HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Training Camp/General Oiler news thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-11-2013, 02:07 PM
MikeModano9

vCash: 500
The donuts I understand but the coffee Dallas!! That's like taking away heroine.

Old
09-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeModano9 View Post
The donuts I understand but the coffee Dallas!! That's like taking away heroine.
And that's a bad thing?

Old
09-11-2013, 02:20 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
And that's a bad thing?
dat caffeine withdrawal, brah

Old
09-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I love everything that Eakins is saying and I especially love that he isn't Mr. Smiles and Sunshine/Positivity like Krueger but I think that he and MacTavish are in for a rude awakening. Still, it's nice to establish expectations.

Last edited by Moonlapse Vertigo: 09-11-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old
09-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
dat caffeine withdrawal, brah
Let me rephrase that,

And Dat a bad thang?

Old
09-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Oilception

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Wow, Eakins cracking the whip already. Bag skate on the 1st day? I hope that will inspire the players to not have to go through one again.
Obviously not the same.
But when I was in high school volleyball and basketball tryouts used to start with a 2 hour try out filled with sprints and suicides and push ups etc. to make sure people were fit and actually wanted to be there and didn't just dog it/not try (if they did thy were cut)

Sucked at the time but the strategy I like! Glad to see Eakins cracking down on it

Old
09-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

I'd like to see the results of the bag skate tomorrow
I'm guessing Hall lasts the longest, Yakupov a close second

Old
09-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

All the coaches have wanted super fit teams, but what happens when you have 4 games in 6 nights and players slack off? does he bench the players that do? Will be have the balls to sit Hall if he dogs it on a back to back?

Expectations are great and all, and I really don't want to be a negative nancy, but let's be real here. These are professional players, they're always in tremendous shape, how much more 'in shape' can they be? mid season we'll see what's up with this conditioning.

He would have to basically transform everyones eating and living regime to establish his buy in. That also means no more going out to Knoxville after a loss.

Old
09-11-2013, 02:30 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
All the coaches have wanted super fit teams, but what happens when you have 4 games in 6 nights and players slack off? does he bench the players that do? Will be have the balls to sit Hall if he dogs it on a back to back?

Expectations are great and all, and I really don't want to be a negative nancy, but let's be real here. These are professional players, they're always in tremendous shape, how much more 'in shape' can they be? mid season we'll see what's up with this conditioning.

He would have to basically transform everyones eating and living regime to establish his buy in. That also means no more going out to Knoxville after a loss.
There is Andrew Ference in shape and there is Dustin Penner in shape.

Players slack and i can see him benching guys.

Old
09-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Dabomb

wonder if we will see Eakins talk about a player at training camp not being in the right shape condition like he did with Kadri.

Old
09-11-2013, 02:38 PM
awesomo
HARD!

someone actually asked Eakins about the donuts lol

his response was something about, you better enjoy those because youll never see them again

Old
09-11-2013, 02:43 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
someone actually asked Eakins about the donuts lol

his response was something about, you better enjoy those because youll never see them again
Yeah, I think they had a previous media day kinda thing and that's what he said then. So, he was true to his word.

Old
09-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
There is Andrew Ference in shape and there is Dustin Penner in shape.

Players slack and i can see him benching guys.
I agree with you, but was Penner really not in shape? He just didn't use his size as we wanted him to. As quoted, it's "not in his DNA".

Just saying, we can want all we want, but how much more energy can we squeeze out of these guys? It seems the whole, "in shape" thing is dominating the headlines here.
We should be talking about the organizations mental compete level. I want to see our guys playing damn hard, finishing bodychecks, forechecking and not giving up on plays. Is the reason they are easy to play against relative to their fitness?

Old
09-11-2013, 02:46 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
I agree with you, but was Penner really not in shape? He just didn't use his size as we wanted him to. As quoted, it's "not in his DNA".

Just saying, we can want all we want, but how much more energy can we squeeze out of these guys? It seems the whole, "in shape" thing is dominating the headlines here.
We should be talking about the organizations mental compete level. I want to see our guys playing damn hard, finishing bodychecks, forechecking and not giving up on plays. Is the reason they are easy to play against relative to their fitness?
Penner did come in out of shape.

But ya your second paragraph pretty much hits the nail on the head. Although some players think they are giving 100% and don't know they have that extra gear

Old
09-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:

Fitness is step one to bringing a mental compete level. Once the players get that they need to stay fit, they will realize that they can do more than they did before which increases their confidence level. Then once the confidence level kicks in, the mental compete level will come right behind it. I remember when I started working out, I was surprised how little pushups I could do. Once I kept pushing myself harder and harder, I gained more confidence and gained a more competitive edge.

Old
09-11-2013, 02:48 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I love everything that Eakins is saying and I especially love that he isn't Mr. Smiles and Sunshine/Positivity like Krueger but I think that that he and MacTavish are in for a rude awakening. Still, it's nice to establish expectations.
I don't know, i think the talent is there to take a big jump in the standings. They just need the right leadership to steer them in the right direction. The lack of leadership from not only the coaching staff but also the core members of the old guard (way too soft) is a big reason for the recent failures.
I don't know if Eakins is the guy to steer them in the right direction but it sure does seem like he has the right intentions. Also, bringing in an on ice leader like Ference is sure to help as well.

Old
09-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Someone inside Oilers training camp has told me that Brown's awesome mustache has returned.
source ?

Old
09-11-2013, 02:53 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Lots of GA
Both Brown and Kenopka are decent PKers. Kenopka can win faceoffs. All 3 are decent skaters, Eager was the fastest Oiler player last year, I dont think they'd have to much of an issue filling the bang and crash roll for 8 minutes a night while keeping the puck out of their own net.

Old
09-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Soli
"Punish & Enslave"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Grouchy Smurf View Post
source ?
Gregor's been tweeting about it as well.

Old
09-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
Fitness is step one to bringing a mental compete level. Once the players get that they need to stay fit, they will realize that they can do more than they did before which increases their confidence level. Then once the confidence level kicks in, the mental compete level will come right behind it. I remember when I started working out, I was surprised how little pushups I could do. Once I kept pushing myself harder and harder, I gained more confidence and gained a more competitive edge.
Agreed too, but again, these are professional players. If they need to be "scammed", "advised", "coerced" into staying in the utmost shape for your NHL career, then that's a problem.
You're talking about Motivation. Which should be absolutely paramount on a team trying to prove themselves, much less a professional athlete. That's also red flags if not rectified.

Case in point, after watching Behind the B (Boston Bruins version of Oil Change), the management brass describes Tyler Seguin as not playing, or buying into their system, not working on the things they asked him 3 years ago, and "babysitting".

I just want to see him talk about motivating the players to play harder. That's a true leader. Too much of this fitness crap right now. Let's see how hard Hemsky forechecks, let's see how hard our defenceman run a guy on the boards, let's see Ryan Jones actually finishing a bodycheck that isn't a light rub.

Old
09-11-2013, 03:08 PM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Both Brown and Kenopka are decent PKers. Kenopka can win faceoffs. All 3 are decent skaters, Eager was the fastest Oiler player last year, I dont think they'd have to much of an issue filling the bang and crash roll for 8 minutes a night while keeping the puck out of their own net.
Konopka is not a decent PKer, he's just good on the dot and is stuck on the ice half the time, that's all. Minny is probably attempting to figure out who between he and Steckel can skate back to the bench faster...

Old
09-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Yak City

I believe that there's a difference between being typically fit for an NHL player (which is still really fit!) and actually devoting extra time and effort to fitness. When I get some time I can try to dig up the article, but I remember reading about the 2006 Oilers attributing quite a bit of that season's (near) success to the Pronger-led fitness regime at the time.

Everything Eakins says and does, I like him more.

Old
09-11-2013, 03:32 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

eakins is making sure the team is in prime shape, he told the players what his expectations are and he is holding them to it. Eakins wants to have the elite in elite shape so when we are down by a goal he can play T.Hall and Yakupov 8-9 minutes in the third period.

I also think this is part of the reason ference was brought in, aside from the obvious need for a top 4 dman. AF is a fitness freak, exercise, diet etc etc. it wasnt a secret he was and maybe they are hoping that some of that can be passed onto the younger players.

I also wouldnt be surprised to see eakins implement a nutrition plan. i know players who eat Kraft dinner for lunch 3-4 times a week when they are at home. if you think there aren't oilers who do it you're wrong.

Old
09-11-2013, 03:39 PM
scid14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
eakins is making sure the team is in prime shape, he told the players what his expectations are and he is holding them to it. Eakins wants to have the elite in elite shape so when we are down by a goal he can play T.Hall and Yakupov 8-9 minutes in the third period.

I also think this is part of the reason ference was brought in, aside from the obvious need for a top 4 dman. AF is a fitness freak, exercise, diet etc etc. it wasnt a secret he was and maybe they are hoping that some of that can be passed onto the younger players.

I also wouldnt be surprised to see eakins implement a nutrition plan. i know players who eat Kraft dinner for lunch 3-4 times a week when they are at home. if you think there aren't oilers who do it you're wrong.
Haha I remember Ebs (or maybe it was Hall himself) talking about all the KD Hall eats in a video where they were showing their house.

Old
09-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post

Oh I believe it. I remember an interview with our young guns talking about how they would have pizza, steak, fries and burgers after every game and some would gorge on pasta pre game. It was an eye opener when I first heard it, and I'm sure there has to be a plan in place for this. This has to be a organizational implementation, not just the pro team. OKC better be talking hard about eating/training habits.

Closed Thread