Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Toews a Jet in 2015-2016?

Old
09-07-2013, 12:15 PM
jimbo1740
Rookie User

vCash: 500
The current environment with the blackhawks makes the Toews/Jet scenario impossible.

He, along with Kane, will be extended after this coming season. First off they are coming off winning the cup. Second and most important, even with the Cup Hangover they are set up for another outstanding season. They lost almost no one. They've gone from quite possibly the toughest division in the league to swapping out a rising Columbus and rival Detroit for the Jets, Wild, Avs, Stars. They probably won't repeat but the mood around the team will still be very good, which makes the prospects for them not resigning hard to imagine.

jimbo1740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1740 View Post
The current environment with the blackhawks makes the Toews/Jet scenario impossible.

He, along with Kane, will be extended after this coming season. First off they are coming off winning the cup. Second and most important, even with the Cup Hangover they are set up for another outstanding season. They lost almost no one. They've gone from quite possibly the toughest division in the league to swapping out a rising Columbus and rival Detroit for the Jets, Wild, Avs, Stars. They probably won't repeat but the mood around the team will still be very good, which makes the prospects for them not resigning hard to imagine.
Nothing is impossible.

Just because a player is extended does not mean they are immovable.

Things can change very quickly. Scenario: A couple of key Hawks get hurt. The team struggles with a cup hangover. The team doesn't perform as well as planned. Coach gets fired. New coach and Toews don't see eye to eye. Jets and Hawks trade Kane + for Toews.

A very, very unlikely scenario? Yes. Impossible? No.

JT ever playing for the Jets? Probably not. However, that has more to do with the fact that there are 30 teams, a salary cap, and all the stars have to align for a move like that to happen.

The Jets do have the fact that JT is still connected to Winnipeg as a small feather in their cap.

09-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't believe Toews will be a Jet, and I think the chances are very good that his next contract takes him to the end of his career with Chicago. With that being said, Parise went home to play for Minnesota, and Suter as well (while being close to home) so, for me there is a touch of hope. Obviously those guys didn't win with their respective teams the way Toews has, but still maybe a chance.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 01:01 PM
JetsHomer

I personally think it's far more likely that he stays in Chicago. They'll give him a blank cheque. But, on the off chance that he does leave, I think we'd be the only team he'd consider. He's not going to get a better situation than Chicago in any other team, so the only reason he'd sign here would be if he wants to be closer to home.

Perhaps if Chicago wins the cup next year he'll consider it, or maybe that'll make him want to stay and try to make a dynasty there. There's really no way to know what he's thinking, but I would love him on this team.

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Potrzebie

vCash: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1740 View Post

The only person who can say with 100% certainty that it's impossible is Jonathon Toews. Who knows what he's thinking? He's on record stating how much he loved the Jets 1.0 growing up and dreamed of playing for them. What if he feels he has nothing left to prove and wants to come home to fulfill his boyhood dream? He'd be free to go in 2 years. Maybe at that point it won't be all about the money. Who knows? Certainly not any of us.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's highly unlikely he ever leaves Chicago to come home. But impossible? Pffft. It's about as impossible as Winnipeg ever getting another NHL team.

Potrzebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Toews leaving Chicago is as close to impossible as something in sports can get, and that's really all there is to this subject.

Chris Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Toews leaving Chicago is as close to impossible as something in sports can get, and that's really all there is to this subject...
^says the Hawks fan.^

It is most certainly at least within the realm of possibility, given that he grew up here and was a Jets fan as a child. His roots run very deep here and about all he has left to do to completely cement an absolutely legendary legacy would be to return home to the newly refurbished Jets franchise.

Not saying I expect it to happen, just that it remains a possibility.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Toews leaving Chicago is as close to impossible as something in sports can get, and that's really all there is to this subject.
OK, thanks then. We will just stop talking about it in that case.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 02:27 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
It is most certainly at least within the realm of possibility, given that he grew up here and was a Jets fan as a child. His roots run very deep here and about all he has left to do to completely cement an absolutely legendary legacy would be to return home to the newly refurbished Jets franchise.
People make a way bigger deal about this kinda nonsensical crap than they need to. Once most guys get older, they really don't care about 'coming home' or 'playing for their childhood team (which the Jets technically aren't anyway)'.

To have an absolutely legendary legacy...you stay in Chicago and keep hoisting the Cup. Don't see any reason why Toews and Kane won't be team figureheads in 30-40 years the way Hull and Mikita still are here today.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
People make a way bigger deal about this kinda nonsensical crap than they need to. Once most guys get older, they really don't care about 'coming home' or 'playing for their childhood team (which the Jets technically aren't anyway)'.

To have an absolutely legendary legacy...you stay in Chicago and keep hoisting the Cup. Don't see any reason why Toews and Kane won't be team figureheads in 30-40 years the way Hull and Mikita still are here today.
How is it nonsensical to plainly state the facts that he grew up here as a Jets fan and has very deep ties to the area? He has a community center named after him here and a lake as well FFS.

His legacy would probably be best served by returning home to play in front of all of his friends and family, and he will perhaps very soon have the opportunity to do exactly that.

Old
09-07-2013, 04:26 PM
simcity

"Chicago Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman said franchise players Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews, who can be unrestricted free agents after the 2014-15 season, "will be here forever.""

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story...khawks-forever

simcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Conman16

Quote:
How is it nonsensical to plainly state the facts that he grew up here as a Jets fan and has very deep ties to the area? He has a community center named after him here and a lake as well FFS.

His legacy would probably be best served by returning home to play in front of all of his friends and family, and he will perhaps very soon have the opportunity to do exactly that.

This thread i started a while back i thought was dead numerous times... some on both sides of this argument have suggested it should have died or never been started!

I am neither optimistic or pessimistic as to what might happen. I mean really, who knows what will happen? Only Jonathon himself knows, as one other suggested.

What i do know and the initial reason behind the thread , is through a colleague, that in advance of Winnipeg Jets 2.0 being announced, and by that I mean over the course of 3-4 years in advance. He was witness to the relationship that Toews, his family and Mark Chipman have. Plainly speaking there is one and it is a strong one. So much so that this guy is convinced that there is a better than average chance of this happening. I was not witness to this, so i do not have the conviction that he has.

However, lets speculate for a moment if you are a Jets fan... Dream would be the word if you are from Chicago.

What was discussed amongst Chipman and Toews at a time when i believe Chipman would not be subjected to tampering concerns? I mean Chipman knew it was only a matter of time not if ever the Jets would back , for a long time. I mean Chipman is not a dummy, although if he did not broach the subject with Jonathon already I might have a different opinion of him now.

But whatever, i either in a year or two will be able to say you heard it here first or the Chicago fans will remind themselves of the idiot from Winnipeg who even thought it was a possibility for him to come back home.

The arguments for either point of view are obvious for any party on each side of the debate. There is a case for both. Please though Chicago fans, just do not bore me with the point of view that money will have anything to do with it. Its a capped league and Toews would be worth everything to Chipman and more to get him to Winnipeg. He will get every dollar in Winnipeg that you would offer him in Chicago.

Go Jets Go!

Conman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Conman16

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcity View Post
"Chicago Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman said franchise players Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews, who can be unrestricted free agents after the 2014-15 season, "will be here forever.""

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story...khawks-forever
What do you expect him to say to his fan base? Fact is, Stan has absolutely no control over the situation to say this. If they want out, they are gone no matter what Stan wants.

They will probably stay... but if this was submitted as a suggestion of, " well there you have it, Stan says so..." then so what!

Old
09-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcity View Post
You know what is missing in that quote? Comments from Toews agreeing with that position, and as well his signature on a contract covering "forever".

Again, not claiming I expect him to sign here, just that it remains a possibility and that is counter to the assertions made by some Hawks fans.

Can't wait until Toews sees the reception he will get here in his hometown this season; guaranteed it will prompt him to privately at least give more consideration to his future than is suggested by a throwaway quote from his current GM.

Old
09-07-2013, 05:29 PM
sully1410

I could see it...wont lose any sleep if it doesn't though.

He hasn't actually come out and say no...I'm staying with the Hawks. So there's that, not sure how much you want to read into that...if anything. I know if I was a guy like Toews, I would want to return to the 'peg and be a Jet...but he's not me.

People go on and on and on about how Winnipeg isn't a hot spot for FA...but every athlete that plays here seems to just love it so I don't know.

Hell the girl that Jonny gets married to could be a Winnipeg girl and she wants to be close to home. There may be a serious family illness or w/e that will make move back home, god forbid.

My point is, while I'm sure the Hawks would love to keep him and Kane...there may just be things that take that out of their control. You just never know.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 05:30 PM
sully1410

Quote:
You know what is missing in that quote? Comments from Toews agreeing with that position, and as well his signature on a contract covering "forever".

Again, not claiming I expect him to sign here, just that it remains a possibility and that is counter to the assertions made by some Hawks fans.

Can't wait until Toews sees the reception he will get here in his hometown this season; guaranteed it will prompt him to privately at least give more consideration to his future than is suggested by a throwaway quote from his current GM.
Now that you've said that, the MTS centre will boo him.

Old
09-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Conman16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Now that you've said that, the MTS centre will boo him.
Good point Sully! If the fan base has half a brain, it should be more like a Selanne homecoming!

Would a video montage and standing O be over the top?

Last edited by Conman16: 09-07-2013 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Add comment
Old
09-07-2013, 05:59 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Is it weird that it almost seems like CHI fans are getting butt hurt that people here are saying that there's like a 1% chance....

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Is it weird that it almost seems like CHI fans are getting butt hurt that people here are saying that there's like a 1% chance....
Hear hear!

I am not sure why Hawks fans find it necessary to try and convince us it will never happen.

I haven't seen one Jets fan say it's a lock, or even 50/50 for that matter. Everyone is stating a very simple, black and white fact:

There is a possibility, however slim.

The ones who seem to be unreasonable are the ones that are saying there is no chance. That, is factually, categorically incorrect. There's really no argument against it.

Old
09-07-2013, 07:01 PM
RonJon

vCash: 200
His contract is in Chicago, his home his roots his family and friends are in Winnipeg. Will he be a Hawk forever? If I was a betting man I'd say yes.....but IF I'm a gambling man ...

RonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

vCash: 642
Hahaha, this has shades of Canucks fans through the years 1996 to 2008. "JOE WANTS TO COME HOME!!!"

Good luck guys, not going to happen.

Holyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 07:04 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Meh. There's always a chance, but I don't see it unless something spectacular happens. Toews is a pretty integral part of their core, and Stan would be nuts to let him walk.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyhell View Post
Hahaha, this has shades of Canucks fans through the years 1996 to 2008. "JOE WANTS TO COME HOME!!!"

Good luck guys, not going to happen.
Quick question, did you actually read the thread?

Old
09-07-2013, 11:16 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Meh. There's always a chance, but I don't see it unless something spectacular happens. Toews is a pretty integral part of their core, and Stan would be nuts to let him walk.
Unless he has a gun..if Jonny wants to walk, he will.

Old
09-07-2013, 11:53 PM
blueandgoldguy

The ghost of Bill Wirtz will tick off Johnny as much as he did players and management back in the day. This will provide an opening for the jets.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote