HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Numero Siete

Closed Thread

Old
09-05-2013, 02:05 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
The same could be said for DeMelo. I see some scouts/people talk about his size and physical game being below average but that's not what I've seen at all.

I think some people (including me) saw what Doherty did when he played with the Fronts and hope at some point he can put it all together in the pros and be that player again. But ya, 'elite physical game' is not something that should be used when talking about Doherty, I'm not even sure calling his physical game average is accurate.
The word people should be looking for is "invisible"...

Old
09-05-2013, 02:59 PM
do0glas

so that youngstars link right now lets you watch the games from the last tournament.

1. i can see why sgarbossa got a deal, he looked legit. Great skater, great hands, scoring touch. had a sneaky ability to slip into the slot for scoring chances. i can see why people were upset we got rid of him.

2. doherty was definitely invisible. couldnt really rush the puck very well, defended his crease like a pansy, was disconcerting given his size. he showed some ability to break up plays along the boards, but needed support in order to finish it off.

3. abeltshauser looks like the real deal. love his vision and skating. didnt see too much of a shot out of him from the blue line, but he was good at driving the play. (i also didnt watch every game)

4. hamilton looks like the perfect third line center. was making awesome defensive plays every time i saw him and has good wheels on him. offensive zone stuff was lacking, but his neutral zone play was miles better than those around him.

Ill watch more later, buffering was horrendous and i cant make it full screen. There was a lack of good decision making outside of sgarbossa, hamilton, and abeltshauser. I was left thinking doherty was largely unremarkeable in pretty much every facet. he honestly reminded me a lot of doug murray but without hitting anyone...ever. he lacked any real ability to generate offense from breakouts, and would rarely try to skate into the zone with the puck...lots of halfline slappers and dumps.

granted this was in 2011...so not sure whats changed with these guys. this was my first time ever seeing any of them, so the above are some very raw observations.

Old
09-07-2013, 11:27 AM
stalockrox

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone but to see it from McKenzie (instead of me) should make KirbyDots happy:

Quote:
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Forwards Matt Nieto and Tomas Hertl are two SJ prospects who will get a long look at Sharks' main camp to secure an NHL job this season.
I still think they'd both be better off spending time in Worcester, especially Nieto, but it would be awesome if they both earned a spot out of camp.

Old
09-07-2013, 01:11 PM
do0glas

definitely good to know

does that mean they will feature in pre-season games?

Old
09-07-2013, 02:16 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone but to see it from McKenzie (instead of me) should make KirbyDots happy:

I still think they'd both be better off spending time in Worcester, especially Nieto, but it would be awesome if they both earned a spot out of camp.

Very much so!

Old
09-07-2013, 03:19 PM
matt trick

I believe Nieto plays both wings correct? Could be a great third cog with Marleau and Couture. Good passing skills, fast, solid defensively.

I anticpate, he'll spend a good amount of time in the AHL this year, but would love for him to earn a spot.

Old
09-07-2013, 03:28 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:

It could be good for the team if they perform well as a team without Nieto and Hertl. Then add them later in the year to put the team over the top in the playoffs

Old
09-07-2013, 03:56 PM
Lebanezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
definitely good to know

does that mean they will feature in pre-season games?
I would very much like to see how they do with NHL caliber forwards in the preseason games. I don't think either of them has been able to excel in the prospects games.

Old
09-07-2013, 04:32 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
I would very much like to see how they do with NHL caliber forwards in the preseason games. I don't think either of them has been able to excel in the prospects games.
who knows

a guy like schwartz you could say has been able to excel, but hes also 23..I think hes on a longer developmental curve than the other guys...but id like to see him get that same chance.

Personally, aside from scoring, I liked what I saw from Hertl/Nieto in the offensive zone. Both of them showed strength along the boards and some flashes of creativity with their passing. Would've liked to see Nieto shoot more maybe, but I have been impressed overall and I think its evident why they are getting a chance at the main camp.

Old
09-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Lebanezer

Quote:
who knows

a guy like schwartz you could say has been able to excel, but hes also 23..I think hes on a longer developmental curve than the other guys...but id like to see him get that same chance.

Personally, aside from scoring, I liked what I saw from Hertl/Nieto in the offensive zone. Both of them showed strength along the boards and some flashes of creativity with their passing. Would've liked to see Nieto shoot more maybe, but I have been impressed overall and I think its evident why they are getting a chance at the main camp.
They've both certainly done well in the prospect games. I'm just curious to see how they will perform with the added space and time allowed by the presence of Thornton/Couture/Pavelski.

Old
09-07-2013, 04:52 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
The two of them should get good ice time in pre-season and I agree, I haven't been overly impressed with either of them (yet) in Penticton. They've both showed some flashes of good play and their skills are apparent but neither has been as good as I had hoped.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they do playing with and against NHL caliber players.

Old
09-07-2013, 04:56 PM
do0glas

Quote:
The two of them should get good ice time in pre-season and I agree, I haven't been overly impressed with either of them (yet) in Penticton. They've both showed some flashes of good play and their skills are apparent but neither has been as good as I had hoped.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they do playing with and against NHL caliber players.
I dont have much experience tracking development etc...but arent some players just like that?

get them in a game like a rookie tournament and they may not do a whole lot, but in an AHL or NHL season theyd show a lot more?

Old
09-07-2013, 05:12 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
I dont have much experience tracking development etc...but arent some players just like that?

get them in a game like a rookie tournament and they may not do a whole lot, but in an AHL or NHL season theyd show a lot more?
It's been two games and I simply said I expected more from both of them. I'm sure they'll both be a whole lot better as their seasons get under way.

Guys like Trouba, Jensen, Sheifele, Granlund, Ferland, Kitchon, Abeltshauser, Schwartz (just to name a few) have been very noticeable just about every time they're on the ice. Hertl & Nieto are the top two prospects for the Sharks at this tournament, and as someone who has watched several of these prospects play pretty often I had hoped they'd show more then they have.

Old
09-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Lebanezer

Quote:
It's been two games and I simply said I expected more from both of them. I'm sure they'll both be a whole lot better as their seasons get under way.

Guys like Trouba, Jensen, Sheifele, Granlund, Ferland, Kitchon, Abeltshauser, Schwartz (just to name a few) have been very noticeable just about every time they're on the ice. Hertl & Nieto are the top two prospects for the Sharks at this tournament, and as someone who has watched several of these prospects play pretty often I had hoped they'd show more then they have.
I wasn't sure what to expect form Hertl since he hasn't had a ton of time on the smaller ice, and it's very clear that he is still getting used to it. I also don't think he was quite prepared for how physical the "north american" style of hockey is played. I think some AHL time would be very beneficial for him in that regard. Nieto has seemed tentative to me, he just needs to get comfortable and recognize that he belongs. Speed and skill is obviously there, he just needs to own it. Ultimately, my opinion of them will come from their work in the preseason with the big boys.

Old
09-07-2013, 05:43 PM
do0glas

Quote:

I feel like you took that the wrong way, I wasnt disagreeing with you.

I was just wondering if some players (prospects) tend to play to the level of their competition sometimes.

Old
09-07-2013, 05:45 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
I feel like you took that the wrong way, I wasnt disagreeing with you.

I was just wondering if some players (prospects) tend to play to the level of their competition sometimes.
Absolutely, but I don't find that to be a good quality in a player.

And don't get me wrong, they've both been decent with flashes of very good and I'm really not reading a whole lot into the two games.

Old
09-07-2013, 05:55 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Absolutely, but I don't find that to be a good quality in a player.
Of course. Hertl is playing under different circumstances to me, though. Nieto is technically playing harder competition. lots of first rounders out there, more offensive league, etc. i dunno haha. ill defer to you on this stuff though as you watch a lot more of them.

Personally I felt Hertl has been one of the more technically proficient players that ive watched of any of the teams. There is a lot there already for him to build on. Smaller ice, more physical, never put on a sharks uni, if anything the way hes played under those circumstances has me more excited for him than I was before.

I agree with Lebanezer that Nieto seems timid at trying to make plays, maybe due to the nature of NCAA style? but every now and then hed get one of his shots off and i was impressed. lot of velocity on them, doesnt take long to load up on his stick, gets it off through coverage. his backchecking was nice too, lots of support.

Old
09-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Lebanezer

I think one of the worst things about the tournament, especially when it comes to evaluating players, is firstly they didn't get a chance to really practice or play together, so there's no chemistry or flow between any of the players. Secondly, so many players on all the teams involved are trying to make their mark and/or earn a contract, which leads to a lot of running around and late hits, cross checks, elbows and general mugging. Often, in these circumstances, that kind of exuberance is viewed as a positive and thus encouraged, along with the fact that there can't really be any supplemental discipline, the games get a little ridiculous. As much as the refs try, there's only so much they can do to stop it. Most of the players who are touted as skill players tend to look out of place in these scenarios, like Boudreau, Hertl, Nieto, etc. I'm fairly certain that Nieto and Hertl are cognizant of the fact that guys are running around and they don't want to get hurt. I've always enjoyed prospects tourneys, but considering the way this one has been played, and the injury to Mueller, I'm not so sure that it's worth it to participate. There are other ways to evaluate your prospects.

Old
09-08-2013, 09:19 AM

You're not the first person to have that thought...

Old
09-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Lebanezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
You're not the first person to have that thought...
Yes! Good to know.

Old
09-09-2013, 06:14 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2013/9/9...ks-summer-camp

Story about UConn's Brant Harris attending summer development camp

Old
09-10-2013, 11:14 AM
LeeIFBB
Teflon Doug

They could just be busts.

Old
09-11-2013, 07:23 AM
romelson

Send a message via MSN to romelson
Petter Emanuelsson has had a really promising pre-season here in Sweden. His team won all games and Petter won the internal scoreboard with eight goals in seven games.

This clip shows his hattrick in a game, one week ago. His jersey is black #14.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-PpiT773Xo

Regular season opens this saturday.

Old
09-11-2013, 10:05 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by romelson View Post
Petter Emanuelsson has had a really promising pre-season here in Sweden. His team won all games and Petter won the internal scoreboard with eight goals in seven games.

This clip shows his hattrick in a game, one week ago. His jersey is black #14.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-PpiT773Xo

Regular season opens this saturday.
That's great to hear, and see!
Emanuelsson is one of a very few Sharks prospects that I haven't really watched play and in talking to a few scouts about him I was told if he makes it to the NHL it'll likely be as an energy / 4th line player. I hope his offense continues to break out this year.

Old
09-11-2013, 02:30 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.londonknights.com/article...knights/147698

SportsNet doing documentary on OHL London Knights, so Tierney may get some (extra) coverage.

Closed Thread