HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to expect from Steve Mason?

Old
09-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
The Mason extended try-out is palatable because a) he has a competent back-up and b) he's on a very reasonable 1-year contract. Hopefully, Holmgren is busy setting up longer-term plans B, C, D, E, and F.
agreed ..... theres no down side to this tandem, with a huge possible upside

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 03:10 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
And as for being "a trainwreck" of team, well we finished 24-17-7, 3rd best in entire NHL, if you dont count that first month.
I'm going OT here but it bums me out that a .500 winning percentage could be considered 3rd best in the league over any significant stretch of games.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 06:11 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I'm hoping D at this moment, rising to C if he has a great season with the Knights.
I love Stolarz and believe he is a blue chip goaltending prospect. At the same time, I'm not penciling him into the Flyers lineup until the 2015 - 2016 season. He's got a great overall makeup with regards to becoming a possible elite netminder. His athleticism is off the charts, he's got a fantastic work ethic and he's very coachable. At the same time, he's got some flaws in his game that will get exposed at the pro level. Right now, he needs to work on fine tuning the technical aspects of his game. His technique is very raw right now and he relies way too much on athleticism to make saves. Give him the Corey Schneider treatment and let him learn in the minors where he's there to develop and focus on the areas he needs to work on to be successful. Give him another year of junior and a year of the AHL to work out the kinks and then bring him up as a back up and learn from whoever the starter is at that time.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 08:53 PM
BoonesJenner

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
I'm going OT here but it bums me out that a .500 winning percentage could be considered 3rd best in the league over any significant stretch of games.
That record was including the entire season, in my post I stated in the last half of the season, you know, when they went 20-5-5...

Last edited by BoonesJenner: 09-08-2013 at 05:17 PM.
BoonesJenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:47 PM
TheTechNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I'm not expecting lights out from him but at the min an above 90% SV%...... .also no media circus surrounding him hopefully but not holding my breath.
The depressing thing about being a flyers fan is that your goalie having an above 90% SV% isn't even a virtual guarentee. :/

TheTechNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 11:56 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
agreed ..... theres no down side to this tandem, with a huge possible upside
wut? They could suck. Suck really badly. Suck us right out of the playoffs. I'd call that a downside

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 06:58 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
wut? They could suck. Suck really badly. Suck us right out of the playoffs. I'd call that a downside
Surprisingly enough, I'm not worried about the goaltending at all. If anything scares me on this club, it's the defense. Just so many question marks with the current group and Holmgren didn't do enough to upgrade the position. He added Mark Streit, but I don't know if that's an upgrade or a lateral move. Luke Schenn really put it together last year, but the question is, can he do it consistently. Gustafsson is also a question mark in that he played well when he got to play, but did he do enough to secure a top four spot? What about Grossmann and his concussion issues? Is Meszaros over the injury bug and ready to put together a solid campaign? And then there's Coburn, who quite possibly was the worst defenseman on the club last year. Does he bounce back? Nope, far too many question marks at the position for my liking.

Old
09-08-2013, 02:38 PM
flyersfan28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Surprisingly enough, I'm not worried about the goaltending at all. If anything scares me on this club, it's the defense. Just so many question marks with the current group and Holmgren didn't do enough to upgrade the position. He added Mark Streit, but I don't know if that's an upgrade or a lateral move. Luke Schenn really put it together last year, but the question is, can he do it consistently. Gustafsson is also a question mark in that he played well when he got to play, but did he do enough to secure a top four spot? What about Grossmann and his concussion issues? Is Meszaros over the injury bug and ready to put together a solid campaign? And then there's Coburn, who quite possibly was the worst defenseman on the club last year. Does he bounce back? Nope, far too many question marks at the position for my liking.
braydon coburn is underrated why it was not good last years is because he playing with gervais.

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
He may not have had the best year, but come on. Gervais? Huskins? Foster? Lauridsen?

Flyersfan1493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 07:24 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
He may not have had the best year, but come on. Gervais? Huskins? Foster? Lauridsen?
There was nothing wrong with Huskins or Lauridsen. Gervais is what Gervais is and Foster was exiled pretty quickly. Coburn was brutal last season. There is no defense of his play. He was an absolute nightmare last season.

Old
09-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
we have 2 goalies & neither are labelled as 'the savior', yet they each have something to prove
they are both healthy
neither should attract the media circus of the last 2 years
neither have huge long term contracts

if the only 'downside' you can come up with is "they might suck", i'l take that ..... as that could be said for every player in the league.

i'd be more worried that this team might continue to not give 60 minute efforts & continue its overall poor team defensive play ....

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 08:00 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
we have 2 goalies & neither are labelled as 'the savior', yet they each have something to prove
they are both healthy
neither should attract the media circus of the last 2 years
neither have huge long term contracts

if the only 'downside' you can come up with is "they might suck", i'l take that ..... as that could be said for every player in the league.

i'd be more worried that this team might continue to not give 60 minute efforts & continue its overall poor team defensive play ....
Yup, I agree...but it is the ultimate downside, is it not? Ultimate upside is being great, ultimate downside is being terrible. Both are not outside the realm of possibility

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 02:02 AM
iHeartHockey31

Steve Mason is an Awesome Goalie

Comments Removed by Author

Last edited by iHeartHockey31: 02-05-2014 at 08:53 PM.
iHeartHockey31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 05:27 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
That is a fantastic post

I take it you are a member of the Church of Mason?

09-09-2013, 07:22 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHeartHockey31 View Post
Did you watch how differently the Flyers played when he was in the net? When Bryzgalov-The-Terrible was there, we had 5 standing in front because they didn't think he'd be able to stop the puck instead of scoring goals at the other end. When Mason was in net, even the games we didnít win, the team was still playing 100% better.
You had me till here. In terms of shots on goal and other parameters associated with team play/team defense, we were actually worse for Mason than the majority of time with Bryz. I don't hold that against Mason as the team was playing 6-7 guys who really had little business being on a competitive NHL team or were way over extended in terms of lines and minutes.

To me, there was more hustle, but that probably came from the young guys getting an unexpected and important chance (Lauridsen/Gus/Akeson) or the aged players fighting to preserve their careers (Gagne/Huskins/Hall). Motivated to play during a time when other players were packing it in.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 07:56 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Why does everyone think Masey isn't a good goalie?

Before he’d played and games for Philly last season, his career splits vs east teams [Philly's Conference] were a .920 SV%

His career SV% vs teams in our new metropolitan division is .922

Have you watched him play? Even in Columbus? He’s an amazing goaltender. Unfortunately where most goaltenders have 2-3 years in the AHL & then slowly become acclimated to the NHL as a backup goaltender playing against the leagues poor performing teams, he had to do all of his development [making mistakes & learning from them] on television, while being criticized for not being the city's savior. Even mistakes he's made as he learned to be more mature & would go unnoticed in the AHL are forever memorialized on YouTube.

Playing for the worst [statistically speaking] team in the league for his entire professional career likely wasn't what he'd expected to his NHL career to look like.
At some point that all sinks in & probably didn't have him look forward to playing. The media says he lost his confidence, but if you watch some of his later games in Columbus, it looks more like he lost his passion for the game.

While Philadelphia might be known for being hard on their goalies, I don't think there's much we could say / do here that he's not spent the last 4 years hearing. I think playing in a real hockey market with die hard fans in Philadelphia [And Raleigh, & Miami, & Tampa & just about every other arena they visit] is exactly what he needs to find his passion for the game and remember why he wanted to be an NHL goalie.

Did you watch how differently the Flyers played when he was in the net? When Bryzgalov-The-Terrible was there, we had 5 standing in front because they didn't think he'd be able to stop the puck instead of scoring goals at the other end. When Mason was in net, even the games we didn’t win, the team was still playing 100% better. They trusted Mason to his job & they went back to what they do best. Maybe he's won't find himself on the top half of the leaders board but between his helping the D with his puckhandling & the rest of the team confident he'll do his job, at least back to where we were two years ago — scoring more goals than the goalie lets in to win games — with less problems in the locker room.

And he's really bendy. Most goalies in the NHL end up making face down making snow angels when they try to do a split save or cover the post-to-post. Mason can stay upright in a full to-the-ice split with no five-hole.

And he's BIG. He's not just tall at 6’4”, he’s got 220lbs on his frame & when he’s pushing & shoving the other team's crease-crawlers away from the net, I’ve never seen them even try to push back. If you think about if he might just start taking the whole ‘Broad Street Bullies’ moniker to heart, with ‘Sugar Ray’ Emery & Ron Hextall giving him some tips, Philadelphia just might have itself a goalie fight this year. [I’m just trying to figure who his most likely combatant would end up being.]

And who doesn't love a goalie that can handle his stick? He's already got his first point as a Philadelphia Flyers. And during one of the games he played for us, he hit the puck so hard, even AFTER hitting the boards, he's still managed to end up icing the puck.

Stats & athleticism & stick handing aside, Have you seen this boy? He is the single most adorable creature I have ever seen. I don’t think he can make an angry goalie face [a la Robin Lehner] if he tried. He pouts every once in a while but just about every other picture he's got a huge smile showing off his pearly whites with pink rosy cheeks. And sometimes he makes that adorable sad little baby doll face that just breaks your heart. And how precious is it when he does let the puck go in the net & he tries to hide his face with his blocker like how an ostrich buries it's head in the ground & thinks it's invisible. It's like you don't want the puck to go in the net because you don't want him to be sad

Don't say mean stuff about Masey. If he is having a confidence issue, finding out his new city is saying mean stuff before he's done anything wrong here won't help.

For now, let's just write off Columbus as the time he should have spent developing in the AHL, and consider his time in the orange & black as the real start of his NHL career? If he starts to slack off or act like he doesn't want to be there [or holds press conferences to publically show support for dead Russian dictators] THEN it's OK to think he's not any good.

Even if he doesn't play well, he's still be REALLY pretty

I do have 1 Steve Mason related complaint.. How come shop.nhl.com and both the stores at the arena don't sell ladies t-shirts that say MASON #35 on the back of them? It's like I want to give them $60 for an officially licensed NHL ladies vintage burn out tee that has my team's hot goalie's name on it & they won't take my money!

--Dezi
i <3 masey
Welcome to the Flyers board, Mrs. Mason. We are hoping your son redevelops his game here as he was projected at the start of his career.

Last edited by BernieParent: 09-09-2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: "Career", not "season". Duh!
BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 08:55 AM
FreshPerspective
Hextall is a deity!

Quote:
Welcome to the Flyers board, Mrs. Mason. We are hoping your son redevelops his game here as he was projected at the start of his season.
um..that was a creepy post. The innuendo in that post was more pervasive than an episode of Three's Company.

This comment was the most telling...

Quote:
who doesn't love a goalie that can handle his stick?

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 09:01 AM
FreshPerspective
Hextall is a deity!

Quote:
I agree with this..to me the Streit acquisition was a lateral move as I've stated before. He's basically Carle's replacement. However, still no replacement for Pronger which is a "tall" order.

Meltzer the other day had a similar comment but it was mostly related to team D and the forwards helping out. That is going to be on Lavi to instill more discipline and commitment. The run and gun hockey is fine for the regular season but the Flyers as a team are going to have to be much more committed away from the puck if they want to get anywhere...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Codith

I think the team will play a much more efficient game in front of guys they like (Mason+Emery).

Ask yourself, would you give 110% for a guy like Bryz? I know they are paid to do so, but man I would struggle to give a **** for a guy like that.

Like other have said, you could see how the team played for Mason last year, and that is when we had the majority of our D starters out. I think Mason and Emery will work great together, and maybe we can finally develop some goalie chemistry.

I can't expect amazing numbers, but I think we our goaltending will be at least adequate this year, which is much better than what we saw from Bryz.

If Mason has anything to prove, we will know this year.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Hiesenberg

Mason said that Emery and him have discussed ways to use their puck handling skills this season. Apparently the Flyers want them to use it more considering they are both above average handlers.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Codith

Another reason why I believe both are here now, emphasis on getting the puck moving with the system we use. Bryz was probably one of the worst puck handling goalies in the league, which doesn't help our system at all.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 03:42 PM
iHeartHockey31

Last edited by iHeartHockey31: 02-05-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old
09-09-2013, 03:59 PM
ILoveStephanieBrown

Quote:
On that part it wasn't about the stats, it was more a observation from having watched them through the whole season. The TV broadcasters weren't pointing out people being out of position as often when Bryzgalov was there and [based on what I'd hear the broadcaster's say] when Mason was in the net, the team was doing the right things they were supposed to be doing [whether it ended up being effective against the other team from various stats perspectives].
Chemistry. That's the word I'm looking for. The players all seemed to have their chemistry back with each other when Mason was in net. Something seemed off most of this whole season with them. & they looked like they were getting it back with Mason there.
They seemed more confident with him in net as well.

ILoveStephanieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 05:13 PM
iHeartHockey31

Last edited by iHeartHockey31: 02-05-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old
09-09-2013, 10:57 PM
iHeartHockey31

Be Nice to Goalies ...

Last edited by iHeartHockey31: 02-05-2014 at 08:55 PM.