HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IV: Top-6 Center Stop Gaps? Super Heavyweights?

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Moose Coleman

vCash: 500
Sounds like the Leafs might be looking to deal Kulemin. Could be had for cheap and would be a solid addition for the 3L spot, bumping Jones down to 4L and making Smyth a part timer. They won't want to add any salary, so a B prospect and a pick would likely do it IMO.

Old
09-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Sounds like the Leafs might be looking to deal Kulemin. Could be had for cheap and would be a solid addition for the 3L spot, bumping Jones down to 4L and making Smyth a part timer. They won't want to add any salary, so a B prospect and a pick would likely do it IMO.
Kulemin is another player I would really be interested in. He can slide into the top 6 in a pinch (or if he is having a good year), physical, can PK.

Problem again though is cap space. For the Oilers to fill out a complete roster (14F 7D 2G) and not send any salary, we'd have like 250k in cap space left to add him.

Old
09-10-2013, 09:50 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Kulemin is another player I would really be interested in. He can slide into the top 6 in a pinch (or if he is having a good year), physical, can PK.

Problem again though is cap space. For the Oilers to fill out a complete roster (14F 7D 2G) and not send any salary, we'd have like 250k in cap space left to add him.
Kulemin is only 2.8mil, I think you can make it work. Might have to swallow some pride and make a Hemsky deal that either includes us giving up a pick or keeping half his salary. Either that or you work with that 250k cap space as long as you can.

Old
09-10-2013, 09:51 AM
joestevens29

Might also have to make the hard move of moving Jones. Clears 1.5mil.

Old
09-10-2013, 09:52 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Kulemin is also a RW, is he not?

09-10-2013, 10:03 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Kulemin is also a RW, is he not?
Plays both sides I believe.

Old
09-10-2013, 10:15 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

While I think Kulemin would be a good upgrade to the lineup... Oilers really need to focus on centre. They are neck deep in wingers:

Eberle
Hall
Yakupov
Perron
Hemsky
Jones
Joensuu
Smyth
Brown
Omark
Eager
RHamilton

Kulemin would obviously be a very good 3rd line winger who could also play in the top 6 when injuries hit but it still leaves the Oilers weak at C... if they are going to spend what little cap they have left (especially now that Hemsky is off the market)... then Kulemin isn't really a sensible option at this point.

Old
09-10-2013, 10:20 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
While I think Kulemin would be a good upgrade to the lineup... Oilers really need to focus on centre. They are neck deep in wingers:

Eberle
Hall
Yakupov
Perron
Hemsky
Jones
Joensuu
Smyth
Brown
Omark
Eager
RHamilton

Kulemin would obviously be a very good 3rd line winger who could also play in the top 6 when injuries hit but it still leaves the Oilers weak at C... if they are going to spend what little cap they have left (especially now that Hemsky is off the market)... then Kulemin isn't really a sensible option at this point.
And if there is no centers available do we just hold onto cap space? You bring Kulemin in and I think you can move Jones at some point, which would open up some space.

Old
09-10-2013, 10:22 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

What's kind of sad is that I think there are going to be a fair number of players like this that teams are going to want to unload before the season starts (to make room for PTO players that make the cut, rookies etc)... through either trades or on the waiver wire.. and the Oilers are essentially hard against the cap ceiling and won't be able to take advantage of it.

MacT probably shouldn't have been quite so greedy in stocking up with "marginals" and waited to see what was available from other teams as they made their inevitable roster shuffles before the season began.

Teams with some cap space left (like Calgary or NYI if they don't have an internal budget) could really do well in picking up some useful players here in the next few weeks.

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 09-10-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old
09-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Spawn

Quote:
What's kind of sad is that I think there are going to be a fair number of players like this that teams are going to want to unload before the season starts (to make room for PTO players that make the cut, rookies etc)... through either trades or on the wiaaver wire.. and the Oilers are essentially hard against the cap ceiling and won't be able to take advantage of it.

MacT probably shouldn't have been quite so greedy in stocking up with "marginals" and waited to see what was available from other teams as they made their inevitable roster shuffles before the season began.

Teams with some cap space left (like Calgary or NYI if they don't have an internal budget) could really do well in picking up some useful players here in the next few weeks.
Problem for a team like the Flames picking up utility players is that that is sort of all they have. If you are a team that has a strong core these utility players are great. But if you dont have that core they are just bleh.

Old
09-10-2013, 10:24 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

In the interim, Kulemin-Gordon-Jones would be a much better third line than anything involving Smyth or Joensuu. But I don't see it how it works without finding a way to trade Nick Schultz. If there was a market for that player at that price, I think Tom Gilbert would have filled it.

Old
09-10-2013, 10:27 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
What's kind of sad is that I think there are going to be a fair number of players like this that teams are going to want to unload before the season starts (to make room for PTO players that make the cut, rookies etc)... through either trades or on the wiaaver wire.. and the Oilers are essentially hard against the cap ceiling and won't be able to take advantage of it.

It's the way he wanted to go, take a chance on marginals and hope for a gem. The other issue is while we loaded up on all these marginal players there is nothing stopping us from burying Grebs, Larsson, Belov, Joesnuu?

If they aren't good enough they don't neccasarily have to make the team.

Old
09-10-2013, 10:31 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
And if there is no centers available do we just hold onto cap space? You bring Kulemin in and I think you can move Jones at some point, which would open up some space.
Well if all the bonuses are hit the Oilers will actually be ~$3.5 million over the cap this season as their roster sits right now. Obviously one of Potter/Larsen will go down to get down to a 23 man roster and that cuts about a million or so... but again they will probably be over the cap if the players with performance bonuses (Yakupov, RNH, JSchultz, Belov) play well and achieve them all... which is always a possibility.

I don't really think the Oilers have much cap to hold onto. Adding Kulemin and getting rid of a Jones helps but they'd still be over the cap and essentially borrowing from next year... especially if the cap doesn't rise as much as people (like Holmgren obviously ) think it will.

Old
09-10-2013, 10:32 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Problem for a team like the Flames picking up utility players is that that is sort of all they have. If you are a team that has a strong core these utility players are great. But if you dont have that core they are just bleh.
It's probably better than playing rookies that don't deserve to play. That and if they can get utility guys for pennies on the dollar they could very well flip them at the TDD for a good return.

Old
09-10-2013, 10:35 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Well if all the bonuses are hit the Oilers will actually be ~$3.5 million over the cap this season as their roster sits right now. Obviously one of Potter/Larsen will go down to get down to a 23 man roster and that cuts about a million or so... but again they will probably be over the cap if the players with performance bonuses (Yakupov, RNH, JScultz, Belov) play well and achieve them all... which is always a possibility.

I don't really think the Oilers have much cap to hold onto. Adding Kulemin and getting rid of a Jones helps but they'd still be over the cap and essentially borrowing from next year... especially if the cap doesn't rise as much as people (like Holmgren obviously ) think it will.
I doubt they hit all the performance bonuses. Didn't Toews hit all his when he won the Conn Smythe?

Old
09-10-2013, 10:42 AM
GreatKeith

Quote:
It's probably better than playing rookies that don't deserve to play. That and if they can get utility guys for pennies on the dollar they could very well flip them at the TDD for a good return.
The problem is if they don't develop then they're stuck in limbo. There's only so many average forwards you can have and the flames are chock full of them.

Old
09-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Oilers4life1987

I was wondering if one of Palazzesse or Rimmer sign with the Oilers. That is another position in which we lack depth.

Old
09-10-2013, 11:03 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
The problem is if they don't develop then they're stuck in limbo. There's only so many average forwards you can have and the flames are chock full of them.
I don't know how it hurts. Better to have proven guys just in case those kids can't play in the NHL. If you find out the rookies can play then you just play the vets less and look to move them. Far better than the alternative of just playing rookies and having no backup plan.

Old
09-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:

Eberle
Hall
Yakupov
Perron
Hemsky
Jones
Joensuu
Smyth
Brown
Omark
Eager
RHamilton

A lot of those players really suck, I hope you realize. To be neck deep in depth, you have to actually have more than three or four good players. I'd rather have Kulemin jumping Into the top six than Joensuu or Smyth FFS that would be awful.

Old
09-10-2013, 11:17 AM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
In trying to add players, Having Hemsky and his 5mill hurts a lot more now-- for all those posters who were complaining about Horcoffs bad contract on the 3rd liner should now be lining up to bash Hemsky's contract
It was Horcoffs term that I didn't like, way too long.

Old
09-10-2013, 11:29 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Why get Kulie when we have Hemsky on the third line already

Old
09-10-2013, 11:32 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Why get Kulie when we have Hemsky on the third line already
They play different games. Kulemin can be more suited for the 3rd line if there is no room in the top 6.

Old
09-10-2013, 11:39 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
They play different games. Kulemin can be more suited for the 3rd line if there is no room in the top 6.
you do realize Kuli has been playing top 6 minutes in TO for the last few years?

He has nearly ZERO grit and the oilers already have enough players like that

Old
09-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
you do realize Kuli has been playing top 6 minutes in TO for the last few years?

Kulemin would have been second on the Oilers in hits and lead the forward core in hits by double the next skater (Mike Brown).

"Grit" is more encompassing than just hits, but you do realize how short you're selling the player... right?

Old
09-10-2013, 11:47 AM
joestevens29

Quote:

Zero grit? The guy had 122 hits last year, enough to make him in the top 20 for hits by forwards. Was also 2nd on TO in penalty kill time, which was the 2nd best PK in the league.

ya we have a lot of those players.

Closed Thread