HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Im starting to hate Kovalev

Old
11-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Bryzga lol*

vCash: 500
Does Guy Lafleur post on HF?

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 11:51 AM
-_-

Kovalev at Center...

IMHO Kovalev is playing better since he moved to center... he mos definetly seems to be more confortable on offense and defensively I've seen him back check a lot more (of course)... but the thing I like the most is how much he helps getting the puck out of our zone (''sorties de zones'')... anyway I don't agree he isn't pushing... I think people don't realize the little things he does that seem so easy because he's that much talented and everyone expect the impossible.

-_- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 11:53 AM
laubelroc

OK

Your Nuts Who Wonts To Go On The And Noi See The Puck U Gotta Be Crazy

laubelroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 11:57 AM
laubelroc

Ya Ya

Nobody Wonts To Play With A Hog

laubelroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 12:00 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by laubelroc View Post
Nobody Wonts To Play With A Hog
Apparently you haven't met mcphee yet.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 12:01 PM
Slick Nick

Kovy's not the onw to blame IMO.. Samsonov is just crap this year, he can't handle a puck along the boards, most of his passes are interceptions, his defensive game is terrible... he does everything wrong. Add to this an unexperimented Kostitsyn, and you get that kind of result.

I think Samsonov and Kovy should be separted because it's simply not working... I believe Koivu would be a nice fit for Samsonov, but a Samsonov-Koivu-Latendresse line would be almost as scary defensively as Samsonov-Kovy-Kostitsyn.

So basically I have no idea..

maybe something like this could work.

Ryder-Koivu-Kovalev
Samsonov-Plekanec-Perezhogin
Latendresse-Bonk-Johnson

these lines are more balanced, but you need to brake up the Koivu-Lats duo and the Bonk line which is always the most reliable.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Apparently you haven't met mcphee yet.
Too much.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Judge Sauer*

OK, let's all agree that an injured Kovalev can still skate rings around a healthy Hatcher.
Even being slowed down, he can still play well. We can't keep assessing a players yearly worth after every game. I would like it if he took some tim off to fully heal though.....and yes, he is a streaky player.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 12:39 PM
GSK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Forever View Post
As much as I "hate" the looks of where this thread may end up leading to, I don't believe that problem lies with Kovalev. It is nothing new to us fans that he takes a couple of nights off (3 out of 4 games), so when we lose by a landslide, you can't single him out as being the sole reason or excuse pertaining to the loss. At times, even when we win, his effort doesn't look convincing but there is no doubt that he is a money player when it comes to the playoffs. Does that excuse his lousy regular season performances? Probably not, but I believe the true problem right now for the Habs is that we are relying too much on our defensemen for goals.

The Habs take too many point shots, many of which never make it to the net and just result in blocked shots or turnovers and a rush leading the other way. Teams can set up a defensive coverage against our 2 point men because chances are, we're going to try and find a way to feed the puck back to our defense so they can blast in a shot. We should attempt to explore more facets of the offensive game to try and create offence. I don't know what happened to all our creativity because I haven't seen much thus far this season.

Another problem is that the defense is taking too long to start a rush. How many times have we seen our defenseman with the puck in back of the net waiting for a good moment to move the puck out, and before we now it he is just passing the puck back and forth with his other d-man before it ends up leading to a turnover. By the time they try to move the puck up the ice, our forwards are at a stand still position and don't have nearly enough speed to win battles in the neutral zone. Our first pass should be from d-man to forward, not d-man to d-man. In my opinion the problem doesn't lie on Kovalev but the fact that we're taking too long to start our rush. We can't expect one player to make miracles, but we should expect a collective effort from our team to try and straighten things out.
TRUE TRUE AND TRUE!

I notice that to since 6-7 games, we never try to get a shot in the when we cut to the net in Powerplay or even at 5 on 5 we always make a back pass to the points and the D shot and often that doesn't work... Souray is OK... But c'mon Rivet is always shootin' on the players who cover himself.

We need to take more shot from the faceoff circle..

I'M NOT IMPRESSED BY KOVALE THIS YEAR, but last night game he was allright... Plekanec and him finish a +1.... Everyone was ugly... He was able to deke and shoot....

Anyway, we need a real center to play with him, he'S better RW for sure. We need a Gomez type of center or Marleau, Jokinen etc...

You can't win a Stanley Cup without two having 2 great centers and good goaltender. Just like last year (Staal, Brind'Amour) etc...

Last edited by GSK*: 11-17-2006 at 12:51 PM.
GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 12:46 PM
larue*

I agree Kovalev has not impressed me at all this year. I am really getting tired of hearing of this so called knee injury. Lame excuse ever year. As far as I am concerned he has turned into a cancer just like Ribeiro, Dags and Theo.

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 12:49 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
It's the end of the world as we know it.
And I feel fine

Let's trade Koivu-ryder-higgins-kovy-samsonov-perez to Buffalo for their top 2 lines then maybe we'll make the playoffs huh?

Last edited by tritone: 11-17-2006 at 01:00 PM.
tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 12:57 PM
larue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone View Post
And I feel fine

Let's trade Koivu-ryfer-higgins-kovy-samsonov-perez to Buffalo for their top 2 lines then maybe we'll make the playoffs huh?
Maybe ryfer and kovy.........

Old
11-17-2006, 01:10 PM
larue*

While I am on the subject of Kovalev........I am really not liking his attitude. Isnt it fun to score goals in the NHL or better yet it should be cause that is what this guy is getting paid to do. Man if I went to the bank and collected my weekly paycheck of $87,000 I would have such a big *** smile you wouldnt see my face. And another thing I dont care much for is how he gives up on a play so easily. Or gives no effort at backchecking and forechecking.
The more I watch him the more I

Old
11-17-2006, 01:15 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by larue View Post
I agree Kovalev has not impressed me at all this year. I am really getting tired of hearing of this so called knee injury. Lame excuse ever year. As far as I am concerned he has turned into a cancer just like Ribeiro, Dags and Theo.
Yes, lets get rid of the cancerous Kovy, and since Ryder will be the runner up cancer, get rid of him also, and while we are at it, get rid of
Markov - as he doesn't play with heart all the time
Souray - because of his defensive liability
Samsonov - just horrible
Rivet - never consistent
Niinimaa - ouch
yip yip, spring cleaning time. Clear out everyone except those that play with heart and effort day in day out.

Man I love the hab fans to bits. Unlike most team fans, we actually go out of our way to create cancers instead of curing them. We should have a cancer chart listing the top 10 cancers on the team. What honor it would bring the player in the number 1 position!

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Judge Sauer*

Come on now, Kovalev is 5th on scoring, getting 12 points in 18 games. For all the talk of the Habs being a special teams team, Kovalev is getting points during 5 on 5 play....an area that a lot of comentators are quick to point out that it is not the teams strong suit.

Old
11-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
Yes, lets get rid of the cancerous Kovy, and since Ryder will be the runner up cancer, get rid of him also, and while we are at it, get rid of
Markov - as he doesn't play with heart all the time
Souray - because of his defensive liability
Samsonov - just horrible
Rivet - never consistent
Niinimaa - ouch
yip yip, spring cleaning time. Clear out everyone except those that play with heart and effort day in day out.

Man I love the hab fans to bits. Unlike most team fans, we actually go out of our way to create cancers instead of curing them. We should have a cancer chart listing the top 10 cancers on the team. What honor it would bring the player in the number 1 position!

Don't forget all the or people will actually take you seriously.
Don't forget to make sure the thread is a sticky....make it a weekly poll or something.

Old
11-17-2006, 01:23 PM
larue*

I am talking about Kovalev not anyone else here.........And as far as I am concerned he has been nothing since being a Penguin and that was when he was in his prime........Shes been all down hill since then and on a depleted team as the habs are in talent,,,,shes even more down hill for Kovalev.

Old
11-17-2006, 01:30 PM
larue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro oop007 View Post
Come on now, Kovalev is 5th on scoring, getting 12 points in 18 games. For all the talk of the Habs being a special teams team, Kovalev is getting points during 5 on 5 play....an area that a lot of comentators are quick to point out that it is not the teams strong suit.
I think that equates to 55 points in 82 games.....Wow something to really get excited for especially at 4.5million per year.......or $81,800 per point.
We are really getting our moneys worth their boys.

Old
11-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
I think that equates to 55 points in 82 games.....Wow something to really get excited for especially at 4.5million per year.......or $81,800 per point.
My apologies, let's go and get Balej back.

Old
11-17-2006, 01:37 PM
larue*

Quote:
My apologies, let's go and get Balej back.
The problem is with 55 points per year and 4.5million a year you aint gettin nothing back for Kovalev. And he has 2.5 more contract years.

Old
11-17-2006, 01:42 PM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
The problem is with 55 points per year and 4.5million a year you aint gettin nothing back for Kovalev. And he has 2.5 more contract years.
You gotta admit though that he does get attention on the ice and is frequently double teamed when he has the puck. The guy has so much skill with the puck. He does like to hang on to the puck too long at times. He did play poorly during his second stint with the Rangers, but his point per game average has been getting better every year since he's been with the Habs.

Old
11-17-2006, 01:44 PM
larue*

Quote:
You gotta admit though that he does get attention on the ice and is frequently double teamed when he has the puck. The guy has so much skill with the puck. He does like to hang on to the puck too long at times. He did play poorly during his second stint with the Rangers, but his point per game average has been getting better every year since he's been with the Habs.
True dat...........Kovalev will earn his keep when the team plays in the playoffs.......I just have to be able to put up with his antics until then.......

Old
11-17-2006, 01:56 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
18 games.
Truly.
Really.
Its only been 18 games.
No lie.
Cross my heart.
No joke.
64 Games to get back on track.
Panic, world on fire. Habs are doomed???
Time for a reality check.

Old
11-17-2006, 02:01 PM
larue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
18 games.
Truly.
Really.
Its only been 18 games.
No lie.
Cross my heart.
No joke.
64 Games to get back on track.
Panic, world on fire. Habs are doomed???
Time for a reality check.
Nope.........reality is in the stats this year and the past 4 years......."Time for a stat check reality boy"

Old
11-17-2006, 02:21 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Nope.........reality is in the stats this year and the past 4 years......."Time for a stat check reality boy"
00/01 79gp 95pts if played 82, on target for 99pts
01/02 67gp 76pts if played 82, on target for 93pts
02/03 78gp 77pts if played 82, on target for 81pts
03/04 78gp 45pts if played 82, on target for 47pts
05/06 69gp 65pts if played 82, on target for 77pts

Umm...other than that one year it looks pretty good to me.
Putting 03/04 aside he would have been tops on the habs in points for all those years by a very wide margin (assuming he played 82 games of course ...besides, he's still tops in the habs even if he didn't play all 82 games).
Yes he's declining and isn't the super star that he may have been but his stats, unless I'm missing something obvious looks decent to me.
Again, it's only been 18 games. Lots of games left.