HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tom Gilbert may be headed for Switzerland

Old
09-08-2013, 12:03 PM
ManofSteel55

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
No. He is about the same maybe slightly better. Gilbert is nothing more than a 6-7 guy now on a good team with PP ability that is above average. Good for the right team and on a smaller contract.
Based on? He was a decent 4-5 guy before his illness took so much out of him last year. I don't think you can say that all he has left is the level of play that he had after an illness that affected his game so much.

ManofSteel55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:11 PM
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gberg View Post
I really don't think it's money, he's not going to be making very much in Europe, probably much less than the league minimum.
League minimum is 525'000$. Taxes take away almost 50% in NA so that only leaves 212'500$ so he would definitely make more than that in any top European league.

SCBdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:02 PM
TomGilbert2point0

TomGilbert2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:02 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep View Post
I'm completely shocked, he isn't even a bad player. Certainly better than the likes of Mark Fistric, Nick Schultz and Corey Potter, who are all signed to 1-way contracts.
I'm not...with the reduced salary cap, there aren't many teams out there with enough space to sign a player like him...and he's not the only one out there..Has Brendan Morrow signed with anyone yet?

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:03 PM
neutral*

Switzerland is a great place to live and play. Good for him.

neutral* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:08 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Knowledge View Post
Switzerland is a great place to live and play. Good for him.
With all respect, not for an NHL calibre player. The Matterhorn, chocolate, and watches are all great. But the hockey - relatively speaking - is not.

If he ends up there, he'll no doubt flash a grin and say all the right things, but it's a contract on THIS continent he's after.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Copper N Blue
Rookie User

Suprised he may go to europe, not a bad defenseman but he was soft. I hope he never wears an oiler jersey again, but I wish the guy all the best finding an nhl job.

Copper N Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post
With all respect, not for an NHL calibre player. The Matterhorn, chocolate, and watches are all great. But the hockey - relatively speaking - is not.

If he ends up there, he'll no doubt flash a grin and say all the right things, but it's a contract on THIS continent he's after.
IIRC most of the salary for Swiss hockey players is tax free, plus you're playing in a fantastic country, plus he'd be a superstar there, plus he'd make good money.

And you didn't mention the frickin' cheese...c'mon.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
Based on? He was a decent 4-5 guy before his illness took so much out of him last year. I don't think you can say that all he has left is the level of play that he had after an illness that affected his game so much.
Based on me watching him for over 60 games a season since he has been in the league. He is Potter with better hair.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 06:37 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
I'm starting to think that Joe Corvo or his agent was really smart this off season.

Some good, second tier or third tier guys like Gilbert, White, Hainsey, Coliacovo, etc.. are all unemployed while Corvo will be pulling down 900K on an NHL team and Corvo isn't appreciably better than any of them.

Sure it was a pretty big paycut, but by taking the first legitimate offer, Corvo will be playing in the NHL next year while the guys who are waiting for a better offer will likely be waiting all season and hoping their KHL or Swiss league play will earn them a spot on an NHL squad next year.

With the cap crunch, teams simply don't have the money to afford second tier guys and they'll likely end up without contracts because they misunderstood the market.
Benoit Pouliot did the same thing. He took at $500,000 pay cut and signed with the Rangers on the first day of free agency. Pouliot never saw the $1.8M in the lockout year. The other guys are still waiting for teams to clear money so they can get their $2M which is not happening. First come. First served. Dan Cleary was offered a contract by the Wings in June. He rejected it. Damien Brunner. He also rejected the Wings offer. The money dried up. Both Cleary and Brunner are not signed and camp starts in 2 days.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 08:45 AM
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post

There's a lot of players in the NHL that play there because they couldn't play a top role in the NHL. They prefer to be a 1st line/pair guy in the NLA than being a 4th line/3rd pair guy in the NHL. Especially with the other benefits of less travel and decent (almost tax-free) pay. NLA is probably the 3rd best league in the world right now (after NHL/KHL of course) so hockey here isn't bad at all either.

SCBdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Based on me watching him for over 60 games a season since he has been in the league. He is Potter with better hair.
Ah, an Edmonton fan.

Gilbert was terrible for the Oilers because of his supporting cast (nobody). He had the occasional turnover, but was a solid 2nd pairing guy for the Wild. The majority of his ice time was shared with Jared Spurgeon and Jonas Brodin.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 10:37 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
With an analysis like that, I question if you really watched him for 6 games a year, let alone 60. There are very few things you can use to compare Potter and Gilbert. Very few. Gilbert is better in almost every way. Far superior offense, especially passing, better defensive play, although that's nothing to write home about for either player, and comparable numbers of bad giveaways despite playing a much larger role on the team. SureTom Gilbert has flaws as a player, but nobody is claiming that he is a superstar. He is very much an NHL caliber defenseman. Corey Potter is not.

Old
09-09-2013, 10:38 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Ah, an Edmonton fan.

Gilbert was terrible for the Oilers because of his supporting cast (nobody). He had the occasional turnover, but was a solid 2nd pairing guy for the Wild. The majority of his ice time was shared with Jared Spurgeon and Jonas Brodin.
He wasn't horrible in Edmonton either. He is a scapegoat to a lot of fans, but he was always a decent second pair option for us, and often had to play above his ability here.

Old
09-09-2013, 10:42 AM
416Leafer

That's surprising. I would take him over Brennan (who the Leafs already signed).

In fact, I would have been interested in trading Franson for a decent package of picks/prospects, and then signing a guy like Gilbert to a 1-2 year deal to buy time until Rielly/Percy/Granberg/etc are able to take on larger roles on the big club.

A move like that would have given us the capspace needed to get pretty much all our RFAs/UFAs signed over the next 12 months going into next summer.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 10:54 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Holt View Post
He has some weaknesses in his game, but... he isn't a bad player. Funny that Gill, a notably worse player, received an opportunity while Gilbert hasn't.
Gilbert is looking for a lot more money than Gill. If he takes Gill money on a "sacrifice" 1 year deal, like a humble man, guaranteed he plays in the NHL this season.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 12:20 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
He never clears the net and makes dumb decisions in his zone.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 01:12 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Quote:
I'm an Oilers fan and I'll tell you right now Gilbert is a much better player than Potter, it's not even comparable.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
He wasn't horrible in Edmonton either. He is a scapegoat to a lot of fans, but he was always a decent second pair option for us, and often had to play above his ability here.
Exactly how he performed in Minnesota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Also true. Hence why he's a decent second pairing guy.

Last edited by Minnesota: 09-09-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 02:15 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Nobody ever said he was perfect. He was an offensive 4/5 guy. If he had his offense and didn't have the glaring holes in his defensive game, he would have been a 2/3 guy.