HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Young Stars Tournament | Oilers vs Jets | 8:30PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-07-2013, 11:58 PM
  #426
gholas
Registered User
 
gholas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,275
vCash: 50
Gene rools, remember CKND soo funny

gholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 11:58 PM
  #427
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St Albert
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
This I agree with...



This is just nonsense. Even at first blush, you've included the guy with the ... ALL TIME... CAREER... of ALL GOALIES WHO EVER PLAYED... EVER!.... 2nd best career SPCT. That's right, the guy, who over his career is 2nd only to Dominic Hasek in SPCT. And he had a Stanley Cup... and he had two Vezinas.

I'll just say it certainly weakens your argument.
Thomas is 39 and just took a year off.
He's not an elite goalie anymore. He's doesn't even have a contract.
Beside the point, he was drafted 217th overall and didn't even emerge as a starter until he was 32. So pretty much exactly the type of point I was making, he was signed as an FA by Boston and got to play behind Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuck, Ference, and a few others enroute to his cup win.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:00 AM
  #428
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St Albert
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
Gross loss. Khaira, Roy and Marincin were great again. Klefa and Kessy were better too IMO. Any news on Houck?
Head injury, as tweeted by Chris Wescott.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:02 AM
  #429
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,362
vCash: 500
Khaira b+
Roy B+
Marincin C+
Musil C
DavidsonC
PlatzerC
GernatC
ChaseC


Caudette F-
Fyften F-
Miller F-
Kessy D+
Klefbom D-


Rest were meh Houck Invisible till he got nailed .

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:04 AM
  #430
Soli
Moderator
"Punish & Enslave"
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 12,770
vCash: 500
Sounds like an ugly one. Someone gimme a rundown on how Chase and Klefbom looked?

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:05 AM
  #431
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,160
vCash: 500
Chase was good tonight. Better than a C. Kessy was also better than a D+.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:06 AM
  #432
bucks_oil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scliff View Post
Do you have Hasek in your top 5 goalies in the NHL?
I'm not sure where you are going with this. Do you mean the 6-time Vezina winner and two-time Hart trophy winner? Yes, Hasek is absolutely in my top 5 goalies of all time. But the argument is not about Hasek.

And in case you are coming late to the party... the argument was:

'There is no point in drafting a goalie... you can win without an elite goalie... these goalies recently won the cup and are not elite'.

And that list of goalies included a guy with the 2nd best save percentage of all time. Now... like that stat or not, but anyone who can post career numbers that would put him #2 in ANY career stat was *probably* an elite goalie in his day.... just sayin'

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:07 AM
  #433
jebs
Registered User
 
jebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,419
vCash: 500
I like Davidsons game.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:08 AM
  #434
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Sounds like an ugly one. Someone gimme a rundown on how Chase and Klefbom looked?
Chase plays an interesting game. He always seems to be in on the action in some capacity, and he's around the net a lot. He looks like a Burrows or a Marchand.

Klefbom showed flashes of brilliance, and rust at times, but overall played a solid game. He's a raw package, and he's going to take some time.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:10 AM
  #435
bucks_oil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Thomas is 39 and just took a year off.
He's not an elite goalie anymore. He's doesn't even have a contract.
Beside the point, he was drafted 217th overall and didn't even emerge as a starter until he was 32. So pretty much exactly the type of point I was making, he was signed as an FA by Boston and got to play behind Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuck, Ference, and a few others enroute to his cup win.
Groucho... groucho... you can't change the goalpost. Pun intended.

The goalpost was "stanley cup winning goalies don't need to be elite". You then went back to provide some historical examples. SURELY, when you are talking about these Stanley Cup winning goalies we are talking about their abilities AT THE TIME THEY WON THE CUP?!?!

Yeah, Thomas has effectively retired. That's completely irrelevant. At the time he won the cup he was performing at an ELITE level... in fact, he performed at an ELITE level for most of his career.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:10 AM
  #436
TowMater14
Registered User
 
TowMater14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: OIL COUNTRY
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,806
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
hey, I'm rusty, gotta get ready for Omark.

Wheres my tomaters...
I'm right here!

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:12 AM
  #437
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
The players are still using the "nerves" excuse after the game here and that bothers me.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:13 AM
  #438
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St Albert
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
Groucho... groucho... you can't change the goalpost. Pun intended.

The goalpost was "stanley cup winning goalies don't need to be elite". You then went back to provide some historical examples. SURELY, when you are talking about these Stanley Cup winning goalies we are talking about their abilities AT THE TIME THEY WON THE CUP?!?!

Yeah, Thomas has effectively retired. That's completely irrelevant. At the time he won the cup he was performing at an ELITE level... in fact, he performed at an ELITE level for most of his career.
Alright. I didn't have Thomas' stats or accolades in my back pocket (and I know you pay extra attention to Goalies because you are one) but my point still stands. You're harping on about Thomas but ignoring the other 3 examples I used. I could probably go back even farther if you want.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:13 AM
  #439
bucks_oil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Thomas is 39 and just took a year off.
He's not an elite goalie anymore. He's doesn't even have a contract.
Beside the point, he was drafted 217th overall and didn't even emerge as a starter until he was 32. So pretty much exactly the type of point I was making, he was signed as an FA by Boston and got to play behind Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuck, Ference, and a few others enroute to his cup win.
Well I've already agreed with you that finding an elite goalie does not require a 1st or 2nd round pick. It requires a good eye scouting the age group of late bloomers (which *most* goalies are... very few make it early... at least relative to their draft year).

Where we differ is on your characterization of that list as "not elite". Just cuz 'Thomas came late to the party, does not mean he was not Elite.

Perhaps what you meant to say was "some of these goalies are not Elite, and those that are were not early picks"... but that is not what you said.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:16 AM
  #440
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
Sorry..but this made me laugh after you pulled the Gretzky card in the defense of Rajala a few weeks back.
You see he only takes that stance when it fits his current agenda. Marco Roy is stronger on the puck than Rajala at the same age, it's really not even close. I'm also not sure why Replacement is so worried about Roy seeing as his favorite player finally learned how not to fall on his ass 10 times a game last season as a 23 or 24 year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Gretz had enough sense to look out for checks and get out of the way. Roy is an idiot. Wouldn't last half a season in the NHL.

He's got his bell rung good a few times in this game. Hopefully he makes it to the bell..
Good stuff, I can print your quote up and use it for TP and put it to good use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Khaira b+
Roy B+
Marincin C+
Musil C
DavidsonC
PlatzerC
GernatC
ChaseC


Caudette F-
Fyften F-
Miller F-
Kessy D+
Klefbom D-


Rest were meh Houck Invisible till he got nailed .
D+ for Kessy? What did you expect from him? A hattrick and 3 fights? He had a solid game for a bottom 6 guy. Oh well I guess if Rieder had played it would've been 7-3 instead of 7-2 so I guess that's enough reason to drop Kessy's grade.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:27 AM
  #441
bucks_oil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Alright. I didn't have Thomas' stats or accolades in my back pocket (and I know you pay extra attention to Goalies because you are one) but my point still stands. You're harping on about Thomas but ignoring the other 3 examples I used. I could probably go back even farther if you want.
Well alright, since you asked:

Niemi: has gone on from his cup run to be in the top ten in SPCT in the years since. He is a solid, solid goalie, would need to string several more seasons together to convince me to use "elite" if we're talking about career, but he's clearly in the conversation for "Top 10" based on recent performance.

Crawford: This one surprises me a little. I don't like his style, and I've seen the Oilers light him up, so I'm very biased. So I don't like the idea of calling him Elite... that said: in his 3 seasons in the NHL he has accomplished: rookie all-star team, top 10 GAA in 2 out of his first 3 seasons, a Jennings trophy, a top ten SPCT season, a career SPCT of 0.913, a playoff SPCT of 0.924, and an invite to play for team Canada. I'm reaching the point where I may have to let his actual performance quell my own biases.

Fleury: Is a headcase for sure... overpaid... but when he's on, he's (IMO) a top-ten goalie in the league. I was at the Joe Louis for game 7... he stole that game and won that cup for his team. To my point... he was providing elite goaltending when they won the cup.

Thomas: as previously elaborated, it was a mistake to suggest he was not an elite goalie.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:29 AM
  #442
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
You see he only takes that stance when it fits his current agenda. Marco Roy is stronger on the puck than Rajala at the same age, it's really not even close. I'm also not sure why Replacement is so worried about Roy seeing as his favorite player finally learned how not to fall on his ass 10 times a game last season as a 23 or 24 year old.



Good stuff, I can print your quote up and use it for TP and put it to good use.



D+ for Kessy? What did you expect from him? A hattrick and 3 fights? He had a solid game for a bottom 6 guy. Oh well I guess if Rieder had played it would've been 7-3 instead of 7-2 so I guess that's enough reason to drop Kessy's grade.
He was still minus 2 made one nice play because he fell in offensive zone and puck came back to him He laid out a few hits but was out of position lots why the D+ not Minus and I don't care about Rieder he will struggle at next level as well

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:34 AM
  #443
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Chase plays an interesting game. He always seems to be in on the action in some capacity, and he's around the net a lot. He looks like a Burrows or a Marchand.

Klefbom showed flashes of brilliance, and rust at times, but overall played a solid game. He's a raw package, and he's going to take some time.
Listen Klefbom has the tools and tool box but saying he had a solid game is fanboy stance at best he was a pylon 3 times on rushes which lead to 2 goals directly. Is that you Gene?

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:39 AM
  #444
Yak City
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 252
vCash: 500
I'm not an expert by any means, but a lot of the time it looked like Klefbom had the right idea about a half a second too late - this is something that will disappear as he gets back into full-time play, in my opinion.

Yak City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:56 AM
  #445
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,301
vCash: 500
I think Klefbom was entering "Schremp-status" in terms of over-hyped prospect (see 8th Most Valuable Oiler http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1471389) due to a couple of sweet practices with the Oilers players

problem is, we're talking about practice...not the game, practice...

dude has a massive amount of rust to shake off and he'll be in the AHL a min. 40 games to hopefully shake it off

The Last Dynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:58 AM
  #446
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
You see he only takes that stance when it fits his current agenda. Marco Roy is stronger on the puck than Rajala at the same age, it's really not even close. I'm also not sure why Replacement is so worried about Roy seeing as his favorite player finally learned how not to fall on his ass 10 times a game last season as a 23 or 24 year old.



Good stuff, I can print your quote up and use it for TP and put it to good use.
lol Irony. I'm critiquing some little pint sized scrub that won't even end up being an NHL player and isn't worth even talking about and you've spent the last half a dozen seasons trolling Sam Gagner, one of the best players in the org.

yeah, you've written a lot of asswipe. I'll never run out.

ps The great Marco Roy is -4 in two games in the tournament and has 0-0-0 on the board. I must have missed something. Actually missed 5mins of the second period tonight. Apparently Roy was legendary in that 5mins. Can't say I ever noticed him except the times he got swatted out there.


Last edited by Replacement: 09-08-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 01:02 AM
  #447
armandh01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,743
vCash: 500
*Grabs popcorn*

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 01:08 AM
  #448
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,362
vCash: 500
Roy has great wheels and good offensive instincts, he will break 100 pts in the Q this season imo.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 01:22 AM
  #449
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,638
vCash: 177
this is what happens when you don't have first overall players on your roster =(

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 01:32 AM
  #450
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
lol Irony. I'm critiquing some little pint sized scrub that won't even end up being an NHL player and isn't worth even talking about and you've spent the last half a dozen seasons trolling Sam Gagner, one of the best players in the org.

yeah, you've written a lot of asswipe. I'll never run out.

ps The great Marco Roy is -4 in two games in the tournament and has 0-0-0 on the board. I must have missed something. Actually missed 5mins of the second period tonight. Apparently Roy was legendary in that 5mins. Can't say I ever noticed him except the times he got swatted out there.
For a guy who we drafted about 3 months ago, and someone you likely have never seen play before 2 days ago you sure are quick to write him off after watching him play 20 odd minutes of ice time.

You know that I have always respected you as a poster. And I've defended your opinion lots. But this is ridiculous.

So far in a handful of posts I've seen you say that Roy will never be an NHLer, will likely play in the ECHL and that he is an idiot. An idiot? Really? An 18 year old 2nd round draft pick who you've never seen play is an idiot? Give me a break. That's just gross.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.