HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Flex or Stiff Shaft

Old
11-16-2006, 09:31 AM
Puckboy

vCash: 500
Flex or Stiff Shaft

Which do you like better and why

Puckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 11:16 AM
UserName

i'm assuming you mean whippy or stiff shafts on HOCKEY STICKS.

In that case, i perfer a whippy shaft because i'm light weight 6' 155 and like to use my wrist shot more so then my slap shot, a lot less effort on my part to bend/flex the stick when i'm shooting. currently i'm useing easton stealth grip 85 flex lidstrom, the pattern is sexy.

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 11:32 AM
sc37

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName View Post
i'm assuming you mean whippy or stiff shafts on HOCKEY STICKS.

In that case, i perfer a whippy shaft because i'm light weight 6' 155 and like to use my wrist shot more so then my slap shot, a lot less effort on my part to bend/flex the stick when i'm shooting. currently i'm useing easton stealth grip 85 flex lidstrom, the pattern is sexy.
Personal preference mostly. I thought I liked stiff ones, but more I shot with it, I realized I wanted something whippy. I'm essentially the same build as the guy above and was using around a 95 (yes, the Lidstrom is sweeet). I'm looking to get something in about 70-75 now. Someone told me to take your weight and divide by half to get your flex...thought it was crap, but is looking true right now for me.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Greeneye

I'm in pretty much the same boat as SC. I am using an 85 flex and I love it. Next stick is going to be a 77 flex one though, I think that will be my sweet spot. Reason I like the flex is the snap I get on wristers.

Greeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 04:12 PM
hockeystud938

im 6'2 190 lbs and use 102 flex its not too stiff and not to whippy and thats how i like it

hockeystud938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 06:46 PM
melubsdonna

I'm 5'8 abd 155 pounds...... So should I use an intermediate stick and like a 75 flex....?? I've never owned a composite but I want to get one this winter for sure.

melubsdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 02:11 AM
nikebauer

Send a message via MSN to nikebauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by melubsdonna View Post
I'm 5'8 abd 155 pounds...... So should I use an intermediate stick and like a 75 flex....?? I've never owned a composite but I want to get one this winter for sure.

im 5"6 and 145 lbs. i feel fine with a 85 flex easton stealth and i can definitely feel it flex during shooting

i think it'll bend and flex even more on my shots with more practice

nikebauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 03:01 AM
Polska

You should use the stiffest stick that you can still flex.

If you can manage to flex a very hard stick it'll snap back at a much higher velocity. So what if you can flex a noodle, it's not gonna snap back very fast and your shot will suffer. Of course if you can't flex it at all you're not gonna get any snap at all. So it's up to you to find the best balance.

I'm 5'7", 165, and use an 85 flex Stleath. It's obviously cut down though so I think it's more around a 95 flex or so.

Polska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 04:09 PM
melubsdonna

this will sound weird.. but how do you flex a stick? How do you know if you need a higher or lower flex stick?

melubsdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 04:22 PM
stugotz

Quote:
Originally Posted by melubsdonna View Post
this will sound weird.. but how do you flex a stick? How do you know if you need a higher or lower flex stick?
To flex a stick just lean on it causing it to bend, kinda simple but weird to explain.

The flex is mainly what you like, but the smaller you are the more flex you might want, like some posters mentioned they are 5'7 150 lbs or something, so a flexy stick is better because they dont have to put as much weight or power behind the shot to get a good flex. Now for someone heavier, example myself, im about 6'1 200-210 depending on my regimen, so for me it wouldnt be smart to use a 75 flex becuase it would snap like a twig, but a stiff stick would be better becuase i have more weight/power going into the shot. Does this make sence? kind of hard to explain. But this is assuming you use a one piece composite stick where you can get flexes like 75-110 or whatever they range from. Personally I use a wooden stick and couldnt be happier, Ive tried the one pieces before, TPS responce, Easton Synergy, and Mission M-1?(the blue mission composite, might be a couple years old) And my shot has never been better than with a good wooden stick, and Ive got a good shot!

Sidenote but how many of us actually bought the old Easton Aluminum sticks? what an invention thoes were, I had two of them, Big two piece aluminum stick with no flex...I still remember Wayne Gretzky sporting them.

stugotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 11:51 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
Sidenote but how many of us actually bought the old Easton Aluminum sticks? what an invention thoes were, I had two of them, Big two piece aluminum stick with no flex...I still remember Wayne Gretzky sporting them.
Was my first, Gretzky pattern. I ended up getting the Hull blades, and then the Modano, because they were the more straight curves, which I like because I get more loft on my wrist shot.

What an awesome stick that was... I really wish Easton would bring those back just for nostalgia. I'd DEFINTIELY buy one.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 04:43 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
To flex a stick just lean on it causing it to bend, kinda simple but weird to explain.

The flex is mainly what you like, but the smaller you are the more flex you might want, like some posters mentioned they are 5'7 150 lbs or something, so a flexy stick is better because they dont have to put as much weight or power behind the shot to get a good flex. Now for someone heavier, example myself, im about 6'1 200-210 depending on my regimen, so for me it wouldnt be smart to use a 75 flex becuase it would snap like a twig, but a stiff stick would be better becuase i have more weight/power going into the shot. Does this make sence? kind of hard to explain. But this is assuming you use a one piece composite stick where you can get flexes like 75-110 or whatever they range from. Personally I use a wooden stick and couldnt be happier, Ive tried the one pieces before, TPS responce, Easton Synergy, and Mission M-1?(the blue mission composite, might be a couple years old) And my shot has never been better than with a good wooden stick, and Ive got a good shot!

a whippier flex shaft will actually last longer than a stiffer stick. It's a myth that they break easier. Some companies use different materials from Junior --> Intermediate --> Senior, which is why the juniors/Ints may break easier, but the actual flex isn't causing the problem.

I'm just a touch under 6 and a little below 200. I've used everything from a 75 to a 120 at this weight, but I usually settle in around an 85-90 flex. I get the best results for my game using this.

The 1/2 your weight is a decent general guideline, but don't take it as gospel. Use what you prefer and always try out new things.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 09:38 PM
J-D

I'm 6'2'' 210 lbs and I'm using Bauer Vapor, 102 Flex. It's sweet, but I still have to work on pass reception, because sometimes it bounces out of the blade.
I got hands of stone though.

J-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 09:57 PM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
As a defenseman, I like a mid-flex type of stick. Although honestly, I just use whatever stick I have available or this Bauer aluminum that I found on a bus, it's stiff.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 10:08 PM
FLYLine27
BrassGod

Little kids use a 75 flex...if your over 5'10 or over 160 pounds use SHOULD be using 100 flexes IMO.

FLYLine27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 10:09 PM
FLYLine27
BrassGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
Personal preference mostly. I thought I liked stiff ones, but more I shot with it, I realized I wanted something whippy. I'm essentially the same build as the guy above and was using around a 95 (yes, the Lidstrom is sweeet). I'm looking to get something in about 70-75 now. Someone told me to take your weight and divide by half to get your flex...thought it was crap, but is looking true right now for me.
I'd go back to your first thought...its crap.

Old
11-19-2006, 11:21 PM
nspeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Little kids use a 75 flex...if your over 5'10 or over 160 pounds use SHOULD be using 100 flexes IMO.
no idea where you are getting this from. a lot of people around that size use a 85 flex including me. i can get a lot more zip on my shots and 100 flex is way too stiff for me.

nspeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 11:28 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Brett Hull was 5'10 and 200lbs and used a 75 flex stick. It's all personal preference.

I prefer a stiffer stick myself, simply because I feel like my release is faster and shot is harder.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 12:33 AM
Pat

I use to play with an 85 flex, but since I got my AK27 shaft in 100 flex...I'm loving the 100 flex. my wristers and slappers are faster and heavier.
it's all pp...go with what feels right. don't be afraid to experiment different flexes

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 07:39 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
6'2" 160lbs

I personally am a big fan of the 110 Flex (Easton rankings), I can get it to bend just enough for a mean slapper. I've never been able to play with a whippy stick for some reason or another.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 12:50 PM
FLYLine27
BrassGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Brett Hull was 5'10 and 200lbs and used a 75 flex stick. It's all personal preference.

I prefer a stiffer stick myself, simply because I feel like my release is faster and shot is harder.
Didn't Hull use only wooden sticks? Maybe im confusing him with someone else.

Old
11-20-2006, 02:02 PM
TBLfan

he started using composites. One-piece and two piece, I have one of his pro stock blades(that i'm trying to get rid of).

Old
12-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Berger_4_

i'm 5'9ish, 160lbs, and i use a 110 flex Synergy ST...i like the stiff sticks way more than whippy ones. I tried using an 85 flex 2 piece earlier this year, but i hated it. just too much....something. couldn't do anything with it!

Berger_4_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 09:27 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Well I switched to a 77 flex with bout an inch, inch and half cut off. I'm liking it, not too flexy but gives some extra kick to my shot. It's not flexing when I stickhandle either like my shaft I used when first starting out.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 09:33 PM
TBLfan

really? I feel like my regular flex ccm v120 flexes when I'm puckhandling. And that's like a 95 flex on the easton scale.