HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Go through sharpening's really fast

Old
09-11-2013, 06:32 AM
RPHockey53

vCash: 500
Go through sharpening's really fast

My whole life I've always gone through sharpenings really fast... like 1 or 2 games or practices... now that I'm older its starting to **** me off... why do I lose edges so easy? Maybe because I'm a heavy skater? IDK... any reasons why this might be happening?

RPHockey53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 07:19 AM
thevil
Lets go Aves?

It could be because you are a heavier player, it could also be your blade if it is low quality or something., or you just really go hard during practices and games, or it could be a combination of all of it.

thevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Chau

My guess would be steel quality.

Chau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 12:29 PM
AIREAYE

What steel/skates are they?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 01:18 PM
intangible

I weigh about 220-230, and when I used to get 1/2" I'd get them sharped every 1-2 skates. Now I go with 3/8"FBV (100/1), which gives me the sharpness I need for my turns (3/8") and also the glide I need since I'm heavier (which I got from 1/2"). I've also noticed I can now go 2-3 WEEKS on a typical sharpening, which is nice.

If you haven't tried FBV yet, try it. And try it two more times because my first three times I hated it before finally finding the right cut.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 01:58 PM
mistrhanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
I weigh about 220-230, and when I used to get 1/2" I'd get them sharped every 1-2 skates. Now I go with 3/8"FBV (100/1), which gives me the sharpness I need for my turns (3/8") and also the glide I need since I'm heavier (which I got from 1/2"). I've also noticed I can now go 2-3 WEEKS on a typical sharpening, which is nice.

If you haven't tried FBV yet, try it. And try it two more times because my first three times I hated it before finally finding the right cut.
I am quite interested in this. I definitely had the same problem. I had a pair of skates from Flite. Cheap skates to be sure but I have huge feet so I have incredibly limited options. I am also a bigger guy 230-240 and found that I need them sharpened about every 5 skates or so and was running 1/2 cut. I recently purchased a pair of Reebok 12k's and the steel is much, much better and I think it really shows. I have skated about 10 hours on them now and don't feel any need to get them sharpened yet. They seem to hold an edge much longer.

I also have some bad mechanical issues in my skating. I tend to lean on my inside edges instead of the outsides. This causes numerous problems as to what I can do on the ice, but I also think it leads to a much faster wear situation.

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 02:07 PM
intangible

No doubt that all those things can lead to more wear on the steel. I'm also a goalie and, as I put it, I "skate like a goalie."

The best part about 100/1 (which is a "rarer" FBV cut) is that it keeps me from losing an edge when I do tight turns. While I might be heavy, I'm pretty fast and have quite a bit of momentum when I get going. If I try to turn with a 1/2" cut, sometimes I'll lose it and 230 lbs slamming into the boards isn't pretty. Doesn't feel great, either. So by going with 100/1 I'm able to maintain the glide I need (so I don't sink into the ice when I skate) and I'm also able to make those tight turns without blowing a tire. The best of both worlds, no doubt!

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote