HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mason Raymond will attend TOR camp

Old
09-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Stephen

vCash: 500
He's almost a hybridized MacArthur and Frattin. Will add the speed of a Frattin, maybe a bit of a utility offensive role of a MacArthur.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 09:36 PM
wandering goat

Raymond seems like he'd be a good fit on the third line, like most people are saying. Would be happy to see him on the Leafs in that role - just concerned about getting Franson and Kadri signed. I want them both as Leafs for a long time, would suck to have to lose one of them for prospects / picks to get under the cap.

wandering goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 09:38 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering goat View Post
Raymond seems like he'd be a good fit on the third line, like most people are saying. Would be happy to see him on the Leafs in that role - just concerned about getting Franson and Kadri signed. I want them both as Leafs for a long time, would suck to have to lose one of them for prospects / picks to get under the cap.
Honestly I'm not worried about losing Franson. It would be nice to keep him but I just don't see him as a core player. Clearly it would be nicer to trade Liles but that may not be an option.

And Franson could probably net us a good prospect or pick in return.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 09:42 PM
smitty10

If he can come in and play on the third line as a winger on a cheap contract I'd welcome it. If not then he's cut and will go play in Europe.

I always like the idea of bringing veterans in on PTO's. Great move depth wise and will push the guys on contract that much harder.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 09:42 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Interesting move. We could use another bottom 6 winger actually
Great move actually. If he can stay healthy and play well enough to make the team he will likely come cheap. If not, they've lost nothing by giving him a tryout.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 09:44 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Newfoundlander View Post
Cue the Nuck fans telling us how useless Raymond is.
Cue a leafs fan crying that Raymond being in camp restricts someone else's ice time and is therefore the dumbest move in the history of the franchise, and one for which Nonis should be fired.

Old
09-08-2013, 09:46 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopranos View Post
Don't like the move AT ALL.

Raymond is soft as feather. Crumbles under pressure and all.
MacArthur fought and hit. Raymond doesn't.

Frazer McLaren and Colton Orr are better to have on our lineup. It makes a difference. These players are (different).

Raymond is not for us, not for anybody really. ****in plug. Pull it.

Well that didn't take long...

Old
09-08-2013, 09:47 PM
diceman934

Why would he attend our Camp?

I say that something is up ....a trade must be happening. I can not believe he would attend without a promise...

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 09:56 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post

I say that something is up ....a trade must be happening. I can not believe he would attend without a promise...
Maybe he doesn't have other options...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:00 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Maybe he doesn't have other options...
Maybe is the key word....but I think it will be clear soon as to why.

If they signed him....and then went to make a trade....the value of the player to be traded goes down a whole bunch, same as if they sign both Franson and Kadri and we go over the cap and have to make a trade.

Old
09-08-2013, 10:01 PM
TMLeafer

Great invite to camp. I was hoping a guy like D'Amigo would get a crack at that 3rd line winger position, but I guess he'll battle it out with Raymond. We need some cheap contracts (or players on ELCs) to round out the forwards group because we have many players up top at over $4M/year + Bolland and Kulemin.

Toronto Maple Leafs: Sustaining unsustainability since 2013. Or... maybe not..
TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post

History with Nonis, Leafs have an open spot at #3LW, maybe no other decent tryout offers ...

The cap going down has screwed over a lot of tweeners, like Raymond. Teams don't have the money, or they don't want to get too close to the ceiling. As a result, he gets left out in the cold.

I wouldn't read into it as a "dominoes" sort of move. He isn't even reflected on our cap right now.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:12 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

do people worry that this was Carter Ashton's one and only shot down the tubes?

D'amigo too i guess.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:16 PM
HeroNtF

If those two don't make the NHL this year for a large portion of the season it just means they will have a huge role on a young AHL team, which isn't a bad thing. Theyre still young, they don't have to be 20 and make the nhl or bust.

HeroNtF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:17 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernier is welcome View Post

D'amigo too i guess.
No. We'll have injuries and those 2 will be at the top of the list to get called up.

And it's just a tryout. 1 of those 2 might beat Raymond out for a spot. Competition is good.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Quote:

D'amigo too i guess.
Carter Ashton is 22 years old and really wasn't on very many peoples' radar as a potential Leaf this season.

He needs to have a very good season for the Marlies next year. Ball's in his court with the mass exodus of veterans from the Marlies forward corps.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Ricky Bobby

I really like this move by Nonis.

If Raymond comes to camp and isn't looking to work out than adios and we lose nothing. If he does well and earns a spot which I think he will he gives us needed depth at the bottom of the lineup and would only being signed if he could fit in for all those worried about the cap.

I feel a lot more comfortable having a 27 year old Raymond who produced good tweener numbers in the NHL not long ago taking the last forward spot over AHL vet Trevor Smith or Jerry D'amigo whose probably more suspect than prospect at this point as he can't even establish himself as a top AHLer.

Injuries happen and the depth will help us. Colborne will probably have some growing pains and need to see time in the pressbox. McClement as much as I like him needs to play in the 4th line center spot 5 on 5 cause he has just absolutely terrible hands but he does bring a lot of value as a the PKer.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Kadri - Clarkson
1 - Bolland - Kulemin
2 - McClement - 3

Colborne/Raymond/Orr/McLaren fight it out for 3 spots and take turns sitting but usually at least one player is always injured so it shouldn't be a big deal. Competition or having an extra asset that another team will give us something for like Brown last season is a great thing.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:28 PM
New Liskeard

Not sure how he fits in cap wise, but good move. Brings back some speed that was lost, would look good with Kulemin and Bolland, and if he is good on the pk as some suggest, he fits in perfectly.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:29 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
If Mason Raymond could play a defensive 3rd line role, I would love to have him... problem is he can't.

Look it doesnt hurt to have a regular NHLer at your camp, but I dont really want to see him signed
Raymond is quite good defensively, as he often played with Kesler who received tough defensive minutes over the last few years. He is also good on the PK. His board work isn't great, but he has good hockey sense and positioning.

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:33 PM
roach9

You guys better hope he doesn't show up in training camp (he usually does, scored a hattie in a pre-season game last year) because Maycy Racey is a terribad hockey player who you will come to hate in 8 months time.

Guar. An. Teed.

Don't mean to burst any bubbles here, just letting you know that for the last 4 years, this is the ONLY Canuck I find myself swearing at on a game-to-game basis.

Great speed. Terrible balance. Terrible hockey IQ.

Put it this way. I think the best addition the Canucks have made this summer is not resigning Raymond.

roach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:33 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:

D'amigo too i guess.
we will go through 30 players before the end of 82 games.

they will get a chance to play

depth is very important in a 82 game season

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:36 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0bjectiveC0mput0r View Post
You guys better hope he doesn't show up in training camp (he usually does, scored a hattie in a pre-season game last year) because Maycy Racey is a terribad hockey player who you will come to hate in 8 months time.

Guar. An. Teed.

Don't mean to burst any bubbles here, just letting you know that for the last 4 years, this is the ONLY Canuck I find myself swearing at on a game-to-game basis.

This is not true at all. Raymond has been the whipping boy for our team for the past year and everyone has a distorted view of him because of him. He looked great with JS this year, before that he was recovering from breaking his back.

So much undeserved hate from Canucks fans

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:36 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
History with Nonis, Leafs have an open spot at #3LW, maybe no other decent tryout offers ...

The cap going down has screwed over a lot of tweeners, like Raymond. Teams don't have the money, or they don't want to get too close to the ceiling. As a result, he gets left out in the cold.

I wouldn't read into it as a "dominoes" sort of move. He isn't even reflected on our cap right now.
I know Nonis drafted him.....I just read a little more into this...as we are not talking about a washed up player, but a player with still lots of hockey in him who played on Vancouver's second PP unit last year. He has put up about 40 points a year...based on PPG.

I think that there is going to be a lot of announcements this week.

Old
09-08-2013, 10:37 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0bjectiveC0mput0r View Post

Guar. An. Teed.

Put it this way. I think the best addition the Canucks have made this summer is not resigning Raymond.
new coach, new start, new great team, only has to do what Carlyle wants.

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:40 PM
wulfio*

kadri replacement obviously

wulfio* is offline   Reply With Quote