HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread Part 3: Eskies 3-9, I ain't even mad now

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-09-2013, 02:27 PM
  #701
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,576
vCash: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Do we really? Like you said, it's not the same for Oilers, for hockey. Fans march to those games like lemmings and it's not like we have an NBA team or an MLB team to cheer for.

The Oil Kings have helped me through these extended lean times but again, it's hockey.
They march to Oiler games because a lot more people have lived and breathed hockey their whole life. A lot of people played hockey growing up and have a lot of time invested in the sport, Football not as much.

Times are different. We have hundreds of TV channels and many sports to watch. If the Esks suck and you can watch a free MMA card or flip between 4 NFL games or whatever, then you lose fans. Before people didn't have options.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-09-2013, 02:29 PM
  #702
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,576
vCash: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
It's because CFL is perceived as bush league by the younger generation. I'm 23 and I have numerous friends that watch NFL religiously, but scoff at any mention of the CFL. I have one buddy who's a Bears fan that got mocked throughout the offseason because they hired Trestmann as their HC for no other reason than he came from the CFL.

In the NFL you have sold out 80,000 seat stadiums, superstar players, 32 teams and top notch TV coverage. You have none of that in the CFL, which unfortunately leads it to getting dismissed.
Having only 8 teams is part of why it's viewed a joke.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-09-2013, 02:30 PM
  #703
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
They march to Oiler games because a lot more people have lived and breathed hockey their whole life. A lot of people played hockey growing up and have a lot of time invested in the sport, Football not as much.

Times are different. We have hundreds of TV channels and many sports to watch. If the Esks suck and you can watch a free MMA card or flip between 4 NFL games or whatever, then you lose fans. Before people didn't have options.
That concept is kind of foreign to me. I generally love sports but I have a difficult time maintaining interest in something when the emotional investment is lacking. I'll watch like ten, fifteen minutes of an NFL game and then *click*.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
09-09-2013, 02:49 PM
  #704
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,576
vCash: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
That concept is kind of foreign to me. I generally love sports but I have a difficult time maintaining interest in something when the emotional investment is lacking. I'll watch like ten, fifteen minutes of an NFL game and then *click*.
That is a difference between the old generation and new generation. That and eventually people get an emotional investment.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-09-2013, 02:52 PM
  #705
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
If they did this, they would be waving goodbye to probably half of their game revenue.
Oh no doubt about it. They should just skip the football part and just have a huge outdoor bar for 4 hours every 1nd weekend.

Beerfish is offline  
Old
09-09-2013, 03:26 PM
  #706
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
It's because CFL is perceived as bush league by the younger generation. I'm 23 and I have numerous friends that watch NFL religiously, but scoff at any mention of the CFL. I have one buddy who's a Bears fan that got mocked throughout the offseason because they hired Trestmann as their HC for no other reason than he came from the CFL.

In the NFL you have sold out 80,000 seat stadiums, superstar players, 32 teams and top notch TV coverage. You have none of that in the CFL, which unfortunately leads it to getting dismissed.
This is a comment that I used to hear but haven't heard much lately. Across the country, in places like Regina, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton young people have taken up the CFL game, they are going to games, and they are being fans. This wasn't the case in the 90's but for some reason the younger demographic do follow the CFL again. Not sure why. But the CFL is doing great in Western Canada and better than ever.

Replacement is online now  
Old
09-09-2013, 03:30 PM
  #707
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Then they don't know what they're missing. The athletes aren't as good but the rules make for a faster, more exciting game.

I'm now cheering for the Bears so those dolts can see that good things come out of this league.
Good things have always come out of this league and how soon that is forgotten. This being the league that gave Warren Moon a chance at starting QB when no NFL franchise was willing to at the time. Which is shameful btw and not all that long ago. Bigotry being alive and well in the US and operating in many ways.

Who can forget Doug Flutie getting his chance here before the NFL.

People can cheer the NFL, and are free to, but the CFL has often times been the more enlightened league showing the way and trying out players and schemes the NFL wouldn't consider.

Replacement is online now  
Old
09-09-2013, 03:36 PM
  #708
Krut
Registered User
 
Krut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This is a comment that I used to hear but haven't heard much lately. Across the country, in places like Regina, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton young people have taken up the CFL game, they are going to games, and they are being fans. This wasn't the case in the 90's but for some reason the younger demographic do follow the CFL again. Not sure why. But the CFL is doing great in Western Canada and better than ever.
That may be true for Regina, but definitely not for Edmonton. Out of all my friends, many if which are sports fans, not one could give a rip about the CFL. I don't see young people flocking to games in Calgary or Vancouver either.

Krut is offline  
Old
09-09-2013, 03:51 PM
  #709
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
That may be true for Regina, but definitely not for Edmonton. Out of all my friends, many if which are sports fans, not one could give a rip about the CFL. I don't see young people flocking to games in Calgary or Vancouver either.
You need better friends.





.......







.......









I am jk around with that.

Replacement is online now  
Old
09-09-2013, 04:04 PM
  #710
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan
 
Paralyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
You need better friends.





.......







.......









I am jk around with that.
...No you weren't...stop the charades

Paralyzer is offline  
Old
09-09-2013, 04:24 PM
  #711
popo
Registered User
 
popo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
That may be true for Regina, but definitely not for Edmonton. Out of all my friends, many if which are sports fans, not one could give a rip about the CFL. I don't see young people flocking to games in Calgary or Vancouver either.
I believe the numbers of people playing organized football is growing. Of course anyone who plays football are playing Canadian football. Those playing the game usually watch both NFL and CFL, because they love football.
I see lot's of young people attend games in Calgary and Edmonton, at all levels- High School, CIS, CFL.

popo is offline  
Old
09-09-2013, 04:34 PM
  #712
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Evil Empire
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This is a comment that I used to hear but haven't heard much lately. Across the country, in places like Regina, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton young people have taken up the CFL game, they are going to games, and they are being fans. This wasn't the case in the 90's but for some reason the younger demographic do follow the CFL again. Not sure why. But the CFL is doing great in Western Canada and better than ever.
Reason: Booze.

Most people under the age of 30 that you see at Commonwealth have a beer in each hand. I'm one of them. Mind you, I actually am a fan of CFL football and the liquor is just a accessory, but for a lot of people the liquor is the main event. If you stop selling booze at Commonwealth, I bet you crowds drop by 5000 people in an instant.

The CFL is doing better than ever TV-numbers wise. I'm not so sure about people actually bothering to go to games though. Calgary used to routinely sell out games during the Garcia and Dickenson era, now they don't even sell out Labour Day with an 8-2 team. Our attendance has of course eroded over the last 8 years. BC gets some decent crowds due to the new stadium and the fact that they've been a contender pretty much every year for over a decade now. But the fact that they need both those conditions just to flirt with 30,000 people in a city the size of Vancouver is alarming. Sask has obviously had a big resurgence with a much better team and much better economy than previous decades. They sell out their own barn, and boost attendance in Calgary and Edmonton when they play here.

Kyle McMahon is offline  
Old
09-09-2013, 04:37 PM
  #713
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,576
vCash: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Reason: Booze.

Most people under the age of 30 that you see at Commonwealth have a beer in each hand. I'm one of them. Mind you, I actually am a fan of CFL football and the liquor is just a accessory, but for a lot of people the liquor is the main event. If you stop selling booze at Commonwealth, I bet you crowds drop by 5000 people in an instant.

The CFL is doing better than ever TV-numbers wise. I'm not so sure about people actually bothering to go to games though. Calgary used to routinely sell out games during the Garcia and Dickenson era, now they don't even sell out Labour Day with an 8-2 team. Our attendance has of course eroded over the last 8 years. BC gets some decent crowds due to the new stadium and the fact that they've been a contender pretty much every year for over a decade now. But the fact that they need both those conditions just to flirt with 30,000 people in a city the size of Vancouver is alarming. Sask has obviously had a big resurgence with a much better team and much better economy than previous decades. They sell out their own barn, and boost attendance in Calgary and Edmonton when they play here.
Didn't the numbers drop when they shut CW's down? Then again part of that was playing games on Wednesday and Thursday

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-09-2013, 07:11 PM
  #714
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Evil Empire
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Didn't the numbers drop when they shut CW's down? Then again part of that was playing games on Wednesday and Thursday
Yeah there used to be 2000 people hanging out there each game. I don't imagine all 2000 continued going to games and sitting in their seats.

Kyle McMahon is offline  
Old
09-09-2013, 08:51 PM
  #715
chrisj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
I think many people also discount ticket prices as a reason for attendance drops. It's significantly more expensive to go to a game now than it was even 7-8 years ago, especially on the "cheap" ticket (as we discussed in a previous thread).

chrisj is offline  
Old
09-09-2013, 09:06 PM
  #716
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Hervey and the Eskimos are in trouble with the CFLPA now after Hervey's comments about Rottier.

Quote:
The Edmonton Eskimos’ general manager took his team to task last Tuesday, putting all of his coaches and players on notice. The most pointed comments of the day were directed at offensive lineman Simeon Rottier.

“It wouldn’t bother me if he did not play another down this year,” Hervey said.

On Monday, the Canadian Football League Players’ Association came to the defence of Rottier, who did not play in Friday’s loss to the Calgary Stampeders.

“The CFL Players’ Association considers recent comments made by Edmonton Eskimos general manager Ed Hervey to be both inappropriate, and contrary to the collective bargaining agreement,” a press release posted on the players’s association site reads.

As TSN pointed out on Friday night, in singling out Rottier, Hervey is in violation of an often overlooked section of the CBA that prohibits such talk.


It just keeps getting better and better.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...veys-comments/

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
09-09-2013, 10:00 PM
  #717
Six in O6
Registered User
 
Six in O6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I think many people also discount ticket prices as a reason for attendance drops. It's significantly more expensive to go to a game now than it was even 7-8 years ago, especially on the "cheap" ticket (as we discussed in a previous thread).
Yeah. I agree with this. Prices haven't got much better, considering the economic situation. This is a big problem for me, as a season ticket holder. I think they can afford to discount kids tickets significantly or student prices a bit better.

On the state of the game, I think the CFL is doing just fine in the way it markets itself. To put it in perspective, the NFL is the likely one of the best sports leagues in the world. The production value and commitment is amazing. However, there are hundreds of college programs that graduate thousands of players each year and the fact is that there are only 40 pro football teams in North America. The NFL is the best of the best, the top 1%. You can't compare. I love both games, but I'm not particularly attached to an NFL franchise like I am the Eskimos.

Six in O6 is offline  
Old
09-10-2013, 12:07 PM
  #718
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,576
vCash: 427
Edmonton Eskimos ‏@cfl_esks 2m
Hervey: Having Simeon re-enter the lineup as part of our 42-man roster is what we feel gives us our most competitive roster.

Edmonton Eskimos ‏@cfl_esks 3m
Hervey: I’ve had a chance to meet with & talk extensively w/Simeon & we acknowledge that I want him on the team & he wants to be on the team

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-10-2013, 12:25 PM
  #719
Hockey Nightmare
The Nuge is Huge
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,259
vCash: 500
I love this team.

Hockey Nightmare is online now  
Old
09-10-2013, 12:33 PM
  #720
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Edmonton Eskimos ‏@cfl_esks 2m
Hervey: Having Simeon re-enter the lineup as part of our 42-man roster is what we feel gives us our most competitive roster.

Edmonton Eskimos ‏@cfl_esks 3m
Hervey: I’ve had a chance to meet with & talk extensively w/Simeon & we acknowledge that I want him on the team & he wants to be on the team
Good..... god.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
09-10-2013, 12:41 PM
  #721
Del Preston
Fire Eakins
 
Del Preston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,156
vCash: 522
Hervey should have said he was misquoted or it was taken out of context.

Del Preston is offline  
Old
09-10-2013, 01:01 PM
  #722
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Edmonton Eskimos ‏@cfl_esks 2m
Hervey: Having Simeon re-enter the lineup as part of our 42-man roster is what we feel gives us our most competitive roster.

Edmonton Eskimos ‏@cfl_esks 3m
Hervey: I’ve had a chance to meet with & talk extensively w/Simeon & we acknowledge that I want him on the team & he wants to be on the team

Translation: "I received a letter from the CFL on behalf of the CFLPA, and they are threatening hefty fines/suspensions. My own lawyers have instructed me to back off my comments and feign some love for Rottier and promise I will never do this again. I still think Rottier is a piece of ****, but I will do whatever it takes to help get me out of this current mess and have to learn to keep these comments in private."

Stoneman89 is online now  
Old
09-10-2013, 01:04 PM
  #723
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,736
vCash: 500
It's a gift that just keeps on giving, this team.

I can only imagine how awkward that "meeting" was.

Digger12 is offline  
Old
09-10-2013, 01:42 PM
  #724
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,576
vCash: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Translation: "I received a letter from the CFL on behalf of the CFLPA, and they are threatening hefty fines/suspensions. My own lawyers have instructed me to back off my comments and feign some love for Rottier and promise I will never do this again. I still think Rottier is a piece of ****, but I will do whatever it takes to help get me out of this current mess and have to learn to keep these comments in private."
From what I gather from Mike Morreale on specs show just a minute ago, the PA won't be happy until there is punishment. They are still pissed that players get fined the next day, but not Hervey.

Good on Spec for asking the hard questions though there was no real answers.

What pisses me off is the PA views this as something that makes the league as a whole look bad, yet they can't see how the Williams situation is going to screw them up going forward with imports.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-10-2013, 04:25 PM
  #725
Valhallis
Registered User
 
Valhallis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
So what if Rottier actually was a detriment to the team and having him on that O-line makes us considerably weaker? Now because our GM spouted off we're forced to have him in the lineup? Geezus...

I can't even...this team...

Valhallis is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.