HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Some perspective on Latendresse's hit on Dimaio

Old
11-15-2006, 09:34 AM
habscout

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
Some perspective on Latendresse's hit on Dimaio

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/11/15/Li..._hit_res.shtml

This is a good article, as it helps explain the lack of hitting that Latendresse has had in the style of his game, since this hit in the preseason. One of the things I thought was missing from Gui's game was the physical aspect, and it appears that he's been troubled by injuring Dimaio.

habscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 10:20 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Great article and also nice word by dandenault about tender!

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 10:44 AM
Guy Caballero

Latendresse, who maintains the hit was clean, said the episode left him gun-shy.

"You hurt someone and it's tough," he said. "After that it's in your mind. When I saw a guy in the corner and went after him, I was not going the same way as I was in preseason."

Gee, that's swell. I'm happy. I was worried that Latendresse was going to be a mean-spirited punisher who'd put opponents into the fifth row with huge hits. I'm soooo happy to hear that he's really big softy who just wants everyone to have fun our there.

Man up, GL. You didn't kill the guy. Gainey's paying you for the big hits as much as the goals.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 10:47 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Latendresse, who maintains the hit was clean, said the episode left him gun-shy.

"You hurt someone and it's tough," he said. "After that it's in your mind. When I saw a guy in the corner and went after him, I was not going the same way as I was in preseason."

Gee, that's swell. I'm happy. I was worried that Latendresse was going to be a mean-spirited punisher who'd put opponents into the fifth row with huge hits. I'm soooo happy to hear that he's really big softy who just wants everyone to have fun our there.

Man up, GL. You didn't kill the guy. Gainey's paying you for the big hits as much as the goals.
I think that interview is quite old now. Since he's playing on the first line with Saku, he is one of the guys (if not the one) that is hitting the most on the team.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:

Your post made me laugh. Sometimes, I wonder if we put too much stock in what players say to the media. Other times, I'm sure we do.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
I think that interview is quite old now. Since he's playing on the first line with Saku, he is one of the guys (if not the one) that is hitting the most on the team.
True, he has been hitting a lot more since moving to line one. I'd still like to see more of a mean streak, though.

Old
11-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
more hits, but it still doesn't seem like the same guy :S

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 10:57 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye West View Post
more hits, but it still doesn't seem like the same guy :S
I feel it's because he doesn't want to make mistakes or take bad penalties. He was more of a scorer at junior level than a big hitter only.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

Quote:

have u SEEN the hits that Lats has been laying out as of late?? I dont think he is holding back anymore

what I find to be quite encouraging...is that GL is one of the least penalized guys on the roster. This shows me that he is making a huge effort to be smart on the ice.

Last edited by montreal: 11-15-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 11:51 AM
AK-47

Quote:

He leads all rookies in hits this season. I think he's getting the job done in that departement. That article is based on old facts, btw.

AK-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Guy Caballero

I'm a fan of the guy, don't get me wrong. I'd just like to see him show more nastiness, like Owen Nolan or Cam Neely used to.

That may come with more time and confidence. When he drops the gloves for the first time, I'll be a true convert to the Nation of Latendresse.

Old
11-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Habbadasher

The guy is 19 years old for goodness sakes. I remember Brashear when he broke into the NHL, he fought boxing style, because he was cautious about the size and strength of NHL players. That was after he had been in the AHL . The next year he opened up more and fought the normal way. Of course we all know he went on to become one of the most feared fighters in the NHL. Give Gui some time, as in, a few years.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 01:52 PM
SniperMogilny2K6*

It was a careless move by Latendresse, I hope DiMiao returns soon.

Theres no room for hits like that in pre-season

SniperMogilny2K6* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperMogilny2K6 View Post

DiMiaos probably done playing pro hockey, its too bad.

As far as Tenderness goes at the starting of this season he was more concerned about not getting laid out himself then anything,. After a dozen games or so he is much more comfortable out there and is taking time to play both the puck and the body.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperMogilny2K6 View Post

NOT!

i fiigured u were making a not joke so...i finished it for you...

Is it me or is Lats hitting the boards beside the players more often then he hits the players? is he hoping to knock them down with the massive vibration that ensues? That would be Genius...there's no way a ref could make a call on those type of "hits"

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 03:13 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

lol in that article it sounds like Dandenault has a man-crush on Latendresse.

11-16-2006, 07:51 PM
TheHoser

Doesn't Latendresse lead the league in hits by a rookie?

TheHoser is offline   Reply With Quote