HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Gregory Campbell won’t sign photos of his heroic broken leg playoff shift for Bruins

Old
09-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

vCash: 500
Kind of embarrassing for an adult to be begging anyone for an autograph anyway isn't it?

Bizarro Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Bone for your jar

If you're involved in a dangerous sport, be it downhill ski racing, hockey, or rock-climbing, you don't tend to want to dwell on the danger per se, much less the pain and convalescence that follow. To perform at your best, and with confidence, you prefer to visualize yourself performing with mastery. I totally understand therefore if Soupy prefers not to propagate and celebrate the image of himself, grimacing, broken, and in agony. Of course fans can be inspired by such an image, but the athlete himself will not be able to draw the same inspiration from it.

So fans should just back off. Campbell sacrificed enough for us in hanging out for those 45 odd seconds to kill the penalty; he paid his dues for god's sakes, so if he says he prefers not to sign the photo, let him be.

Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom - OHL View Post
I'd rather this autograph over anyone showing him breaking a bone 8 days a week and twice on Sunday's. Seriously

Attachment 66977
I agree. I am not into autographs but if you must bug the player to sign he should be able to say "No" .

At least Soupy has said he won't sign that photo. Fans should get over themselves.

I have seen some older "fans" bug the B's to sign stuff. I think they are more willing to sign for a kid.

09-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Tuukka Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
I want you to sign a picture of the moment it happened, and if you don't, I will publicly humiliate you on the internet because you didn't want to glorify a moment where you suffered extreme pain.

Fair is fair, right?
You overestimate the "power" of the hf boards. Public humiliation? Here? Please.

Tuukka Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Tuukka Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afam View Post
its time to move on . His attention and the team should be on this upcoming season and not him refusing to sign an autograph of him breaking a legs. Smh.
And which would allow him and us to "move on" and put our attention on this upcoming season......simply signing the photo or not signing the photo and making a public spectacle of the whole thing?

Just playing Devil's advocate here.

If the goal is to simply move on and go about your business without drawing any unnecessary attention to yourself, you'd sign whatever and not say anything to the public, media, whatever.....aka, the Belichick method. By doing what he's doing, Campbell is actually doing the polar opposite of what he's supposedly preaching.

Tuukka Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 11:54 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
I agree.

Also, a bit OT, but the Chicago series really made me realize how important Cambell is. I'd trade Kelly long before him and I think he's a better player.
I think they are pretty comparable, except Kelly makes more money.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 11:55 PM
nords1995

First - They're hockey player's, not god's.
Second - If a guy (Campbell's) refuses to sign a moment freeze in a photo - I think it's his right and needs to be respected for.
Third - People also have their rights of thinking what ever they want on the player's decision's. That said HF boards is a nice place to say it.
Last - I have difficulty with the needs of getting an autograph, except for kids. More, paying for it, I don't understand but respect those who want's them. I know Pro sport athlete's are elevated to the some goodish (dieu) level I really can't understand.

My pleasure is hockey. The Bruins is my team. I like the game and am ready to pay $$ to see them, cause it is a great show, great game. I pay center Ice to see these guy plays each time I'm capable cause I love hockey. That stop's there. For the rest, Campbell can take whatever decisions he wants and may sign whatever he want's, I don't care.

That said - I will always remember the tremendous effort he brought in on that play. I am always extremely respectful for the high level and courage most of hockey player's show, especially on my Bruins team. They are elite men, playing at an international level, with extreme competition and I really respect their talents, dedication and courage.

For the rest I don't care!

nords1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 01:16 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro Bandwagoner View Post
Kind of embarrassing for an adult to be begging anyone for an autograph anyway isn't it?
Yes. Asking to take a picture with a famous person is more annoying to them however even if its a cool thing to have and show jealous people who won't believe you met someone famous without proof.

If someone collects autographs as a legitimate hobby and has done so since they were a kid and asks for the autograph to be made out to them so it can't be sold I can't blame them. Pestering celebs to sign stuff so you can flip it on ebay is something adults should not be doing though.

But the fact is if Patrice BErgeron were eating at a restaurant I'd guess over 50% of this board would probably approach him if they saw him out eating dinner even if he was literally stuffing a fork full of food into his mouth. Would be something like this.

I just wave to athletes when I see them in public and if they want to talk to a fan who recognizes them they'll holler at you and you can have a quick chat. Some do and are really cool and some just give you a wave back and appreciate you not getting up in their grill. I've never had a bad interaction with a celebrity but then again I've never bugged one for a picture or autograph (with the exception of seeing Bobby Orr in the stands at a hockey game watching a nephew of his play...but I was about 12 and I went to the pro shop and bought a stick for him to sign for me it was sweet.)

Last edited by MarshmontMcSlewfoot: 09-08-2013 at 01:22 AM.
MarshmontMcSlewfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 03:47 AM
BklyNBruiN
HFBoards Sponsor

I totally respect him for that. I would bet he would sign them in the future after his playing career. I am just glad that he is back, focused, and ready to get the season started. We needed him in the SC Finals last season. I am also very excited about our teams chances this upcoming season.. Possibly a Pittsburgh B's Conf finals rematch..

BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuukka Time View Post
You overestimate the "power" of the hf boards. Public humiliation? Here? Please.
He's referring to the original article, which was published at Puck Daddy, Yahoo's hockey site. I can't tell you their readership numbers, but it's probably among the top three hockey websites in North America.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 01:27 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

the big question has already been posed:

would he sign a can of campbells soup.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Bruinsforlife89

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
the big question has already been posed:

would he sign a can of campbells soup.
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...662.&source=42

Bruinsforlife89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 09:32 PM
BergyDGD
#Deutschland#Arsenal

Typical 4th line prima donna

BergyDGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 08:02 AM
TCL40

I agree with a photo having more meaning than an autograph. I have a photo of two of my kids with Shawn Thornton (taken after a practice before they stopped letting people ask for autographs and photos). Both of them love the picture and it IMO will carry more meaning.

That said I the Campbell can decide what he will and won't sign and I suspect part of his discomfort comes from the "hero" label (he sincerely believes a lot of players would do what he did and it is part of playing hockey) and I suspect partly due to resellers. I know he has signed some pictures of the injury and I suspect his thinking on signing them changed as he did so. His prerogative.

Now Campbell has been my daughter's favorite player since his first season in Boston. A photo of him is her screensaver on her phone. I gave her a Campbell jersey for her graduation gift and we did pay money so she could have that signed. I think if she were getting a photo signed she would choose one with The Cup.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 08:08 AM
TCL40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
I agree. I am not into autographs but if you must bug the player to sign he should be able to say "No" .

At least Soupy has said he won't sign that photo. Fans should get over themselves.

I have seen some older "fans" bug the B's to sign stuff. I think they are more willing to sign for a kid.
I think that's because a kid probably isn't going to turn around and try to sell it on eBay. Also, I think it's hard for the players to turn down a cute kid who is super excited to meet a player. The day we got the photo of my son and daughter with Thornton he shared the story for weeks.

That said I chatted with an adult fan at a game a few years back (before the cup) and his thing was collecting autographed hockey pucks from the players. Collecting autographs isn't my passion but this guy seemed passionate about it and I won't hold it against him because he is an adult (his collection started when he was a child).

Old
09-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
I think that's because a kid probably isn't going to turn around and try to sell it on eBay. Also, I think it's hard for the players to turn down a cute kid who is super excited to meet a player. The day we got the photo of my son and daughter with Thornton he shared the story for weeks.

That said I chatted with an adult fan at a game a few years back (before the cup) and his thing was collecting autographed hockey pucks from the players. Collecting autographs isn't my passion but this guy seemed passionate about it and I won't hold it against him because he is an adult (his collection started when he was a child).
Adults like that are a rarity. Most of the adult autograph hounds are professionals, and they drive the players crazy. Aaron Ward had a great rant about this a few years back during a radio interview. The players get in to say, Pittsburgh at 2 a.m., and there's a horde of what they call "seekers" at the hotel bugging them to sign mounds of memorabelia. That's what bothers them, not little kids excited to meet them or even respectful adults.

Heck, I've even seen those pros at minor league games. They're like locusts.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:28 AM
TCL40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Adults like that are a rarity. Most of the adult autograph hounds are professionals, and they drive the players crazy. Aaron Ward had a great rant about this a few years back during a radio interview. The players get in to say, Pittsburgh at 2 a.m., and there's a horde of what they call "seekers" at the hotel bugging them to sign mounds of memorabelia. That's what bothers them, not little kids excited to meet them or even respectful adults.

Oh I have no doubts the professional autograph seekers annoy the players. In think as a fan with kids who are fans that professional seekers often suck the opportunities for the kids out as well.

Personally I hate the idea that there is a business side to autographs. Part of the fun of getting something signed from a kid's perspective is seeing and meeting a player but for to profiteer it is all about the dollar signs.

Old
09-10-2013, 11:21 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Spooner is ready

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:37 AM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Exactly why I always ask to either shake hands or pound fists. Because it's not annoying to them/I'm an adult.

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgatie View Post
I don't know where you got this information, but it is complete bunk. Orr has signed that picture 100x more than any other, and he estimates he would have made millions for it if he charged for every one. They even showed him on one of the NESN specials at a signing with copies of that very photo stacked 6" high in front of him, with Bobby continuously peeling one off, signing it, and handing it to the person in line. He is one of the most humble, most generous men who ever lived and has never refused to sign anything when he knows it is for a kid or charity. My nephew has the original poster of that goal, which formerly hung over my brother's bed when we were small, signed by Bobby Orr.
I don't doubt a word you say, and I know first hand that he's as humble and generous as any man alive.

I never said he refused to sign it. I simply said he doesn't like to sign it, if given the choice.

I also said it's the one most people want signed, so yes, he has signed a lot of them.

He signed a pic for my girlfriend to give to me. It's a pic of him in the corner with Espo in the background. He told her he prefers to sign those type of pics, where he's not looking like the star.

Goes back to the humble thing, which is what I think this discussion is about with Campbell. It think it's honest humility.

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 12:59 PM
iRONic™
You know; Merlot.

Meh, his image -- his choice.

iRONic™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Mazzie

He should just sign a handful of them and sell them at a charity auction, and agree to never sign another one, ever. That would raise a ton of money, and would be a good excuse for not diluting the market.

Sort of along the same topic... obviously Campbell is not HOF material, but personally I think that a picture and the story about him playing on a broken leg should be in the HOF somewhere. It was truly an iconic moment for the sport, and speaks volumes about what it really means when people say "hockey players are tough."

Mazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 11:49 AM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzie View Post
Sort of along the same topic... obviously Campbell is not HOF material, but personally I think that a picture and the story about him playing on a broken leg should be in the HOF somewhere. It was truly an iconic moment for the sport, and speaks volumes about what it really means when people say "hockey players are tough."

I totally agree, maybe not in the HOF...but the Bruins hall of fame, or in the locker room somewhere.

I ordered this for my office

While it's a great piece of memorabilia, it is also a reminder of what it takes to succeed. I'm going to put it right in front of me somewhere as a reminder on the ****** days, how deep you have to dig to get to where you want.

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 03:07 PM
bb_fan

Just read the article and thought it was a joke.

'Dude, get over yourself'.... really? That's the authors response to the quite from Campbell?

The author could have taken a torslly different approach and played off if the humble nature please of Campbell's comments (just another play... nothing any of his teammates wouldnt have done... doesn't want to glorify an injury) and instead I think the author comes across poorly.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote