Notices

Some Savard Love

Old
11-18-2006, 08:35 AM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Some Savard Love

I was one of the many here who wasn't that thrilled on this UFA pickup. Heck, I believe when I was 26 you could put me between Kovalchuk and Hossa and I'd get 60 points. I was skeptical somewhat but Savard is good, some night very good. A legit second line center in any era. His package (hockey) would fit well in the 60's to ealy 90's game- a bit edgy, pranksterish, and outstanding offensive vision. his defense has been questioned and his penalty composition are drawbacks but then again that could be said about many players especially in the 70's and 80's when offense was king. I admit the defense part I have not been overly focused on with him, moreso what he does when he gets the puck.

All in all, i'll second the post about Bergeron, Savard, and Kessel down the middle for the next few years as absurb riches. Kessel should be hitting his enormous potential as Savard enters the the later half of his contract. Bergeron and Kessel as a one-two punch down the middle in 4 years (at age 25 and 23) should be something that should keep the Bruins in excellent shape.

(although if either have a couple of bad games we may have many here question there heart, skills, contract, selection of SUV, or whatever and have a bunch of 100 post trade threads )

I've converted over- I seen enough to like this guy alot. What I would love to see is if the Bruins somehow could find a young winger like Bondra was in his day to pair up with this guy. Muzz is fine right now and doing very well but Muzz to me is still a long shot to be here next year and Savard has 3 more years and without finishers on the wing is wasted. (also major reason why trading Muzz for Nabby is ridiculous)

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 08:41 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
I love the guy too. He's actually more well rounded in his game then I thought he was. He is a premeire setup man, and plays a pretty dam good defensive game.

Bergeron-Savard-Kessel up the middle is going to be as good as it gets in a couple years IMO. B37 and I could play wing with one of those guys setting us up.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 08:52 AM
Bruwinz37

I like it more and more every day...but I had concerns too.

It will be important to have established depth next year as we get into a bit of a salary crunch and will need to rely on some guys to step up from Providence. Team could look alot like this:

Kalus-Bergeron-Boyes
Axelsson-Savard-Murray
Sobotka-Kessel-Karsusms
Marchand-Krejci-Donovan

Now obviously it is a reach saying Marchand and Sobotka will assume two spots, but they may need to if we do the right thing and resign Stuart.

Defense then would like this if we trade Mara:

Chara-Alberts
Stuart-Stuart
Lashoff-Jurcina
Sigalet

That will bring us to almost 40 million before goalies and assuming we trade Mara without picking up salary back which is very unlikely.

Depth down the middle will be key.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 09:25 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
I like it more and more every day...but I had concerns too.

It will be important to have established depth next year as we get into a bit of a salary crunch and will need to rely on some guys to step up from Providence. Team could look alot like this:

Kalus-Bergeron-Boyes
Axelsson-Savard-Murray
Sobotka-Kessel-Karsusms
Marchand-Krejci-Donovan

marchand, sobotka and krejci...doubtful. don't forget chistov too. pelletier, walter and stastny would be much more likely to be in boston, IMO. i'd be happy with krejci in providence for another full year unless he comes into camp and blows the doors off management. i think pelletier would be a great 4th liner - speed and tons of try...what's clear though is that boston has a ton of forward prospects, and we've already seen redenbach get dealt away...i think at least one or two more guys will be sent packing before next fall.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 09:42 AM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

That is a great trio of centers we have there. All young, even for Savard who's 29, with super-skills. We need to give them wingers and we'll succeed. I like that they are finally giving Kessel some skilled wingers instead of defensive type who wouldn't score in the Ocean in Primeau and Donovan. Those two are perfect 4th liners tough and are well slotted there. If only Lewis could end his love affair with Mowers and bring back Stastny full time, it would be another plus.

Getting forwards who can score should be at the top of Chiarelli list. Not getting a tender. Thomas/Toivonen will be just fine especially with Chara and friends in front of them. The ship is strting to go in the right direction and, besides Thomas playing like we know he could, our 3 skilled centers are one of the big reason why we are.

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 12:24 PM
toomanymen

His package (hockey)

Well done!

toomanymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Path Of The Beserker
Greasy Swede

I was VERY surpirsed we got him and almost made a pee pee when i saw Chara as well. I didnt care for the coin we paid for him at the time but after seeing a couple games on the tube I really dont mind now, hes enjoyable to watch from what i have been able to see so far. To bad we didnt have a better winger for him than Murray though, probably be even more enjoyable . eh.

Path Of The Beserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 01:51 PM
punkaddict

don't know

I guess Iím weird because I was more excited about saver singing then chara. Iíve like this guy since he was with the wolf pack.

punkaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Cheesy

I'm already a huge Savard fan until he gives me a reason not to be. But so far he's been exactly what I expected in the good ways (offensive game, passing, vision, speed, chippiness), and none of the bad things I had heard about him (bad defensively, bad locker room guy, etc.). Definitely a great signing and I'm excited as hell about him so far. That number change did wonders for him!

Cheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 07:54 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
marchand, sobotka and krejci...doubtful. don't forget chistov too. pelletier, walter and stastny would be much more likely to be in boston, IMO. i'd be happy with krejci in providence for another full year unless he comes into camp and blows the doors off management. i think pelletier would be a great 4th liner - speed and tons of try...what's clear though is that boston has a ton of forward prospects, and we've already seen redenbach get dealt away...i think at least one or two more guys will be sent packing before next fall.
I did forget about Chistov, but I wouldnt be shocked to see Krejci up at some point this year. He is lighting up the AHL now. I like Pelletier too. Sobotka is a guy I just have a feeling on. Neither of us have seen him, but he is playing in a men's league and playing the type of game this team needs. Marchand, well maybe I am jumping the gun, but who knows.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Gator Mike

I knew he was good, but after watching him night in and night out for a while, I have to say that I had no idea he was this good.

I had been really underrating him. He's got such great vision, and he always seems to do the right thing with the puck. He's even better defensively than I thought he was.

Gator Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Reckless Abandon*

I've always been a Savard fan, and was excited when he came. I like him a lot especially because he's pretty quick.

Reckless Abandon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 12:37 PM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I was one of the many here who wasn't that thrilled on this UFA pickup. Heck, I believe when I was 26 you could put me between Kovalchuk and Hossa and I'd get 60 points. I was skeptical somewhat but Savard is good, some night very good. A legit second line center in any era. His package (hockey) would fit well in the 60's to ealy 90's game- a bit edgy, pranksterish, and outstanding offensive vision. his defense has been questioned and his penalty composition are drawbacks but then again that could be said about many players especially in the 70's and 80's when offense was king. I admit the defense part I have not been overly focused on with him, moreso what he does when he gets the puck.

All in all, i'll second the post about Bergeron, Savard, and Kessel down the middle for the next few years as absurb riches. Kessel should be hitting his enormous potential as Savard enters the the later half of his contract. Bergeron and Kessel as a one-two punch down the middle in 4 years (at age 25 and 23) should be something that should keep the Bruins in excellent shape.

(although if either have a couple of bad games we may have many here question there heart, skills, contract, selection of SUV, or whatever and have a bunch of 100 post trade threads )

I've converted over- I seen enough to like this guy alot. What I would love to see is if the Bruins somehow could find a young winger like Bondra was in his day to pair up with this guy. Muzz is fine right now and doing very well but Muzz to me is still a long shot to be here next year and Savard has 3 more years and without finishers on the wing is wasted. (also major reason why trading Muzz for Nabby is ridiculous)
I think Savard is a legit 1st line center. He was definitely 1st line in Atlanta and is pretty much 1st line in Boston too.

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 08:43 PM
Cheesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
I think Savard is a legit 1st line center. He was definitely 1st line in Atlanta and is pretty much 1st line in Boston too.
He has made his line the first line, even though they weren't necessarily penciled in that way to start the season. He pretty much took control of the situation.

Cheesy is offline   Reply With Quote