HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Rookie camp roster (September 5-9)

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2013, 11:53 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

vCash: 500
Jesus Fucale is being destroyed.

Old
09-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Team White = Team Bust

Looking at the rosters, I wonder if the idea was to test the defensive squads under the microscope today. There's no clear distinction between the goaltending tandems, nor the forward groupings, really, but the defense seems split between "defensive prowess" guys in front of Fucale/Condon, and "offensive prowess" guys in front of Delmas. Doesn't seem like the offense first guys are holding up against the grinding of Team Red, but I'd like to see the shots getting by these goalies, too.

Old
09-09-2013, 11:55 AM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Nah... Its Delmas and Festarini

Old
09-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Dagistitsyn

Connor "Hat Trick" Crisp.

2 hat tricks in pre season before he got to camp and a hat trick today in the scrimmage.

Old
09-09-2013, 12:06 PM
windycity

They should just release all the White Team guys now

Old
09-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Fucale played 30 minutes and didn't let in a goal.

Old
09-09-2013, 12:11 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Do we know if Fournier is just banking shots in off Crisp, or what? 'Cause it's no secret that Crisp converts garbage goal opportunities, just like its no secret that his offensive value begins and ends there.

You really can't underestimate motivation, that's for sure.
you and i both know the majority of goals scored in the play offs are garbage goals...i for one am intrigued we have a player who may be capable of this.

Old
09-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
Goaltenders

Team Red: Condon (17 saves on 18 shots) \ Fucale (7 saves on 7 shots)

Team White: Delmas (11 saves on 14 shots) \ Festarini (11 saves on 16 shots)

Fucale totally got destroyed!

Old
09-09-2013, 12:20 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Goaltenders

Team Red: Condon (17 saves on 18 shots) \ Fucale (7 saves on 7 shots)

Team White: Delmas (11 saves on 14 shots) \ Festarini (11 saves on 16 shots)

Fucale totally got destroyed!
Mixed the team Fucale played for. **** happens. Still less ridiculous than 90% of what you read here.

Old
09-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

90% of the comments here are way off base and completely false, eh? You would think that someone who thinks so lowly of this forum wouldn't actively participate, but to each their own.

Old
09-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
you and i both know the majority of goals scored in the play offs are garbage goals...i for one am intrigued we have a player who may be capable of this.
Yes, but also we know that what happens in an intra-squad scrimmage between prospects isn't always the best predictor for what occurs. Eberle is looking good as well, but it might not mean much in the end. Wish we could see them play instead of just hearing on the instances they put up points.

Old
09-09-2013, 12:29 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
90% of the comments here are way off base and completely false, eh? You would think that someone who thinks so lowly of this forum wouldn't actively participate, but to each their own.
Reading your answer and seeing your attitude for what in the origin was just a reading mistake makes me believe why I keep posting here. Fortunately, there are very knowledgable members and interesting reads in here, enough to make it worthy of a daily visit.

Old
09-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Reading your answer and seeing your attitude for what in the origin was just a reading mistake makes me believe why I keep posting here. Fortunately, there are very knowledgable members and interesting reads in here, enough to make it worthy of a daily visit.
My apologies for posting the correct numbers.

However I cannot understand your first phrase whatsoever.

Reading your answer and seeing your attitude for what in the origin was just a reading mistake makes me believe why I keep posting here.

Anyways, most of this forum is amazing. It's the people who constantly complain about it that kinda ruin it, but I suppose that's easy to ignore.

Back to the topic, Nygren has looked impressive. I really think this kid has a shot at making the team (yes, over Tinordi and Beaulieu). He's more NHL ready in my opinion, which isn't surprising since he's been playing with men for a while now.

Old
09-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

If anyone is looking for more info on the now finished camp, @MTLMacaskill did a great job covering it.

Check out his tweets for a lot of pics & comments.

Also, there's a butt load of pictures from day 3 here: http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/ga...okie-scrimmage

edit: Radio Canada interviewed a few players as well (Fucale, Crisp, Bozon)

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/ho...or-crisp.shtml

Last edited by Dr Gonzo: 09-09-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old
09-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Seb
Need more Therrien

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
edit: Radio Canada interviewed a few players as well (Fucale, Crisp, Bozon)

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/ho...or-crisp.shtml
Fucale looks like a nerd who gets bullied in high school.

Old
09-09-2013, 01:36 PM
L4br3cqu3
Booya !

vCash: 905
If Crisp could ultimately become some kind of Tomas Holmstrom, that would be great. I wanted us to draft Nastasiuk this year cause of that, a big guy who screens the goalie and bangs loose pucks in.

Old
09-09-2013, 02:23 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Kinda off topic, but in the stands, I was next to a bunch of hockey ppl, kinda unreal for a normal fan to be honest.

I was watching and I noticed a freelance reporter I fellow on twitter Stormin Norman next to me, talking to some big old guy, talking about coaching and stuff, and I stayed to listen in, and person Stormin was talking seemed to be pissed that Sylvain Lefebvre hired Lebeau for the ast coach job with the Dogs, didn't really take it seriously, until Habs ast coach Gerard Gallant came and started chatting with the guy. I guess he might have been in the running for the ast coach job for the Dogs.

Joel Bouchard was also near by talking to Sylvain Lefebvre, and bulldogs goalie coach Vincent Riendeau.

Completely useless post but it was cool being so close to guys you see on tv and stuff.

Old
09-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
Nobody ****s with the Jesus.

Old
09-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Hey guys, I went to the scrimmage today so I'll give you a little write-up of what I thought...

Team White:

Defensemen

Nygren: He looks good. He looks big. He's composed with the puck, he'll skate the puck out of the zone himself (Team Red took penalties trying to get the puck off him), and he'll throw hits when he sees the chance. We're going to be seeing more of Nygren, that's for sure. He was dominant for Team White. Very pleased with his game.

Beaulieu: Beaulieu- always one of my personal favorites. He's just elegant with the puck. Everything looks easy. Forwards would forecheck, and he'd skate circles around them until he was free to do what he pleased. Crisp passes. The best PP quarterback out there for both teams, easily. When paired with Dietz on the PP, Dietz looked like he was handling a hot potato compared to Nate. He doesn't look phased at all out there... I hope he sees some games this year.

Forwards

Hudon: I like how he plays. Put the puck on his stick, and watch him work his magic. He's at the right place at the right time, he looked good on the boards- size isn't going to be an issue with him. Watching him on the PP with Beattie and Eberle... I felt bad. Get the puck to Hudon! One of my new favorite prospects... and he drives a Jeep Wrangler, how can you not like this kid?

Bournival: There really wasn't much offense coming from Team White. I was happy to see Bournival contribute, and put up some points. Nice blast from just inside the blue-line to beat Condon. I'm not sure what lies in store for Bournival... but he's a damn hard-worker and I liked what I saw.

Team Red:

Defensemen

Tinordi: Loved how he cleared the net whenever he had the chance- knocked Eberle right on his ass while he tried to jab away at the goalie. He plays a simple game with physicality, and I like it. It looked easy. He was easily the best on the back-end for Team Red, with Pateryn a distant second. His presence is felt. The sooner he's on the Canadiens' roster, IMO, the better. We need it.

Pateryn: Pateryn was playing tough. He was laying out some good hits. He took a penalty for a big hit where he put his hands a little high. Player from Team White took a break-out pass on the sideboards and just got leveled by Pateryn who was pinching in- took him a minute to get up. Pateryns a big boy, is right-handed too, and I was happy to see that kind of game coming from him. He'll see some games this year, and I don't think he'll be out of place. We have a good problem right now, with Nygren, Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn pushing for a roster spot.

Forwards

Thomas: Thomas can fly- this kid has wheels. He was tenacious- evading hits behind the net / in the corner. Trying to get the puck to the net. Blew past a flat-footed Beaulieu at one point... and there was no catching up. I'm not sure where he fits with the Canadiens, but he was the best forward for Team Red IMO, even if the points didn't follow.

Crisp/Fournier: I'm putting these two together because Crisp's success comes from Fournier's hard work. Crisp didn't score beauties, but he did get a quick shot top-shelf from very close. He shoveled another one in off of Fournier's drive to the net. Both were involved in Crisp's goals. Crisp isn't exceptionally gifted in any specific area- but he tipped a few shots, stood in front of the net, and tried to shovel some goals in when he could. We don't have a ton of those players, so fingers-crossed he continues to get better and works his way onto the Canadiens' roster.

Nystrom: He's nifty. He took a beaut' of a pass from Pateryn? while he drifted behind Team White's defense, and buried it home. He took the puck out of the defensive zone a couple of times, and he can find his way through the neutral zone. Pleasantly surprised, he was never on the "map" for me.

Was fun to see Parros/White/Eller/ and a few other Canadiens skate across the ice at one point during the scrimmage- they were greeted with some applause from the crowds. Dat 'stache.

Not sure how Reway is listed at 5'09? This kid looks tiny out there

Last edited by Beaker: 09-09-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old
09-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Thanks, Beaker. nice to get some reportage from the rookie camp instead of all the other crap.

Your comments confirmed what I suspected. Thomas Nygren & Tinordi are the front runners for a spot on the big team.

Old
09-09-2013, 03:04 PM
rockjngo

Like I said in my "Future Defense Core" post, I think Nygren is plays a very mature game, probably because he is 23 years old. He moves the puck well, hes' big 6"1' 210lbs, can win corner battles and has a pretty good slap shot from the point. Reminds me a bit of Johnny Oduya. I think Nygren and Tinordi could see some icetime early in the season.

Old
09-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Okay so let's talk about the invisible and who should not be a factor for us in the short term, whether it's the Dogs or Habs, though it's just my opinion....

BYE-BYE: Joel Gervais-Chouinard, Matt Grassi, Maxime Gravel, Jonathan Narbonne, Christopher Festarini, Kyle Beattie, Matthew Boudens (I would have love to love him...but aside his backhand pass on the last goal...I didn't see him), Justin Courtnall, Marcus Hinds (probably the most visible, was sometimes at the right time, right place, but it's so awful to watch him skate...reminded me of Brashear and I'm ONLY talking about the skating stride here). All those guys...it should be bye-bye, and maybe next time....if ever. You need to SHINE as an invitee....you didn't see most of them. Yes, some D's like Gravel, mainly Narbonne, had some good plays...but not enough for me.

BAD TO DISSAPOINTING: Steve Quailer (Pateryn did his best to wake him up...ouch...., but this is just a player who has a big frame and is still most invisible than the smallest guys out there. Just don't seem to know what to do. This is the perfect example of a player with a nice package but has no idea what to do with it), Michael Bournival (I would have been expecting him to shine and be one of the best, and I don't care if he scored on a weak goal given by Condon, he skates well, does some good little things, he does seem thicker....but you have to upgrade your game. He will be invited at the pro camp for sure....but time to step up if you don't want to be surpassed...; Tim Bozon: Awfully quiet. Seriously, scary quiet. I understand that it's not his game. He's a shooter and all...but there's a freakin limit. This is a rookie camp, you still should be able to shine in all aspects of the game compared to tons of guys in there that will never make it. Not noticeable enough. Not even sure if I saw him shoot on top of it....; Patrick Holland: Quiet day to say the least. Was a man amongst boys in the dev. camp....was a boy today. Another one who will need a strong pro camp to get noticed; Brady Vail: My problem, I guess I'm expecting too much....but if he played that way in the US camp....so easy to understand why he was cut. WAsn't really implicating himself in the play. Was going too fast offensively, and rarely made good plays defensively, which should be his bread and butter; Darren Dietz: So If I'd like to make a Gaston Therrien out of myself, I'd say...doesn't look in shape....but I won't. Yet, things seemed to be getting too fast today. Decision making wasn't the sharpest but so was the skating. Not awful, just dissapointing for me as I'm a big fan; Steven McAuley: I compare him to Fournier and....I just stop doing it. Nowhere to be seen that much. Didn't provoke enough.

OKAY: Stefan Chaput (I will use that expression a lot...but geez do we have **** Disturbers on this team. Chaput is one of them. Kept asking for more. Doesn't have the size to ask for more, but still does it. Really aggressive for a guy his size, always in your face. Not sure that anything will ever be created offesnively, aside from a good forecheck, but could be a nice filler to have on a Dogs team; Ben Duffy: Well much more quieter than on the dev. camp. If he plays that way at the dev. camp, he has no contract. But you still see the hands, still see the offensive awareness on some plays, flashes are there, I guess consistency wasn't; Tanner Eberle: Use the same description that I did for Chaput. Little SD. I know that if I'm a player, I'd punch the guy. Which is a good thing. I have no idea how that's going to turn out. Somehow, he might not have done enough, as most of his efforts could be put on the fact that he was an invitee, but did he do enough? Tough call. Was on a lot of faces again today, and not the smallest guys....; Jérémy Grégoire: Great reviews yesterday, so much more quiet today. You have to love his anticipation though. Another one who reminds me of Hudon as far as how he thinks the game. But he wasn't that much present; Charles Hudon: Probably the most invisible game I've seen him since a long time. Nothing to worry about as he still shows his great IQ of the game....but aside from a few decks, he didn't wow anybody as much as I would have liked to be. I know his game is also at the little things, which he does, reason why I write okay.; Magnus Nygren: I personnally didn't see the already NHL'er that some described yesterday. I saw AWESOME passes that weren't well received but that's not his fault. But I saw some agility problems and some decision making that wasn't up too par today. Again though, he does have a great shot. And it's not dissapointing for me, as I always think that no matter which men's league you play in, there's an adjustment period. He will go through it; Drew Schiestel: Another one that, if he could, should work on his decision making, but I liked his fluid skating. Nothing but a AHL'er though....; Dalton Thrower: Hey, that's good as far as I'm concerned. I keep putting him as bad, he's actually progressing. He was confident with the puck today. And didn't make any glaring BIG defensive mistakes as I'm used to see. So a good day for him. Took often the right decisions; Nathan Beaulieu: Honestly, with what I saw at the dev. camp, I thought he had a fine day today. I think he tried to make it simpler. Had some pretty good moments with the puck. Frankly, didn't do THAT many mistakes as he usually does. But he has to start being more dominating in a camp like that.

VERY GOOD: Sven Andrighetto: I just love this player. So dynamic, energetic, great balance and great strength for a kid his size; Hat Trick Conor Crisp: Well 1st period might have been average...but he suddenly remembered where the net was, and drove it like crazy. Didn't show any laziness defensively, backchecked, had some nice defensive awareness and showed some good speed.....once he gets going. But his first steps are AWFUL. Worst than McCarron; Stefan Fournier: I know I would just hate to play against him. This guy will be so great to have in Hamilton. Don't know if he'll ever see the NHL. I mean, you look at a guy like Blunden, who is clearly borderline AHL-NHL and yet, shows way more speed than Fournier or any other big guy we have.....Still, always in your face Fournier is tough to play against. Love to see a guy like him in our organization; Michael McCarron: I didn't see any other reports....I'm SURE that people will say he wasn't good...but I have him as very good for 2 reasons. He played with MacAulay and Quailer. The guy wasn't put in a position to succeed offensively and I think he did everything he could. But what I loved his the speed he showed, or at least FASTER than I've seen him at the dev. camp. ALREADY. And I LOVED his defensive awareness, was able today to break passes with his wise stick game, cutting lane passes and so on. I loved him today. And you all know he wasn't my pick for 1st round but I don't care...I call it as I see it. We've got a good one on our hands; Erik Nystrom: Maybe not as much as the dev. camp, but another one who, as the game passed by, he looked faster and more involved in the play. He had no choice though as 3 of my favorite little SD's were doing it...he had to do it himself. And honestly, I can't wait to see what he'll do offensively. I think we're underrating his abilities, his awareness; Martin Reway: Quiet 1st period and then...woooosh.....here we go. This freakin little SD is so small and yet make things happen. Doesn't mind the rough stuff, plays a great imaginative game, I don't think we have a lot of those frankly. Great puck possession at high speed like the next guy I'll talk about; Christian Thomas: Hey, he needs to be great to please me and he did today. So much speed, with and without the puck, didn't like all the shots he took (reminded me of Kristo there...), but his offensive awareness sometimes was off the chart. Can't wait to see his progression; Morgan Ellis: So mean Morgan....With Pateryn, is the one who showed a mean spirit. Some crosschecks, bodychecks, never backs down. Plays a simple game, and plays it well; Greg Pateryn: See Morgan Ellis, but more poised. Made a dangerous play, tried to deke 2 guys, passed right in front of his net, but just like nothing happened. Biggest hit of the game on Quailer. So tough to play against. Almost mistake free. And he improved a little his agility; Jarred Tinordi: Okay, let's be fair, not his greatest game. A little slow on decision making....but overall when he was pedal to the medal, still the man amongst boys. Looked a little tired though. Not his strongest performance. Saw his passes being intercepted. But when he had to shut down a lane...he shut it down, ask Chaput.

Goalies: Well, I hated Bournival's goal on Condon...he didn't impress me as he did in the dev. camp. Delmas was ordinairy to say the least. Festerlini was bad, just isn't a good goalie. And I liked Fucale's poise though he wasn't tested that much....

Now, I have to say, I know that the list may be out of players invited to the main camp so I may be way off, but I didn't see the list. Didn't want to look at it to change my impressions. 'Cause that is merely my impressions of the game....not an analysis of their entire career....

Guys, I didn't write a report as complete as usually. So ask your questions. And I'll try to answer it today.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 09-09-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old
09-09-2013, 04:03 PM
EveryDay

Thanks WS for the report!!!!!!!!!!

Who was your top 3 stars for today scrimmage?

Old
09-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Thanks WS for the report!!!!!!!!!!

Who was your top 3 stars for today scrimmage?
Easiest would be to say: Crisp, Andrighetto and Reway. I'd add Thomas and Pateryn. Not sure that I've seen the day that my 3 stars of a camp were guys drafted the camp's year.....

Old
09-09-2013, 04:24 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Easiest would be to say: Crisp, Andrighetto and Reway. I'd add Thomas and Pateryn. Not sure that I've seen the day that my 3 stars of a camp were guys drafted the camp's year.....
Thanks for the reports, WS and Beaker!

Apparently Bozon was pretty invisible at last year's camp as well.

Love to hear that about Reway. He looks to be one of our most raw skilled prospects. Definitely cheering for him. If he can reach his ceiling (though he's a long shot) then we could have a helluva player on our hands. I'm actually pretty happy that Van took J. Subban.

I'm hoping the expectations of all the other reports jaundiced your view of Nygren. Awesome to hear about Pateryn and Ellis. Looks like we have tons of potential call ups for our D corps this year and they all have size.

Closed Thread