucic is a left winger...they are going to be on the same wing when out against each other....I'd say the odds are quite high that they will fight in the future.

BTW - not everyone in the media is stupid..there are justifications for him being compared to Lucic..for whatever reasons these comparisons bother you. My suggestion is that you accept the reality of it as it's not about to abate.
The medias expect him to take care of Lucic in preseason which makes absolutely no sense. I did mention that I don't mind seeing Mac taking him in 2-3 years down the road WHEN he's ready but he's not ready now. So I'm talking about the immediate present....I don't want Big Mac to be near a Bruin. And yes, medias goes to him 'cause Big Mac and his inexperience gave them such good quotes on his draft day. So our medias continues on the topic. That's like the medias not talking to Markov at all.....until they had those quotes about Markov "bashing" Subban and then all of a sudden, medias were all over Markov until that episode was done and then funnily enough...nobody talks to Markov anymore.

The comparisons about Lucic for me, as of now, are not correct. Only comparisons that exist is because they are big and play a power forward game. But somehow, seems also that the conception was that Big Mac was already a big fighter just like Lucic is. Which we do know isn't true. Tough to judge....but we all know that even at his junior age, Lucic would have destroyed the guy McCarron faced last week. Big Mac has things to learn as far as fighting is concerned. Lucic came in the CHL already knowing all those things.

We'll see if Big Mac progresses in his fighting throughout the year but it will be tough matching Lucic performances in the CHL even if Lucic didn't win all those fights. To me, a Lucic comparisons means a great player with great fighting abilities....we can't say Big Mac is there yet. Might come to this...but clearly not to take Lucic in a fight during preseason don't you think?

Old
09-07-2013, 11:02 AM
aresknights

I don't want to see it and really think its overblown.

Old
09-07-2013, 11:16 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Remember how in the predraft thread I was saying that McCarron isn't a great fighter, and I basically came under attack? Good times.

Old
09-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Until Krejci was beated in a fight against Cammalleri? And then Pouliot one punched KO'ed Krejci in anotehr game?

Old
09-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Issacar

Quote:
The medias expect him to take care of Lucic in preseason which makes absolutely no sense. I did mention that I don't mind seeing Mac taking him in 2-3 years down the road WHEN he's ready but he's not ready now. So I'm talking about the immediate present....I don't want Big Mac to be near a Bruin. And yes, medias goes to him 'cause Big Mac and his inexperience gave them such good quotes on his draft day. So our medias continues on the topic. That's like the medias not talking to Markov at all.....until they had those quotes about Markov "bashing" Subban and then all of a sudden, medias were all over Markov until that episode was done and then funnily enough...nobody talks to Markov anymore.

The comparisons about Lucic for me, as of now, are not correct. Only comparisons that exist is because they are big and play a power forward game. But somehow, seems also that the conception was that Big Mac was already a big fighter just like Lucic is. Which we do know isn't true. Tough to judge....but we all know that even at his junior age, Lucic would have destroyed the guy McCarron faced last week. Big Mac has things to learn as far as fighting is concerned. Lucic came in the CHL already knowing all those things.

We'll see if Big Mac progresses in his fighting throughout the year but it will be tough matching Lucic performances in the CHL even if Lucic didn't win all those fights. To me, a Lucic comparisons means a great player with great fighting abilities....we can't say Big Mac is there yet. Might come to this...but clearly not to take Lucic in a fight during preseason don't you think?
Lucic didn't had the scary reputation he enjoys now back in junior either.... Not disagreeing with what you are saying overall... But you are making Lucic a bigger deal then he is.

Old
09-07-2013, 11:23 AM
EveryDay

Who would you rather have instead of McCarron at the draft at forward position?

Hartman
Klimchuk
Dickinson
Erne
Petan
Compher
Zykov
Dauphin

Old
09-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post

Hartman
Klimchuk
Dickinson
Erne
Petan
Compher
Zykov
Dauphin
For real, none of them.

But I feel like playing the game, so I will say Zykov. Really impressed me at WHCJ.

Old
09-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Andy

So is there ever gonna be talk about McCarron's hockey ability outside of fighting?

Old
09-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
So is there ever gonna be talk about McCarron's hockey ability outside of fighting?
I don't have any real material to talk about his abilities outside of fighting. Not much news coming from the training camp so far.

Old
09-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post

Hartman
Klimchuk
Dickinson
Erne
Petan
Compher
Zykov
Dauphin
I'm still choked we didn't draft Justin Bailey.

But in this list..... Likely no one. None of these players have the stand out/dominant skills or abilities to match McCarron's dominant size and overall package.

Old
09-07-2013, 11:35 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Tried that pages ago lol

Old
09-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I'm still choked we didn't draft Justin Bailey.

But in this list..... Likely no one. None of these players have the stand out/dominant skills or abilities to match McCarron's dominant size and overall package.
Zykov and Hartman are far more skilled then McCarron ever will.

Old
09-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issacar View Post
Zykov and Hartman are far more skilled then McCarron ever will.
Sorry, I wrote it weird. Zykov and Hartman are undoubtedly more skilled than McCarron. What I'm trying to say is that McCarron has an easily apparent dominant ability (size) whereas none of the players on that list could be said to be dominant with their skill, skating, or size.

Old
09-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Issacar

My appreciation goes along the line of Zykov will be dominant with his skill set while Hartman will be dominant with his high tempo game.

However, McCarron answers a screaming need for the Habs that the others obviously don't. So I agree with you that I wouldn't draft the others over him.

Old
09-07-2013, 12:02 PM
samsquanch9*

One of londons scouts, lionel inglewood (trains guys to be hockey fighters, trained shawn thornton) says that mccarron isnt very tough from what hes seen and he didnt sound very high on him. i met him at the ontario U17 camp and talked about it for a bit. i doubt mccarron will ever be a heavyweight fighter but hopefully he becomes a bug power forward

Old
09-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsquanch9 View Post
One of londons scouts, lionel inglewood (trains guys to be hockey fighters, trained shawn thornton) says that mccarron isnt very tough from what hes seen and he didnt sound very high on him. i met him at the ontario U17 camp and talked about it for a bit. i doubt mccarron will ever be a heavyweight fighter but hopefully he becomes a bug power forward
Isn't very tough if you compare him to a 28 year old man who is physically mature? Or he isn't very tough for his age? I can name a few players who weren't tough in junior but became tough after they started playing pro too...

Closed Thread