HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Center problem

Old
09-09-2013, 07:02 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Well I for one feel Gagner is better suited for the wing so maybe it forces him over while Hall sticks at C... It's the most important position, he's our best player, I feel he has the ability to adapt quite well to the role personally
This is very debatable, regardless I don't like the idea of putting Hall where he isn't at his best. To me he is a natural winger. I guess we will find out any way.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 12:56 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
well, sounds like the experiment is a go. I don't think it'll ruin him if plays center. He'll either adapt, or the lines will get switched up a bit more.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:05 AM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
the argument against trying Hall at centre seems to be focused on the fact that he is a more natural winger and that he will not meet his full potential playing centre. both of these arguments are probably true, but if Hall can play centre at star or elite level, he may end up being more valuable to the team and contribute more to its overall success.

the most important questions isn't whether or not Hall will be a better player as a centre than a winger, it's whether the Oilers have a better chance of winning.

phaedrusDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
This is very debatable, regardless I don't like the idea of putting Hall where he isn't at his best. To me he is a natural winger. I guess we will find out any way.
Out of forward positions I don't think it is.

Even if Hall proves to be a better player on the wing for this team, nothing wrong with adding some versatility to his game.

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
If Hall becomes a good centre, would the Oilers keep Gagner?
I would hope so. Would be nice having 3 guys who could play top 6 center. Keep one of them on the wing and then if there is an injury you have options.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 09:43 AM
HotToddy75

On good teams, centers are the most important players. That's why they are the highest paid.

Scroll through CapGeek, or NHLNumbers, and look at each teams' top forwards. Count the number of centers who are paid top dollars, and look where they sit on the totem pole.

(Bear in mind, some players are not currently playing center on a regular basis, but in the past they perhaps have.)

STL, CAR, COL, and SJ all list 5 of their 6 top paid forwards as centers. LA is 4/5. PHO, CGY and ANA are 3/4. PIT is 2/2 with Crosby and Malkin.

2/3 teams include CHI, Van, and Wash.

EDM is 1/4. They are 2/6 by the time you include the Nuge. Very few other teams have this imbalance. Good teams are heavier on well paid centers and lighter on well paid wingers.

I also recall the story from last season that 11(?) of SJ's forwards were trained to take faceoffs, and regularly did so during games.

IMO, basic scoring wingers are a dime a dozen in the league. Scoring wingers who can defend well are then paid a premium. And big-bodied scoring wingers who can defend are the prize possession. Wingers who can defend have often played center in the past. That's why they are more valuable, that's why teams like SJ keep them around. A winger who can step into the F3 role is super valuable.

Back to Hall. If he moves to center permanently, it instantly moves the Oilers into that elite category. Once Nuge gets his second contract, we'd be a 3/4 team. It seems to be the way great teams roll.

I am hoping that Hall and management were planning to let him play wing until the Olympics this year so he could make the team as a LW. After that, he moves to C. Yak moves to LW. We roll.

HotToddy75 is offline   Reply With Quote