HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Kickstarter for More Durable Composite Stick

Old
09-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
Kickstarter for More Durable Composite Stick

http://kck.st/18PqFkk

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...dget/card.html

Last edited by Jarick: 09-10-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Changed the title to make it look less spam-y. Looks interesting. Would be curious to know how the performance changes.

Will retail for $300 CAD? Maybe sell for $250 or so USD?

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Sundinology
The Holiest Mackinaw

vCash: 50
somehow work the phrase "StickStarter" into your bio and youve got yourself an investor

Sundinology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 12:50 PM
do0glas

Very interesting, if the feel lasts as long as they say it does this stick could be my first top end purchase, ill probably put some money into the project.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 01:47 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
The pessimist in me says if the stick is more durable wouldn't that inhibit future sales?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 02:03 PM
mbeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The pessimist in me says if the stick is more durable wouldn't that inhibit future sales?
That's what I was thinking and it's probably at least part of the reason the big companies aren't considering this (or are they? I don't know). That said, there's probably enough demand for this idea to gain some traction.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 02:53 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
"Enhanced longevity, durability, and a significantly reduced risk of unexpected, catastrophic failures" doesn't mean indestructable. I'm curious as to what the warranty will be.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 04:49 PM
scryan

The thing that gets me is that the composite sticks are not so breakable because they are composite...

Its because composites were used to make a lighter weight stick with better flex characteristics...
We have more durable sticks... they just weren't light and didnt have the same whip.

The composite sticks are not fragile because they are composite.. they are fragile because they are designed to the limits of the material.
If you no longer design to the limits of the material, why are you even using it? Sure it will still be a composite stick... But you will have designed out the benifites of using composites in the first place.

scryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 03:18 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Interesting, my biggest concern is that it will be too stiff. The project page says the first sticks will only be in a 85-90 flex, that's way too stiff for me even in a regular composite stick. I'd like to demo one though, they should really consider running a demo thru the big hockey regions.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 05:33 PM
mattcoco35

I've pledged, can't wait to get my hands on it!

First test - the two hander over the cross bar after getting beat as a D-Man!

mattcoco35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 08:13 AM
madmutter
I heff to be med

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryan View Post
The thing that gets me is that the composite sticks are not so breakable because they are composite...

Its because composites were used to make a lighter weight stick with better flex characteristics...
We have more durable sticks... they just weren't light and didnt have the same whip.

The composite sticks are not fragile because they are composite.. they are fragile because they are designed to the limits of the material.
If you no longer design to the limits of the material, why are you even using it? Sure it will still be a composite stick... But you will have designed out the benifites of using composites in the first place.
You are absolutely right, you could make a hockey stick out of current composite materials that would be basically indestructible, there would just be a big tradeoff between durability and performance.
It sounds like this company is using materials in their stick to add durability without significantly affecting performance or adding too much weight that haven't been used for hockey sticks before. If it works, then it will be progress in hockey stick technology.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

From what I could tell, it sounds like a very thin layer of metal between layers of composite material. It seems to retain its flex, but not sure about the performance (weight and how quickly the stick returns to shape i.e. kick). There's pro stock sticks out there that have extra layers of graphite, even kevlar or fiberglass for durability, so that's not new. Still, a stick that should be much more impact resistant would be interesting.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 12:25 PM
ean

Any updates?

ean is offline   Reply With Quote