HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Flyers bringing back the Broad Street Bully mentality?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-07-2013, 09:00 AM
  #26
DecadesofFutility
Registered User
 
DecadesofFutility's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Country: United States
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
It never left. That's why the rafters are devoid of Cup banners for the last 35+ years. We still try to play 70s style hockey in the 2010s.
Totally agree, this team still thinks its 70's hockey.
Why else to we draft and sign monsters who cannot skate or score.
But can fight and clutch and grab their quicker opponents.
Its not like I want to see the Ice Capades, but really.
It may sell tickets in Philly, but it fails to win them the holy grail of hockey.

DecadesofFutility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:10 AM
  #27
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
Totally agree, this team still thinks its 70's hockey.
Why else to we draft and sign monsters who cannot skate or score.
Like who?

I think you're the one living in the past.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:12 AM
  #28
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,040
vCash: 500
I really don't see them going for goons or non-skill players significantly more than any other NHL club.

Not sure why some people are so convinced that this is the problem

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:16 AM
  #29
MP92
Catching flies
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
That's right. It wasn't the fact that the Bruins iced 4 great lines, a great defense, and a great goaltender. They bullied their way to a Cup.
The Flyers have had teams just like that in the past minus the goalie (Which I said in my last post). 2010 is a perfect example. Also, are you actually trying to refute that the Bruins didn't and still don't have a broad street bully style type of team? If so, at you.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:01 AM
  #30
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
The Flyers have had teams just like that in the past minus the goalie (Which I said in my last post). 2010 is a perfect example. Also, are you actually trying to refute that the Bruins didn't and still don't have a broad street bully style type of team? If so, at you.
The year Boston won the Cup, they were a well disciplined team that was below league average in PIM. Since then, they have drifted up the penalty rankings, and have failed to win the Cup again. This isn't an accident.

Being "tough" doesn't win hockey games. Scoring goals wins hockey games. The Bruins won a Cup because they scored key goals and had a goalie on fire.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:16 AM
  #31
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
The year Boston won the Cup, they were a well disciplined team that was below league average in PIM. Since then, they have drifted up the penalty rankings, and have failed to win the Cup again. This isn't an accident.

Being "tough" doesn't win hockey games. Scoring goals wins hockey games. The Bruins won a Cup because they scored key goals and had a goalie on fire.
Do not ever overlook you need good old LUCK to win a cup too......Those Bruins could have just as easily lost in the 7th game against Tampa that year...Tampa hit the post a few times etc ..Same with the Blackhawks this year for that matter.Its usually a crap shoot in the end many times.

The Flyers are not even remotely close to being the " bullies" type club as years ago. If we were we could have WON more cups....If todays team was as dominate Physically as the 70s teams and we had a Bernie Parent type goalie we would be right in the hunt , I don.t care what the ' new" NHL is. Intimidation is one hell of a weapon, especially when mixed with talent correctly and used to ones advantage.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:18 AM
  #32
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,427
vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
The year Boston won the Cup, they were a well disciplined team that was below league average in PIM. Since then, they have drifted up the penalty rankings, and have failed to win the Cup again. This isn't an accident.

Being "tough" doesn't win hockey games. Scoring goals wins hockey games. The Bruins won a Cup because they scored key goals and had a goalie on fire.
Conversely, if you saw the playoffs, the two teams who tried to get tough with them lost handily. The two teams who tried to skate around that, one beat them, and the Leafs should have beat them.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 07:26 PM
  #33
flyersfan28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 421
vCash: 500
but watch the flyers
gm: paul holmgren enforcer in 70s
assistant coach: craig berube enforcer in 80s
scout: dave brown one of the best enforcer in 80s
coaching in system: fedoruk and cote good enforcer in 2005
the flyers won their 1 stanley cup with this mentality
i like in the new nhl of today having a player who protect his teammates rosehill,mathers,mcgrattan orr type of player

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 07:38 PM
  #34
LetsGoFlyers1825
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 767
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan28 View Post
but watch the flyers
gm: paul holmgren enforcer in 70s
assistant coach: craig berube enforcer in 80s
scout: dave brown one of the best enforcer in 80s
coaching in system: fedoruk and cote good enforcer in 2005
the flyers won their 1 stanley cup with this mentality
i like in the new nhl of today having a player who protect his teammates rosehill,mathers,mcgrattan orr type of player
What

LetsGoFlyers1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 07:43 PM
  #35
flyersfan28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoflyers1825 View Post
what
1974

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 07:56 PM
  #36
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan28 View Post
1974
What mentality did they use the next season when they won it?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 08:09 PM
  #37
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan28 View Post
but watch the flyers
gm: paul holmgren enforcer in 70s
assistant coach: craig berube enforcer in 80s
scout: dave brown one of the best enforcer in 80s
coaching in system: fedoruk and cote good enforcer in 2005
the flyers won their 1 stanley cup with this mentality
i like in the new nhl of today having a player who protect his teammates rosehill,mathers,mcgrattan orr type of player


I don't understand what type of player they were in their playing days have to do with the job they hold currently?

The Flyers were a physical team back then but they also had talent all over the board with multiple hall of famers. That was more of the over riding factor as to why they one those two Cups back in the mid 70's contrary to popular belief.

In the new NHL the goon is slowly getting phased out so why would you want to occupy a spot in your lineup every night for them?


Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 09-08-2013 at 08:26 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 08:25 PM
  #38
flyersfan28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 421
vCash: 500
the cup of 75 clarke,parent was a solid player but dave schultz was important

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 08:34 PM
  #39
flyersfan28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 421
vCash: 500
the last time toronto made playoff is 2004
last years they have 2 enforcer in their line up they made a playoff

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 08:40 PM
  #40
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan28 View Post
the cup of 75 clarke,parent was a solid player but dave schultz was important
Without Clarke & Parent the Flyers don't win that cup period. Clarke scored the GWG in OT in game 2 which swung the momentum in the Flyers favor to win the next two games & take a 3-1 lead in the series. Parent posted a shutout in game 6 & won the Conn Smythe.

I would say they were far more important than Schultz was when it came to that Cup.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 08:45 PM
  #41
flyersfan28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Without Clarke & Parent the Flyers don't win that cup period. Clarke scored the GWG in OT in game 2 which swung the momentum in the Flyers favor to win the next two games & take a 3-1 lead in the series. Parent posted a shutout in game 6 & won the Conn Smythe.

I would say they were far more important than Schultz was when it came to that Cup.
i agree

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 08:47 PM
  #42
TheTechNoir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 294
vCash: 50
People have been talking about this exact topic basically every season from the time I was young enough to understand it (early-mid 90s)... And the answer has been no every single time. Any part of that mentality that may be present with the team, hasn't just been revolutionarily brought back for the first time during the off-season. It has been the same mentality for a long, long time whether you call that broad street bully mentality or not. I don't.

TheTechNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 08:47 PM
  #43
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan28 View Post
the last time toronto made playoff is 2004
last years they have 2 enforcer in their line up they made a playoff
I heard that same thing all winter long from Don Cherry last year. Surely it had nothing to do with Kessel, JVR, Lupul, Kadri, Reimer etc.


Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 09-08-2013 at 09:15 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 08:51 PM
  #44
flyersfan28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 421
vCash: 500
but dave schultz was great in playoff that years

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 08:55 PM
  #45
flyersfan28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I heard that same thing all winter long from Don Cherry last year. Surely it had nothing to with Kessel, JVR, Lupul, Kadri, Reimer etc.
leafs of 2012 is the same team of the leafs of 2013 but they play orr and mclaren

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 08:59 PM
  #46
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTechNoir View Post
People have been talking about this exact topic basically every season from the time I was young enough to understand it (early-mid 90s)... And the answer has been no every single time. Any part of that mentality that may be present with the team, hasn't just been revolutionarily brought back for the first time during the off-season. It has been the same mentality for a long, long time whether you call that broad street bully mentality or not. I don't.
At times they are guilty of trying to relive the glory days & overvalue a player based on their pugilistic skills (Klotz pick, Shelley contract etc.) but it's not like we employ a team full of goons. Hell we went most of last year without one at least stashed on our active roster until Giroux got popped & Voracek had to fight for him which lead to Rosehill being acquired. Rosehill only played in games after that where we played teams known for being physical & dropping the gloves. As long as other teams are employing guys like Rosehill he'll have a spot on the roster like it or not.

There's nothing wrong with having guys like Hartnell, Simmonds, L. Schenn, Coburn, etc. who bring other skill sets on top of being physical & willing to drop the gloves when needed.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 09:00 PM
  #47
TheTechNoir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 294
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I heard that same thing all winter long from Don Cherry last year. Surely it had nothing to with Kessel, JVR, Lupul, Kadri, Reimer etc.
Of course it didn't. It's just that there isn't a single GM in the NHL right now who is smart. If I were Pittsburgh's GM I would use my amnesty buy-outs on Malkin & Crosby to free-up cap space. Save the owner a lot of money by getting closer to the cap floor and use a bit of it to sign some enforcers. Attempt to send Letang and Martin down to the AHL so that get taken on waivers to open up additional roster spots and trade Neal for a few more enforcers. Would definitely go undefeated in the playoffs en route to the cup.


Last edited by TheTechNoir: 09-08-2013 at 09:09 PM.
TheTechNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 09:02 PM
  #48
TheTechNoir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 294
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan28 View Post
leafs of 2012 is the same team of the leafs of 2013 but they play orr and mclaren
Oh yes that's right. Kadri's ppg pace in 2012 was very welcomed, all of the players being a year older than they were and more experienced was an asset, and JvR was a pleasant acqusition that year.

TheTechNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 09:07 PM
  #49
TheTechNoir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 294
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
At times they are guilty of trying to relive the glory days & overvalue a player based on their pugilistic skills (Klotz pick, Shelley contract etc.) but it's not like we employ a team full of goons. Hell we went most of last year without one at least stashed on our active roster until Giroux got popped & Voracek had to fight for him which lead to Rosehill being acquired. Rosehill only played in games after that where we played teams known for being physical & dropping the gloves. As long as other teams are employing guys like Rosehill he'll have a spot on the roster like it or not.

There's nothing wrong with having guys like Hartnell, Simmonds, L. Schenn, Coburn, etc. who bring other skill sets on top of being physical & willing to drop the gloves when needed.
I think it's fantastic to have guys like Simmonds and Schenn. I also think having a player like Shelley can be an important asset. I mean, a tiny team like Montreal definitely can't compete with a hard checking big, physical team in the later stages of the playoffs. I don't think Phi is like a team of goons at all for the record, I don't think they're anything like the broad street bullies either. I think overall in the past 15 years the team is relatively similar in terms of composition and emphasis or lack thereof on the physicality and all that. I am pointing out how I think it's funny how every off-season ever people talk about this 'philly might be bringing back the broad street bullies!!' theme as if there was a MASSIVE change from the past 25+ years and now the team is actually going to resemble the play style of broad street days. I promise you next off-season someone will talk about this exact same topic with their own reasoning, forget about it a few days later, and repeat it again the next off-season.

TheTechNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 09:12 PM
  #50
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan28 View Post
leafs of 2012 is the same team of the leafs of 2013 but they play orr and mclaren
JVR wasn't. Kadri split time the year before in the AHL & NHL but spent the bulk of it in the AHL. That's two additions to the top 6 along with Jay McClement who was also brought in, he was one of the better shutdown centers in the league last year.

JVR, Kadri, Franson, Kessel, & Reimer all had career years as well. Those were the differences.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.