HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Young Stars Tournament | Oilers vs Jets | 8:30PM

Old
09-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Mint

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
At least our players looked good in that tournament...
I'm pretty sure one of the top players in that tournament was Keith Seabrook.

I recently saw him in an Elite A game in Italy.

Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
Klefbom is a season away. End of story. Blame the injury and the time away from the game but it is what it is.
I don't mind. You can't take a full year off and basically not expect it to impact your game at that young of an age.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
I guess I'm alone here but I've been happy with Klefbom so far.. Platzer also looks good.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:12 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

There were some great individual moments but the team itself is outclassed by the older, more "veteran" squads. Most of the high-end guys are under-performing or aren't even at this tournament (the russian delegation comes to mind).

CanadianCommie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:13 PM
RisingSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep View Post
The overreactions are getting a bit ridiculous. I remember when a team with Hall Paajarvi and Eberle lost to SJ's prospect team a few years ago, what NHLers came out from that Sharks team? It's a gimmick tournament.
I think this tourney hurts more because at least with Hall,Ebs etc. we knew we were getting some quality players regardless of their results in tournament. However seeing our prospects who are supposed to become our much need role players suck this bad, it's frustrating because most of us don't have that many opportunities to see them play, so this one time we have a chance to track their progress and this is all they have to show. I'm sure our prospects are much better then they are now, but c'mon boys, this is an important game for showcasing your skills to fans and coaches, pick it up!

RisingSun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

I didn't mind that period actually. Kessy nearly scored, got into a fight and had a couple of good hits. He had a solid period for a bottom 6 player. Khaira was looking pretty good down low and knows when to use his size as evidenced by leaning on the one D which led to him coughing up the puck in the slot to Miller. Klefbom still looks rusty, but it is what it is, he hasn't played for over a year and if he isn't NHL ready right now it's not the end of the world. Gernat is looking pretty decent IMO as is Marco Roy. All in all we are down 3-0 but I like that our team isn't taking **** and there are some bright spots out there if you are willing to look beyond the score.

09-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Paralyzer008

The main thing that hurts is that nothing is really a standout.

Forwards as a whole are mediocre or bad.
Defense has struggled outside of some bright flashes from Marincin and Gernat.
Goalies haven't been great.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
If you're watching for some entertainment and a decent level of hockey, this game is terrible. Just because people are upset doesn't mean they are making long term conclusions about player's futures. It's just been crap hockey so far.
i'm watching to get a glimpse of what this or that prospect is made of (since i never got the chance to watch most of them), not to judge the level of play in team that has been together for grand total of two days. call it voluntary rose-tinted glasses, but i'll pay attention only to whatever positive they get to show me, rather than flailing over any mistake they make. at least until late training camp, whoever of these guys manages to make it that far.

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I guess I'm alone here but I've been happy with Klefbom so far.. Platzer also looks good.
When I first saw the draft choice, I immediately hockeydb/eliteprospected the kid. Saw 22 points, and expected to see D-man. Looked up, and it said he was a forward. Alright, then he might be a big body, big PIM type of player. 5'11, 176lbs, 15 PIMs. Let's just say, I was pretty confused/frustrated.

After learning a bit about him and seeing him out there on the ice, with the ice time he'll likely get next season, he might be a steal choice here.

On another note, I'm still waiting to see more of Chase. He's probably my favorite prospect after Marincin and Klefbom right now.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
He was deked twice bad , and has not looked good Khaira has looked good again and I give props to Kessy for all his banging. But this team is very slow imo.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Mint

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
I think this tourney hurts more because at least with Hall,Ebs etc. we knew we were getting some quality players regardless of their results in tournament. However seeing our prospects who are supposed to become our much need role players suck this bad, it's frustrating because most of us don't have that many opportunities to see them play, so this one time we have a chance to track their progress and this is all they have to show.
Oh I understand. This is my first time watching a lot of these players, but it isn't large enough of a sample size for me to conclude that Klefbom won't be ready this year or that Nurse shouldn't be invited to training camp.

Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:17 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I didn't mind that period actually. Kessy nearly scored, got into a fight and had a couple of good hits. He had a solid period for a bottom 6 player. Khaira was looking pretty good down low and knows when to use his size as evidenced by leaning on the one D which led to him coughing up the puck in the slot to Miller. Klefbom still looks rusty, but it is what it is, he hasn't played for over a year and if he isn't NHL ready right now it's not the end of the world. Gernat is looking pretty decent IMO as is Marco Roy. All in all we are down 3-0 but I like that our team isn't taking **** and there are some bright spots out there if you are willing to look beyond the score.
I think the Oilers should have scored at least one in that period. Comrie wasn't super busy but he made a few fantastic saves. I think the jets deserved to win the period but the Oilers got a tough break with Comrie bringing his A-game.

CanadianCommie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:18 PM
North

It's not surprising Klefbom is rusty. Because he was rehabbing his injury, he hasn't played any meaningful hockey for a long time. It's going to take some time for him to get his timing back.

I have to admit that I didn't think the Oilers would do well at this tourney. All their young high end forward talent is on the big team. I just wanted a chance to see how the other players look. I'm liking Khaira a lot. I think M. Roy is going to be a good one. He has to be careful about being on the receiving end of big hits though. I enjoyed seeing Kessy start to throw some hits. That is what he should be doing. Even though Davidson isn't flashy, something about him makes me think he has an NHL future. I've seen flashes of things I like from Ewanyk, Houck, Platzer, and Chase.

Marincin is the one who looks head and shoulders above all the other D men on the team and that's not entirely surprising. Gernat is raw but there is a lot to like about him.

I'm probably missing a few others, but these are the names that jumped out at me.

North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Iceonfire

This is Klefboms 2nd game in over a year. It is understandable that he is rusty. A month or so into the AHL and he should be back to full form.

Marincin doesn't have anyone to pass to. None of the forwards can keep the puck on their stick for some reason. They barely make it out of the neutral zone.

Iceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Yak City

Yeah, seriously, Klefbom hasn't played meaningful hockey in what, almost a year? He's going to look rusty. He still has all the tools to be a great d man.

Yak City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:20 PM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
This is Klefboms 2nd game in over a year. It is understandable that he is rusty. A month or so into the AHL and he should be back to full form.

Marincin doesn't have anyone to pass to. None of the forwards can keep the puck on their stick for some reason. They barely make it out of the neutral zone.
This. He has to circle back every time he has the puck in our zone. Good signs = head is up with the puck, and he's always looking for an outlet pass.

Old
09-07-2013, 10:21 PM
belair

I think it's safe to say that this is the last time that an NHL camp sees Chase Schaber unless he's sitting in the stands.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Don't tease me with NHL highlights

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:22 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Oilers rookies losing? Cut all of them.

Oh wait..

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:25 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Blunderbore View Post
once again guys: young unpolished high end forward picks>>>>>>>>young unpolished high end defense picks. i'm totally cool with whatever goes on here, as long as the kids show some hustle and energy (which they do). heck, we don't even have an actual meaningful G prospect in this tourney. quit moaning for now, we'll have helluva lotta opportunities for this later in the year.
This.
It's also no coincidence the guys looking best are the skill guys like Roy and Gernat. These kind of unorganized pre-season games with little or no prep fits skill players of which we have very few on this team.

In this particular period we're getting some sloppy stuff in the d zone combined with pretty bad goaltending. Our forwards just aren't skilled enough to get anything going in the offensive zone.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:26 PM
ohheyhemsky

How's about the refs give us a call on one of those?

Old
09-07-2013, 10:26 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Khaira is smart, took a punch to secure the powerplay. Too bad these refs are peewee.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:28 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

One of the bright spots of the tourny is Khaira. He's got game and it's exactly the style we need.

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:30 PM
ohheyhemsky

Good shift Klefa.

Old
09-07-2013, 10:31 PM
McClelland

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
Klefbom is a season away. End of story. Blame the injury and the time away from the game but it is what it is.
This is like see a junior team playing against men, you cant play hockey when the other team is superior whole over the ice.
Must be frustating!

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote