HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Flyers looking for trade

Old
09-10-2013, 08:33 AM
JayB

vCash: 500
Flyers looking for trade

There is lot of speculation about Flyers going to trade some of their players. Coburn, Meszaros, Read are most speculated players. What is this combo bringin to Flyers?

If we are trading defend we want to get better after trade in defend. Or if Read is gone we are going to need another top9 winger to bring size, gritty, some points and leadership.

JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 08:58 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
Forgot About Sid

The Flyers are in no position to trade away their few decent dmen in Coburn and Meszaros IMO

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:02 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
The Flyers are in no position to trade away their few decent dmen in Coburn and Meszaros IMO
Sure, but let's play Devil's Advocate here for a second: The Flyers "being in no position" to do something has never stopped them from just going ahead and doing it anyways.

I see no reason why they'd change that philosophy now.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:03 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
Forgot About Sid

you're not wrong

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:16 AM
wej20

I can't see Read being traded, he's very cheap for what he provides.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:19 AM
I3ig13ig

Think there is a way that MacT and Holmgrem start up talks again regarding Coburn? I know that they were talking about him around trade deadline before things fell through. What would Philly want?

Even though Edmonton has a slurry of dmen right now (9 competing for a roster spot I believe), they can send Belov and Kelfbom to the AHL as they are on 2-way deals and then just put Larrsen on waivers hoping he makes it to OKC and leave Grebeshkov as a 7th. (This is all assuming that another dman wouldn't be sent back to Flyers as it is apparent they are trying to unload one.)

Edmonton Defense with Coburn looks great:

Smid - Petry
Ference - J. Schultz
Schultz - Coburn
Grebeshkov

They can then role three pairings pretty equally throughout a game without worry (except with maybe N.Schultz).

I3ig13ig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:20 AM
UKFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Why Meszaros? He's spent most of the last few years on the treatment table, has a big cap hit for what he gives you, and has underperformed when he has been healthy over the past few years. I wouldn't mind holding onto him to see if he rebounds, but he's expendable.

UKFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:22 AM
caribouPINE

vCash: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3ig13ig View Post

Smid - Petry
Ference - J. Schultz
Schultz - Coburn

Oh ya!

JUST GREAT!

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:28 AM
I3ig13ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Oh ya!

JUST GREAT!

Coburn over Grebeshkov is a huge upgrade. Yeah, they don't have a surefire #1 dman, but they have 4-5 top 4 guys giving them a lot to work with from what we have had in recent memory. A lot of teams would have way worse bluelines than Edmonton. Not saying they'd have one of the best, but they would be average with the potential to be decent if guys like Petry and J. Schultz take steps forward this year.

I3ig13ig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Arent the Flyers over the cap ? Do they have the choice to not trade some salary ?

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Karlkarotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
There is lot of speculation about Flyers going to trade some of their players. Coburn, Meszaros, Read are most speculated players. What is this combo bringin to Flyers?

If we are trading defend we want to get better after trade in defend. Or if Read is gone we are going to need another top9 winger to bring size, gritty, some points and leadership.
Why trade Read? Isn't he making like less than a mil ? The flyers need to clear salary no ? Ill take Simmonds though honestly I'd be willing to throw in gormley in a package but I stand alone probably.

Karlkarotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:10 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3ig13ig View Post
Think there is a way that MacT and Holmgrem start up talks again regarding Coburn? I know that they were talking about him around trade deadline before things fell through. What would Philly want?

Even though Edmonton has a slurry of dmen right now (9 competing for a roster spot I believe), they can send Belov and Kelfbom to the AHL as they are on 2-way deals and then just put Larrsen on waivers hoping he makes it to OKC and leave Grebeshkov as a 7th. (This is all assuming that another dman wouldn't be sent back to Flyers as it is apparent they are trying to unload one.)

Smid - Petry
Ference - J. Schultz
Schultz - Coburn
Grebeshkov

They can then role three pairings pretty equally throughout a game without worry (except with maybe N.Schultz).
Problem is the oilers do not have a Pronger going on the LTIR and for those who are talking about pushing the bunus till next year need to look at who is up for contracts. For the oilers to take on Coburn they need to send a contract either to the flyers or somewhere else to make the deal work

jumptheshark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:10 AM
IceDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Arent the Flyers over the cap ? Do they have the choice to not trade some salary ?
Cant they just put Pronger on LTIR?? or have they done that already??

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
No they are not. Capgeek just confuses everybody since they count a bunch more players than a team would carry and don't account for Pronger going on LTIR.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
No they are not. Capgeek just confuses everybody since they count a bunch more players than a team would carry and don't account for Pronger going on LTIR.
Ahh alrighty ! Yea and with the Bryz buyout they have room. My bad.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Karlkarotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Ya but don't they have to wait until the season starts to put Pronger on ltir? So they would have to be cap compliant with Prongers contract for the start of the season. I could be wrong.

Karlkarotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:19 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlkarotte View Post
Ya but don't they have to wait until the season starts to put Pronger on ltir? So they would have to be cap compliant with Prongers contract for the start of the season. I could be wrong.
nope-- 24 hours before the season start or whenever he fails the physical--which we all know he will

jumptheshark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Poundcake
Esquire

vCash: 132
unless they drop smyth the oilers cant take a cap dump

Poundcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:33 AM
tucker3434

The cleary signing makes me think there has to be an agreement in principle for a meszaros trade. That or there has been significant interest. Just waiting on him to get medical clearance.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
The cleary signing makes me think there has to be an agreement in principle for a meszaros trade. That or there has been significant interest. Just waiting on him to get medical clearance.
I wanted them to trade Meszaros for a pick, but not so they could waste that space on Cleary.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:08 AM
tucker3434

Okay, so the Flyers LTIR Pronger. Are Gervais and Bourdon the two odd men out on defense? If so, I see about $1.575m in cap space. Does that seem about right?

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
Cant they just put Pronger on LTIR?? or have they done that already??
they cant put Pronger on LTIR until the preseason ends.

As of now its the cap +10%...after the preseason it drops to the cap....so they have to make moves to get under the cap...part of that is to put Pronger on the LTIR

Philadelphia wont officially sign Cleary until after the preseason...basically his salary will take up space given when Pronger goes on LTIR.

The issue with PHL roster is that they have 10 Dmen on their Roster. I think all on NHL contracts. Pronger on the LTIR gives them 9...so the feeling is they will try to trade one of their Dmen or try to send one down to AHL.

At forward cap geek has them having 13 signed. Laughton is listed on cap geek but he likely isnt on the team this year. They have 2 unsigned UFAs.

If PHL does it right where they are right near the cap without Pronger and then by putting him on LTIR gives them extra cap space.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:21 AM
SchennSational1022*

If you think they will trade Read that is asinine. Queue the annoying "but its the flyers!!!!11!1!!"

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:24 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
If you think they will trade Read that is asinine. Queue the annoying "but its the flyers!!!!11!1!!"
Trading Read to create cap space is like trying to bail out a sinking boat with a thimble. Read is a great value player this year, he's infinitely more valuable to a team like the Flyers who are tight against the cap ceiling.

I mean, maybe the Flyers will trade Read, but it will be a hockey trade, not a cap trade.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:30 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Trading Read to create cap space is like trying to bail out a sinking boat with a thimble. Read is a great value player this year, he's infinitely more valuable to a team like the Flyers who are tight against the cap ceiling.

I mean, maybe the Flyers will trade Read, but it will be a hockey trade, not a cap trade.
The only way they trade Read is if they're out of the playoff picture by the deadline. It's pretty much a forgone conclusion that they can't afford his next deal, which figures to be around 5 million or so a year based on some of the UFA contracts handed out a couple of months ago.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote