HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IV: Top-6 Center Stop Gaps? Super Heavyweights?

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2013, 12:33 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Ok we've established that Holmgren is nutty... but does this Talbot to Edmonton rumour (1st I've actually heard of it) actually have any real legs? He'd be a solid upgrade on Lander in the #4C spot.

Old
09-10-2013, 12:35 AM
tv14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Ok we've established that Holmgren is nutty... but does this Talbot to Edmonton rumour (1st I've actually heard of it) actually have any real legs? He'd be a solid upgrade on Lander in the #4C spot.
I vaguely remember hearing something about it around the deadline last year. Not sure from who, or how reliable it was.

Old
09-10-2013, 12:35 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
Thats very debatable. Also I find it funny how both go on to win cups for LA. Hard to say LA lost the Richards deal IMO.
For me it's Carter>Simmonds>M Richards. Wouldn't mind any of them on the Oilers.

Old
09-10-2013, 12:41 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

vCash: 500
Quote:
I vaguely remember hearing something about it around the deadline last year. Not sure from who, or how reliable it was.
I've never heard about it. I'd like it though. Talbot is a nice player.

Old
09-10-2013, 12:48 AM
tv14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I've never heard about it. I'd like it though. Talbot is a nice player.
I would also like him. This is what I found, must have been what I was thinking of.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-a-run-at-him/

Sounds more like speculation than rumour.

Old
09-10-2013, 01:26 AM
FreeRadicals

I like the idea of Talbot. Good on the PK, tough and plays with energy and solid character. His leg could be a concern but he's worth the risk imo. But does Philly let him go?

Old
09-10-2013, 01:52 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
I like the idea of Talbot. Good on the PK, tough and plays with energy and solid character. His leg could be a concern but he's worth the risk imo. But does Philly let him go?
Giroux, Couturier, Schenn, Lecavalier, they don't really need Talbot to be honest. Especially if they want to develop young guys like Schenn and Couturier.

This could happen but it won't.

Old
09-10-2013, 02:27 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
Giroux, Couturier, Schenn, Lecavalier, they don't really need Talbot to be honest. Especially if they want to develop young guys like Schenn and Couturier.

This could happen but it won't.
Well, if I was Holmgren, I'd certainly keep Couturier over Talbot at this point. Why not package him up with a d-man and shed a bit of salary?

Old
09-10-2013, 04:57 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I think PHI is inclined to let Schenn play W for now, especially with Briere out of the fold. With Pronger on LTIR they actually still have 2M+ in cap room, even with the alleged Cleary signing:

Hartnel-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Cleary-Couturier-Read
Hall-Talbot-Rinaldo
Rosehill

Timonen Coburn
Streit Schenn
Meszaros Grossman
Bourdon Gustaffson

Emery
Mason

Not bad

Old
09-10-2013, 05:20 AM
bozwell
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 5007
Quote:
Oiler fans here are speculating about the fact that on paper the flyers are heavily over the cap.

But they have two contracts that people are counting that will be put on LTIR.. Pronger and his 4.9mil contract and the latest news from philly land speculates that D-man Andrey Meszaros will fail his physical tomorrow or friday when their camp opens. IF both Pronger and Mez are injured that is 8.9mill onto LTIR.

Reading the CBA there seems to be different camps, some people say that the flyers can not put them on till game 2 of the season others are saying that as long as they have the NHL doctors confirm the diagnosis, they will go on 24 hours before the start of the season. Some places are saying Mez has been cleared, but earlier in the week there were reports saying he has not been cleared.. But, when you see them over the cap and look at Pronger's contract? They are under the cap by a little but under 1 mill.

They capgeek lists 25players on their NHL rosters, including 10 dmen, they can send down Gustofesen, Bourdon, and Gervais and free up 2.4 mill.

Upfront Scott Laughton is listed as being on the team, but I believe he is heading back to JR for one last year unless he lights up training camp and that is another million there.

Flyers have wiggle room depending on how you look at their roster

Old
09-10-2013, 05:50 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
Oiler fans here are speculating about the fact that on paper the flyers are heavily over the cap.

But they have two contracts that people are counting that will be put on LTIR.. Pronger and his 4.9mil contract and the latest news from philly land speculates that D-man Andrey Meszaros will fail his physical tomorrow or friday when their camp opens. IF both Pronger and Mez are injured that is 8.9mill onto LTIR.

Reading the CBA there seems to be different camps, some people say that the flyers can not put them on till game 2 of the season others are saying that as long as they have the NHL doctors confirm the diagnosis, they will go on 24 hours before the start of the season. Some places are saying Mez has been cleared, but earlier in the week there were reports saying he has not been cleared.. But, when you see them over the cap and look at Pronger's contract? They are under the cap by a little but under 1 mill.

They capgeek lists 25players on their NHL rosters, including 10 dmen, they can send down Gustofesen, Bourdon, and Gervais and free up 2.4 mill.

Upfront Scott Laughton is listed as being on the team, but I believe he is heading back to JR for one last year unless he lights up training camp and that is another million there.

Flyers have wiggle room depending on how you look at their roster
They do not have to wait until game 2 to put Pronger on LTIR. Clearly he will miss the full season.

Meszaros was cleared to play on Sept 5. My guess is that he will be traded.

Philly will be fine capwise this year but next year will be an adventure. Of course with the Flyers you never know what sort of wild moves they will make before then.

Old
09-10-2013, 08:38 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
If Oilers had Holmgren for GM and it looked like we needed help at C, he'd have signed Grabovski, Antropov and Lecavalier and then added Jagr and Iginla just to be on the safe side on the wings.

Gotta give that guy credit for not giving a tiny **** for common sense or prudent decisions.
What no Streit?

Old
09-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Can the Oilers fit Corburn and Meszaros, if that's the poison pill they have to take to make the deal?

To PHI: Nick Schultz, Corey Potter and David Musil

To EDM: Corburn and Meszaros

Not sure if it would work, but it might be a way to get something decent for a fairly low price

Old
09-10-2013, 08:41 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
For me it's Carter>Simmonds>M Richards. Wouldn't mind any of them on the Oilers.
I'd take Richards over them all, the problem with Carter is you saw what happened in CBJ. Plus we need a Richards more than a Carter.
Quote:
I would also like him. This is what I found, must have been what I was thinking of.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-a-run-at-him/

Sounds more like speculation than rumour.
There was rumors by Spector I believe saying we were inquiring on him before the TDD and that PHI might've been open to moving him. He then broke his leg or whatever and everything went cold.

I really don't know why you add Cleary and move Talbot. Then again I don't know why you give Cleary more than 1 year 1mil at this point either.

Old
09-10-2013, 08:42 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Can the Oilers fit Corburn and Meszaros, if that's the poison pill they have to take to make the deal?

Not sure if it would work, but it might be a way to get something decent for a fairly low price
We'd have to move Hemsky somewhere as well.

Old
09-10-2013, 08:43 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
They do not have to wait until game 2 to put Pronger on LTIR. Clearly he will miss the full season.

Meszaros was cleared to play on Sept 5. My guess is that he will be traded.

Philly will be fine capwise this year but next year will be an adventure. Of course with the Flyers you never know what sort of wild moves they will make before then.
I don't think it matters if he is dead or alive, there is a certain time for when they can put Pronger on LTIR. I don't know when that is though.

Old
09-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
We'd have to move Hemsky somewhere as well.
I thought there was a bonus cushion this year?

Old
09-10-2013, 08:58 AM
bozwell
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

that would be a big no from the flyers-- Schultz is number 5-6 on the oilers, Potter is a guy who should be in the AHL--Musil has potential--but Coburn and Meszarov can step in an play tough minutes.

I understand the logic of adding Schultz because oilers can not add 8.5mill in contracts without sending one back.

For me the oilers are in a worse contract cap situation then the Flyers becuase the Flyers have atleast on contract that will be going on LTIR-- oilers will be needing the bonus contract area to add anyone-- problem is that the bonus' will carry over to next year when the nuge, Petry, Justin Schultz, and a few others needing contracts.

Also, for the 14/15 season the oilers will have just two nhl ready d-men under contract. Smid and Ference. Petry and Schultz RFA, Nick Schultz, Grebeskkov, Potter, Belov will be UFA and Larson (who we do now how good or bad he is) will be a RFA

Old
09-10-2013, 08:59 AM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:

Why does Philly do that?
They downgrade significantly on defense which is already a weakness of theirs and they don't shed much salary. Edit: I guess they do with Meszaros thrown in there but still....And the Oilers don't have the space to take on those 2 contracts.
If anything, i see them dealing one of their bottom 6 forwards for a draft pick or prospect. Would love to get Talbot here somehow, i think he would fill a bigger need than Coburn at this point anyway.

Old
09-10-2013, 09:03 AM
bozwell
HFBoards Sponsor

In trying to add players, Having Hemsky and his 5mill hurts a lot more now-- for all those posters who were complaining about Horcoffs bad contract on the 3rd liner should now be lining up to bash Hemsky's contract

Old
09-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Why does Philly do that?
Because they sign Dan Cleary to a 3 year deal for $2.75M per. They be crazy....short sighted.

Quote:
They downgrade significantly on defense which is already a weakness of theirs and they don't shed much salary. Edit: I guess they do with Meszaros thrown in there but still....And the Oilers don't have the space to take on those 2 contracts.
If anything, i see them dealing one of their bottom 6 forwards for a draft pick or prospect. Would love to get Talbot here somehow, i think he would fill a bigger need than Coburn at this point anyway.
It's not a perfect fit, but Meszaros and Coburn are both better then Schultz and Potter, so generally improving the depth is never a bad thing, but I agree Talbot would be a main target, the problem is he actually has an affordable contract.

Old
09-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
that would be a big no from the flyers-- Schultz is number 5-6 on the oilers, Potter is a guy who should be in the AHL--Musil has potential--but Coburn and Meszarov can step in an play tough minutes.
You don't really get where the Flyers are, eh?

Old
09-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Spawn

Quote:

The Oilers would need to clear more salary than that. Adding $8.5 million while clearing out just under 4 doesn't work. Would love it if it would work. I think Meszaros is a guy who can still be a top 4 and we would only be asking him to play bottom pairing minutes

Smid-Petry
Coburn-Schultz
Ferrence-Meszaros

That would be the most depth we've had 1-6 since the cup run. Problem is that it just doesn't work in terms of salary cap space.

Old
09-10-2013, 09:36 AM
bozwell
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You don't really get where the Flyers are, eh?
flyers are in better cap space then the oilers. SOme oiler fans are looking at bonus space to pushing it to next year-- one problem--4 oilers are up for big money payouts and pushing the bonus' to next year is a bad thing

Pronger onto the LTIR gets them under the cap and I think they have one more player who will be tossed on the LTIR as well

Old
09-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
The Oilers would need to clear more salary than that. Adding $8.5 million while clearing out just under 4 doesn't work. Would love it if it would work. I think Meszaros is a guy who can still be a top 4 and we would only be asking him to play bottom pairing minutes

Smid-Petry
Coburn-Schultz
Ferrence-Meszaros

That would be the most depth we've had 1-6 since the cup run. Problem is that it just doesn't work in terms of salary cap space.
I doesn't work perfectly, but perhaps you can make an uglier move to make it fit.

After this deal, move Hemsky, Hamilton and 2nd to FLA for Bergenheim and Johnathan Hazen(minor leaguer)

The 2nd is for taking the full salary,

Closed Thread