HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Michael McCarron Thread - Part II : Bigger, Stronger and Meaner

Closed Thread

Old
09-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Dagistitsyn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I'm still choked we didn't draft Justin Bailey.

But in this list..... Likely no one. None of these players have the stand out/dominant skills or abilities to match McCarron's dominant size and overall package.
Yeah, I liked Bailey a lot. Hate Buffalo so much.

Old
09-07-2013, 04:03 PM
25get

Interesting.

In this youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF_u6...etailpage#t=60
Chiarelli says that Weight is more important than height.

We certainly improved weight with Murray and McCarron/Crisp in the pipeline.

Burke says that they did not found stats that allows them to do the same as Sabremetrics in Baseball.

Maybe this has been posted before but I tough it was interesting in view of McCarron weight...

Old
09-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Who would you rather have instead of McCarron at the draft at forward position?

Hartman
Klimchuk
Dickinson
Erne
Petan
Compher
Zykov
Dauphin
Hartman
Klimchuk
Compher
Zykov
Dauphin
Erne

ahead of McCarron. But they all have their own share of question marks. We would have taken anybody on that list, I would have had the same list minus the guy taken....

Old
09-07-2013, 06:34 PM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Hartman
Klimchuk
Compher
Zykov
Dauphin
Erne

ahead of McCarron. But they all have their own share of question marks. We would have taken anybody on that list, I would have had the same list minus the guy taken....
Once Rychel and Gauthier were gone, McCarron was a good bet.
Of all the players you named, only Erne has good size.

We need to see where De La Rose will be in three years to compare with Erne who was picked just one pick before him.
Eller was drafted at 6' and 198lbs. He is now 6'2" and 220 lbs.

M&M was the heaviest player picked in the first round and the only player near his size is Kanzig in third round.
Fact is that McCarron does not need to use his weight against Kanzig: he can skate around him.
There is something about McCarron that may turn great.

For a guy at 237 lbs, M&M is skating very good.
We must remember that his skating improved very much in the second half of last season.
Just waiting to see his lower body be at par with his upper body.

Old
09-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Carey Chant

vCash: 800
I liked McCarron but thought we would be going for him in the 2nd round. He probably would have been gone by the 34th pick so it worked out fine. I really wanted Zykov, he has a great shot, size and finish around the net. I would have taken him over De la Rose but did like the Fucale pick.

Old
09-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Once Rychel and Gauthier were gone, McCarron was a good bet.
Of all the players you named, only Erne has good size.
Again, not against the McCarron pick. It is a good bet. But I would have taken those guys and then see what was available in the 2nd round. In all honesty, I didn't have Fucale in mind for us. Neither De la Rose. So for me, it would have probably be Zykov, Compher and Dauphin as my first 3 picks. And would have gone with a goalie instead of Lehkonen, would have been frustrated to see Jarry go, but would have probably gone with Comrie at that spot, even though Carrier was a big favorite of mine. So maybe I go with Carrier and still hope for an interesting goalie instead of Crips....Hogberg? Bergvik? Though, that's way more a crapshoot instead of the Fucale pick we made. Anyway, their picks might end up the best. Just that personnally, in my mind, I would have bet that McCarron, if I wanted him, would have been available early 2nd round. He would not have been my 1st round pick....but I'm okay with that. Not that they need me to be though....

Old
09-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
... I would have bet that McCarron, if I wanted him, would have been available early 2nd round.
You think some team would not have picked him up quickly? I mean the whole league knows how the Habs didnt pick Lucic when they had the chance in 2006 and now he's a pain in the a** against the Habs. I was hoping big time that they'd pick McCarron myself. Talent is one thing that can be improved, but you cant teach size. Just ask Briere or Gomez or Desharnais!

Old
09-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Tyson

McCarron had to be taken by the Habs and from what I am reading, he seems to be doing well. Crisp is Another player that I am glad was taken. Thank god management finally sees that In Order to compete in this division, Habs have to get bigger.

Old
09-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
You think some team would not have picked him up quickly? I mean the whole league knows how the Habs didnt pick Lucic when they had the chance in 2006 and now he's a pain in the a** against the Habs. I was hoping big time that they'd pick McCarron myself. Talent is one thing that can be improved, but you cant teach size. Just ask Briere or Gomez or Desharnais!
I don't know. Timmins had to think he'd be gone or he probably would have waited to so yes, I guess he could have been taken. Pretty sure though that every team sees a player they'd wish they'd take and yet see another team pick him....ask the Habs with Jordan Subban. Or the Habs with Pageau etc. We decided to trade our 3rd for 2 4th rounders, thinking Pageau would be available and take another guy on top of it all. Instead of taking Pageau in the 3rd. **** happens I guess....

Old
09-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
I don't know. Timmins had to think he'd be gone or he probably would have waited to so yes, I guess he could have been taken. Pretty sure though that every team sees a player they'd wish they'd take and yet see another team pick him....ask the Habs with Jordan Subban. Or the Habs with Pageau etc. We decided to trade our 3rd for 2 4th rounders, thinking Pageau would be available and take another guy on top of it all. Instead of taking Pageau in the 3rd. **** happens I guess....
Jordan Subban is name recognition for fans , that's about it. I'd like to see examples where drafting brothers had any lasting positive impact . Sedins are twins and in a whole unique realm of their own. But the Bures were kept apart mostly , the Kostitsyns were a tired act, nobody has thought to unite the Koivus even though that seems achievable , the Courtnalls , Biron brothers , etc where has anyone thought that Brothers being in the same organization helped the results.

This idea is mostly a fantasy by fans based on thinking about the team as a family. Otherwise it's not a proven formula in any sense.

Old
09-08-2013, 12:11 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Old
09-08-2013, 03:55 AM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Certainly not slow.

Old
09-08-2013, 07:47 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
Quote:
Certainly not slow.
Meh, he's no Hagelin. Bust.

Old
09-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Jordan Subban is name recognition for fans , that's about it. I'd like to see examples where drafting brothers had any lasting positive impact . Sedins are twins and in a whole unique realm of their own. But the Bures were kept apart mostly , the Kostitsyns were a tired act, nobody has thought to unite the Koivus even though that seems achievable , the Courtnalls , Biron brothers , etc where has anyone thought that Brothers being in the same organization helped the results.

This idea is mostly a fantasy by fans based on thinking about the team as a family. Otherwise it's not a proven formula in any sense.
There were once these Richard brothers that made out okay for the Habs. Some Mahovolich guys were also not too shabby.

Chicago had some bums named Hull playing there as well...

Larry Robinson's brother Moe played 1 game for the Habs. His other brother Curly did not get a shot.

Old
09-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Certainly not slow.
maybe not, but the question remains: Can he fight?

Old
09-08-2013, 09:39 AM
samsquanch9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issacar View Post
Isn't very tough if you compare him to a 28 year old man who is physically mature? Or he isn't very tough for his age? I can name a few players who weren't tough in junior but became tough after they started playing pro too...
He didnt really specify. When i asked he did sort of a "ehhh" shrug and said "well hes american, so.."

Old
09-08-2013, 09:47 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
So is there ever gonna be talk about McCarron's hockey ability outside of fighting?
... what do you mean, hockey ability....

Old
09-08-2013, 10:50 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Wasn't that bad. He looked okay in this fight. But anyways, couldn't care less if he fights or not...
I don't know who he's been boxing with, but if he ever lands a punch with his wrist bent back like it's in the video shot here, he'll break his wrist if there's any power behind it. After watching that little tussle, either he was at the end of a shift or he needs lessons and one might be to hold his hands properly when throwing punches. Go Mikey Go!Sorry abhout the video,I didn't quote the OP above, look at Mike's right wrist it's bent away from his body and not curled slightly towards his body.

Last edited by S Bah: 09-08-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old
09-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
If I understand JF ( Michael McCarron n'a rien d'une bombe sur la glace, mais il fonce au filet.), then McCarron went to the net and was tough to move. Which is good, since our entire ****ing team is afraid of the front of the net.

Old
09-08-2013, 11:00 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I don't know who he's been boxing with, but if he ever lands a punch with his wrist bent back like it's in the video shot here, he'll break his wrist if there's any power behind it. After watching that little tussle, either he was at the end of a shift or he needs lessons and one might be to hold his hands properly when throwing punches.
Maybe Semin can give him a few pointers about how to throw punches.

Old
09-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Chant View Post
. He probably would have been gone by the 34th pick so it worked out fine. I really wanted Zykov, he has a great shot, size and finish around the net.
Sounds like both Collberg AND Hudon.. Why would you want more of the same? This is the 1st time since 1995 that the Habs have a COMPLETE prospect pool that doesn't lack anything.

Old
09-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsquanch9 View Post
He didnt really specify. When i asked he did sort of a "ehhh" shrug and said "well hes american, so.."
Well, sounds like a biased judgement agaisnt americans to me. I heard that the Hunters were impressed with him.

Old
09-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I don't know who he's been boxing with, but if he ever lands a punch with his wrist bent back like it's in the video shot here, he'll break his wrist if there's any power behind it. After watching that little tussle, either he was at the end of a shift or he needs lessons and one might be to hold his hands properly when throwing punches. Go Mikey Go!Sorry abhout the video,I didn't quote the OP above, look at Mike's right wrist it's bent away from his body and not curled slightly towards his body.
I wouldn't judge someone's boxing abilities based on that incident.

Old
09-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

This stuff about McCarron fighting has gotten a little out of hand. If he turns out to be a fighter, then he'll probably turn out to be a not-so-great pick.

As I see it, all you really want from a guy like McCarron is a willingness to fight for himself so that he can play a big man's game. Let him make his space around the net. Let him run a few guys into the boards. If he can answer for himself to just about whoever the other team puts on the ice to "send a message", then he'll be fine.

Basically, I think of a true power forward, in the mould of Nolan, Roberts, Shanahan, Neely and others, as a skilled forward with a physical edge who can look after himself against tough players. If McCarron gets anywhere close to those guys -- all 40+ goal scorers, 180+ PIMS -- then he'll be a real asset because in any given game he'll score on you, run your best player, and then punch you back when you send your muscle after him.

I think you really only hope that a guy like him can be enough of a fighter to play fearless. A guy that big, with some decent skill, playing fearless, is going to have an impact on most games.

Old
09-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Sounds like both Collberg AND Hudon.. Why would you want more of the same? This is the 1st time since 1995 that the Habs have a COMPLETE prospect pool that doesn't lack anything.
'Cause at one point, it's not everybody who makes it. I mean, you can't say, don't go and get a pure scorer as we already have Bozon in our pool. I mean, Bozon could be a pure scorer...in the ECHL. And if they REALLY end up all NHL'ers, well then, and I always mention that, you do a Neal for Goligoski type of trade. If your player is so good, you will be able to get a so good player of a different type.

Closed Thread