HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Young Stars Tournament | Oilers vs Jets | 8:30PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-07-2013, 02:05 PM
  #26
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,948
vCash: 500
I still don't understand the Kessy trade.

He looks as if his upside is JF Jacques. Rieder would have been guaranteed a spot in OKC this season with Rajala jumping ship. I'm guessing he puts up Rajala numbers in San Antonio this year. Kessy will be lucky to stick in the AHL.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 02:07 PM
  #27
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
He's probably injured.


That being said, my god our forwards are terrible. I know, I know, all our fist round picks are in the NHL.

Sure miss Reider that's for sure. Great parting Gift Tambo.
Zharkov, Yakimov, Slepyshev, all 3 should be playing on one of the perennial WJC powerhouses this winter, their absences should not be downplayed. That said it is obvious that we have been trying to draft bigger bottom 6 types in recent years and you also mentioned the Kessy trade, we need these types of players to develop and round out our roster on cheap contracts when the rest of our skill hits their strides. I missed the last game and I really hope that Kessy has a better game today, maybe I'll watch today and join you in being ticked at the Kessy trade, I guess we'll have to wait and see. In principle I can see why the trade was made.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 02:08 PM
  #28
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,077
vCash: 500
@GenePrincipe
Brandon Davidson's story has been an inspirational one. Recovering from cancer. Continuing his hockey career with Edm. He'll wear 'C' vs.Wpg

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 02:09 PM
  #29
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
I still don't understand the Kessy trade.

He looks as if his upside is JF Jacques. Rieder would have been guaranteed a spot in OKC this season with Rajala jumping ship. I'm guessing he puts up Rajala numbers in San Antonio this year. Kessy will be lucky to stick in the AHL.
You think that Rieder flirts with a PPG as a 20 year old? I guess you see him as having about a 90% chance of being a solid NHLer then. No wonder you're pissed about the trade.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 02:12 PM
  #30
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,216
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
@GenePrincipe
Brandon Davidson's story has been an inspirational one. Recovering from cancer. Continuing his hockey career with Edm. He'll wear 'C' vs.Wpg
Class move. =)

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 02:14 PM
  #31
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,573
vCash: 500
I want to see Davidson become a regular NHLer one day.

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 02:16 PM
  #32
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 12,099
vCash: 500
I really hope klef sits tomorrow then. Want to see him tuesday vs the bears.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 02:24 PM
  #33
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
I still don't understand the Kessy trade.

He looks as if his upside is JF Jacques. Rieder would have been guaranteed a spot in OKC this season with Rajala jumping ship. I'm guessing he puts up Rajala numbers in San Antonio this year. Kessy will be lucky to stick in the AHL.
No way Rieder puts out a ppg as a rookie in AHL more like 15 g 20 a also Kessy will be starting in echl I would bet on it, remember arguing with a poster who said he was a lock for AHL which I still highly doubt.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 02:27 PM
  #34
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
You think that Rieder flirts with a PPG as a 20 year old? I guess you see him as having about a 90% chance of being a solid NHLer then. No wonder you're pissed about the trade.
NHL upside is another thing, although Phoenix may be the right team for him.

But having seen that kid play last year, I can see him succeeding at a higher level than the OHL. Perhaps a PPG may be a little over-optimistic, but he's shown nothing but a solid progression since being drafted. Kessy was unheard of at the time of the trade and he's still a relative unknown. It'll take a whole lot to change that.

BTW, Portland is now Arizona's AHL affiliate, not San Antonio...


belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 02:41 PM
  #35
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size
 
OneMoreAstronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,510
vCash: 50
Well its Klefbom's last game to prove himself. If he can't recover from a year off of hockey in two entire games, HFOil will hang him and christen the next messiah.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 02:54 PM
  #36
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Zharkov, Yakimov, Slepyshev, all 3 should be playing on one of the perennial WJC powerhouses this winter, their absences should not be downplayed. That said it is obvious that we have been trying to draft bigger bottom 6 types in recent years and you also mentioned the Kessy trade, we need these types of players to develop and round out our roster on cheap contracts when the rest of our skill hits their strides. I missed the last game and I really hope that Kessy has a better game today, maybe I'll watch today and join you in being ticked at the Kessy trade, I guess we'll have to wait and see. In principle I can see why the trade was made.
Oh I know for sure, but with the Russian players there is the inherited risk with them. You would hope you have some sort of a back up plan in terms of secondary scoring coming in the next couple years outside of the KHL playing Russians.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 02:55 PM
  #37
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I really hope klef sits tomorrow then. Want to see him tuesday vs the bears.
I'm guessing he does, the Golden Bears game has local fans at it, and its a good way to raise some coin for the U of A. We need our top 2 drawing prospects with no flashy forwards to bring out the fans.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 02:56 PM
  #38
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
I'm guessing he does, the Golden Bears game has local fans at it, and its a good way to raise some coin for the U of A. We need our top 2 drawing prospects with no flashy forwards to bring out the fans.
Haha the young stars game does not help raise money for the University.

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 02:59 PM
  #39
Red Deer Rebel
Registered User
 
Red Deer Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 2,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
No Nurse? WTF? I missed the last game so I was hoping to get my first look at him today
The whole game is supposedly archived, although the link isn't working for me:

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocen...443270&lang=en

I'm not sure you really want to watch. Even a sunshine and lollipops commentator like Gene Principe was having a hard time finding anything positive to say about Nurse's performance the following day on Team 1260.

The kid should be sent back to the Sault after rookie camp and not even attend main camp. Hopefully he has a good season in junior and makes the Canadian Junior Team. Not much else to say.

MacT's big find - Andrew Miller - was also horrendous.

The only kid worth watching out there was Marco Roy. Here is my report card:

Forwards:
Roy - A
Khaira - C
Chase - C
Miller - F
Kessy - F
Abney - F
Ewanyk - F
Houck - F
Baddock - F
Schaber - F
Bilckie - F
Fyten - F

Defence:
Marincin - B
Betker - B
Gernat - C
Klefbom - F
Nurse - F
Musil - F

Goal:

Bunz - D

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 03:00 PM
  #40
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 12,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
I'm guessing he does, the Golden Bears game has local fans at it, and its a good way to raise some coin for the U of A. We need our top 2 drawing prospects with no flashy forwards to bring out the fans.
Ya, looks like it, Nurse today, klef tomorrow, so both are a go on tuesday.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 03:02 PM
  #41
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Haha the young stars game does not help raise money for the University.
“The Golden Bears and U of A Athletics thank the Edmonton Oilers organization and, in particular, General Manager Craig MacTavish for renewing and re-energizing the long term relationship that has existed between the Edmonton Oilers and the University of Alberta Golden Bears,” says the General Manager of the Golden Bears, Stan Marple. “This game is very important to our program as it exposes our team to thehighest level of competition, and it raises significant publicity and revenue which keeps us competitive in CIS. We are very grateful and fortunate that the Oilers’ and Craig's commitment and understanding of the greater hockey community in Edmonton has brought this game back.”


PS I already read your rant about this on the Connect2 forums Replacement, dont need to read it again.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 03:05 PM
  #42
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
I still don't understand the Kessy trade.

He looks as if his upside is JF Jacques. Rieder would have been guaranteed a spot in OKC this season with Rajala jumping ship. I'm guessing he puts up Rajala numbers in San Antonio this year. Kessy will be lucky to stick in the AHL.
First off he won't be playing in San Antonio since he belongs to Phoenix. Secondly, I'd be shocked if he put up the same numbers as Rajala this year. I am a big fan but I think you are over stating his potential.

He and Kessy are totally different type of player obviously. At this point the Oilers need one type a lot more than the other.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 03:22 PM
  #43
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
“The Golden Bears and U of A Athletics thank the Edmonton Oilers organization and, in particular, General Manager Craig MacTavish for renewing and re-energizing the long term relationship that has existed between the Edmonton Oilers and the University of Alberta Golden Bears,” says the General Manager of the Golden Bears, Stan Marple. “This game is very important to our program as it exposes our team to thehighest level of competition, and it raises significant publicity and revenue which keeps us competitive in CIS. We are very grateful and fortunate that the Oilers’ and Craig's commitment and understanding of the greater hockey community in Edmonton has brought this game back.”


PS I already read your rant about this on the Connect2 forums Replacement, dont need to read it again.
Okay. Let us first understand the difference between the university, and the athletics department. This game does NOT provide revenue to the school.

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 03:32 PM
  #44
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
NHL upside is another thing, although Phoenix may be the right team for him.

But having seen that kid play last year, I can see him succeeding at a higher level than the OHL. Perhaps a PPG may be a little over-optimistic, but he's shown nothing but a solid progression since being drafted. Kessy was unheard of at the time of the trade and he's still a relative unknown. It'll take a whole lot to change that.

BTW, Portland is now Arizona's AHL affiliate, not San Antonio...
I knew who Kessy was and I had hoped that we'd draft him in hi draft year so just because he was unknown to some doesn't mean that he was a complete unknown. That said this will be the first game that I will get to see him play so I'll finally see what he brings to the table other than his fists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
Well its Klefbom's last game to prove himself. If he can't recover from a year off of hockey in two entire games, HFOil will hang him and christen the next messiah.
Yeah no doubt, then we can concentrate on hoping that Zharkov fails to complete the Penner trade to claim that we were right all along and that it'd be a bad trade for us no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Oh I know for sure, but with the Russian players there is the inherited risk with them. You would hope you have some sort of a back up plan in terms of secondary scoring coming in the next couple years outside of the KHL playing Russians.
I get what you're saying, however it's easy to forget that most of our top picks in recent years have already become key contributors on the big club. Really Nurse and Klefbom are the only 1st rounders that we have from recent years to compare to the others. The key here IMO is evaluating our picks and the opposing teams picks beyond round 1 and seeing how they stack up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
The whole game is supposedly archived, although the link isn't working for me:

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocen...443270&lang=en

I'm not sure you really want to watch. Even a sunshine and lollipops commentator like Gene Principe was having a hard time finding anything positive to say about Nurse's performance the following day on Team 1260.

The kid should be sent back to the Sault after rookie camp and not even attend main camp. Hopefully he has a good season in junior and makes the Canadian Junior Team. Not much else to say.

MacT's big find - Andrew Miller - was also horrendous.

The only kid worth watching out there was Marco Roy. Here is my report card:

Forwards:
Roy - A
Khaira - C
Chase - C
Miller - F
Kessy - F
Abney - F
Ewanyk - F
Houck - F
Baddock - F
Schaber - F
Bilckie - F
Fyten - F

Defence:
Marincin - B
Betker - B
Gernat - C
Klefbom - F
Nurse - F
Musil - F

Goal:

Bunz - D
Thanks for that, the link isn't working for me right now either. That's not a very promising report card, but at least there are a small handful of positives starting with Roy and ending with a guy like Betker. Miller should be a stand-out in a tournament like this IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
First off he won't be playing in San Antonio since he belongs to Phoenix. Secondly, I'd be shocked if he put up the same numbers as Rajala this year. I am a big fan but I think you are over stating his potential.

He and Kessy are totally different type of player obviously. At this point the Oilers need one type a lot more than the other.
Agreed, and it has been speculated or perhaps even stated that Rieder didn't like his chances here and wanted out. Maybe Kessy isn't an ideal return for some, but I for one am hoping that he succeeds and becomes a solid heart and soul role player for us.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 03:32 PM
  #45
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра
 
Comrade Blunderbore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: КПЗ
Country: New Zealand-Maori
Posts: 1,710
vCash: 50
no Betker? i thought he was our best D-man last game.

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 03:34 PM
  #46
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
no Betker? i think he was our best D-man last game.
I missed that, I was looking forward to watching him as well. It sucks that I missed the last game even though it sounds like it was a frustrating one. IMO these types of games are good to key in on individuals more so than teams.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 04:05 PM
  #47
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,573
vCash: 500
While I don't put much stock into games like this, boy, did some guys look disappointing on Thursday.

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 04:11 PM
  #48
spOiler
Registered User
 
spOiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Lineup tonight...

Platzer - Khaira - Miller
Baddock - Schaber - Chase
Kessy - Ewanyk - Bilckie
Fyten - Roy - Houck

Klefbom - Marincin
Musil - Leach
Davidson - Gernat

Cadorette
Palazzese
Hoping they have klef on the left did marincin play on the right side last game i cant remember.

spOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 04:14 PM
  #49
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Nurse's body language was not good as he left the ice on Thursday. He was (somehow) overwhelmed in the first game and needs to take a look at the action from the pressbox.
Never know if a guy is sick and just not feeling well. For vets that wouldn't be as much of a big deal and you play through it but for younger guys it seemingly impacts more.

Who knows, just saying. Could be any number of reasons why a young guy isn't ready. Probably good move on the orgs part.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 04:15 PM
  #50
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
While I don't put much stock into games like this, boy, did some guys look disappointing on Thursday.
Yes.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.