HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2013-2014 NFL Thread (Week 1!)

Old
09-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Lundsanity30

vCash: 500
its not just about great qbs both teams have. how does one team cover all the playmakers? u cant, both teams are loaded

Also, I believe Giants fans (and NY fans do this alot) are overreacting based on 1 game.. Wilson also fumbled early in the season last year and then rode the pine and then when he was put back late in the year he was absolutely phenomenal averaging over 5 yards a carry week to week. I still believe Wilson is going to be a very very good RB for us, I still believe we need to sign a vet RB as a backup and a GL threat because i don't see Scott being that.

Last edited by Lundsanity30: 09-10-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:13 AM
Lundsanity30

So now that my head is cleared from the week 1 meltdown.. Here are my observations on the New York Giants.

The Passing game is going to be very explosive, you simply can't have enough DB and Lbs to cover all the weapons the Giants offense possesses.. Cruz, Nicks, Randle, Myers, and Murphy is even a deep threat in a game.. If the OL gives Eli some time to throw, he's going to be able to pick apart almost any defense because you simply can't cover everyone.

The Running game... The important thing here is to NOT overreact from what happened with Wilson in week 1. The guy fumbled in his first game last season as well, and then sat on the bench as the Giants couldn't run the ball for God knows how long only to be re inserted towards the end and not fumble one time and average over 5 yards a carry week to week. The back up being Darrell Scott however is a serious issue.. If Wilson were to get hurt, Scott is your starting RB, that simply can't happen. The Giants need to bring in a vet RB (Mcgahee, Turner) in case Wilson gets hurt and someone who can pound the ball in on the goal line. I think we've seen alot from Jacobs and he's simply not the guy to get the ball into the end zone on the GL.

The linebackers... As usual, the Giants Linebackers are awful, so there is nothing new here.. Reese really needs to get with the program and start to draft or sign some quality LBs. I know he feels all that matters is "getting to the QB" and that's why he values DE's, but we need some sort of talent in the middle.

I thought the defense overall played very solid.. The giants secondary was much better than I thought it would be, it was the Linebackers trying to cover Witten (who again torched us because of that very reason) that really hurt the team. Prince is a stud DB, Ross and Thomas both played well in their 1st games back.. the DE's started to create some pressure on Romo towards the end when needed the most, and that was with a JPP that nots fully healthy, no Damonster Moore, among others. Overall I believe the Giants DE and DBs will be fine this season, LB is still a huge concern.

The Giants turned the ball over 6 times and came within a TD of beating the Cowboys in Dallas.. The Giants will simply not turn the ball over that much this year (actually no team will). Therfore the Giants offense is going to be very tough, if the D plays like it did in the 1st game, I believe the Giants will be just fine.

Back to NY for a tough game with the pass heavy broncos, should be a great one, and definitely a shoot out..

Old
09-10-2013, 09:33 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Agreed with pretty much everything said except this. Prince is a fantastic corner. He's hardly ever targeted and when he is he tends to make plays more often than not.
The pessimist in me is not satisfied with Prince. I want more. I believe he is our best DB, but he still hasn't shown me enough.

I brought this up last season, and I don't know if this is a coaching thing or a Prince thing, but off the line of scrimmage he gives the guy he's guarding way too much space. Regularly 7-10 yards of separation. I also don't think he's as much of a ball hawk as I want my #1 guy to be, but I gotta give it up to him in the Dallas game for making one or two great plays on the ball before Mundy obliterated him.

I also want to see more emotion out of Prince. I understand that he's a soft-spoken, play speaks for itself kind of guy. But I'd love to see a little "cocky" celebration out of him every once in a while after breaking up a pass, or making a big tackle. Which I also I have to give to Prince, he is a great open-field tackler.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:30 AM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Randle is a bigger, stronger and talented, Manningham.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
The pessimist in me is not satisfied with Prince. I want more. I believe he is our best DB, but he still hasn't shown me enough.

I brought this up last season, and I don't know if this is a coaching thing or a Prince thing, but off the line of scrimmage he gives the guy he's guarding way too much space. Regularly 7-10 yards of separation. I also don't think he's as much of a ball hawk as I want my #1 guy to be, but I gotta give it up to him in the Dallas game for making one or two great plays on the ball before Mundy obliterated him.

I also want to see more emotion out of Prince. I understand that he's a soft-spoken, play speaks for itself kind of guy. But I'd love to see a little "cocky" celebration out of him every once in a while after breaking up a pass, or making a big tackle. Which I also I have to give to Prince, he is a great open-field tackler.
He can't show more if no one throws at him. There's a reason he's hardly ever targeted. Dude is one of the better corners in the league already.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Randle is a bigger, stronger and talented, Manningham.
Less of a nipplehead, too.

Old
09-10-2013, 12:44 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

I agree with some others in that I think Wilson will be a great back for us he was awesome last year when he got his chance, I also thought we needed to sign a veteran back before brown got hurt and even more now, what if Wilson goes down with an injury Scott clearly isn't cut out to carry any kind of serious load. I think turner is our best option right now I like mcgahee but he's a speed guy and his legs are an injury concern, turners more of a power back and can fill in for what we needed brown to do.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 03:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Jacobs coming back.

Paul Schwartz ‏@NYPost_Schwartz 5m
Giants and Brandon Jacobs having a reunion, Will sign today after workout. #nyg

09-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Kind of inevitable. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Lundsanity30

ugh he's not a goal line back. we really couldn't get it in on the goal line with him before

Old
09-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Jacobs? Are you ****ing kidding me? What a disaster.

Old
09-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
The guy is a genuine fan of this team and knowing this is likely his last year / years, will be giving it his all.

Still, I would like another RB than jut BJ. A simple blocking/receiving back. Why aren't we using Torain/Lumpkin? They were acceptable last year. DJ Ware is a free agent.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Faxius

As long as he can gain a couple of yards while holding on to the ball, I'm happy.

Faxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Lundsanity30

Wilson should still be the guy though. one bad game last season too early on, then he never fumbled again.

Old
09-10-2013, 05:53 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He can't show more if no one throws at him. There's a reason he's hardly ever targeted. Dude is one of the better corners in the league already.
I'll concede here, because I readily admit to not knowing much about football. But from what I've seen from Prince, and how I want my corners to play, he's not there yet.

Next week against Peyton, if he plays (I'm sure he won't), I'm going to do my best to keep track of how many times they target Prince, knockdowns, INTs, and completions.

As for Jacobs... I'll never understand why so many Giants fans hate him. I ALWAYS liked Jacobs, and I can't wait to see #27 on the field again... Except he probably won't wear 27, even with Stevie out for the year.

(EDIT - #34 according to the Giants Twitter)

Only problem is I picked up McGahee in fantasy... Now I have to drop him, and pick up Jacobs.

He has chemistry with Eli, is familiar with Gilbride, can block, and is a great power runner complement to David Wilson. Nothing wrong with this decision IMHO.

Not to mention, a solid veteran RB presence to have around Wilson every day.

Old
09-10-2013, 05:56 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Wilson should still be the guy though. one bad game last season too early on, then he never fumbled again.
Yeah, because he didn't see the offensive side of the ball 'til like December

From week 2 to the bye week last season (11), Wilson had 16 rushing attempts.

Old
09-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

It's the defense, not the offense I am worried about next week.

Amukamara out means it'll be Webster, TT, Ross vs the world. Hosely will get snaps in the dime set, but I don't want J Williams off the field ever.

Go nickel set package with

Kiwanuka-Joseph-Tuck-JPP
Williams-Rivers

Webster-TT-Ross

Mundy-Rolle

And try to stop the passing game.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

I've always loved Jacobs and his bad attitude.

09-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Lundsanity30

is it confirmed Prince is out?

Old
09-10-2013, 08:23 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

SNY blog has Prince as in:

http://bigblueblitz.com/prince-amuka...gainst-denver/

09-10-2013, 08:51 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I've always loved Jacobs and his bad attitude.
Let's hope it's no longer bad.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Yeah, Prince is good to go. I'd be shocked if they threw at him when they can throw at Webster. Why would you risk throwing at Prince when you can throw at Webster?

Old
09-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Lundsanity30

Webster himself was good last week. I think our DBs may actually be underrated.

Old
09-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Webster himself was good last week. I think our DBs may actually be underrated.
Yep, Webster had a good game. I won't knock him. But it's one game after two years of getting torched and a full preseason of getting torched. We shall see how he does next weekend.

The way Prince handled Dez last Sunday was astounding.

Old
09-10-2013, 10:29 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Welker is gonna feast on LBs out of the slot, that much I am sure of.

Pass rush must show up.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote