HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread Part 3: Eskies 3-9, I ain't even mad now

Closed Thread

Old
09-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Kyle McMahon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post
I referred to him as having been somewhat "lame duck" to date in my earlier post, so don't misread me as being an Ed Hervey advocate.

But the facts that the on-field results aren't (yet?) there, and that many were "vehemently against" his hiring in the first place don't serve to distinguish him from his predecessor who'd been granted more than half a season to determine what he can bring to the equation. I'm not saying give Eddie the same length of tenure. Only that I believe it's too early to fire him.

I'm there too, enduring the losing outcomes and the brutal LRT waits. But imo, the closeness of the results themselves are more indicative of a lack of execution than personnel issues.

I can see Kavis answering for the debacle before Hervey. And I'm not sure that this will be happening before season's end.
I think most people would be fine giving Hervey another year if he'd fired Reed a month ago when the season could still have been saved. Instead he chose to sit there watching Kavis blow multiple games one after another and did nothing. When you put friendships ahead of winning it's time to walk the plank yourself.

Old
09-08-2013, 06:47 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

And we watched Kavis lead us to the worst season ever
We lost every line now I can't remember
How a good team looks now its time to surrender
Cause we watched Kavis lead us to the worst season ever

Old
09-08-2013, 06:52 PM
aleshemsky83

Late to the party but man, Hervey is just a first clas A-hole, is there anybody that comes off as more of a jerk than this guy add the fact that hes got 3 wins in 2 years in the CFL and what more can you say,

Old
09-08-2013, 06:54 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Did Hervey trade Ray? No?

Then he's not the worst GM.

Old
09-08-2013, 07:03 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Did Hervey trade Ray? No?

Then he's not the worst GM.
Oh right, forgot about that one, its either Macioiao or Hervey and it isn't even close.

Old
09-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The Bombers have traded Buck Pierce to the Lions for Akeem Foster.

Old
09-08-2013, 08:18 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The Bombers have traded Buck Pierce to the Lions for Akeem Foster.
Said this in the other thread but it's good that he'll finish his career off where he most likely wont play, guys brain is already soup. Hopefully he doesn't develop some terrible disability down the line.

Old
09-08-2013, 08:25 PM
dookers9

Quote:
I hate to pull a Dan Tencer and "blame" the fans but the fans at Commonwealth have been pretty awful for a few years now. Cheering and yelling when the Eskimos are on offense and complete silence when the team is on defense. It's sad.

Look at these Bombers fans. Loud and proud when their team is on defense and needs a stop. What happened to Edmonton football fans? I'm not sure if I can lay the blame solely on Maciocia and Tillman either. Bombers fans have had to deal with a lot of bad teams and heartbreak as well.

Flag ship franchise of the CFL? Hah. Bombers fans and Riders fans are by FAR the best fans in the league.
At kickoff Friday night, it was DEAD. There were plays that evoked no reaction whatsoever from whole sections. Crazy. Disillusioned and anticipating the worst. This is the outcome, I suppose from too many back-to-back months of mediocrity. You can't draw the same comparison, bu how is it that Indy can suck so bad one year, and within 2 years be respectable again? In ALL sports, we've been blowing for far too long, and you can't blame the fans for their lack of enthusiasm. Too many kicks...

And it can't help that we'd had a sense of entitled expectation for victory for as long as we did, with everything we used to touch having turned to gold.

But anyone still referring the the Eskimos as the league's "flagship franchise" needs to get off the crack. That era ended long before the Ray trade, unlike how some will suggest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I think most people would be fine giving Hervey another year if he'd fired Reed a month ago when the season could still have been saved. Instead he chose to sit there watching Kavis blow multiple games one after another and did nothing. When you put friendships ahead of winning it's time to walk the plank yourself.
Kavis has made too many bone-headed decisions, and the fact that he's been open to be held accountable for them has run its course. I agree that the friendship bond serves as the anchor here, and that the proper course of action some time ago would have been an exit for Reed rather than an extension. Hervey missed it, and has set us up for another batch of brutal football by season's end. But for right or wrong, he'll be the GM for next year and we'll see what state we're in then, post-Reed.

Old
09-08-2013, 08:33 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
Said this in the other thread but it's good that he'll finish his career off where he most likely wont play, guys brain is already soup. Hopefully he doesn't develop some terrible disability down the line.
While the corrolation between quality/quantity of hits and extent of cognitive function lost isn't direct, having watched Pierce take the damage he has in his career, you HAVE to put money on him suffering some significant deterioration of capacity down the road.

He's been a trooper, having played on some questionable Bombers squads that have really brought on some punishment. Whatever chances he gets in BC will at least be garnered behind a more solid O-line.

Old
09-08-2013, 09:29 PM
AJGass4

LOL, only the Eskimos cannot pull an upset. Kudos to Winnipeg and Hamilton for showing up for games against two of the best teams in the West.

Us, blah. We can't do anything right this season. Back to back losses to Winnipeg would almost be fitting this season.

For the first time ever, I am embarrassed to be a fan of the Esks.

Old
09-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
I hate to pull a Dan Tencer and "blame" the fans but the fans at Commonwealth have been pretty awful for a few years now. Cheering and yelling when the Eskimos are on offense and complete silence when the team is on defense. It's sad.

Look at these Bombers fans. Loud and proud when their team is on defense and needs a stop. What happened to Edmonton football fans? I'm not sure if I can lay the blame solely on Maciocia and Tillman either. Bombers fans have had to deal with a lot of bad teams and heartbreak as well.

Flag ship franchise of the CFL? Hah. Bombers fans and Riders fans are by FAR the best fans in the league.
Gee I dunno, 8 years of having garbage rammed down our throats? You've been around here for these last few years of terrible football at least, and a fair bit longer than that I would presume. Do you still feel the same sense of pride in this club today as you did in say...2004?

While they have fielded some crappy teams, the Bombers have still played in two Grey Cups in the last six years. We're now 8 years removed from our last appearance. In an 8-team league.

We might finally have hit rock bottom. As long as I have been following this team, we have never gone into the Labour Day series eliminated from the playoffs for all intents and purposes. How are the fans supposed to get excited?

Yeah they were boisterous in Winnipeg today, but here's the thing: For starters, the Bombers aren't completely out of the playoff picture. Hell, they're two wins and two Alouette losses away from being in the playoffs. If the Eskimos had gone into Friday at say 3-6 instead of 1-8, the game would have had an entirely different feel to it.

Secondly, the Bombers organization stepped right up and said failure is unacceptable weeks ago. The GM was fired. The offensive co-ordinator was fired a couple weeks later. That organization refused to simply pull their pants down and bend over. If Reed and his staff had been fired in August, I suspect there would be more enthusiasm as it would at least show the organization wasn't going to take losing in stride.

The Reed extension the day after getting shellacked in the home opener was a MASSIVE middle finger to the fans. This organization doesn't deserve to have anybody show up at their games period, much less arrive in high spirit and cheer on a bumbling 1-9 squad. We've won two Grey Cups in 20 years, leading the league in attendance in almost all of those years. The fans have been extremely patient, too patient in fact. We managed to lead the league in attendance during the Maciocia years FFS. There comes a time when you've simply been booted in the nuts once too often.

Flagship franchise isn't necessarily to do with the fans, although leading the league in attendance year after year certainly helps. The league would have folded 25 years ago if not for the Eskimos covering payrolls and paying the bills for just about every other club in the league at one point or another. That's why they're the flagship franchise. Although I must say, the old ****liner is listing hard to starboard after 8 years of sailing straight through the eye of a ****icane.

Old
09-09-2013, 08:38 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Gee I dunno, 8 years of having garbage rammed down our throats? You've been around here for these last few years of terrible football at least, and a fair bit longer than that I would presume. Do you still feel the same sense of pride in this club today as you did in say...2004?

While they have fielded some crappy teams, the Bombers have still played in two Grey Cups in the last six years. We're now 8 years removed from our last appearance. In an 8-team league.

We might finally have hit rock bottom. As long as I have been following this team, we have never gone into the Labour Day series eliminated from the playoffs for all intents and purposes. How are the fans supposed to get excited?

Yeah they were boisterous in Winnipeg today, but here's the thing: For starters, the Bombers aren't completely out of the playoff picture. Hell, they're two wins and two Alouette losses away from being in the playoffs. If the Eskimos had gone into Friday at say 3-6 instead of 1-8, the game would have had an entirely different feel to it.

Secondly, the Bombers organization stepped right up and said failure is unacceptable weeks ago. The GM was fired. The offensive co-ordinator was fired a couple weeks later. That organization refused to simply pull their pants down and bend over. If Reed and his staff had been fired in August, I suspect there would be more enthusiasm as it would at least show the organization wasn't going to take losing in stride.

The Reed extension the day after getting shellacked in the home opener was a MASSIVE middle finger to the fans. This organization doesn't deserve to have anybody show up at their games period, much less arrive in high spirit and cheer on a bumbling 1-9 squad. We've won two Grey Cups in 20 years, leading the league in attendance in almost all of those years. The fans have been extremely patient, too patient in fact. We managed to lead the league in attendance during the Maciocia years FFS. There comes a time when you've simply been booted in the nuts once too often.

Flagship franchise isn't necessarily to do with the fans, although leading the league in attendance year after year certainly helps. The league would have folded 25 years ago if not for the Eskimos covering payrolls and paying the bills for just about every other club in the league at one point or another. That's why they're the flagship franchise. Although I must say, the old ****liner is listing hard to starboard after 8 years of sailing straight through the eye of a ****icane.
To me it's simple. They had DM who was a moron and people wanted gone for years they then hired Tillman(which I didn't mine), which pissed off a lot of people. Then they decide to give Reed another chance as he was given a fair shot. Again I think I can live with this, but then to go ahead and extend him the way they did just pushed more fans away.

Curious to see what happens next. Seemed like last week was Hervey's warning signal to a lot of people, if he doesn't follow through then it's time for him to be fired as well. You just can't continue to have a loser mentality with no sign of hope going into next year, something needs to be done now to get things going the right way.

Old
09-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Halibut

Despite having lost a huge chunk of their fanbase and giving the fans no sign of hope this team is second in the league for average attendance. **** off with pissing on the fans for putting up with this ****, they're lucky they have as many people still paying for tickets as they get. This team would have sub 10k attendance if it was in Toronto and sub 20k anywhere in the league except maybe Saskatchewan and Winnipeg.

Give the fans a reason to cheer and maybe they'll cheer. Play this bad for this long you deserve stunned silence at best an empty stadium at worst.

Old
09-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:

Had to laugh at this when I read it, but sadly, you knew it wouldn't be long before someone on here decided it was our, the fans fault for the Eskimos problems. A horrible fan base that has led the league in attendence for almost forever with one of the worst, if not THE worst organizations in the CFL. A team with the worst record in the league, a team that hands out extensions to it's fumbling, bumbling coach instead of canning him like other outfits do. A team who trades their star QB for magic beans for absolutely no reason. A team that goes through GM's like a kid through candy. A team that trades away 1st round picks the same way.

But ya, blame the fans for the mess.

Old
09-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Not even close, you forget about DM??? Come on, you can hate Tillman for one trade but Hervey and DM don't even come close to Tillman.
Which Tillman trade are you referring to, the RR one, or the 1st round pick for Frodo?

Old
09-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:

This is a great point. The Bombers aren't treating their fans like idiots.

Old
09-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Besides the losing and the proverbial kicks in the nuts, I also think that the apathy is a generational thing. A lot of my older family members still get really excited about CFL games and the Eskimos in general but most of my friends can't be bothered with them. When we won the Grey Cup in 2005 I got more than a few "Oh, really? That's cool" reactions from people when I mentioned it the next day.

The Eskimos simply aren't that important to this generation.

Old
09-09-2013, 01:34 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Besides the losing and the proverbial kicks in the nuts, I also think that the apathy is a generational thing. A lot of my older family members still get really excited about CFL games and the Eskimos in general but most of my friends can't be bothered with them. When we won the Grey Cup in 2005 I got more than a few "Oh, really? That's cool" reactions from people when I mentioned it the next day.

The Eskimos simply aren't that important to this generation.
That's what happens when you put a crap product on in a time when there is access to numerous different sports. In today's day and age putting a poor product up for even 1 year could lead to people finding something better to watch.

And no it's not the same for hockey. People grew up playing hockey, football not so much.

Old
09-09-2013, 01:39 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

are you guys so frustrated you can't even be bothered to change the thread title to update the record?

Old
09-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
That's what happens when you put a crap product on in a time when there is access to numerous different sports. In today's day and age putting a poor product up for even 1 year could lead to people finding something better to watch.

And no it's not the same for hockey. People grew up playing hockey, football not so much.
Do we really? Like you said, it's not the same for Oilers, for hockey. Fans march to those games like lemmings and it's not like we have an NBA team or an MLB team to cheer for.

The Oil Kings have helped me through these extended lean times but again, it's hockey.

Old
09-09-2013, 01:49 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Blunderbore View Post
are you guys so frustrated you can't even be bothered to change the thread title to update the record?
I think everyone stopped caring about the Eskimos.

Old
09-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Beerfish

The game experience itself has deteriorated a lot over the years, winning or losing not withstanding. I'd be just as happy as can be if they served no booze at all at games.

Old
09-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
The game experience itself has deteriorated a lot over the years, winning or losing not withstanding. I'd be just as happy as can be if they served no booze at all at games.
If they did this, they would be waving goodbye to probably half of their game revenue.

Old
09-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Krut

Quote:
Do we really? Like you said, it's not the same for Oilers, for hockey. Fans march to those games like lemmings and it's not like we have an NBA team or an MLB team to cheer for.

The Oil Kings have helped me through these extended lean times but again, it's hockey.
It's because CFL is perceived as bush league by the younger generation. I'm 23 and I have numerous friends that watch NFL religiously, but scoff at any mention of the CFL. I have one buddy who's a Bears fan that got mocked throughout the offseason because they hired Trestmann as their HC for no other reason than he came from the CFL.

In the NFL you have sold out 80,000 seat stadiums, superstar players, 32 teams and top notch TV coverage. You have none of that in the CFL, which unfortunately leads it to getting dismissed.

Old
09-09-2013, 02:22 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
It's because CFL is perceived as bush league by the younger generation. I'm 23 and I have numerous friends that watch NFL religiously, but scoff at any mention of the CFL. I have one buddy who's a Bears fan that got mocked throughout the offseason because they hired Trestmann as their HC for no other reason than he came from the CFL.

In the NFL you have sold out 80,000 seat stadiums, superstar players, 32 teams and top notch TV coverage. You have none of that in the CFL, which unfortunately leads it to getting dismissed.
Then they don't know what they're missing. The athletes aren't as good but the rules make for a faster, more exciting game.

I'm now cheering for the Bears so those dolts can see that good things come out of this league.

Closed Thread