HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IV: Top-6 Center Stop Gaps? Super Heavyweights?

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2013, 12:34 AM
MessierII

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Literally EVERYBODY on this board thought the Raffi Torres for Gilbert Brule trade was gold. People were singing hallelujah here. Most people thinking a change of scenery was all Brule needed. I was saying we just traded for a complete bust. I stated that from the outset. Never wavered because Brule wasn't meant for an NHL lineup. Wasn't prepared in the slightest for it.

just saying, just anecdotal, I realize, but Roy has too much to overcome. Small size, some bad habits not looking out for himself and this from a guy playing in traffic a lot. All I see are mack trucks running him down.

Its one thing to see a kid have a modicum of success playing peers in a prospects game. When you watch what the player is actually doing you have to ask how much of that will be able to transfer to the NHL. Thats what I do.
If we were banking on Roy to make the NHL this year you'd be right. He's a 5 year project. When he's 6'2" 205 let's see what happens.

Old
09-09-2013, 01:23 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Literally EVERYBODY on this board thought the Raffi Torres for Gilbert Brule trade was gold. People were singing hallelujah here. Most people thinking a change of scenery was all Brule needed. I was saying we just traded for a complete bust. I stated that from the outset. Never wavered because Brule wasn't meant for an NHL lineup. Wasn't prepared in the slightest for it.

just saying, just anecdotal, I realize, but Roy has too much to overcome. Small size, some bad habits not looking out for himself and this from a guy playing in traffic a lot. All I see are mack trucks running him down.

Its one thing to see a kid have a modicum of success playing peers in a prospects game. When you watch what the player is actually doing you have to ask how much of that will be able to transfer to the NHL. Thats what I do.
Lol pretty arrogant statement . You're trying portray yourself as some scout expert , Does not surprise me though how many hats you wear claiming to be a expert from city planning to arena construction to scouting cfl as well as all Nhl players , and what is truly impressive is you aced all these professions while spending 18 hrs a day on the net arguing with anyone who will take your bait.

Old
09-09-2013, 03:25 AM
duul

vCash: 50
Dallas Eakins is the best thing that will happen to these kids. I personally played up until junior level hockey and I find it easy to tell what coaches are the best. The Babcocks, the type that don't take **** from their players. They hold everyone accountable, and are menacing. I would hate to be the kid who has to pick up one of his daughters and bring them to the school dance in 10 years. He is a scary guy, but he is extremely respectable. He is active and apparently works out with his players just as much as they do.

I believe he is genuine in saying he doesn't care about your tenure or $$$ or skill level, if you're not competing then you're not going to play. Expect to see some top players on our team sit some games through the season if they try and take a night off.

The best part is, the players should end up loving him. The beginning might be rough but the satisfaction of winning games and coming together as an actual team will feel amazing for the players. They're going to grow in ways this team hasn't seen since the 80's. He's a rookie coach but his personality is no nonsense, and he coached winning teams in the AHL already and has only had raving reviews from all his players. He will earn his respect just like the players will.

Old
09-09-2013, 06:07 AM
oilphan

Quote:
tbh I thought he was ineffectual. Kid reminded me somewhat of another guy that seems very visible, seems to be busy and do a lot, but without accomplishing much of anything. Name is Omark, maybe you've seen him.

Its a results based business.
Interesting. Most Omark detractors say that he was ineffectual despite his strong numbers. 26 points in 51 games is a pretty decent year in the nhl. I fail to see the correlation between the two players.

If in fact it is a results based business, and you want finish, Omark certainly deserves his shot again. His better than .5 ppg in 2010-11 is better than the average NHLer.

I think this just shows that there is always a way to spin in a positive or negative way. I'm sure you will have a reason why another set of numbers shows otherwise.

Old
09-09-2013, 09:04 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Cleary isn't coming to Edmonton. Spec went over this last week. MacT doesn't think he has the legs anymore and said he wasn't calling him.

That and why would he come here? He will try get on with a contender.

Old
09-09-2013, 09:06 AM
joestevens29

Also what the hell is with the talk of our 2nd rounder from last year making this club? Where did this all of a sudden come from? He score a hat-trick and get into a scrap last night?

Old
09-09-2013, 09:22 AM
spot

Has anyone heard if Smithson will be attending our camp? I think I would prefer him this year to Lander. His FO % is respectful as well. Good center depth addition.
I would like to see these lines:

Hall Gagner Yakupov
Perron RNH Eberle
Omark Gordon Hemsky
Eager Smithson Jones
Brown
Smyth

Old
09-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Has anyone heard if Smithson will be attending our camp? I think I would prefer him this year to Lander. His FO % is respectful as well. Good center depth addition.
I would like to see these lines:

Hall Gagner Yakupov
Perron RNH Eberle
Omark Gordon Hemsky
Eager Smithson Jones
Brown
Smyth
Smithson does nothing, really, and isn't really a much better option then Lander on the 4th line. Might as well bring in Steckel

Old
09-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Usual_Suspect

@Russostrib
Sources: Veteran center David Steckel signed by #mnwild to pro tryout http://t.co/goAO7HL4g1

Old
09-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

I know people think he's garbage but I wouldn't mind signing or at least a PTO to Tim Connelly. I think he could be a good center for the 3rd/4th line and if things don't pan out, send him down. He'd be a good replacement for RNH until he comes back. He could be our Scott Gomez.

Edit-Derp. I mean Scott, not steve

Old
09-09-2013, 09:45 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Smithson does nothing, really, and isn't really a much better option then Lander on the 4th line. Might as well bring in Steckel
Apparently Steckel is the dumbest player in the NHL. Which I find a bit odd as I've liked him when i saw him play. Really all we need out of him is for him to win some draws and not get pushed around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
I know people think he's garbage but I wouldn't mind signing or at least a PTO to Tim Connelly. I think he could be a good center for the 3rd/4th line and if things don't pan out, send him down. He'd be a good replacement for RNH until he comes back. He could be our Scott Gomez.

Edit-Derp. I mean Scott, not steve
I'd almost do it as well. He only needs to stay healthy for about the first 10 games anyway.

Old
09-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Apparently Steckel is the dumbest player in the NHL. Which I find a bit odd as I've liked him when i saw him play. Really all we need out of him is for him to win some draws and not get pushed around.

I'd almost do it as well. He only needs to stay healthy for about the first 10 games anyway.
Exactly. He would be a temporary fix. And if for some reason plays really well, keep him on the 3rd/4th and give him PP/PK minutes here and there. He knows he'll get less than a mill this year and this is a year to prove himself again.

Old
09-09-2013, 09:47 AM
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I agree that he is not the greatest 4th line center but I think currently be is stronger and more able to win a face off over Lander.

Old
09-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Paralyzer008

I have just the worst feeling that MacT would give Marty Reasoner a tryout. Hope that I'm wrong, guy is awful

Old
09-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Mr Sakich

Paralyzer, I asked about Tim Conolly on the main board. Apparently, he had a bad attitude when sent to the Marlies last year. Considering Eakins was his coach, I doubt if the Oilers are now interested. Too bad because he would have been a decent fit

Old
09-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
Paralyzer, I asked about Tim Conolly on the main board. Apparently, he had a bad attitude when sent to the Marlies last year. Considering Eakins was his coach, I doubt if the Oilers are now interested. Too bad because he would have been a decent fit
Well, I guess if he has attitude problems, but at this point in his career, he needs to get out of that if he wants to sign a multi-million dollar contract again.

Old
09-09-2013, 09:55 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Well, I guess if he has attitude problems, but at this point in his career, he needs to get out of that if he wants to sign a multi-million dollar contract again.
Quote:
Forgot about that angle. Odds are Connolly probably has a better attitude now, but Eakins might not want to deal with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I have just the worst feeling that MacT would give Marty Reasoner a tryout. Hope that I'm wrong, guy is awful
I said this a few weeks ago, still won't surprise me.

Old
09-09-2013, 09:55 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
How on earth would Tim Connolly be a good fit?

If the lionshare of any players usefulness is offense, then they are not a good fit on the Oilers in general (without being a significant upgrade on what is present) - but when you factor in his injury history and his general soft play - I can't think of many players that would be worse fits.

Shutdown forwards is what we need for the bottom six. Think linemates for Gordon, not Ales Hemsky.

Old
09-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Usual_Suspect

@AnsarKhanMLive Daniel Cleary said he's deciding between two teams. Wings aren't one of them. Hopes to make decision today.

Old
09-09-2013, 10:05 AM
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
@AnsarKhanMLive Daniel Cleary said he's deciding between two teams. Wings aren't one of them. Hopes to make decision today.
Stars?

Old
09-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
How on earth would Tim Connolly be a good fit?

If the lionshare of any players usefulness is offense, then they are not a good fit on the Oilers in general (without being a significant upgrade on what is present) - but when you factor in his injury history and his general soft play - I can't think of many players that would be worse fits.

Shutdown forwards is what we need for the bottom six. Think linemates for Gordon, not Ales Hemsky.
Good fit for the first month. Better than Gordon doing 2nd line minutes...IMO.

Old
09-09-2013, 10:07 AM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I still think they should just give Gordon a shot. That way you don't mess every one up. Shame Nuge is going to miss a month. probably for the best though.

Hall-Gags-Ebs
Perron-Gordon-Yaks
Jones-Lander-Hemsky
LOL, putting Gordon in the top 6 automatically messes everyone up.
If the Oilers are trying to be Bad for Ekblad then they should try Gordon in the top 6.
I really hate the idea of moving Hall to center but that would seem like the logical move until RNH is back.

Hemsky-Hall-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov

Gordon should never EVER see top 6 time unless Gagner does down as well.

Old
09-09-2013, 10:15 AM
ZedenoCiger

Steckel is going to Minny on a PTO

Old
09-09-2013, 10:38 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Good fit for the first month. Better than Gordon doing 2nd line minutes...IMO.
There was never a danger of that happening.

Last edited by SK13: 09-09-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old
09-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedenoCiger View Post
Steckel is going to Minny on a PTO
boo... minus the foot speed he wouldve been ideal for 4th line

Closed Thread