HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IV: Top-6 Center Stop Gaps? Super Heavyweights?

Closed Thread

Old
09-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Arpeggio

vCash: 500
I'd put pretty decent money on Hall playing center before they try out Arcobello there.

Old
09-08-2013, 08:59 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Floridas isn't amazing either, crazy young.

Mattias
Barkov
Bjugstad
Goc
Gomez
Whoa, buddy. I'd take that group 10/10 over our "projected starting" group. Maybe even permanently. The Gomez insurance makes all the youth functional, and Goc should be solid in the Gordon slot. All 3 young guys "could" "potentially" be dominant. Someone will emerge! (Bjugstad had a hat trick today)

Old
09-08-2013, 09:03 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
Whoa, buddy. I'd take that group 10/10 over our "projected starting" group. Maybe even permanently. The Gomez insurance makes all the youth functional, and Goc should be solid in the Gordon slot.
In the future, no question. But right now their second and third line ceners have a total of 11 NHL games between them, and their first line C has never scored more than 25 points.

Old
09-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Marco Roy for top C till RNH gets back?

Lets do it!

Replacement? Any comments?

Old
09-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post

Lets do it!

I hope they invite him to camp. If Miller is in the mix, Marco Roy should definitely be as well.

I'd like to see Roy go head to head with Gagner in the Joey Moss Cup.

Old
09-08-2013, 10:26 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

I still think they should just give Gordon a shot. That way you don't mess every one up. Shame Nuge is going to miss a month. probably for the best though.

Hall-Gags-Ebs
Perron-Gordon-Yaks
Jones-Lander-Hemsky

Old
09-08-2013, 10:34 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
I still can't figure out why we didn't sign Antropov when we had the chance

Old
09-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Bushwick Bill

Hall at center please

Old
09-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post

Lets do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
I hope they invite him to camp. If Miller is in the mix, Marco Roy should definitely be as well.

I'd like to see Roy go head to head with Gagner in the Joey Moss Cup.
lol

Oh youse guys.

Marco Roy managed to be -1 despite getting a lucky goal awarded. He was - in every game.

He was -5 in the series, produced nothing at all except the lucky pinball pass going in off a couple nucks. For a guy with hands he's not showing me any finish whatsoever. We played a dozen forwards in this tourney that looked to have a whole lot more puck control and finishing confidence than Roy.

I really doubt I end up seeing this guy again in a game this year except the Golden bears game. Maybe he gets an exhibition game. He's not ready. Would look awful playing against NHL players.

Old
09-08-2013, 11:11 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Replacement how come everybody, media included is raving about Roy and you're seeing him bad?

Old
09-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
lol

Oh youse guys.

Marco Roy managed to be -1 despite getting a lucky goal awarded. He was - in every game.

He was -5 in the series, produced nothing at all except the lucky pinball pass going in off a couple nucks. For a guy with hands he's not showing me any finish whatsoever. We played a dozen forwards in this tourney that looked to have a whole lot more puck control and finishing confidence than Roy.

I really doubt I end up seeing this guy again in a game this year except the Golden bears game. Maybe he gets an exhibition game. He's not ready. Would look awful playing against NHL players.
Why do you keep bringing up the most useless stat in hockey? Yea he was a minus, well the Oilers let in 17 goals in 3 games so no **** he was a minus. You can not sit hear and tell me Roy was a factor in that. The guy was the best player on the ice in every game. Either you didn't pay attention to Roy particularly or you're just arguing for the sake of arguing yet again. I noticed plenty of opportunities when Roy was on the ice and I also noticed a lot of hustle away from the puck. He was throwing hits, playing smart defensively and I even saw him block a couple shots. As the above poster said.. 99% of this board along with people who were covering the tourney have been raving about the kid except for you. Coincidence?

Old
09-08-2013, 11:20 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Replacement how come everybody, media included is raving about Roy and you're seeing him bad?
Because, much like Gagner haters, people see what they want to

Old
09-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Mr Forever

I think he's trolling us for all the years of Gagner hate

Old
09-08-2013, 11:32 PM
belair

While I liked what I saw from Marco Roy in Penticton, Replacement is right when he said that he took some serious punishment. If that's the game he brings into the NHL, he wouldn't last 10 games.

With that being said, it doesn't hurt to add him to the training camp roster along with Nurse.

But if we're ranting and raving about Roy's game, where are we standing on Khaira? Platzer? Chase? Those guys were a bright spot in an otherwise uninspiring tournament from our forwards.

Old
09-08-2013, 11:33 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Why do you keep bringing up the most useless stat in hockey? Yea he was a minus, well the Oilers let in 17 goals in 3 games so no **** he was a minus. You can not sit hear and tell me Roy was a factor in that. The guy was the best player on the ice in every game. Either you didn't pay attention to Roy particularly or you're just arguing for the sake of arguing yet again. I noticed plenty of opportunities when Roy was on the ice and I also noticed a lot of hustle away from the puck. He was throwing hits, playing smart defensively and I even saw him block a couple shots. As the above poster said.. 99% of this board along with people who were covering the tourney have been raving about the kid except for you. Coincidence?
tbh I thought he was ineffectual. Kid reminded me somewhat of another guy that seems very visible, seems to be busy and do a lot, but without accomplishing much of anything. Name is Omark, maybe you've seen him.

Its a results based business. Fact of the matter is a lot more bad things happened on the ice with Roy and not much good happened with him on it. I'm never much impressed by chances. I want finish.

Again plurality means nothing, conventional wisdom is overrated. I see this as a busy player that people want to like. With precious little elsewhere on display he ends being the default liked player. I'm not sold. I see a small ineffectual player that couldn't produce against AHL or worse level goaltending and D.

Wake me up if the kid ever gets to the NHL. Hasn't shown a thing. If he's the offensive leader of this prospects team he sucked in that capacity. Didn't get it done.
Thought he was pretty ordinary on the PP as well.

Frankly Chase to me looked like the best offensive player we had and looks to be harder to play against.

Old
09-08-2013, 11:35 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
While I liked what I saw from Marco Roy in Penticton, Replacement is right when he said that he took some serious punishment. If that's the game he brings into the NHL, he wouldn't last 10 games.

With that being said, it doesn't hurt to add him to the training camp roster along with Nurse.

But if we're ranting and raving about Roy's game, where are we standing on Khaira? Betker? Chase? Those guys were a bright spot in an otherwise uninspiring tournament from our forwards.
Khaira and Chase imo anyway displayed games that would at least potentially translate to the NHL. You simply can't be offering up your head on a platter as many times as Roy was doing and last long. Said that after seeing Roy in the Winnipeg game. Didn't show enough sense to avoid injury. Like I said Hemsky but only worse, because this is a smurf getting drilled.

Old
09-08-2013, 11:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Literally EVERYBODY on this board thought the Raffi Torres for Gilbert Brule trade was gold. People were singing hallelujah here. Most people thinking a change of scenery was all Brule needed. I was saying we just traded for a complete bust. I stated that from the outset. Never wavered because Brule wasn't meant for an NHL lineup. Wasn't prepared in the slightest for it.

just saying, just anecdotal, I realize, but Roy has too much to overcome. Small size, some bad habits not looking out for himself and this from a guy playing in traffic a lot. All I see are mack trucks running him down.

Its one thing to see a kid have a modicum of success playing peers in a prospects game. When you watch what the player is actually doing you have to ask how much of that will be able to transfer to the NHL. Thats what I do.

Old
09-08-2013, 11:41 PM
Lindo

I think I read that Gregor said the training camp list will be out Monday or Tuesday, and that might be interesting to see if they bring anyone on a PTO. If they do, I'm going to guess they bring in any of; Steckel, Connolly, maybe even Cleary.

Old
09-08-2013, 11:44 PM
hallsyoilerforever

I'm concerned about the oilers in their division with their center depth. Can't see any of them being capable of taking faceoffs, other than Gordon. Other teams in our division have guys like Thornton, Kopitar, Getzlaf, etc. I'm not sold on Lander yet.

Old
09-08-2013, 11:50 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Literally EVERYBODY on this board thought the Raffi Torres for Gilbert Brule trade was gold. People were singing hallelujah here. Most people thinking a change of scenery was all Brule needed. I was saying we just traded for a complete bust. I stated that from the outset.
Not a good example.

Without his depression issues and that ludicrous contract given to him after his 'career year', he brought exactly what Torres brought in spades minus the off-ice issues.

To be completely honest, I'm disappointed that we didn't invite him to camp with RNH potentially missing the beginning of the season. He's surely better than Andrew Miller and he can still bring a physical brand of hockey. Something this roster is still seriously lacking.

Old
09-08-2013, 11:55 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
I'd like to see prab rai or Bryan Cameron as reclamation projects albeit maybe too far gone...

I'd assume

Joensuu-Hall-Yakupov
Perron-Gagner-eberle
Jones-Lander-Hemsky
Hamilton-Gordon-brown

Old
09-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
I think I read that Gregor said the training camp list will be out Monday or Tuesday, and that might be interesting to see if they bring anyone on a PTO. If they do, I'm going to guess they bring in any of; Steckel, Connolly, maybe even Cleary.
Steckel, I'd be like "OK, sure"
Connolly, I'd be like "eh, maybe"

Cleary, and I'm like

Old
09-09-2013, 12:05 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Not a good example.

Without his depression issues and that ludicrous contract given to him after his 'career year', he brought exactly what Torres brought in spades minus the off-ice issues.

To be completely honest, I'm disappointed that we didn't invite him to camp with RNH potentially missing the beginning of the season. He's surely better than Andrew Miller and he can still bring a physical brand of hockey. Something this roster is still seriously lacking.
You can PM me for more on this but I already had a good idea of the problems Brule was having years prior to the depression coming out. Not that he was depressed specifically, but that he was clearly having performance related issues and was overwhelmed early and not prepared or ready for the ramp up that the NHL game represents.

Multiple instances of "undisclosed injury" in Columbus that followed games and stints where the player was completely lost out on the ice were in itself a telling story.

I used to watch him play in Columbus, zero in, because something didn't look right to me. Body language, facial expression, reactions, shy to the puck, a talented player not comfortable with the puck. Not taking a pass, bobbling everything. When you see a guy this talented in jr, who is then butchering the puck like he's Belanger something is wrong. Player is not relaxing and overwhelmed. Thing is for Brule the game didn't slow down for him at all. Even a few years into it. he was still a bundle of nerves on the ice. Penner was a good fit for Brule because on the bench he's so damn casual and personable. I think it helped Brule, best he ever played in NHL, but wasn't enough.

Brules goose was pretty cooked before he ever got here. It didn't even get worse here , it actually got a bit better for him here. But still not able to cope.

Nice guy, and I'm not slamming him, but this is the high pressure world of pro sports. you have to be physically and mentally at your very best.

Old
09-09-2013, 12:20 AM
duul

vCash: 50
I'm actually happy Omark is back in the fold. Obviously he struggled defensively but he put up a very decent amount of points and dominates along the boards & behind the net. I'd like to see Omark with Gordon and Hemsky, that is a very talented 3rd line. Until RNH comes back:

Perron-Hall-Eberle
Jones-Gagner-Yakupov
Omark-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu/Smyth-Lander/Smyth-Eager/Brown

Old
09-09-2013, 12:30 AM
Mr Forever

I don't think we need to move Hall to center.

Hall-Belov-Yakupov : Russian connection. Adds size to the line.

**** it!!!

Closed Thread