HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Russia Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2013, 01:10 PM
MaxV

vCash: 500
It's probably more like 30/70. I don't think he'll make it.

Old
09-09-2013, 11:32 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backami View Post
Nikitin? He was an average in KHL. Shows nothing in 2012 WC. NHL is not the magic word anymore. You can not fool anybody with it.
Who would you take instead? Medvedev?

Sweden, Canada and USA, the best teams in the world, will have all NHL players. You can't use KHL to beat them, like we saw at the 2010 Olympics. I didn't work in 2010, it won't work now.

Nikitin is used to playing against all those players, and maybe it was just a bad stretch of games you saw from him.

Old
09-09-2013, 11:37 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
It's probably more like 30/70. I don't think he'll make it.
If players like Perezhogin, Tereschenko, Popov, Kokarev, Morozov and Zinovyev are being considered before Yakupov, then Russia is in trouble and will almost certainly lose.

Old
09-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Caser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
If players like Perezhogin, Tereschenko, Popov, Kokarev, Morozov and Zinovyev are being considered before Yakupov, then Russia is in trouble and will almost certainly lose.
Yakupov can't be picked before Tereschenko because he isn't a center (unfortunately). And, for example, Tereschenko and Kokarev are way better then Yak in terms of defensive play and PK, so at least that's why it is hard to consider him as a proper substitute for them.

Old
09-10-2013, 10:24 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caser View Post
Yakupov can't be picked before Tereschenko because he isn't a center (unfortunately). And, for example, Tereschenko and Kokarev are way better then Yak in terms of defensive play and PK, so at least that's why it is hard to consider him as a proper substitute for them.
Malkin, Datsyuk, Anisimov, Tikhonov and Burmistrov can play centre.

Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Syomin, Anisimov, Tikhonov, Kulemin and Burmistrov can play on the PK

Old
09-11-2013, 12:36 AM
Caser

Quote:
Malkin, Datsyuk, Anisimov, Tikhonov and Burmistrov can play centre.
But in that case the correct discussion should be probably like Anisimov VS Tikhonov VS Burmistrov VS Tereschenko, not Yakupov VS Tereschenko

Old
09-11-2013, 12:41 AM
coursy17

Going off the 35 man orientation camp. This is the team I've made. Feel free to add some NICE criticism.

Semin Datsyuk Ovechkin ..no explanation needed

Kuznetsov Malkin Popov ... I know kuz is young but hes got big game abilities. I also find Malkin plays better without a big "name" on his line? no? Popov seems like a good complimentary piece to this line.

Radulov Tereschenko Kovalchuk .. Line A3 if you will.

Kulemin Anisimov Tikhonov ... good mix of grit and size. Kulemin could also play with Malkin if he was having trouble finding chemistry.
extras Tarasenko, Yakupov. I will probably receive some heat for this but they are both young and dynamic and the experience wouldn't hurt and who knows one of them might play their way onto the lineup

defense is just a list... cause?????
Markov
Gonchar .. i know both these guys have received flack but they are both experienced and offensive... gonchar might not even play much but he could be there as a dependable back up
Voynov
Medvedev
Nikulin
Nikitin
Tyutin
Denisov

BOB
BOB
BOB

Old
09-11-2013, 12:47 AM
Den

Nikitin

Old
09-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Caser

Quote:
Originally Posted by coursy17 View Post
Kuznetsov Malkin Popov ... I know kuz is young but hes got big game abilities. I also find Malkin plays better without a big "name" on his line? no? Popov seems like a good complimentary piece to this line.
Kuznetsov as left wing? Have he played there before?

Quote:
defense is just a list... cause?????
Markov
Gonchar .. i know both these guys have received flack but they are both experienced and offensive... gonchar might not even play much but he could be there as a dependable back up
Voynov
Medvedev
Nikulin
Nikitin
Tyutin
Denisov
So you think Emelin won't make it?

Quote:
BOB
BOB
BOB
I really don't understand what's up with this whole Bob's bandwagon thing, I'm probably just too old

Old
09-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Zine

Quote:
Who would you take instead? Medvedev?

Sweden, Canada and USA, the best teams in the world, will have all NHL players. You can't use KHL to beat them, like we saw at the 2010 Olympics. I didn't work in 2010, it won't work now.

Nikitin is used to playing against all those players, and maybe it was just a bad stretch of games you saw from him.
Slovakia had the same number of KHLers as Russia did. They eliminated NHL stacked Sweden and came within a last second post of taking Canada to overtime in semifinal.

Last edited by Zine: 09-11-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old
09-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Bure

vCash: 50
It's not about where you play. It's about how well you can play as a team.

Old
09-11-2013, 09:30 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caser View Post
But in that case the correct discussion should be probably like Anisimov VS Tikhonov VS Burmistrov VS Tereschenko, not Yakupov VS Tereschenko
if you want. Regardless Yakupov is good enough to make the team. He belongs in the top 8 wingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Slovakia had the same number of KHLers as Russia did. They eliminated NHL stacked Sweden and came within a last second post of taking Canada to overtime in semifinal.
luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
It's not about where you play. It's about how well you can play as a team.
It's about how good you are. Usually NHL is better than KHL, with exceptions like Kovalchuk and Radulov.

Old
09-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Zine

Quote:
if you want. Regardless Yakupov is good enough to make the team. He belongs in the top 8 wingers.

Yakupov couldn't even dominate against kids at WJC level for Russia. No way does he currently deserve to be on the olympic team.

Yakupov's great potential makes him an intriguing possibility, but he needs a BIG BIG year if he's to make Sochi. Same goes for Kuznetsov and Tarasenko.

Quote:
luck.
It wasn't luck. Slovakia showed themselves to be a quality team with the ability to not only compete with, but also defeat NHL loaded competition.

Last edited by Zine: 09-12-2013 at 03:17 AM.
Old
09-12-2013, 03:22 AM
Den

Quote:
The fourth line has its duties...which Yakupov is not familiar with

Old
09-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Caser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
The fourth line has its duties...which Yakupov is not familiar with
This.

There should be at least two wingers who can play on at least decent level in terms of defense, so it makes max 6 attacking wingers. 4 out of 6 are locks if healthy (Kovi, Ovi, Radulov, Semin), so only two wingers spots are open (ok, there will also be some reserve spots) for Yakupov, but there are also Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Kulemin etc.

But once again, a lot will depend on the next couple of months

Old
09-12-2013, 03:05 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
The correct answer is Bill thinks 4th liners need to be grinders in national tournaments for some stupid reason.

He's coaching Russia for God's sake.

Old
09-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Night_Vole

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
The correct answer is Bill thinks 4th liners need to be grinders in national tournaments for some stupid reason.

He's coaching Russia for God's sake.
Because assembling and all-star team has worked for us so well in the past. You need some role players on every team.

Old
09-19-2013, 01:25 AM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Slovakia also has some dude named Chara

Old
09-20-2013, 11:31 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Quote:

luck.

It's about how good you are. Usually NHL is better than KHL, with exceptions like Kovalchuk and Radulov.
Big ice tournament this time though. Guys like Nikulin are actually going to play well.

Old
09-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Fragmuffin

Im not seeing enough of Tikhonov in these posts... i know that Russias top 6 is for the most part set with Kovy, Ovi, Malkin, Radulov, Datsyuk and Semin but chemistry will be a big factor going into the olympics as there will not be much rehearsal time, and i for one think that if Viktor plays alongside Kovalchuk it will be a big bonus for team Russia.

Old
09-22-2013, 12:48 AM
coursy17

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
Slovakia also has some dude named Chara
Slovakia went deep because

Gaborik Demitra(rip) hossa played out of their minds.

Chara was chara

and Halak stood on his head.

Doubtful a team like how Slovakia was built will be able to attain that kind of success.

Can, Swe, Usa, Rus Probably will all be playing medal games or at least should
Findland is a dark horse because of there goaltending
Czechs are a slight dark horse.

Outside of those 4(6ish) no body else will make noise.

Old
09-22-2013, 01:46 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Bill thinks 4th liners need to be grinders in national tournaments for some stupid reason. He's coaching Russia for God's sake.
The reason is not stupid, it's actually a huge reason: we don't have enough reliable scoring forwards.

Quote:
Big ice tournament this time though. Guys like Nikulin are actually going to play well.
I think we can forget about Nikulin as a serious defensive force. He was so awful in the last World Championship, I wouldn't even consider him at the Olympic team. Sadly, he's a lock.

Quote:
Im not seeing enough of Tikhonov in these posts... i know that Russias top 6 is for the most part set with Kovy, Ovi, Malkin, Radulov, Datsyuk and Semin but chemistry will be a big factor going into the olympics as there will not be much rehearsal time, and i for one think that if Viktor plays alongside Kovalchuk it will be a big bonus for team Russia.
If Kovalchuk decides to play like he did last time, he'll be a non-factor.

Old
09-24-2013, 12:01 PM
MaxV

Quote:
You can't use KHL to beat them, like we saw at the 2010 Olympics. I didn't work in 2010, it won't work now.
I don't know if 2010 OG is the best example. It wasn't just the KHL players that failed in the tournament, NHL players played like crap as well.

At that time:

Grebeshkov played for Oilers
Volchenkov played for Senators
Afinogenov played for Thrashers
Nabby played for Sharks

Afinogenov (combined with Kovy) actually tried to do some things vs Canada, but overall this group of players was AWFUL.

And the rest of NHLers (Gonchar, Markov, Tyutin, etc.) played like crap too.

Also you had Malkin and Ovechkin just struggling to get on the same page throughout the whole tournament, including vs Canada.

Now, don't get me wrong, KHLers failed, but look at the group that was called up for that tournament:

Fedorov
Kozlov
Kalinin
ZZM line

The only place where all of these guys should have met is AARP meeting. Bykov over-valued experience and past accolades and as a result this team was really slow.

Old
09-24-2013, 12:17 PM
MaxV

Yakupov is a worse version of OV right now.

Ovechkin is great, but he also kills a lot of valuable shifts with his one man vs. the entire team rushes that mostly just end in turnovers.

Nail does the same thing right now.

We don't need that.

Last edited by MaxV: 09-24-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old
09-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
You can't use KHL to beat them, like we saw at the 2010 Olympics. I didn't work in 2010, it won't work now.
lol although I don't rate Russia's chances this argument is stupid. What about 2006? In 2006 Russia had more local players than they had in 2010. In 2006 Russia beat Sweden 5-0, USA 5-4, Canada in the QF 2-0. In 2010 Slovakia had the same amount of KHL players as Russia and came 4th.

Closed Thread