HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Traverse City Tournament updates

Old
09-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
I keep having to remind myself that these games don't matter. Carrier's stock seems to be going up though.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 08:50 PM
letmesleep

vCash: 500
Yeah, statistically at least Carrier is showing he can keep up. He put up 6 shots tonight which is a good sign that him and his line-mates were making things happen. Pochiro also put up 5 shots tonight. Rattie somehow managed to score 2 goals on only 2 shots. Jaskin was +3, meaning he was on ice for every goal we scored.

letmesleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:00 PM
letmesleep

I'd really like to see Jaskin and Rattie combine for more than 7 shots over 2 games though. For comparison, Pochiro and Carrier have combined for 15 shots.

Old
09-07-2013, 12:19 AM
Robb_K

Nice to see that Rattie and Carrier are scoring on this "new level". Of course, 2 games versus mostly players with little or no pro experience is no proof of anything. But, I have no doubts that these two will transition into decent goal scorers on the pro and NHL level.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 12:21 AM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Nice to see that Rattie, Jaskin, Carrier, Hakanpaa, and Edmundson all have a positive +/- as of now.

EDIT: Found it on prospect forum thought I'd post it here for those to see but the first 9 minutes of the 1st period.

Last edited by Bluesman91: 09-07-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 03:31 AM
letmesleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Nice to see that Rattie, Jaskin, Carrier, Hakanpaa, and Edmundson all have a positive +/- as of now.

EDIT: Found it on prospect forum thought I'd post it here for those to see but the first 9 minutes of the 1st period.

Yeah I saw this and thought about posting it solely for the event that happens at 5:00. Jaskin goes in for a big hit behind the net but forgets that he's hitting a 6'7" brick wall.

Old
09-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Cotton McKnight
BLUESBLUESBLUESBLUES

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgersandBlues View Post
Right? Which would you prefer? Live action prospect tourney or the 100th day in a row of old playoff hockey games? Once again Ladies and Gentleman, the NHL Network!

NHL Network is like that old useless friend you just have to give up on changing, the odds are against it. lol

Cotton McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 11:03 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton McKnight View Post
NHL Network is like that old useless friend you just have to give up on changing, the odds are against it. lol
Haha, true but NHL Network was awesome on Saturdays during the season, games all day long.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Good to see our main prospects showing some good stuff

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 01:29 PM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by letmesleep View Post
I'd really like to see Jaskin and Rattie combine for more than 7 shots over 2 games though. For comparison, Pochiro and Carrier have combined for 15 shots.
defenses are probably keying in on rattie and jaskin since they're the two best forwards on the team.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Frenzy1

Notes from the two games:

Jaskin, Rattie, Carrier line was great. Created tons of chances in the 2nd game. Jaskin did a good job at center.

Rattie - showed to be a solid sniper. Both goals were goal scorer goals. Played in all 3 zones. Not physical, but a very smart player. Nose for the loose puck and net.

Jaskin - Physically strong. Best all around player on the team. Could punish opposing players. Did well cover in the dzone - after the move to center. Not a play maker, but considering he was out of position did very well. 1st game, played with Tesnik and Velliaux - not a good line. It was essentially 1 on 3. I will get into that later.

Carrier - Kid is a plyer. In and older player tournament -he more then held his own - he stood out. Not hard to find on the ice. Nose for the net and sees the ice well. Needs to work on the d game - lost player a couple of times. (Played point on the PP in game 2 - says it all right there).

Pochiro - Another solid pick. Didn't get a ton of time on the ice compared to others, but was always involved. The first game he was on the kid line, then he moves to the 3rd. Has wheels and a great engine. This is a kid that we will be happy to have in the future. Also the kind of guy who doesn't get traded.

Valk - Loved his first game. Sees the ice well. Size didnt' matter, moved the puck well. 2nd game he wasn't as noticeable. It was more of the dump and cycle - not his style of game. Very slick player with good hands and vision. Size will be an issue going forward in the AHL and must cycle the puck better. Was on a line with Tesnik (wing) and Wannastrom in the 2nd game Center Rattie and Wannastrom in the 1st game. His first game was better.

Fox - Not as offensive minded as Valk, but more well rounded. Played on the PK unit and did create some scoring chances. I would like to have seen him play with more offensive players. He was in more of a shut down role. I would think he will get an AHL contract - if not from the Blues someone else.

Duty - This guys can drop them. Went toe to toe with Olzesiak - who is a beast - and I would give him the win. Pounded on someone from the wild. Is likely a replacement for Beach at some point.

Villeaux - not to much to say here. Kind of disappointed in his game. Not physical all that much. Seemed to spend a lot of time just chasing the puck. Game was faster then he was used too. Also wonder what he did in the offseason - maybe takes a bit to get adjusted??? Just didn't seem to get things going. Not sure about his scating.

Last edited by Frenzy1: 09-07-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Robb_K

Thanks for the rundown (you lucky dog!). Niuce to hear this considering we've only been able to watch a paltry 9 minutes (after the fact), and not being able to read the names on the players' backs most of that time.

Old
09-07-2013, 08:31 PM
MTrangers

Rangers fan here. I know Doty's girlfriend really well and have spent some time with him. Besides his fight with Olzesiak (which sounds like a highlight) what did you guys think of him? Enough skills to be a potential 4 liner eventually? Or you guys thinking AHL is about his max?

MTrangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Frenzy1

Sorry, I was interrupted before finishing. (And Rob, it is a great tournament. Each team has most of its front office and scouting staff - along with coaches). They are all very human - you can say hi to about anyone.

Continuing:

Wannstrom - I was hoping for more being an AHL player. He is a typical 3rd line guy. Makes good reads, just doesn't have the high end offense.

Tesink - Scored a lot in JR. Didn't show much in the first game - Didn't show much in the 2nd. Like Veilleux, I expected a lot more. In truth, he has to show more if he wants to play in the AHL this year. Not physical player so he would need to be in a top 6 role. I didn't see that in his play. If I didn't follow the prospects, I wouldn't have even mentioned him.

Hakanapaa - Big mean dman. No two ways about it. Pretty good with the puck also - not on the rush, but outlet passing. There is a reason he was captain. Think Polak. Big, mobile d first, but can chip in offensively. (Has played at a faster/higher level and it was evident).

Edmundson - Big mean. Skating is average - but wont hurt him. Plays a simple game, only had 1 turnover in the 1st game. (And that is very good). He is a bigger version of Jackman. Beat the tar out of Dumba - Wild players jumped in quickly to help. (Dumba started it, JE finished it.)

Walters - he missed time last year due to injury. Thought he played well. Big, mean dman. He needs more time in the oven. Very similar to Edmundson in temperament. Goes out of his way to lay wood.

Overall, it was a very young team. In the past we have had top 6 forwards (McRae) w/ AHL experience on the team of AHL Dmen. It was a young team and it showed. At times the coverage was poor in the dzone.

Binnington was much better in the 2nd game. Didn't feel he was as sharp in the first.
Goals came after a long penalty kill (6 minutes - w/ 30 sec. of 5/3). PK wasn't bad, but got tired.

PP was not good. Point play was not there - Hakanapaa played well and showed a big shot, but the other side was usually weak. There is a reason in the 2nd game Carrier was move to play point.

Was hoping to see Beach play. He didn't. My quess is they were trying to give other guys a shot to see what they have. (Beach is a known commodity - some other guys are not and they will need to make some decisions - this includes Wannstrom).

Based on those two games (small sample) I would bet the Fox and Valk get contracts (AHL). I also think Doty showed enough to get a solid look - he is what he is - pure enforcer. Defensively, I didn't see much - beyond the 3 I mentioned. We are short puck movers in the system - I am not sure that has changed. Sorry, hard critique. Lefebvre and Miller are the closest, but neither is Fairchild or Cundari (both could slow the game down).

As for the Doty role question. System wide, it is good to have guys who can drop gloves effectively - and he did that. However, he isn't as thick as Reaves - nor as quick. He also doesn't offer any offensive ability - something Beach does. I don't see him passing either player in the next few years. So for now, AHL. Can't predict the future so who knows.

Final note: This tourney, guys who have played at higher levels typically show much more. At points this game move quicker then the JR game and it shows for some of the average guys. Decisions making just has to be faster. You can tell some one with AHL experience pretty quickly.

Some of the guys on Dallas's team -Chaisson, McKenzie, Oleksiak had the experience playing at the higher level that we lacked - and the first two were a few years older. So you can't really just look a the score, but who did the scoring. However, I will say the Nichushkin could do what ever he wanted out there..... He is going to be a stud. Best player on the ice that I saw.

Old
09-08-2013, 12:45 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
Sorry, I was interrupted before finishing. (And Rob, it is a great tournament. Each team has most of its front office and scouting staff - along with coaches). They are all very human - you can say hi to about anyone.

Continuing:

Wannstrom - I was hoping for more being an AHL player. He is a typical 3rd line guy. Makes good reads, just doesn't have the high end offense.

Tesink - Scored a lot in JR. Didn't show much in the first game - Didn't show much in the 2nd. Like Veilleux, I expected a lot more. In truth, he has to show more if he wants to play in the AHL this year. Not physical player so he would need to be in a top 6 role. I didn't see that in his play. If I didn't follow the prospects, I wouldn't have even mentioned him.

Hakanapaa - Big mean dman. No two ways about it. Pretty good with the puck also - not on the rush, but outlet passing. There is a reason he was captain. Think Polak. Big, mobile d first, but can chip in offensively. (Has played at a faster/higher level and it was evident).

Edmundson - Big mean. Skating is average - but wont hurt him. Plays a simple game, only had 1 turnover in the 1st game. (And that is very good). He is a bigger version of Jackman. Beat the tar out of Dumba - Wild players jumped in quickly to help. (Dumba started it, JE finished it.)

Walters - he missed time last year due to injury. Thought he played well. Big, mean dman. He needs more time in the oven. Very similar to Edmundson in temperament. Goes out of his way to lay wood.

Overall, it was a very young team. In the past we have had top 6 forwards (McRae) w/ AHL experience on the team of AHL Dmen. It was a young team and it showed. At times the coverage was poor in the dzone.

Binnington was much better in the 2nd game. Didn't feel he was as sharp in the first.
Goals came after a long penalty kill (6 minutes - w/ 30 sec. of 5/3). PK wasn't bad, but got tired.

PP was not good. Point play was not there - Hakanapaa played well and showed a big shot, but the other side was usually weak. There is a reason in the 2nd game Carrier was move to play point.

Was hoping to see Beach play. He didn't. My quess is they were trying to give other guys a shot to see what they have. (Beach is a known commodity - some other guys are not and they will need to make some decisions - this includes Wannstrom).

Based on those two games (small sample) I would bet the Fox and Valk get contracts (AHL). I also think Doty showed enough to get a solid look - he is what he is - pure enforcer. Defensively, I didn't see much - beyond the 3 I mentioned. We are short puck movers in the system - I am not sure that has changed. Sorry, hard critique. Lefebvre and Miller are the closest, but neither is Fairchild or Cundari (both could slow the game down).

As for the Doty role question. System wide, it is good to have guys who can drop gloves effectively - and he did that. However, he isn't as thick as Reaves - nor as quick. He also doesn't offer any offensive ability - something Beach does. I don't see him passing either player in the next few years. So for now, AHL. Can't predict the future so who knows.

Final note: This tourney, guys who have played at higher levels typically show much more. At points this game move quicker then the JR game and it shows for some of the average guys. Decisions making just has to be faster. You can tell some one with AHL experience pretty quickly.

Some of the guys on Dallas's team -Chaisson, McKenzie, Oleksiak had the experience playing at the higher level that we lacked - and the first two were a few years older. So you can't really just look a the score, but who did the scoring. However, I will say the Nichushkin could do what ever he wanted out there..... He is going to be a stud. Best player on the ice that I saw.
Thanks. Tesink shouldn't ever have been projected to be a scorer in The NHL. His ceiling should be a lower-than-average 3rd liner, who can contribute 10-15 goals, and play a 2-way game. I'd guess that Villieux would also top out as a 3rd liner. Valk should be signed. He has hands and offensive instincts. Maybe he can improve his defence and bulk up and gain strength.

Not surprised that scouts and other front office staff were friendly. During practises or between periods, I've always been able to talk with them about their team, prospects and similar topics, and they've always been cordial and forthcoming. I've never met one wouldn't talk for a while.

Old
09-08-2013, 03:13 AM
erderuft

Great writeup, Frenzy1.

Really like the fact that the Blues have John Anderson behind the banch. This way he'll get a good first-hand feel for the AHL-guys. Hakanpaa, Rattie, Villeux, Jaskin and the rest.

erderuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 09:07 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrangers View Post
Rangers fan here. I know Doty's girlfriend really well and have spent some time with him. Besides his fight with Olzesiak (which sounds like a highlight) what did you guys think of him? Enough skills to be a potential 4 liner eventually? Or you guys thinking AHL is about his max?
I think most of us here hadn't even heard of him a week ago so...you tell us.

He sounds like an enforcer type and IMO, it's getting harder and harder for those guys to make the Bigs unless they bring another element to their game (be decent at at least one aspect if hockey besides fighting). I wish him well though.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 12:33 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

How would Pochiro compare to, say, Sobotka in the sense of "guy who won't get traded?"

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
How would Pochiro compare to, say, Sobotka in the sense of "guy who won't get traded?"
He is very simular. But he is bigger. Just as tenacious.

Old
09-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Alklha

Lost 4-1 to the Wings today, lots of penalties. François Tremblay was in goal, Wännström with our goal on the PP from Carrier and Edmundson.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 10:05 AM
InjuredChoker

Boxscore here

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 05:14 PM
STL fan in IA

The Blues won 8-3 in the final Traverse City game today against the Canes. Canes were up 3-0 halfway through the game before the Blues stormed back. Tesink with the hat trick. Wannstrom with 2 goals. Rattie and Jaskin 1 goal each.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote