HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blue Jays vs Mets at Olympic Stadium

Old
09-10-2013, 06:43 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Let's hope Montreal native Anthropoulos is still there for the Jays....at least that's one thing we have in common with Toronto...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:03 AM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
I'll probably go and take the kiddies too. Should be fun.

Shawn Wilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:06 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 500
I will definitely go with as many people as I can. Like every other time I went to the Big O since the expos left I am sure I will be overcome with nostalgia and sadness because of how pitiful that place looks now. Nothing's changed in there except for dust accumulating

Last edited by Strik_IX: 09-10-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Alexdaman
Ferret Lover/Master

vCash: 50
I gotta go back to the big O to watch some baseball at least one last time, so... count me in.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

People need to wake the **** up. This is about evenko making another money printing event and the Jays expanding their reach. It is not in any way about baseball returning to Montreal because that will never happen.

This is about exploitation of a 4 million person market who lost baseball.

I can't believe anyone would be naïve enough to believe that this is a renaissance

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
People need to wake the **** up. This is about evenko making another money printing event and the Jays expanding their reach. It is not in any way about baseball returning to Montreal because that will never happen.

I can't believe anyone would be naïve enough to believe that this is a renaissance
I don't think anyone believes that this is a major stepping stone towards getting a team back.

For me, it's an opportunity to see baseball at Olympic Stadium for the first time in a decade and a chance for this city to show it still has a baseball pulse. It's unlikely we'll ever get a team back, but this is a chance to send a message to MLB that this city should at least be given consideration the next time a team is looking to relocate.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:59 PM
1UP

Quote:

I go watch the Capitales pretty regularily because I like Baseball. Having an MLB game 3 hours away means I'll go see it.

I don't think there are many people here naive enough to think it's going to bring a tear to Mr. Selig's cold, dry eyes.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:06 PM
LoonieDeals

I hope The Jays don't suck next year as much as they do this year.

LoonieDeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:10 PM
MayorFord

Quote:

yes its a cash grab, but what message would it send if no one goes. In a sense its a win-win for both the Jays who think of expanding their fan base and for the rest of us who need to make a statement to the business community to show there is still support for a team.

MayorFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Let's go Mets!

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:55 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Let's hope Montreal native Anthropoulos is still there for the Jays....at least that's one thing we have in common with Toronto...
I loved he mentioned "this is a first step" in creating interest for Baseball in Montreal. And he plans to do more in the near futur.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 12:00 AM
DaHabMan

yuck...the effing jays....disgusting...anyone but that crap team from that crap city. this is just a money grab from the jays....nothing more. i for one will not be spending my money on the jays ans mlb

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 12:12 AM
RealityBytes
Trash Remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo999 View Post
I doubt very much this sells out. They're spring training games. For the sake of Montreal baseball fans, I really hope it does sell-out though.

I can see crowds in the 40-45k range, slightly less for the second game. I think they might even be banking on the some Torontonians making a wekeend of it in Montreal and upstate NY Mets fans to make the trek.

Also, I predict this is a precursor to the Jays holding a regular season weekend series at the BigO. Not because mlb wants to bring baseball to montreal but the Jays want to expand their reach. They have a market of 3.5 million people that gets all the national networks, more specifically sportsnet.
How many? One third of Canada's population lives within 200 miles of the Roger's Center, that's closer to around 11M people as their market base. Ontario has 38.7% of Canada's population (13.5M people) and the bulk of that is grouped in the "golden horseshoe" of southern Ontario clustered in and around Toronto.

RealityBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 12:37 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo999 View Post
just like a regular jays game.

if i didn't have to travel for 18+ hours, i'd totally go, you mother****ers better not let me and future expos down

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 01:26 AM
brec7

Quote:

I do believe Montreal has a chance to send a message with this event, but that's not saying that this isn't mostly true, to be honest. I think it's mainly the Jays just trying to expand their fanbase.

Only somewhat related, as someone in Nova Scotia who was an Expos fan, please tell me there's more Marlins resentment in Montreal than Nationals resentment!

brec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:

It's big-league baseball. In our big-league city. That's good enough for me.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
It's big-league baseball. In our big-league city. That's good enough for me.
I still remember you as Jags68Vlady27

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
We are still far away from seeing Baseball back in Montreal. Look at hockey for example and the Habs always playing a pre season game in Quebec, it's been a few years now and they haven't got hockey back. Might in the future with their new building, but for us and Baseball I don't see it happening for at least another 5+ years

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Burke the Legend

Is this going to be pre-season or regular season games?

This is great if regular season, I try and catch a few Jays games in Toronto anyway each summer, but if they're trying to dump pre-season games on us, forget it! I refuse to watch pre-season sports, let alone pay for it!

Burke the Legend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Is this going to be pre-season or regular season games?

This is great if regular season, I try and catch a few Jays games in Toronto anyway each summer, but if they're trying to dump pre-season games on us, forget it! I refuse to watch pre-season sports, let alone pay for it!
It's both teams final 2 pre season games. Most think they will have mostly starters

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
I hate the Leafs. More than the Bruins. But I'm fine with the Jays. It is the only Canadian team.....I hope they do win. Besides, they are the one responsible for the games to be played in Montreal....Not going to tell you all what to do...but not the wisest idea to come out in bunch and boo the Jays......If it's the only thing we can have for the next 20 years....well might as well make sure it becomes a regular thing. Applaud the Jays....Expos comes back and plays in their division....and THEN boo the Jays like there's no tomorrow. Pretty good plan, I think....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 01:07 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo View Post
yes its a cash grab, but what message would it send if no one goes. In a sense its a win-win for both the Jays who think of expanding their fan base and for the rest of us who need to make a statement to the business community to show there is still support for a team.
huh, something along the lines of "if you want our cash, give us something worth spending on"......

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 01:16 PM
walsy37

Very mixed feelings about this. I miss my Expos and would love to get them back - but this will not help us at all to that goal and has the potential to hurt us if they only draw 15,000 - 20,000 people. On the flip side, even if we get 45,000 + people, the feeling will be that it does not show in any way the ability to support a team for 81 games. I am relieved that it is not the 'gNats or the Marlins.

At least it gives baseball fans a chance to vent (verbally or with signs) about Loria/Samson/Selig.

BTW - Bud Selig is retiring soon. while he would never approve Montreal getting baseball back, he'll be gone!

walsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
huh, something along the lines of "if you want our cash, give us something worth spending on"......
The problem is that the message that will be received is more along the lines of: "Montreal doesn't give a **** about the MLB and baseball at large."

I wouldn't be watching much baseball on TV if we ever got a team, but I'd be one of the first in line for tickets. I loved going to the big O with my buddies for a game and I will definitely be there for this event.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post

if i didn't have to travel for 18+ hours, i'd totally go, you mother****ers better not let me and future expos down
Holy over reaction Batman...So I am a mother****** if I don't go to watch a baseball game ? Geez.....take a Valium or something.

Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote