HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IV: Top-6 Center Stop Gaps? Super Heavyweights?

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2013, 02:43 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Oilers don't have room for Coburns cap hit now either.

If Philly wants to move cap hit out, they can't take cap hit back. Coburn is not happening.
N.Schultz to Ottawa would sure as hell help. Sounds like OTT could be looking for a vet, as per conversation on Lowetide's show with guy out of Ottawa.

Old
09-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
N.Schultz to Ottawa would sure as hell help. Sounds like OTT could be looking for a vet, as per conversation on Lowetide's show with guy out of Ottawa.
Or maybe Ottawa just goes straight to the source and gets Coburn ?

Old
09-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Usual_Suspect

@tpanotchCSN
still rumblings about Flyers bringing in Dan Cleary on PTO, but now the rumblings say they may sign him. doesnt make sense to me

@tpanotchCSN
Cleary will give you 15/18 goals and Cup experience vet. But a trade to lose salary has to happen and a young player will lose ice time

@tpanotchCSN
again, what i am hearing is that flyers were talking about 1-2 yr deal w/Cleary which advances from a PTO

@tpanotchCSN
Three years for Cleary (34) really cuts into some young player getting shafted. That would be a bad deal for the Flyers

Old
09-09-2013, 02:46 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Or maybe Ottawa just goes straight to the source and gets Coburn ?
Coburn might be too much salary to take on for them and their internal cap.

Old
09-09-2013, 02:51 PM
joestevens29

Lol, now STL wants Barker.

Old
09-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Red Deer Rebel

I get the impression Holmgren just goes out and makes deals ...

... and worries about the consequences later.

There's probably some bean-counter in the Flyers' head office pulling his hair out as we speak.

Old
09-09-2013, 02:53 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
I get the impression Holmgren just goes out and makes deals ...

... and worries about the consequences later.

There's probably some bean-counter in the Flyers' head office pulling his hair out as we speak.
Holmgren is still operating like there is some sort of loophole to hide players in the AHL.

Old
09-09-2013, 03:24 PM
SchultzSquared

Early yet... but does anyone (besides certain people who made their opiinion known early) think Marc Roy could make the team this years... I mean he pretty much is Lander today... but is three years younger more skilled and maybe even better two way

Cannot think of better way to break the kid in than to give him Smyth Jones as teachers on fourth line...

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
?-Gordon-Hemsky
Smyth-Roy-Jones

Easy minutes... give him PP time where I think he would do good... especially with RNH out a bit early... and let him learn... better I think than 100 points in the Q... 20-25 points in NHL at this age improving his skills against big league guys... could be huge for him

(or maybe he is really suited for ECHL)

Old
09-09-2013, 03:25 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Holmgren is still operating like there is some sort of loophole to hide players in the AHL.
Hey he signed Pronger thinking the 35 over rule did not apply... he is pretty much the most clueless GM... well except for that guy down south who could have lost picks on a guy who would have went on waivers anyway...

Old
09-09-2013, 03:27 PM
skorf

With Philly, do they get some salary relief with Pronger being a long-term injured player?

If insurance covers his salary, it's possible that his salary won't work against the cap. I'm not sure how it works right now after the new CBA

Old
09-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Early yet... but does anyone (besides certain people who made their opiinion known early) think Marc Roy could make the team this years... I mean he pretty much is Lander today... but is three years younger more skilled and maybe even better two way

Cannot think of better way to break the kid in than to give him Smyth Jones as teachers on fourth line...

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
?-Gordon-Hemsky
Smyth-Roy-Jones

Easy minutes... give him PP time where I think he would do good... especially with RNH out a bit early... and let him learn... better I think than 100 points in the Q... 20-25 points in NHL at this age improving his skills against big league guys... could be huge for him

Not a chance.

Old
09-09-2013, 03:44 PM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Quote:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
?-Gordon-Hemsky
Smyth-Roy-Jones

Oh heck no that would be a great way to wreck our only prospect that has offensive top 6 potential in the future.

Old
09-09-2013, 03:46 PM
joestevens29

Quote:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
?-Gordon-Hemsky
Smyth-Roy-Jones

At best and this is even a stretch he gets a couple games while RNH is out, but I suspect he is back to the Q early so he can be with his team. Looking good in a tourney like the Penticton one means nothing.
Quote:
Hey he signed Pronger thinking the 35 over rule did not apply... he is pretty much the most clueless GM... well except for that guy down south who could have lost picks on a guy who would have went on waivers anyway...
That is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post
With Philly, do they get some salary relief with Pronger being a long-term injured player?

If insurance covers his salary, it's possible that his salary won't work against the cap. I'm not sure how it works right now after the new CBA
If they are at the max cap, then they are allowed to go over the cap by the amount of Pronger's salary.

Old
09-09-2013, 03:51 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Roy isn't anything spectacular. He's a skilled, speedy forward from the Q. there are many players who can score near-ppg and will never be NHL players. He is far away from getting serious consideration.

Old
09-09-2013, 03:54 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Roy has about a .00001% chance of making the oilers imo.

When is the last time a 2nd rounder in his draft year made the roster for the Oilers?

Lander, Arcobello, Acton, Miller are all ahead of Roy on the C depth chart currently and I'd even guess someone like Pitlick (although very unlikely he'll see any time either) would get a cup of coffee before Roy would. I doubt Roy signs a contract before next season. He'll have another year in the Q and then the Oilers will have an even better idea how he's developing.

Old
09-09-2013, 03:56 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Ralphs new position in the organization. I bet they regress too.

Old
09-09-2013, 04:00 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post

They are quite bad already, I don't really understand the point of having them. Sure they are decent to look at sometimes, but once they start dancing the pit stains come out in full force.

Old
09-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Roy has about a .00001% chance of making the oilers imo.

When is the last time a 2nd rounder in his draft year made the roster for the Oilers?

Lander, Arcobello, Acton, Miller are all ahead of Roy on the C depth chart currently and I'd even guess someone like Pitlick (although very unlikely he'll see any time either) would get a cup of coffee before Roy would. I doubt Roy signs a contract before next season. He'll have another year in the Q and then the Oilers will have an even better idea how he's developing.
Patrice Bergeron, PK Subban, and Andrew Shaw was like a 5th rounder that did that(order player though)

Old
09-09-2013, 04:01 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

There are several teams with too many bodies on their rosters (over the 23 max) so it will be interesting to see who ends up on waivers.

Oilers have the 7th picking spot on the waiver wire so the potential is there to possibly pick up a "semi-decent" forward that's discarded by a team with a lot of depth. Of course the Oilers already have a lot of bodies of their own on D and on LW/RW so they'll be playing the waiver game themselves.

Should be interesting seeing teams alter their lineups with PTO contracts and rookies making the teams over the next 3 weeks... plus several teams having to make minor moves to all become cap compliant.

Old
09-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post

They are all thinking "Who cares? I'm a F***ING CHEERLEADER!" Then you get the odd one saying "What's hockey?" while curling their hair with their finger...

Old
09-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Paralyzer008

By not inviting a forward to training camp, the Oilers are saying

1) We are fine without RNH for a month

2) We don't need anymore forward competition

3) We have internal options that can fill roles

I don't agree with any of those really

Old
09-09-2013, 04:16 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Patrice Bergeron, PK Subban, and Andrew Shaw was like a 5th rounder that did that(order player though)
PK Subban was drafted in 2007 and only played 2 regular season games in 09/10.

Bergeron is a good example as he played a full season right after he was drafted (of course he's not an Oiler either which was my original comment. ).

Shaw was drafted in 2011 and played 37 NHL games in his draft year BUT he was also 20 years old at the time as well and played in the AHL that season also.

Roy is still just 18 and I highly, highly doubt he jumps from the 2nd round of this draft immediately onto the Oilers. I guess he could be the 2nd coming of Bergeron... but I doubt it.

Old
09-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
?-Gordon-Hemsky
Smyth-Roy-Jones

Right now, I'm just hoping they invite him to main camp. Give him a good look and then send him back to the Q. Seems like his coach there is doing a great job with him.

K-Lowe can then pull some strings and get him invited to the Canadian Junior Camp. That would be the best thing for him.

Lander is going to get his shot this year, and rightfully so.

Old
09-09-2013, 04:21 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
There are several teams with too many bodies on their rosters (over the 23 max) so it will be interesting to see who ends up on waivers.

Oilers have the 7th picking spot on the waiver wire so the potential is there to possibly pick up a "semi-decent" forward that's discarded by a team with a lot of depth. Of course the Oilers already have a lot of bodies of their own on D and on LW/RW so they'll be playing the waiver game themselves.

Should be interesting seeing teams alter their lineups with PTO contracts and rookies making the teams over the next 3 weeks... plus several teams having to make minor moves to all become cap compliant.
I have a feeling CGY is going to end up taking guys that we might want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
By not inviting a forward to training camp, the Oilers are saying

1) We are fine without RNH for a month

2) We don't need anymore forward competition

3) We have internal options that can fill roles

I don't agree with any of those really
Or what has been said by MacT, a lot of guys don't want to sign PTO's.

Old
09-09-2013, 04:21 PM
dem

Has a winger transitioning to Center like... ever worked out well?

Honest question. I cant think of any off the top of my head.

Closed Thread