HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blackhawks Announce Rookie Tournament Roster

Old
09-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Blue Liner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
I sat 4 rows up from the glass, so it was hard to see some of the action at the opposite end of the rink, but I got some good looks and this is what I saw.

The whole team took a little while to get it together. Toronto prospects pretty much dominated the 1st period, and Chicago wasn’t getting many opportunities.
Mac Carruth was standing on his head in the 1st period, and had a solid game overall. Once they were about ½ way through the 2nd, Chicago started getting it together, and in the 3rd/OT, dominated Toronto.

Some of the guys that stuck out..good or bad.

Philip Danault – made some great shot blocks and defensive plays. Used his speed quite a bit to get past defenders in the offensive zone, and made some very slick passes. Still needs some seasoning in the AHL before he makes the bigs I think.

Drew Leblanc (both good and bad) – had a rough start to the game, a couple of really bad giveaways, one that lead directly to a GA. I thought he turned his game around in the 3rd period and made a very slick pass to Mullane for the wide open snipe. Leblanc is a very good skater, and passer, but doesn’t seem to use his shot very much. If he can clean up his defensive miscues, he could easily be a #3 C I think. I can’t see him playing in the bigs this year either, unless it’s an emergency call-up.

Mark McNeill – had a meh game, did battle along the boards well and forechecked well. He is also fairly solid defensively, much like Danault. Had him lined up on the wing, not at C. Didn’t really see him get a good scoring chance, but he did lay a couple hits and took hits to make plays.

Broadhurts’s – Both Alex and Terry had pretty good games, especially in the 3rd where their line dominated. Both brothers are very intelligent players, and can make quick plays at high speeds. Really hard to tell the difference between them at times, and both aren’t afraid to get their nose dirty in the corners.

Nordstrom also had a pretty good game, and was one of the better players out there.

I was pretty underwhelmed by Ross, and Shalunov. Maybe they just had an off game.

As for the defense, it’s very clear that Fournier is one of our top defensive prospects. Guy can skate like the wind, rushes the puck up and makes plays at high speeds. He does need to bulk up a little bit like Hoss said, but the guy is a very good offensive Dman, and didn’t make too many mistakes defensively.

Olsen was very meh, and for being one of the most experienced players out there, I thought he should of stuck out more. He got a lot of ice time, and didn’t make too many bone headed plays, but I was still underwhelmed by his play. He’s a big boy, and he still has the potential to become a solid NHL dman, but he has quite a bit of work to do.

Svedberg (6’-9”) was pretty solid all night I thought. He isn’t hindered by his skating, and his long reach really helps him out. Definitely needs some seasoning, but he could be a lower pairing Dman in the future.

Gleason, Shea, Brown, were all meh, nothing special.

Mac Carruth was solid, 1st GA was through a screen on a shot from the slot area that he couldn’t see. 2nd GA was just after a giveaway by Leblanc that sent the Toronto guy in on a breakaway. He ripped it top shelf on Carruth. I’ll take the shootout with a grain of salt.
Thanks for the report, good stuff.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
OT ... does anyone know of a decent place near the arena in London to grab lunch or dinner?
Rocks, it's on King st, west of Talbot.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 05:21 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

/\ Thank-you.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 12:10 PM
ChiGuySez
Streak ends 108

The Third Man In tournament article.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Kentti

http://www.jokerit.com/uutiset/?nid=2531

According to Jokerit website, Teuvo Teräväinen is flying to Blackhawk's camp on Monday.

Kentti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 01:15 PM
SNES

vCash: 50
Yesss

SNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 01:22 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

For anyone with Rogers, they're playing the Sens' prospects right now.

The Hawks prospects just failed to score on a 5 on 3.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
For anyone with Rogers, they're playing the Sens' prospects right now.

The Hawks prospects just failed to score on a 5 on 3.
They're going to fit right in with the big club.

Old
09-07-2013, 02:55 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
They're going to fit right in with the big club.
they're 0 for 6 in the PP in the tournament so far...0 for 5 today.

Old
09-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Blue Liner

Been sounding like Svedberg's been having a good game. Showing some dangles on a goal.

Old
09-07-2013, 03:28 PM
BK201

Witney the goalie had at least 2 clutch breakaway saves to keep them in it.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 03:29 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

shalunov scored with about 20 seconds left and how they're half way through overtime

Old
09-07-2013, 03:42 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

hawks lose in the shootout

i thought overall whitney looked good today. so did shalunov. the hawks were pretty badly outshot from what i could tell and the pp was horrible. i think they ended up 0-6 on it, including two separate 3 on 5 opportunities.

Last edited by UsernameWasTaken: 09-07-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old
09-07-2013, 05:58 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Actually Hawks out shot Ottawa. They did take too many penalties though and Ottawa were quite a bit more physical. The usual suspects looked good. IE. Danault and Mcneill. Terry Broadhurst was good as well - the puck seems to follow him. Overall the team showed their skill well and were fast skating. Fournier probably has the most potential when it comes to the typical Hawk dman but he got caught a few times with his head down. There could be a few sleepers on this team that don't necessarily get noticed much today. Players like Gilbert, Froese and Svedberg could surprise in the future.

Old
09-07-2013, 06:23 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:
Actually Hawks out shot Ottawa. They did take too many penalties though and Ottawa were quite a bit more physical. The usual suspects looked good. IE. Danault and Mcneill. Terry Broadhurst was good as well - the puck seems to follow him. Overall the team showed their skill well and were fast skating. Fournier probably has the most potential when it comes to the typical Hawk dman but he got caught a few times with his head down. There could be a few sleepers on this team that don't necessarily get noticed much today. Players like Gilbert, Froese and Svedberg could surprise in the future.
oops

i guess on tv it just seemed like ottawa was doing most of he shooting

Old
09-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Hawkaholic

That Pageau kid is going to be good me thinks. He seemed head and shoulders above most out there.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 07:40 PM
hawksfan50

I watched this game today vs. the SENS rookies...I did NOT see much talent speed or work effort from the usual over hyped numero uno picks McNeill or Danault...a long way from NHLers if ever...disappointed..but I predicted they would not shine in this tourney...even more disappointed in Leblanc..that guy won the Hobey? HOW? Do not see him making the show this year or ever if thzt putrid performance of meh is any indicatkon.. I thought the only forward on our squad that looked like he might become an nhler with a good career because of his effort speed and creativity was Alex Broadhurst...the other forwards of ours on that squad have a long way to develop if ever to get close to what Broadhurst provides...and even he is not making our club this year..but you can see at least his shifts create the most scoring chances...on the other hand I was pleasantly surprised with the potential of Fournier but even more so of big Svedberg..yes Svedberg took some penalties but also scored a shorty to make up for it..but I thought he looked solid and really almost nhl ready..pleasantly surorised.. OK only one game and I did not see the first game vs.Leafs rookies..but my suspicion is that our vaunted Danault and Mcneill are over-rated on our prospect rankings unless you believe in miraculous development miracles..the Sens Pageau puts them to shame as being significant difference-makers and neither is a Selke diffdrence maker defensively either..delusion..but on the other hand maybe we do have better D prospects than I thought...thank goodnrss we have other forward prospects who are currently way ahead of the forwards on this rookies squad..Not nhl ready and maybe never for most of them. Except for Alex Broadhurst. As to the 0 for 9 on the pp and failure even on some 5 on 3s..well what else is new in the Hawks trying to figure out how to make a pp work? On the other hand Svedberg could develop onto a very solid dman and I also liked how he attacked when he decided to go on the offensivel...suspect there could be more there as he gains more confidence and experience on the smaller rinks now..anyway I see potential in him...I see very little from the vsunted McNeil...too slow and disinterested MO...one wicked shot off the post does not make up for a whole game of meh. AND Danault is far impacting as Pageau can for Ottawa that the talent gap between them is immense..In other eord I fear the bust spectre creeping on our two vaunted numrro unos. .I guess we must temper back some of the lauds going Stan's way or must throw into the trash bin some of the overpraise by guys like Button on the Hawks supposed embarrassment of riches in prospects comments..Yes we do have several good prospects but to me McNeill and Danault look more like suspecys..or at least like somebody is gonna guarantee them an nhl job..if they want a job in the show they need to show a lot more talent and a lot more hustle..just my virw from what I have seen both from this supposedly important "test" and from what I saw from them in jrs..I have seen nothing to chamge my mind.. so I fear bust-o-ramas..

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 08:17 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Disregard everything HF50 said. McNeill and Danault haven't been lighting up the scoresheet, but both have been good in different ways.

Whitney was good today. He didn't have chance on any of three goals that were scored on him. He made 2 big breakaway saves to keep the Hawks in it, down 3-2 at the time.

Shalunov's flashed good hands and playmaking in the two games, but he's buried on the 4th line playing with Froese a McGuire.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I don't like Ted Dent. He should not be coaching Pro hockey.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 08:34 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
I don't know about Froese, but David Gilbert looked like a clone of Michael Frolik out there. It was uncanny. He was all effort, non-stop motor, doing good work on the PK and being fairly physical. I couldn't get over how similar he looks to Frolik when he plays.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:48 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySensible View Post
Disregard everything HF50 said. McNeill and Danault haven't been lighting up the scoresheet, but both have been good in different ways.

Whitney was good today. He didn't have chance on any of three goals that were scored on him. He made 2 big breakaway saves to keep the Hawks in it, down 3-2 at the time.

Shalunov's flashed good hands and playmaking in the two games, but he's buried on the 4th line playing with Froese a McGuire.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I don't like Ted Dent. He should not be coaching Pro hockey.
From what I saw of the game today, I thought Shalunov was very noticeable. ... and I was impressed by Whitney...I wasn't concerned about the goals...I thought he looked good.

Old
09-08-2013, 08:27 AM
wladyslaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
I watched this game today vs. the SENS rookies...I did NOT see much talent speed or work effort from the usual over hyped numero uno picks McNeill or Danault...a long way from NHLers if ever...disappointed..but I predicted they would not shine in this tourney...even more disappointed in Leblanc..that guy won the Hobey? HOW? Do not see him making the show this year or ever if thzt putrid performance of meh is any indicatkon.. I thought the only forward on our squad that looked like he might become an nhler with a good career because of his effort speed and creativity was Alex Broadhurst...the other forwards of ours on that squad have a long way to develop if ever to get close to what Broadhurst provides...and even he is not making our club this year..but you can see at least his shifts create the most scoring chances...on the other hand I was pleasantly surprised with the potential of Fournier but even more so of big Svedberg..yes Svedberg took some penalties but also scored a shorty to make up for it..but I thought he looked solid and really almost nhl ready..pleasantly surorised.. OK only one game and I did not see the first game vs.Leafs rookies..but my suspicion is that our vaunted Danault and Mcneill are over-rated on our prospect rankings unless you believe in miraculous development miracles..the Sens Pageau puts them to shame as being significant difference-makers and neither is a Selke diffdrence maker defensively either..delusion..but on the other hand maybe we do have better D prospects than I thought...thank goodnrss we have other forward prospects who are currently way ahead of the forwards on this rookies squad..Not nhl ready and maybe never for most of them. Except for Alex Broadhurst. As to the 0 for 9 on the pp and failure even on some 5 on 3s..well what else is new in the Hawks trying to figure out how to make a pp work? On the other hand Svedberg could develop onto a very solid dman and I also liked how he attacked when he decided to go on the offensivel...suspect there could be more there as he gains more confidence and experience on the smaller rinks now..anyway I see potential in him...I see very little from the vsunted McNeil...too slow and disinterested MO...one wicked shot off the post does not make up for a whole game of meh. AND Danault is far impacting as Pageau can for Ottawa that the talent gap between them is immense..In other eord I fear the bust spectre creeping on our two vaunted numrro unos. .I guess we must temper back some of the lauds going Stan's way or must throw into the trash bin some of the overpraise by guys like Button on the Hawks supposed embarrassment of riches in prospects comments..Yes we do have several good prospects but to me McNeill and Danault look more like suspecys..or at least like somebody is gonna guarantee them an nhl job..if they want a job in the show they need to show a lot more talent and a lot more hustle..just my virw from what I have seen both from this supposedly important "test" and from what I saw from them in jrs..I have seen nothing to chamge my mind.. so I fear bust-o-ramas..
HF50- agreed. I think Danault can/will pan out as a good checking/agitator like Kruger. But both Danault and McNeil are over-rated.

wladyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 08:31 AM
wladyslaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySensible View Post
I don't know about Froese, but David Gilbert looked like a clone of Michael Frolik out there. It was uncanny. He was all effort, non-stop motor, doing good work on the PK and being fairly physical. I couldn't get over how similar he looks to Frolik when he plays.
How does Gilbert's skating/speed compare to Frolik's? To me Frolik's greatest asset was skating/quick/agile.

And how is Shalunov's speed/skating? The guy has hands/shot- put up some nice #'s in Russia. If he can skate- he should be able to pan out for Hawks in future!

wladyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 09:04 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wladyslaw View Post
HF50- agreed. I think Danault can/will pan out as a good checking/agitator like Kruger. But both Danault and McNeil are over-rated.
I think folks need to remember the role that Danault and Mc\Neill will be expected to play at the NHL level. It certainly will not be on the first line playing largely an offensive role, where they were in this tourney. Their strength will be more without the puck then with it - and for me, both dislayed that type of game quite well. The intensity will increase signiicantly when they play the proper role at Hawks camp, I reckon.

In othe words their play in this tourney isn't the best of venues for these players to display their strengths. I was more disappointed in a few of the offensive types that didn't show much wth the puck... but it was only 1 game.

Old
09-08-2013, 04:46 PM
hawksfan50

Well I still say that neither McNeill or Danault looked like they deserve even a look at main camp off what I saw in uesterdays game vs.Ottawa rookies..McNeill looked slow and Danault who played mostly on the same lone with McNeill who was at RW to Danault at centre. ..Danault also did not impact that line even in ability to create chances or even cycle pucks with posession..their line was meh most shifts..Yes they got assists on the goal by Svedberg but one good shift a game is not enough to earn a trip to main camp..they needed in my books to have been much more impactful and good on Most shifts not just the odd one..not even to score but at least to be damgerous....first you gotta impress against your peers...rookies on other teams..if you fail in that then why do you feel they have earned a chance to show they can elevate against nhl vets? The point about such rookies tournaments is to prove...like Saad did last year that you might help the big club..if you do little to impress against this competition level then any expectation you will help the big club soon must be tempered with reality..do not fall for hype just because they were first rounders..nhl histody is loaded with the failures of many first rounders..poinr is I expected a better showing from them in the first two games of the tournament.. Also Pitt rookies overall even worse competition than Ottawa and Toronto rookies squad..so I guess today is their fimal chance to shine more..if they have not..I did not check on that game yet. .but if the vainted hyped pair have not done better today and Leblanc too..then I guess there willneed to be a revision in our prospect rankings..

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Hawkster
The Magic Number

vCash: 694
Danault got some praise on twitter during today's game vs. Pittsburgh.

The Hawks won 3-2. McNeill (SH), Gleason and Froese scored.

Hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote