HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

With Thomas bailing us out and winning this game...

Old
11-16-2006, 10:37 AM
newhavenbeast

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Don Cherry;7083825]
shot the puck right at him in Axelsson-like fashion.
QUOTE]

I laughed when I thought of that. B's get in a shootout, everyone is baffled because the coach actually put Axe in the shooutout, he comes in and takes a weak shot right at the pads, and feels shame

newhavenbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 10:52 AM
usual suspects

I think for the goalie trade rumours, this might snub any deal for a number 1 goalie with big contracts. If anything, Chiarelli is likely now looking for a 2a, 1b type goaltender to work with Thomas. Tim is a great team guy and a competitive athlete. Getting a good netminder to split 50-50/40-60 with him would be good imho.[/QUOTE]

All this talk of Nabokov doesnt and never did make sense to me the money is too big and the asking price is as well.
I think the deal if any will be for like you said a 1B or 2A type goalie. For example, Biron (won't happen unless its a 3way deal), Weekes, Garon or Mason among a few others. Don't expect a saviour unless we unload some of our core.

usual suspects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 10:54 AM
usual suspects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insaner View Post
Well, like Chiarelli said, he's waiting 'till 20 games. We've played 15 games so far, one game under .500. I think, unless Thomas records a couple of shutouts in the next 5 games (which will come fast), then he'll still be dealt.

My objective opinion on Thomas is that he can't handle the workload of being a starter, but has the talent to be an excellent back-up for any team.
Agreed, Thomas is a quality backup but not the go to guy. I like Thomas but I think we need to be realistic on the expectations we have for him.

usual suspects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 10:55 AM
FL4WL3SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Jets View Post
Timmay did play good but not great, maybe My goalie standards are high but he did make some good 1st saves but he still let some aweful rebounds go, But his d men and backchecking forwards did a much better job of tying up there men on those rebounds. Good team win but i don't want to take too much away from timmay's performance.
I agree. The other team is so shocked that they get such easy rebounds that they miss the net sometimes with overexcitement!

I think he played good last night, but I also think the shootout was a combination of skill and luck. He was in position and thats why he made the 1st and 3rd saves, but the shooters also helped him out by not giving him much of a challenge.

-FL4WL3SS

FL4WL3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 11:08 AM
CapeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan2000 View Post
I think for the goalie trade rumours, this might snub any deal for a number 1 goalie with big contracts. If anything, Chiarelli is likely now looking for a 2a, 1b type goaltender to work with Thomas. Tim is a great team guy and a competitive athlete. Getting a good netminder to split 50-50/40-60 with him would be good imho.
All this talk of Nabokov doesnt and never did make sense to me the money is too big and the asking price is as well.
I think the deal if any will be for like you said a 1B or 2A type goalie. For example, Biron (won't happen unless its a 3way deal), Weekes, Garon or Mason among a few others. Don't expect a saviour unless we unload some of our core.[/QUOTE]

I think Garon from LA is a strong possibility given he is UFA at the end of the season.

CapeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 11:42 PM
drStep

Thomas is my boyyyyyyyyyy 2-1 tonight stell doing the job give a chance let him get back ine game a soon as the boyz aving a 5 streack win the confidance is ggeting better is a team game dont forget

drStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 03:33 AM
nmbr_24

I didn't read the whole thread, and I bet someone has already said this, but, here goes, Thomas played well, BUT, he played like an NHL caliber goalie. That is it, he was not doing anything that good goalies don't do every game they play. Good for him, it's about time he started doing his job. Maybe he is just a slow starter, I hope that is it and he does a good job for the rest of the season.
I don't really want to see the Bruins trade a key part of the team for a goaltender who is going to be a stop gap until Toivonen or Rask are ready to be a #1 goalie. If the Bruins brass decided Toivonen and/or Rask are not the answer in net in the next year or 2, then a deal should be made, if they have a plan, and Toivonen/Rask are a big part of it, then they need to bite the bullet and go with what they have until they are ready and pick up other pieces of the puzzle as needed.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 04:59 AM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry View Post
If *one* good game by Thomas means that we stop searching for a decent goalie then Chia needs to be fired NOW.

Thomas got a lot of lucky breaks last night. As far as the shootout goes, they simply shot the puck right at him in Axelsson-like fashion.

When Thomas stinks the joint up tonight amid a showering of boos from the crowd of around 5,000 (snicker) everyone will be calling for his head once again.

It was *one* good game.

Exactly my thoughts. Tim wins two close games and suddenly he is Cheevers to some here.
TT is NOT a number 1 G.
TT would be a solid number 2 guy.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 05:18 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
Exactly my thoughts. Tim wins two close games and suddenly he is Cheevers to some here.
TT is NOT a number 1 G.
TT would be a solid number 2 guy.
If Thomas can keep winning us games, then there is no point cutting our depth at forward to bring over an overpaid, overrated goalie (Yes, Nabokov is overrated).

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 06:00 AM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
If Thomas can keep winning us games, then there is no point cutting our depth at forward to bring over an overpaid, overrated goalie (Yes, Nabokov is overrated).
Big IF there, even if he wins games, they'll be close games.
We won't make the playoffs imho with him in net!
Nabokov isn't overrated..he can steal games.
By your logic, Kipper is overrated too.

Old
11-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Last nights game was a close game becuase of both goalies. If Aubin didnt have about 10 highlight reel saves, the Bruins woulda blown out the Leafs. You gotta give Thomas credit when he played well, and I would say lsat night was one of those nights.

I find it funny, if he played badly everyone would say it, but the guy allows one goal against a team who has been scoring in bunches and hardly anyone gives him props.

On another note, did anyone else find it funny that everyone is attributing Toronto's loss to their 4 days off. Hasnt Boston been doing that all year so far, playing a game, then waiting four days, playing a game. They would win one, then have 5 days off, enough time so they couldnt carry over the momentum. ****** schedule IMO to start the year.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 08:45 AM
SToMper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
can we get a reality check here?

he played one good game tonight.

one good game will do nothing to his trade value,

one good game might encourage lewis to start him again next game, but one good game really doesnt mean much.

he is what he is, and thats it.
Isn't that all anyone is? But what is he?

I contend he is much better than 90% of the LF give him credit for. How many truly paid attention to his tenure in Providence and his track record in Finland? We can gripe all we want about the goalie graveyard, and "giving up" on Raycroft....whatever, He is an All-Star in Europe. Does that translate to the NHL? Not immediately, no. But Timmy with commitment and patience can play his way into another good string.....and be an above par backup and very good goalie.

Of course there will be losses, and he's a little overpaid with that 3 yr contract. But by how much 1.0 to 1.5 over the length of the contract? Not that big a deal in my opinion.

Everyone can slam ownership and management all they want about what needs to be done right now, but I think Tim Thomas is just fine AT THIS POINT in the season.

SToMper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 09:29 AM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Quote:
Yes Big IF. But look at the recent close games won. Were they close because Thomas was weak or because the skaters couldn't put the game away?

2-1, 3-2, 4-3, 6-5...aside from the 6-5 game where maybe he could have made a few extra saves given the amount of offense produced, the Bruins need to generate more offense.

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 09:51 AM
chsb

Quote:
If you check closely Thomas' record this season:
in his 5 wins, he gave up 7 goals for a 1.40 GAA and for a .950 save%
in his 3 losses, he gave up 15 goals for a GAA of 5.00 and a save % of .860

In his 5 wins so far, the Bruins scored once 3 goals and the others were two goals or less scored.

It all comes back to say that, when Thomas is excellent, the Bruins will win low scoring games and....the Bruins need low scoring games in order to have a chance to win.
In that regard, one can understand where Lewis' defensive strategy comes from...
The Bruins will hav eto stick to their defensive game plan all season to have any chance of winning on a regular basis as they don't have the potent offense which would give them the luxury of a goaltender allowed to goof once in a while.
The pressure on Thomas is enormous for that obvious reason and so far he answered the bell pretty good.
With him in goals, the Bruins are playing for .600

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 11:38 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
randy is right - nabokov certainly isn't overrated. definitely overpaid though, and for a bunch of years.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 11:48 AM
ksp1957

vCash: 361
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Keep Thomas in there as long as he wins games. I STILL am not sold on him as a #1 goalie, but he is doing the job now. This could be another example of one of his hot streaks where we can ride his coat-tails for 10-15 games. Then, by the time he burns out, we can either put Toivonen back in, or put Finley in there.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 11:51 AM
CombatOnContact

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
randy is right - nabokov certainly isn't overrated. definitely overpaid though, and for a bunch of years.
Hmmm I'm a little confused...doesn't being overpaid imply that you're overrated? Is there an overrated player in the league who isn't overpaid?

Old
11-17-2006, 11:59 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
If you check closely Thomas' record this season:
in his 5 wins, he gave up 7 goals for a 1.40 GAA and for a .950 save%
in his 3 losses, he gave up 15 goals for a GAA of 5.00 and a save % of .860

In his 5 wins so far, the Bruins scored once 3 goals and the others were two goals or less scored.

It all comes back to say that, when Thomas is excellent, the Bruins will win low scoring games and....the Bruins need low scoring games in order to have a chance to win.
In that regard, one can understand where Lewis' defensive strategy comes from...
The Bruins will hav eto stick to their defensive game plan all season to have any chance of winning on a regular basis as they don't have the potent offense which would give them the luxury of a goaltender allowed to goof once in a while.
The pressure on Thomas is enormous for that obvious reason and so far he answered the bell pretty good.
With him in goals, the Bruins are playing for .600
So maybe they should trade Glen Murray so that they don't score as many goals and therefore the games will be closer. JK

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 12:06 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
Hmmm I'm a little confused...doesn't being overpaid imply that you're overrated? Is there an overrated player in the league who isn't overpaid?
nabokov is a good goalie without question, but i wouldn't want him taking up that kind of cap space with our cap situation as currently constituted. consider that he's playing half of the games, and he's definitely overpaid.

but i see what you're saying, and certainly money ties into overrated/underrated.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 12:11 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
Not correlated.
Bergeron..... overpaid, yet underrated?
Toskala...... underpaid, yet overrated?

Old
11-17-2006, 12:14 PM
CombatOnContact

Quote:
Not correlated.
Bergeron..... overpaid, yet underrated?
Toskala...... underpaid, yet overrated?
I dunno...way I saw it was, if you're overpaid, then someone overrated your ability.

Old
11-17-2006, 12:15 PM
CombatOnContact

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
nabokov is a good goalie without question, but i wouldn't want him taking up that kind of cap space with our cap situation as currently constituted. consider that he's playing half of the games, and he's definitely overpaid.

but i see what you're saying, and certainly money ties into overrated/underrated.
I agree. I don't want any goalie taking up more than 3 mil in cap space unless he's Roberto Luongo, Mikka Kiprusoff or Martin Brodeur.