HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Martin Gernat has earn 5 game within Oilers

Old
08-20-2013, 01:54 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
He will get signed. The biggest thing about Gernat is he has a huge variation in potential. Meaning he has a big upside. Odds are he will turn into nothing, but, he has a rare package, being big and very talented offensively. Watching him play he reminds me a lot of Tyler Myers.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 02:07 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFDBFD View Post
Thanks, Roof Daddy! That makes it a lot clearer.

A Petry without the brainfarts would indeed be a good addition.

So, the picture I'm getting here a positionally sound D-man with a sprinkling of offensive upside. Probably not a great asset to have in an offense-based fantasy pool
The thing about the SEL is that most young d-men don't put up many points. Erik Karlsson only got 10 points in 45 games in his one season in the top tier league. Now he's the best d-man in the world according to some. Stat lines for d-men are rarely impressive in the SEL

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 02:19 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
The thing about the SEL is that most young d-men don't put up many points. Erik Karlsson only got 10 points in 45 games in his one season in the top tier league. Now he's the best d-man in the world according to some. Stat lines for d-men are rarely impressive in the SEL
The only guy(s) with impressive stat lines in the SEL were Rundblad and Hedman. The guys like Brodin,Karlsson, Larssen, OEL did not have good numbers in that league (OEL was swede-1)

And I somewhat agree with the Edler comparison. But I think Klefbom is starting his career with better defensive ability and less offensive ability than Edler did.

He may develop into a Seabrook type guy or an Edler type guy. Seabrook is probaly 70% Defense 30% offense and the opposite is true for Edler.

His first year in NA should tell us of how his offensive game translates and which guy he could be like. Just hoping its not a Barker

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 02:27 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
The only guy(s) with impressive stat lines in the SEL were Rundblad and Hedman. The guys like Brodin,Karlsson, Larssen, OEL did not have good numbers in that league (OEL was swede-1)

And I somewhat agree with the Edler comparison. But I think Klefbom is starting his career with better defensive ability and less offensive ability than Edler did.

He may develop into a Seabrook type guy or an Edler type guy. Seabrook is probaly 70% Defense 30% offense and the opposite is true for Edler.

His first year in NA should tell us of how his offensive game translates and which guy he could be like. Just hoping its not a Barker
Its a great point. I think scouts have this down pretty well, but most fans don't. The Sweedish league has such a massive differnt style of play it is hard to really judge who will do well in the NHL. Guys that play parameter games excell in the SEL and often flop hard in the NHL. Omark is a classic example. Meanwhile some guys who are great up down skaters do brutal in the SEL and excel here. Klefbom has the exact characteristics of a guy who should excel in the NHL. He is not at all a parameter player.

Old
08-20-2013, 03:14 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Have you seen Alex Plante play? The Musil/Plante comparison is ridiculous
Is Musil better than Plante?

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 03:18 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Is Musil better than Plante?
Absolutely. He's a much more agile skater, and doesn't look like he's handling a grenade any time he touches the puck

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Lindo

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
He will get signed. The biggest thing about Gernat is he has a huge variation in potential. Meaning he has a big upside. Odds are he will turn into nothing, but, he has a rare package, being big and very talented offensively. Watching him play he reminds me a lot of Tyler Myers.
Gernat already signed his ELC back in April. I hope he goes to the AHL, but it's looking pretty crowded

Lindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 09:11 PM
oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Gernat already signed his ELC back in April. I hope he goes to the AHL, but it's looking pretty crowded
That's a great situation to have. If Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin and Gernat all make it then our dcore in 3 yrs will be dynamic and we'll be in our new home.

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Lindo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
That's a great situation to have. If Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin and Gernat all make it then our dcore in 3 yrs will be dynamic and we'll be in our new home.
Agreed, I'm interested to see how much of Gernat's offensive game translates to the pros.

Lindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 11:57 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Lets stick to AHL roster for now...

Klefbom-Fedun
Marincin-Gernat
Musil-Teubert
That's a flat out sick group of d-men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post
I don't think there's any way him or Musil make the OKC roster this year. Assume Belov and Grebeshkov make the EDM roster, that leaves:

Larsen
Potter
Marincin
Klefbom
Fedun
Davidson
Hunt
Leach

all of whom are probably going to be above Gernat/Musil.

In related news that is a really impressive AHL defense assuming it stays like that.

We could always send Larsen and Potter down to the Stockton Thunder.

On the other hand, Gernat and Musil could play down there so that they'd get more ice time.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
We could always send Larsen and Potter down to the Stockton Thunder. .
Larsen and Potter are way better than Gernat, Musil and Marincin. They will not end up ECHL. They will be laimed off the waivers. Optimally Larsen and Potter or at least one them should be traded to the teams which seek to dump some salary. We can still take a player back with higher salary to fill needs somewhere else in our roster.

Broilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Broilers

Nice article by Cult of Hockey. He has a strong belief that Gernat will make the team at some point of the future. I agree. Gernat needs 2 years to establish himself as a pro and probably 3-4 years to become NHL regular

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...t-this-season/

Old
08-26-2013, 05:37 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
Larsen and Potter are way better than Gernat, Musil and Marincin. They will not end up ECHL. They will be laimed off the waivers. Optimally Larsen and Potter or at least one them should be traded to the teams which seek to dump some salary. We can still take a player back with higher salary to fill needs somewhere else in our roster.
I disagree, I think Marincin is already better than both. If Larsen and Potter make the oilers it is only because they don't want to let Marincin sit in the press box.

Old
08-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
I disagree, I think Marincin is already better than both. If Larsen and Potter make the oilers it is only because they don't want to let Marincin sit in the press box.
I don't know anything about Larson but from his resume I expect him and Potter are similar.

N. Shultz
Belov (potentially)
Potter
Greb
Larsen
Insert line of some NHL experience here.
Klefbom
Maracin
Fedun

The terrible thing here is there is such a small difference between even N. Shultz and Fedun "potentially" but in known NHL capabilities there is a solid line for those that have proven, even to a small extent, that they can play in the NHL as opposed to someone who hasn't aka Maracin.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 06:58 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Marincin is still a bit raw and not strong enough to be effective in the NHL. He's 2 years away, IMHO. Have never seen Larsen, but Potter is a legitimate No.7 d-man on most teams.

Old
08-27-2013, 01:12 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Marincin is still a bit raw and not strong enough to be effective in the NHL. He's 2 years away, IMHO. Have never seen Larsen, but Potter is a legitimate No.7 d-man on most teams.
Potter is probaly equal to Marincin right now. And both would play similar roles/have similar effectiveness in the NHL next year as a PP guy. Marincin is raw, so Id rather have Potter play ugly NHL minutes and Marincin get prime AHL developmental minutes

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 01:16 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Potter is probaly equal to Marincin right now. And both would play similar roles/have similar effectiveness in the NHL next year as a PP guy. Marincin is raw, so Id rather have Potter play ugly NHL minutes and Marincin get prime AHL developmental minutes
This.

He deserves a fair shot at camp, but there's no need to rush D prospects. He's turning into a stud. Let him build up his skills and confidence in the AHL and bring him in when he can play in the top 4.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 01:50 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
I don't think we have enough cap space to take a salary dump in a trade.

MeestaDeteta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 08:18 PM
SchultzSquared

It is best now for Marincin to start in the A for the minutes... and best for Gernat to be in the ECHL for the same reason... I like Gernat and his upside as much as anyone... but let's be real... He has 120 games in high level junior hockey experience (WHL) where Marincin had already one season in Slovak Extraliga before even stepping in the Dub

(Assume NHL D is Smid/Petry/Ference/J. Schultz/N. Schultz/Belov/Potter)

OKC

Grebeshkov-Larsen
Marincin-Fedun
Hunt-Klefbom
Davidson

Bakersfield

Leach-Burgdoerfer
Haines-Gernat
Musil-Bidlevskii
Cunningham

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 08:24 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
There's no way Musil is on the bottom pairing in the ECHL. If him and Gernat both start in the ECHL, they'll be the top pairing

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 03:29 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
It is best now for Marincin to start in the A for the minutes... and best for Gernat to be in the ECHL for the same reason... I like Gernat and his upside as much as anyone... but let's be real... He has 120 games in high level junior hockey experience (WHL) where Marincin had already one season in Slovak Extraliga before even stepping in the Dub

OKC

Grebeshkov-Larsen
Marincin-Fedun
Hunt-Klefbom
Davidson

Bakersfield

Leach-Burgdoerfer
Haines-Gernat
Musil-Bidlevskii
Cunningham
There is no way Grebeshkov will be playing in the AHL, unless he completely bombs in the training camp. With all the emphasis on puck movement and transition, I would think he's way ahead of N.Schultz on depth chart.

IMHO, our depth chart on D at the moment looks the following:

NHL:
Petry
Smid
J.Schultz
Ferrence
Belov
Grebeshkov
N.Schultz

waiver wire candidates:
Potter
Larsen

AHL, excluding AHL veterans:
Klefbom
Marincin
Fedun
Davidson
Musil
Gernat

Old
08-28-2013, 03:32 AM
oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post

OKC

Grebeshkov-Larsen
Marincin-Fedun
Hunt-Klefbom
Davidson

Bakersfield

Leach-Burgdoerfer
Haines-Gernat
Musil-Bidlevskii
Cunningham
Either fans like it or not, Grebs is playing in Etown. He's not coming over to play in OKC.

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Broilers

Gernat had a good rookie camp game. I agree with Oilersnation's Kevin McCartney who wrote following things.

#78 Martin Gernat: Gernat was among the most impressive and surprising players in the game to me. His work along the offensive blue line was by far the best in a game that included a host of highly rated defencemen. I believe all of his point shots were on net, of which there were many, and it was his line walk and shot that created the Khaira goal. He was one of few Oilers able to generate offence. He made one very confusing pinch to the offensive corner, and was clearly not a shut down defender with spacious gaps and not much desire to close out lanes. But his transition game was good and his coverage patien

Old
09-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

If Gernat doesn't pan out as a Dman I would love to see the organization try and convert him into a LW.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 01:25 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Put Gernat and Musil in the ECHL so they don't get overwhelmed, the former isn't defensively responsible enough for the AHL and the latter needs to learn how to skate better than Alex Plante.
I thought Musils skating looked a bit better in the young stars tournament then years previous.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote